(Topic ID: 29484)

Ummm...Just Because They Say Its Been Clearcoated.**Seller Eric Francis/WPB,FL**

By charles4400

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

clap.gif
toughguy2.jpg
zpfile001.jpg
zpfile000.jpg
Img_3130.jpg
Img_3122.jpg
Img_3129.jpg
Img_3127.jpg
Img_3123.jpg
Img_3069.jpg
Img_3071.jpg
Img_3070.jpg
Img_3067.jpg
zpfile001.jpg
zpfile000.jpg
Img_3061.jpg
There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 11 years ago

Live and learn.
You should definitely have been more careful, paying so much to ship a game from FL.

Definitely post the name of the seller so we don't get hosed in the same way.

#102 11 years ago

The OP obviously didn't use PP or CC. This is in reply to the other 10 posts asking the same.

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Live and learn.
You should definitely have been more careful, paying so much to ship a game from FL.
Definitely post the name of the seller so we don't get hosed in the same way.

Once again...the best way to avoid getting hosed is to demand high-res pictures. Next step is to do a better job interviewing the seller. Another safeguard is to solicit help from a trusted pinsider, friend, family member (whatever). If you don't know a trusted pinsider/friend/family member in a part of the country, you might want to avoid purchasing from that region. I'm a Florida collector of fairly high-end pins and I'd gladly help someone appraise a pin if it were fairly local to me.

Charles seems like a really nice guy who unfortunately did a bad deal. Since deals involve 2 parties, spending too much time demonizing the seller is misguided. It's just one guy, and the likelihood of anyone dealing with this person is extremely low. Their are larger lessons to be learned from this thread!

#104 11 years ago

Well, I for one would appreciate knowing who the seller is, so I can avoid him. The condition is a joke and the pin was misrepresented.

I am curious as well if the OP used paypal or some other form of payment where there might be an avenue of resolution. I for one don't think they will just side with the buyer like many on Pinside assume. It's also the reason buyers should not be expected to gift paypal or pay with check since they should be afforded some peace of mind too. I think the seller needs the buyer more so than the opposite way around.

I wish you the best of luck in getting some compensation. I also think the PF can be drastically improved. I know it's not what you expected to do, but might be be quite satisfying fixing the poor workmanship.

#105 11 years ago

Well, I know of dozens of transactions among myself and other pinsiders across the country, and this is the very first one I've seen or heard of like this one. For the most part, people on this forum are always honorable and great to deal with.

I don't think this is the norm here.

#106 11 years ago

I know the seller personally, and have had many dealings with him in the past. I also help set this deal up and now I'm sorry I did. I never had any issues with any deals I made with him. I truely hope that the two of you can work something out that makes both parties involved happy.

Bob

#107 11 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I know the seller personally, and have had many dealings with him in the past. I also help set this deal up and now I'm sorry I did. I never had any issues with any deals I made with him. I truely hope that the two of you can work something out that makes both parties involved happy.
Bob

Hopefully he responds to reason. This Paragon's playfield is toast. The value of the pin is not more than 500-600. At $1300 for the sale I'd say $500 recompense is a bargain. He's got two options, settle up amicably and recover with some dignity, or play it dirty and have crap for reputation - and a mob of people that want his head on plate, self included.

#108 11 years ago

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Maybe get compensation from person who misled you?
In other words HE PAYS for it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paragon, 1979 Bally
Original Bally paragon pinball machine. Nice backglass. Works with sound O.K. Has at least 1 broken drop target, and 3 of 5 of the 6 digit displays are weak. I have 'new' 6 digit glasses to install. Just wanted to see what demand existed for this popular game.
Dan Tiemeyer, Phone: 316 262 1325
Wichita, Kansas 67213

Posted: 9 October 2012

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Hopefully he responds to reason. This Paragon's playfield is toast. The value of the pin is not more than 500-600. At $1300 for the sale I'd say $500 recompense is a bargain. He's got two options, settle up amicably and recover with some dignity, or play it dirty and have crap for reputation - and a mob of people that want his head on plate, self included.

I agree, I sent him an email but as of yet have not heard from him. Had I known the condition of the playfield I would no have gotten involved

#110 11 years ago

ouch that hurts,,

#111 11 years ago

I'm actually pretty surprised at the responses you are getting about you getting money back. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree its not something you were seeing when purchased and the seller knew this was a problem and I too think you should get money back....my experience was similar ( different seller) with a champion pub.

Ended up finding out the seller soldered a 26 gauge wire to an 18 gauge with no heat shrink sleeve or electrical tape and shoved it back under the boxer motor. This would have been impossible to see without cutting the tube around the wires. In turn this was taking out the processor.

