Topic Stats

• 803 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by TheShadowsNose
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8941 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8943 (resized).jpeg
    81sN2m9ffWL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    81WFkg1E-+L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    20240108_113121 (resized).jpg
    20240108_083305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3534 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9587 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    IMG_9586 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    20231228_095339 (resized).jpg
    20231228_093608 (resized).jpg
    20231228_090313 (resized).jpg
    20231228_090054 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3274 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8061 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3273 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 9 years ago

After using now for 26 years, many cleaners, polishes, and parts can contaminate a tank, or cause different parts to discolor. I highly recommend glass jars/corning, to hold small parts for cleaning, separate cleaning solutions based on parts and needs. That way, a tank with water can clean several different separate types.
    Keeping pieces off the bottom prevent burn, and clean better.

Small particles of metal, or other, can scratch polished surfaces, so depending on the work, changing solution when needed is important.

I benefit from a commercial Steam cleaner, although not necc.
    like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Reliable-i500A-Stainless-Steel-3-Gallon-Jewelry/dp/B0008JHJIO/ref=sr_1_6

This removes any last dirt or cleaner, especially after polishing/buffing.

Today, I finish off the metal playfield parts that may be prone to oxidation, and seal with this self leveling evaporating product:

http://www.everbritecoatings.com/?gclid=CKL7x_i3uL8CFbRj7AoduCkAPQ

An amazing, foolproof product one should really look into....

#59 9 years ago

It depends also what you are cleaning.

One big reason I recommend a glass jar method. (also less cleaner/cost used)
    You can have small parts in a baby food jar, or 3 jars of 3 different cleaners with water around in the tank.
    Heated liquid helps a great deal.

Please do where you have 100% ventilation.

We have used everything from diluted lye, insanely caustic, **DANGER* DO NOT DO**, with rubber gloves, masks, and a ventilation system, to soap and water.
    So everything works, but before their is a debate on whats best, it depends on what you are putting in, and what you are trying to take off... think stains on the carpet.

Just remember that some solutions will damage certain parts, and some "dirt" can scratch pieces, after being cleaned and then vibrating in a solution.

Clean solution is important if chrome finished, high polished, or plastic to avoid scratches...

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

So wait you can put cleaner and parts in a jar then put that into the tank with just water in it? That would help greatly with changing the fluids that seem to do nothing for me... I really wanted this to work. The tumbler is awesome, ultrasonic is not. If I do jars I can heat them in the microwave before. Maybe that is the trick.

It, of course depends on the ultrasonic. The smallest "Jewelry" types, are not so strong to expect great results alone or with a glass jar. Larger ones yes. You fill the tank with water to the right level, and different jars of different solutions can go in next, try to keep them from chattering...(again, level surface, quality of ultrasonic)
    Heated, and ventilated. ( I wouldnt recommend heating the cleaner in a microwave, but you can heat the tank water, and mix hot water in your solution)

Remember this is a glorified toothbrush in many cases. It doesnt replace tumbling, but is often used after polishing of metals. and general dirt/grime removal help.

They are tremendously helpful, but sometimes peoples expectations, without experience, can be let down.

Quoted from Whysnow:

A word of warning, be very careful when cleaning plastics in an ultra. Depending on your specific solution and plastic, you can easily strip the art.

200% Right....Please dont put plastics with artwork on them in an ultrasonic.

1 month later
    #72 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

Nice tip on the glass containers Art, do you find it decreases penetration of the sound waves when you use thick glass?

Sorry...1 month old. It only decreases, if it is a low end unit, to the point of not worth doing.
    In a larger unit, like the one pictured, We would run 3 or 4 jars at once, each with a different solution,
    all resting off the bottom on plastic in a regular water solution, heated of course...Hot water helps a lot.
    From the jewelry industry, we also use magnetic tumblers...I havent tried that for pinball parts, and industrial focused
    high pressure steamers...I blast out anything left in threads, nooks, and difficult areas

1 month later
    #152 9 years ago

I have been using ultrasonics since they were made with vacuum tubes!
    Boy, those were thousands of dollars back then.
    A good friend reached out to me, as he is working for a new company that has, by specs, the most amazing cleaner, with exceptional feedback.
    It ships dry in Crystal form.

I should receive some this week to test and share back.

Because they only sell large volume, Ill make up some samples, (If I am pleased, and I believe it will be great) and offer them free for others to test.

Id be curious to hear feedback.

