Topic Stats

• 806 posts
  • 196 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by MrMikeman
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8941 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8943 (resized).jpeg
    81sN2m9ffWL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    81WFkg1E-+L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    20240108_113121 (resized).jpg
    20240108_083305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3534 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9587 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    IMG_9586 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    20231228_095339 (resized).jpg
    20231228_093608 (resized).jpg
    20231228_090313 (resized).jpg
    20231228_090054 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3274 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8061 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3273 (resized).jpeg
    There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.
    #51 9 years ago

I bought the little guy from HF. It is junk...

#52 9 years ago

I bought the big HF one. I'm OK with it, but since I never had a big one (ultrasonic cleaner, that is), I really don't know if I would like a big one better.

I use 100% Mean Green as my solution. If/when some evaporates, I add a bit more water or Mean Green, if I'm feeling froggy.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Bryan, which do you have?

Mine is a Kendal #HB-S-49DHT. It holds most anything I need to clean, even the harnesses from the cabinet. It isn't quite big enough for the playfield harnesses though.

#54 9 years ago

I have a quite small one, which costed 150 EUR. I have never seen it clean anything - I just does not work with any solvent I have tried it with (vinegar etc.). I guess I should upgrade, but I am weary on this - I would like to receive a reasonable cost machine that really does the job right. This is a good thread, keep the suggestions coming!

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

I've got the little one from Harbor Freight. It's OK. It sits on the counter and purrs like a baby kitten and does stuff. I don't see a huge advantage to using it versus warm soapy water and a brush, so I would not recommend it.
    I'm tempted to buy one of the big cleaners, but I wish I knew someone with one so I could see how well they actually work first. I think if I was going to drop $250 on a cleaner, I would buy a big tumbler first.

you likely aren't using the right solution(s) in it then...

ultrasonic cleaners "clean"... tumblers "polish"... 2 different tools (although some use tumblers for cleaning, it really isn't the correct tool for the job)...

#56 9 years ago

Just found someone local selling the $89 Harbour Freight model for $35. It was only used once and I picked it up. Haven't tried it yet but excited to give it a go. I didn't mind risking $35 to test out this way of cleaning.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

you likely aren't using the right solution(s) in it then...
    ultrasonic cleaners "clean"... tumblers "polish"... 2 different tools (although some use tumblers for cleaning, it really isn't the correct tool for the job)...

Recommend a solution please. I use vinegar distilled water and grease lightning and it does absolutely nothing...

#58 9 years ago

Half Mean Green and half water works well even in my cheapo $25 ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon.

I'd love to see what some of the cleaners discussed in this thread can do.

#59 9 years ago

It depends also what you are cleaning.

One big reason I recommend a glass jar method. (also less cleaner/cost used)
    You can have small parts in a baby food jar, or 3 jars of 3 different cleaners with water around in the tank.
    Heated liquid helps a great deal.

Please do where you have 100% ventilation.

We have used everything from diluted lye, insanely caustic, **DANGER* DO NOT DO**, with rubber gloves, masks, and a ventilation system, to soap and water.
    So everything works, but before their is a debate on whats best, it depends on what you are putting in, and what you are trying to take off... think stains on the carpet.

Just remember that some solutions will damage certain parts, and some "dirt" can scratch pieces, after being cleaned and then vibrating in a solution.

Clean solution is important if chrome finished, high polished, or plastic to avoid scratches...

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It depends also what you are cleaning.
    One big reason I recommend a glass jar method. (also less cleaner/cost used)
    You can have small parts in a baby food jar, or 3 jars of 3 different cleaners with water around in the tank.
    Heated liquid helps a great deal.
    Please do where you have 100% ventilation.
    We have used everything from diluted lye, insanely caustic, **DANGER* DO NOT DO**, with rubber gloves, masks, and a ventilation system, to soap and water.
    So everything works, but before their is a debate on whats best, it depends on what you are putting in, and what you are trying to take off... think stains on the carpet.
    Just remember that some solutions will damage certain parts, and some "dirt" can scratch pieces, after being cleaned and then vibrating in a solution.
    Clean solution is important if chrome finished, high polished, or plastic to avoid scratches...

So wait you can put cleaner and parts in a jar then put that into the tank with just water in it? That would help greatly with changing the fluids that seem to do nothing for me... I really wanted this to work. The tumbler is awesome, ultrasonic is not. If I do jars I can heat them in the microwave before. Maybe that is the trick.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Recommend a solution please. I use vinegar distilled water and grease lightning and it does absolutely nothing...

