(Topic ID: 85537)

Ultraviolet LEDs... Is there a place for them in pinball?

By cheesewhisperer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gmkalos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

42bb3dabed10def505d351674d0ce236cd58b681.jpg
    1bf879058229de5668658cbfe68f48e36106fb70.jpg
    02_Bam-Bam-02.jpg
    4473160.jpg
    uv ss.jpg
    inferno-fluorescent-room.jpg
    4+1 layers main2.jpg
    PDR_1199.JPG
    pops.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Have you considered using a few?
    Do they give you a headache?
    Are they terribly distracting?

#2 10 years ago

They're dim and suck is the answer for the most part. They're not going to give you much of a glow effect, more like just using dim purple bulbs.

#3 10 years ago

DR who on the the time expander. looks great

#4 10 years ago

Depends. A buddy of mine uses them on his TRON, and they look amazing. He has one of the neon plastics kits though and I believe they are meant to be used with UV lighting. It allows the colors in this specific instance to really pop out.

#5 10 years ago

put sunscreen on make sure it has both UVA and B blocker and to limit exposer take a 15 minute break after 15 minutes of play

#6 10 years ago

They work extremely well in certain situations.

#7 10 years ago

i like them in certain situations. they are not as bright as normal LEDs but they are a deeper purple than any other. i used them under these purple plastic rollover lane guides:

pops.jpgpops.jpg

(in real life they look less blue and more deep purple)

i also used them in a few places mixed with regular purple LEDs in the GI. But it's true they're not super bright.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

They work extremely well in certain situations.

I'd like to see how and in what situation. Everywhere I've tried them sucked....

#9 10 years ago

The look great with the plastics that are designed for them. The pop bumper dress up kit for Tron uses them, much better than a stock bulb. I even ordered a double stacked one for the larger pop bumper to give it more glow. Under a normal insert they won't do the job. Check out the information on them here. http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1845.htm

#10 10 years ago

On my STTNG, I have my Borg ship painted (by Matt at Back Alley) and I added neon green marker lines to emulate the look of a borg cube. I added in a spot with an ultraviolet-- and it gives it a really beautiful glow!

#11 10 years ago

I put them under the lane guides, slings, and pop bumper caps in my Tron and the effect is sweet. I'm using them in combination with the Pinbits plastic protectors (aka playfield dress up kit), and non-stock pop bumper caps. The aforementioned plastics really glow in a cool UV way. Probably not worth doing just the bulbs by themselves. They are not as bright. It's their ability to make other things glow that I like.

#12 10 years ago

I think blue Superbright or F'ing Bright LEDs work better.

#13 10 years ago

I was wondering if the gray Nuclear Towers in TSPP might benefit from a few...?

#14 10 years ago

I'm at the start of converting my basement into a full fledged arcade complete with UV reactive carpet and 6 3-tube blacklight fixtures from Wildfire. One thing that Wildfire offers is UV reactive paint that is clear under white light, but highly UV reactive.

You can find the paints here: http://www.wildfirefx.com/wildfire_net/ProductDesc.aspx?code=163&type=1&eq=&key=it

I think this can open up plenty of opportunities for those with a bit of imagination and some artistic skills.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

My guess is you'll find them too dim to really pop like you're hoping. But bulbs are cheap, why not buy a couple and find out?

#16 10 years ago

I'll throw this idea out there...

Hook up some UV LED strips to the PIG thingy so they only turn on when a controlled lamp is lit. The UV light reveals an alternate image on the side panels of the game. I pick the side panels because the GI lights would wash out the UV effect on the plastics and you would have to clearcoat over anything painted on the playfield.

Check out the dual images that can be achieved with this method.

http://www.wildfirefx.com/applications/architech.aspx

#17 10 years ago

Try painting the inside of the towers with the Wildfire clear UV paint and add the UV LEDs. I'm thinking it might give you a nuclear green glow from the inside. It could be the effect you're looking for.

#18 10 years ago

Those nuclear towers look killer with color changing LEDs.

#19 10 years ago

Put them under Drac's coffin in BSD. Very cool effect.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nemesis:

I'd like to see how and in what situation. Everywhere I've tried them sucked....

I put them in the slings of CV. the slings are clear for the most part, and everything else I put in there was just too bright. hard to capture the effect with a picture, but they look awesome in person...

PDR_1199.JPGPDR_1199.JPG

#21 10 years ago

In most all cases, the Purple you see, based on wavelength, doesnt light much. People wrongly expect a huge UV Glow from one bulb. When it is placed with UV reacting plastic, and to a degree, regular plastics in most games, it will make them "Glow".

An exception to this is when the UV has a Blue Cast in a Super-Flux. Then the Bulb glows Blue. About the brightness of a singled LED, or some what less then a frosted SMD...between the too.
    I very good UV affect is produced with this Superflux, and the light is more visible.....