Art

1 week later
    #176 9 years ago

Testing a New Product....It was very expensive in Liquid.

(I have used the liquid to great success)

It has been made available in Reactive Crystal Form....Ships Dry and inexpensive.

If it works well, Ill post up for some free samples to get some feedback.....

#180 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

What sort of homemade solutions do you guys use in your ultrasonic cleaners? I've heard of that rubbing alcohol / water is good for shell cases, but water / ammonia / white vinegar is better for jewelry. What has worked well for you?

If you mix your own, and wish to use ammonia, please be sure to find ammonia with no additives...scent, or anything.....these agents can leave a milky white film on metal.

Most people are using there on mix of detergent or mean green.

I found a superior product, available powdered that usually sells for $30-$40 a pound to the electronic industry and jewelry industry.
    I tested $.50 worth, approx 6 grams in a 1 gallon Harbor Freight, and Boards, Coils, etc, cleaned in about 40-80 seconds! It really was quite phenomenal.

I will be posting pictures and info, along with offering free samples posted only here, on Black Friday, for 1 ounce bags. I was told 1 ounce will do 5-10 gallons, but I used more.
    Ill hope for strength feedback with these samples, and hope they are help to everyone.

I have this a very superior product, that stores dry, and would be better, and hopefully equal or less
    in cost....but Ill await public opinion.

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would love to try the powder product. I have an LED order incoming if you want to send some of this magic powder along

Sure Hilton,

Ill be happy to add that in your order.....Your Input, is always appreciated!

#187 9 years ago

I need a name!.....maybe, "Mystery Dust....."???
    Lets see what people think first....Ill Post some pics I took shortly.

2 months later
    #278 9 years ago

Somethings just take some time....

Ultra Dust....A superior Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution is now available in 2 oz Sample Packs for Free!
    (+ shipping)
    30 2-2 oz packages, 1 per customer, are available only to Pinsiders through this link:

http://www.cometpinball.com/ULTRADUST-p/ultradust.htm

A superior Cleaning Product designed especially for the Electronic and Jewelry Industry
    is now available for Pin Fans!

Rinses Clean...No Residue!
    Easier to store!...in Powder Form!
    Safer for your Electronic Pieces then Green and Purple Liquid Cleaners.
    Better Control of Cleaning Strength
    Designed for Safe cleaning of Electronic Parts
    Less Expensive then Liquids....by not paying for "water"

One ounce will make 1-3 Gallons of Cleaner!!!!

Feedback is appreciated...!

Art

flippers before and after.jpgflippers before and after.jpg

ultradust logo.jpgultradust logo.jpg

Target before and after.jpgTarget before and after.jpg
    coil before and after.jpgcoil before and after.jpg

circuit board before and after.jpgcircuit board before and after.jpg

#285 9 years ago

I agree with you. (and congrats on a long career in plating...tough job!) When I read the ratios of cleaner used, I do sense overkill on the cleaning fluid/material ratio. An indeed, parts touching each other for a long time will create marks, as well as a polished piece going into a dirty tank. The suspended particles can scratch the polish.

for John...

I have used a ratio of one ounce to 10 gallons to clean, and in a fresh tank heated 110-140 degrees.
    Depending on the Ultrasonic, the solution, the part and nature of the material being removed, boards took about 1-2 minutes...( I had a real tough one take 5), the coil and target was done in the same.
    The flipper needed a little brushing.

So, best to check frequently, the first few times, and start with a weaker solution....you can always add. In the case of Ultrasonic cleaning, more cleaner, as shown in posts, isnt always better.

Art

#288 9 years ago

Thank you...I have a few Surprises to send you too!

#291 9 years ago
    Quoted from Leo13:

Hey Art, I know what to add to my next order

As long as it fits in a Box!

1 week later
    #328 9 years ago

So Sorry, John. (42 games? Wow!) The free samples are gone...but only $3.95, if my memory is working for several gallons made.

Ready for any feedback...hopefully good, from those who received samples or ordered.

4 months later
    #355 8 years ago
    Quoted from Superchicken:

I am using Ultra Dust and it has worked great so far. I have used it for metal, plastic and boards.
    Next up will be a wiring harness for SBM.

Thank you for the mention.

I dont want to seem pushy, but this stuff is amazing!
    It is the green stuff people like, just chemically adjusted for electronics.

Nonetheless, I have cleaned my house, some old slots, the garage floor, as well as ultrasonic parts.
    The undercarriage and wheels/wheel wells in my car too!