I use half water and half Purple Power. I heat the water to about 160 degrees. I run everything for 10 minutes. Cleans like a charge.

#62 9 years ago

A word of warning, be very careful when cleaning plastics in an ultra. Depending on your specific solution and plastic, you can easily strip the art.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

So wait you can put cleaner and parts in a jar then put that into the tank with just water in it? That would help greatly with changing the fluids that seem to do nothing for me... I really wanted this to work. The tumbler is awesome, ultrasonic is not. If I do jars I can heat them in the microwave before. Maybe that is the trick.

It, of course depends on the ultrasonic. The smallest "Jewelry" types, are not so strong to expect great results alone or with a glass jar. Larger ones yes. You fill the tank with water to the right level, and different jars of different solutions can go in next, try to keep them from chattering...(again, level surface, quality of ultrasonic)
    Heated, and ventilated. ( I wouldnt recommend heating the cleaner in a microwave, but you can heat the tank water, and mix hot water in your solution)

Remember this is a glorified toothbrush in many cases. It doesnt replace tumbling, but is often used after polishing of metals. and general dirt/grime removal help.

They are tremendously helpful, but sometimes peoples expectations, without experience, can be let down.

Quoted from Whysnow:

A word of warning, be very careful when cleaning plastics in an ultra. Depending on your specific solution and plastic, you can easily strip the art.

200% Right....Please dont put plastics with artwork on them in an ultrasonic.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

+1. Found this one out the wrong way this morning. Solution was mixture of water, purple power and dawn dish soap. I was only going to run it for a 480 second cycle but got interrupted by my 7 month old waking up from a nap screaming. went back down about 30 minutes later and pulled stuff out of the ultra and a bunch of the paint was stripped off my plastics. My heart sank as this was on a game where plastics aren't easy to come by. I've run printed plastics in the past with Simple Green/water/dawn and haven't had a problem but this is the first and last time with Purple power. Luckily I found some replacement plastics on Ebay but from now on I'm not even going to chance putting printed plastics in the ultrasonic!

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I wouldn't trust running plastics threw the ultrasound. They get cleaned by hand.

#66 9 years ago

I have put plastics in my ultrasonicator, but only do so with water and a small amount of dawn and simple green or windex. However, always spot check first and use a hidden or junk plastic if you are going to risk it.

By hand is always safest, but I know some will still use the sonicator.

1 week later
    #67 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I bought the little guy from HF. It is junk...

Please clarify... compared to a brush and soapy water it's far more efficient, getting inside joints and crevices a brush or rag cannot. I did an entire playfield with the little guy and everything went from black and greasy to like-new with no more effort than throwing in parts and dumping them onto a towel to dry.

#68 9 years ago

Just stripped a playfield down and used the HF large size ultrasonic.
    Gotta say I am very impressed. Never used one of these before.
    Just used some Mean Green and hot water as the cleaner.
    First batch was some metal ball guides and gates. They came out very shiny and clean.
    Second batch was all the playfield screws. They now look like new from the store.
    Third I did the entire ball eject assembly minus the coil and the trough parts. Simply amazing.
    Wonder how I ever did without one of these little devils.

#69 9 years ago

Nice tip on the glass containers Art, do you find it decreases penetration of the sound waves when you use thick glass?

Also, any feedback on other solutions? I've been experimenting with a mix of 50/50 isopropyl and distilled water in my 27L because I like the evaporation properties and the lack of residue. Ammonia sounds interesting. I tried bleach in one of my smaller units which kicks butt but is pretty caustic of course.

1 month later
    #70 9 years ago

I bit and bought.

This thing is amazing. I threw a few coils in and the look like new.

#71 9 years ago

Where did you pick thatone up from and how much coin did you need to drop?

That is the #1 upgrade I would liek to have!

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

Nice tip on the glass containers Art, do you find it decreases penetration of the sound waves when you use thick glass?

Sorry...1 month old. It only decreases, if it is a low end unit, to the point of not worth doing.
    In a larger unit, like the one pictured, We would run 3 or 4 jars at once, each with a different solution,
    all resting off the bottom on plastic in a regular water solution, heated of course...Hot water helps a lot.
    From the jewelry industry, we also use magnetic tumblers...I havent tried that for pinball parts, and industrial focused
    high pressure steamers...I blast out anything left in threads, nooks, and difficult areas

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Amazon,$ 279 plus shipping.