Everybody told me I bought it and lesson learned....there is no way I could have checked this without ruining part of the machine.

The pinsider still happily posts here and feels he did nothing wrong even though he admitted to "fixing" this.

I hope you get some money back man

#112 11 years ago

Seems he's getting money back...it's just how much. $500 is letting him off easy and he should jump on it!

#113 11 years ago
Quoted from dlbuller:

I'm actually pretty surprised at the responses you are getting about you getting money back.

I think it's because this clear coat is so egregious, no one is taking the other side.

#114 11 years ago

Agree with you frolic,.. I guess my point was both sellers knew they had something to hide... Did their best to hide it successfully. I guess I was just stupid. Just sucks shady people are out there. My seller even later sold a gnr that was dropped down a flight of stairs (without disclosing this)!!!

#116 11 years ago

I would call him and ask for a refund and if he says no I would try to get my money back through PP. That game is a POS, no offense, and it isn't worth anything the way it is.

#117 11 years ago

Typing through phone right now so can't say all I want...will do after work.

First off thanks everyone here for your input and support. I really do appreciate it and your perspectives are very very helpful in this issue. The pinside community is by and large a great representation of the pinball community as a whole! And I for one think everyone here is pretty damn awesome!

I have not gotten any money back as I won't accept what he has to offer and I won't kiss ass to get a few hundred bucks back either as he wanted me to 'straighten things out on the board ' I assume before he hands any cash back.

I don't think he will man up to this as he has had plenty of time to do so already.

I asked him to give his side here but no show either.

I am pretty sure that no one here would be satisfied here receiving this pf in the condition that its in and I believe that everyone knows (including him) that the intention on the sale from his part was dishonest. Even those who believe it is my fault for not getting more detailed pics know deep down that he misrepresented the pf because we are all pinheads here and know at least what a pf should not look like.

I don't think anyone here believes the blatant lie that he never took off the glass and had no idea what it was like which is what he told me in email. He has sold and bought many machines and he is not new to this hobby.

Eric, if you are reading this, do the right thing, pictures don't lie, and your rep is more important than fast cash.

I'll finish all this up when I get home from work, so hope to hear from you before then.

#118 11 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

ouch that hurts,,

your damn right it hurts Rich, I vouched for him, now I look like a dick!!!

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

In for a penny, in for a pound.Maybe get compensation from person who misled you?In other words HE PAYS for it!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Paragon, 1979 BallyOriginal Bally paragon pinball machine. Nice backglass. Works with sound O.K. Has at least 1 broken drop target, and 3 of 5 of the 6 digit displays are weak. I have 'new' 6 digit glasses to install. Just wanted to see what demand existed for this popular game.Dan Tiemeyer, Phone: 316 262 1325Wichita, Kansas 67213Posted: 9 October 2012

That is not the seller!

#120 11 years ago

True. My seller is just a flipper. Cleans them up real nice, "fixes" them and profits. Hope he doesn't scam anybody else here. Sorry for the thread jack! Again hope you get your money back man.

#121 11 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

your damn right it hurts Rich, I vouched for him, now I look like a dick!!!

For the record I have no hard feelings towards you whatsoever for the referral or for the vouch. You were helping me out on a wtb and connecting me to your buddy. You didn't know it would be like this.

I have no ill feelings towards you one bit and don't thi.k you are a Dick.

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

As a Florida collector, and a huge Paragon fan, I'm ashamed of the seller just looking at these pictures. Embarrassing, amateurish, and disgraceful. Florida has a great group of collectors and players, and I can say unequivocally, that the seller does NOT represent the vast majority of great folks I've met in this hobby here in the Sunshine State. I hope the seller "mans-up" and refunds the buyer a minimum of the $500 requested. Sorry Charles for your bad experience. Paragon is a beautiful machine, and I hope you eventually get (or salvage from this mess) a great example for your collection.

Well said. I too am ashamed. Hope he mans up. You have been more then cival by not mentioning his name. Word is spreading about who it is. I wil stay clear!

We should have a charity fund for this op so he gets his 500 or a new playfield.

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

That is not the seller!

Pin-It should delete his post in the event someone searches for that name later and finds this thread and thinks he had something to do with this transaction.

#124 11 years ago

The seller now has to take leap of faith on his own, give you the $500, and then "things will be made right on the board". Silly to hold the money ransom, since it will not help.

No fault has to be accepted by the seller, he can continue to claim he didn't know, but wants to satisfy the customer. Then it's settled and everyone can move on.