1 month later
    #368 8 years ago

Try 2 OZ of this:

Its made by a "Simple Green" manufacturer. You dont have to pay to ship, and shelf water, and you can control
    your own strength.

It also has a few extra ingredients added for the electronic industry, this formula being using to clean boards, etc.

Cleans lots of everything too. half a teaspoon in a spray bottle....

Art

1 month later
    #395 8 years ago

I have found through the years keeping clean water in the tank and a double boiler, glass or bags, keeps a tank from contamination.

It also allows harsher cleaners, when needed, to be kept separate,

...and yes...the hum, I am sensitive too.

I also, from the Jewelry Industry, use a up to 120 pound per square inch hot jet steamer, to get anything left in cracks blown out with ease.

s-l500.jpgs-l500.jpg

2 weeks later
    #425 8 years ago

Black Friday Secret Info! ....A Nice Sale on Ultradust!!!

1 week later
    #428 8 years ago
    Quoted from PjM:

Yea, I got an ultra sonic cleaner last week and felt the same. I bought the ultra sonic cleaner from Comet Pinball last Friday. I will see if that makes the difference.

Start with less...in a clean tank...many people over add cleaner.....

#431 8 years ago

The Powder we sell, is along the lines of Simple green with a couple additional agents designed for electronics, circuit boards, and therefore its rinsing.
    Because one isnt paying for "water" the storage of, the shelf space of, and at home its degradation, Powder is whats used as an industry standard, or a liquid concentrate.

1 oz of powder can produce from 1-5 gallons.

At home, I make 4-5 gallons for spray cleaner around my property.
    In Ultrasonic, I use 1 0z for 1-2 gallons in a cleaner.

If one has stubborn issues, like rubber residue on a flipper, adding more cleaner wont clean better...some actually have to get scrubbed.

A common mistake is to keep piling on cleaner, which doesnt help too much, wastes it, and can result in contamination or dulling...

Start slow and easy if you are new.

5 months later
    #465 7 years ago

Ill plug away again for UltraDust again, as more posts on cleaners have come up.

Most all cleaning solutions or powders, Green, Purple, Scientific, and UltraDust, do a great job of cleaning,
    but only Ultradust, has 2 additional ingredients, and a couple NOT added as the manufacturer tells me, that makes it safer, and designed for electronics.
    I dont honestly know what they are, but I have worked with the company many years, seen the factory, know the rep for around 20 years, and value that they ship this to board manufacturers, and component manufacturers.
    A great deal today is shipped to Mexico, where much fabrication takes place.

A quality Ultrasonic, with heating, makes an easy job. Less cleaner is better.
    Ive done most of a games whole plastics, and small parts in two mixes of about 1/2 ounce total usage.....about $1.00 worth.
    I have it stored with all my other cleaners, and enjoy that its a powder, always ready, no liquid spills, and is less in cost then a liquid, in many cases....(Sorry about the postage to guys in Canada).

Id recommend a small 2 OZ package if you have another order, as it can be added to free shipping packages as well.

Art

#471 7 years ago

Oh absolutely, the strength needed of solution depends on heat, ultrasonic, and the nature of cleaning.
    It's not ever the same. Light boards take very little, as the carbon dust would wipe off. Polished metal with red rouge, needs at least twice the cleaner than green rouge. Caked on flippers...tougher.
    I always start light, and see the results.
    Games that have salt water corrosion, is different then just dirt or grease, and may not help as much.
    With the variety of both equipment in ultrasonics, water temp, and state of material, age, etc, it's variable, but not too hard.
    While it's always easier to add, if you've used the solution, you can strain through a coffee filter, and dilute.
    After a few tries, you'll grab the
    Version of a pinch here or there like
    a chef cooling, as opposed to an absolute measurement.
    Sorry if this wasn't apparent, it can be
    a hard thing to describe, and not know
    how to answer, short of lots of pics and some guessing.
    The water should never get thick or too dark. Filtering, especially to remove anything suspended that could become abbrasive. I also use separate bath jars,
    Some with a strainer for small metal nuts, bults etc. Hanging racks help.
    Hope this helps...it's just my opinion, and
    I'm sure there are other experiences.
    I've used this for Pinball for only a couple games, but have used ultrasonic, electrocleaning, and plating for 40 years, but I'm sure in Pinball those who have done more games, and have shared in this thread, would have specific part, game, or grime answers.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultrasonic-cleaners?tu=oldpinguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.