4+1 layers main2.jpg4+1 layers main2.jpg

Plenty of Great uses, when using UV invisible Paint, and UV Dye....any toy on a playfield....Green UV on Path of the Dead,mixed with red and purple, The same on Dracs Graveyard, or UV sensitive plastic slings or protectors.
    Also the paints can be UV and photo-luminescent, So after the Bulb is off, the paint will glow in the dark..

Its not hard to get very dramatic affects, but it does take patience, and the knowledge that bulbs of single SMD
    that are most common, need to be close to the object.

#22 10 years ago

I have some behind the spinning disk on Black Hole. They looks cool but they are very dim.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from MadPole:

I'm at the start of converting my basement into a full fledged arcade complete with UV reactive carpet and 6 3-tube blacklight fixtures from Wildfire. One thing that Wildfire offers is UV reactive paint that is clear under white light, but highly UV reactive.
    You can find the paints here: http://www.wildfirefx.com/wildfire_net/ProductDesc.aspx?code=163&type=1&eq=&key=it
    I think this can open up plenty of opportunities for those with a bit of imagination and some artistic skills.

Watch this reactive carpet.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from MadPole:

If your still looking for bl carpet go to www.capridiscountflooring.com I bought my "Under the Sea" bl carpet from them, $19.99 per sq yard. Ask for Jessica Temple, she's a doll and will set you up. If it ships to a terminal near you you can pick it up yourself and save $100. That's what I did.

#25 10 years ago

This is the carpet I'm planning on using.

inferno-fluorescent-room.jpginferno-fluorescent-room.jpg

I like your set up. It's a cross between a fireworks show and the POW and BAM screen flashes on the 1960's Batman tv show.

#26 10 years ago

For all those that say the UV LEDs are dim. It's by design. It's ultra violet light. That's a wavelength that falls outside of the visible light spectrum. The only time you see UV light is when it hits a UV reactive substance.

Saying UV LEDs are dim is the same thing as saying ultra sonic speakers aren't very loud because you can't hear them.

#27 10 years ago

They may be delivering Uv light but what we were expecting was like the old blacklights we used to get at Spencers.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

They may be delivering Uv light but what we were expecting was like the old blacklights we used to get at Spencers.

Right, when I say they're dim, I mean they're dim. They don't output much, so even with UV reactive materials you don't get the same pop you might be expecting from a blacklight poster at a headshop.

#29 10 years ago

I feel the same about the output. I have a few I put under the dress up kit for tron and ive ended up buying quite a few more to help the glow.

#30 10 years ago

I use both led strips and spots in uv to light glow in the dark prototype SS.

uv ss.jpguv ss.jpg
    #31 10 years ago

I have a few in VND since it was made for that sort of thing, but the best spot that I found for them is easily in the coin slots.

If you use either white or red LEDs, the coin door is like a spotlight. If you use UV lights, they still glow normally, but they don't shine out of the coin door some crazy amount.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from MadPole:

This is the carpet I'm planning on using.

I like your set up. It's a cross between a fireworks show and the POW and BAM screen flashes on the 1960's Batman tv show.

inferno-fluorescent-room.jpg 20 KB

looks like Bam Bam Bigelow's head tattoo (RIP BBB)

#33 10 years ago

For reference and educational purposes...

4473160.jpg4473160.jpg

02_Bam-Bam-02.jpg02_Bam-Bam-02.jpg

4 years later
    #34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

+1.

Spencer Gifts!

The original black-light mecca!

They sold a lot toilet-humor gag gifts, too - turds and the like. Oh, and "adult" toys! For a seven-year-old, it was a thrill a minute!

The UV-light poster room was always chock full of "velvet" posters - all of which really popped when exposed to the UV light. Like one respondent here, the idea was to make your own UV-light den at home, and then line the walls with velvet posters. Velvet posters typically featured designs in neon set against ample black velvet. Many of the posters for sale in SG weren't UV-light reactive at all, but they were consistently in bad taste.

If I had to describe an example of the quintessential SG poster, it would be the image of a toilet supplemented with a contraption that wiped your ass while you pedaled. My dad was always mortified when he'd have to come into SG to gather me up. He never forbade me to go in there though. I was surprised to learn that SG is still a beacon of bad taste nationwide. Imagine! Rubber turds will always be in fashion I guess.

#35 5 years ago

7 diff types from Comet literally made this TFTC build. I have a vision of doing a '78 Playboy in all uv with two Night Viper glow balls I've been saving!

Check this video out...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p924jgpzev8kvig/045.AVI?dl=0

1bf879058229de5668658cbfe68f48e36106fb70.jpg1bf879058229de5668658cbfe68f48e36106fb70.jpg42bb3dabed10def505d351674d0ce236cd58b681.jpg42bb3dabed10def505d351674d0ce236cd58b681.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultraviolet-leds-is-there-a-place-for-them-in-pinball?hl=jason_jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.