#125 11 years ago

This is a valuable lesson for the rest of us. Sorry to see this, buddy. Hope everything works out for ya.

#126 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Pin-It should delete his post in the event someone searches for that name later and finds this thread and thinks he had something to do with this transaction.

Good point, poster.

To the seller:

If you "didn't take off the glass" to get a look at what you were selling as a professionally clear coated playfield, it was an accident or oversight on your part. It happens. Right your wrong. You owe the buyer more than $200 shut up money. Give him $500.

If you knew that you were selling garbage all along, took pictures to disguise the garbage, shipped the garbage expecting to just get away with it, you owe the buyer more than $200 shut up money. Give him $500

#127 11 years ago

I agree, it would be like if I sold a TV or something, never turned it on, and the buyer tells me it is missing colors or something. As a reputable seller I'd have to eat it.

#128 11 years ago

Where in LA are you man? Let's play pinball sometime!

#129 11 years ago
Quoted from radrats:

Where in LA are you man? Let's play pinball sometime!

Fo sure radrats. Let's try and plan a holiday hook up.

#130 11 years ago

All I can say is that I am sorry you ended up paying for someone's shoddy work. This kind of shit drives me crazy! Does anyone remember how to be honest?

I hope you somehow straighten out your deal with this guy.

#131 11 years ago

Will definitely steer clear.

#132 11 years ago

*UPDATE*

Hi everyone! Let me again start off by thanking everyone for their concerns and PMs about this. I HUGE thanks to all, wish I could espress that better than a simple THANK YOU...but really THANK YOU ALL!

The seller's name is:
Eric Francis
West Palm Beach, FL
[email protected]

Goes by the name Kawikid on the villagebbs.com

There is thread there which mentions this thread, as that is the forum he frequents.
http://www.villagebbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,17172.0.html

Here is his orignal FS thread there:
http://www.villagebbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,16834.0.html

I can't accept his resolution as I don't believe it adequete and he has had more than enough time to make things right.
I am no longer dealing with him.

#133 11 years ago

holy shit is that playfield a POS. If you sent that to me, i'd have to charge at least $600-700 to fix that. Your better off getting a nicer used one, and having that restored and then do a hot swap. Someone doesn't know what clearcoated playfield actually means.

#134 11 years ago

I am a little surprised the villagers have not jumped on this guy. I love that board also.

#135 11 years ago

Neo - you could fix it though right? Not economical, but could be done?

#136 11 years ago

I am pretty sure the villagers have .

#137 11 years ago

just incase you need this...

http://www.mailpoop.com/

#138 11 years ago

Woot! I love this!

"We also offer the Extra Mad Special for Grande orders. This amazing mess is heat sealed in black bag the mess runs $30.00"

#139 11 years ago

I would have accepted his offer to refund the machine plus the $100 for shipping, waited for the money to come through and stripped it bare. Removed boards, plastics, power supply, flippers, replaced the back glass with a crappy scan. Sold it all and bought a proper one with the proceeds

#140 11 years ago

My friend, Jack, lives in West Palm. I'll ask if he can knock on the door!

#141 11 years ago

$200 was offered, so really this fell apart because the seller didn't want to kick in an extra $300. Shame. Now this thread gets to come up every time someone google's his name.

#142 11 years ago

I vote that we all collectively start signing him up for every spam email and snail mail that we can...

#143 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I vote that we all collectively start signing him up for every spam email and snail mail that we can...

I'm in!

#144 11 years ago

1. This sucks. Sorry you got screwed. My only pin was shipped from CA to TN and I worried the whole time, and there were a few little issues, but the seller made it right. It is awful to be screwed after you've trusted someone.

2. Next time I need villagers with pitchforks and torches for a good cause, I know there to go.

#145 11 years ago

I am just assuming you guys are kidding? Hard to read joking on a website, but seriously?

#146 11 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I am just assuming you guys are kidding? Hard to read joking on a website, but seriously?

They are not joking.

#147 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I know Eric. Really nice guy. Whatever happened between these two should be resolved/not resolved between the two. No need for others who have never dealt with him to pile on this situation with this petty crap.

#149 11 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I know Eric. Really nice guy. Whatever happened between these two should be resolved/not resolved between the two. No need for others who have never dealt with him to pile on this situation with this petty crap.

Petty Crap????? I can't believe you are sticking up for him.

Since the amount of the fraud was more than $500, he will be lucky if he is not brought up on Federal Wire Fraud charges.

#150 11 years ago

One does need to be made example of to discourage future unethical pin sales.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 10.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 314 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ummmmjust-because-they-say-its-been-clearcoatedmy-cleared-paragon-pf/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.