NICE!

Please report back with any pros/cons or issues. Please let us know if you later wish you had gone 1 size bigger.

#75 9 years ago

The next jump is costly. I will be trying wire harnesses next. I might have to do them in partial loads. I don't care for the noise it makes .

untitled.pnguntitled.png
    #76 9 years ago

I bought this unit Tuesday on EBay. It shipped Wednesday & arrived Thursday. Total class act professional seller. Double boxed with superb packing. Ships out of NY so I was in the UPS one day range.

370.00 free ship for the 12L version. This will hold a complete harness and large metal playfield parts.
    The small sonic HF version is about 70.00 with coupon now. Great value but limited space. Won't work for bigger stuff plus takes time to do multiple loads. I used the HF for about a year and realized it was time for more capacity.

sonic.jpgsonic.jpg

#77 9 years ago

what size is yours skypilot? just want to make sure I know.

Also, will full flipper brackets fit in it?

#78 9 years ago

Kendal Commercial Grade Kendal 6 Liters 380 Watts HEATED ULTRASONIC CLEANER HB36
    by Kendal

Price: $279.00 + $15.49 shipping

3 x strengthened transducers make the ultrasonic more powerful (42 KHz and 180 Watts ultrasonic cleaning power) and provides remarkable cleaning results.
    Large tank -- Suitable for long dental equipment and tube. Tank Size: 11.8" (L) x 6.1" (W) x 6.0" (H). Tank working Capacity: 6 Liter (1.59 gallon)
    Heater -- Powerful heater (200 watts) makes the temperature reach the presetting one quickly -- significantly enhance cleaning.
    Digital program cleaning cycles ranging from 1 to 99 minutes--easy to operate. Digital temperature control with temperature ranging from 20 to 80 degree in Celsius (68 to 176 degree Fahrenheit).
    Drains with flow control valve for easy cleaning and rinsing. Power Supply: AC 100-1

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Also, will full flipper brackets fit in it?

Yes

#80 9 years ago

#81 9 years ago

correction: I think this is right but seller may adjust prices often to inventory.

The KENDAL SONIC CLEANERS are sold on ebay user name: the_shining_image. Sold on Amazon under the seller name: New Shining Image. Ebay is a better deal. Amazon charges bigger seller fees but some like the a-z protection.
    12L is 370.00 on ebay vs Amazon 480.00 shipped (will fit most wire harness)
    9L is 279.00 on ebay vs Amazon 350.00 shipped (will fit some wire harness)
    6L is 184.00 on ebay vs Amazon 294.00 shipped (maybe 6 flipper sets)
    3L is 136.00 on ebay vs Amazon 171.00 shipped (Fits about 2 or 3 complete flipper sets)
    2.5L is 79.00 at HF with 20%coupon vs 90.00 on Amazon & Ebay. (Fits about 2 or 3 complete flipper sets)
    The best thing to do is go to website for usable basket dimensions and make a cardboard box to match. This will allow you to place stuff in it for useable size.

Cool video on how to test your sonic cleaner:

#82 9 years ago

So now you pipe up and tell me I paid to much.

Do you know how many bottles of Chianti that is!

#83 9 years ago

Sorry, I just bought mine yesterday. After all the research I thought I should save others the effort. It's all good, they pay for themselves over time. You can't go wrong!

#84 9 years ago

I did end up buying a Kendal 27L unit. Pretty nice, full wire harness just fits in it.

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

full wire harness just fits

Ya, but I was told your wire harness is a lot smaller.

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I did end up buying a Kendal 27L unit. Pretty nice, full wire harness just fits in it.

CF, where did you end up purchasing from? How does that unit compare to others you have used in the past?

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

CF, where did you end up purchasing from? How does that unit compare to others you have used in the past?

Amazon Prime, it seems to be equal to the smaller $89 Ultra unit as far as cleaning quality, I did a little different cleaning formula since its so much, 3/4th gallonsimple green and ~4oz~Ultra Dawn dish soap then hot water from my kitchen sink. Wire harness looks freaking new.

#88 9 years ago

I can't really add anything new to this thread but I will relay my personal experience. The HF Ultrasonic works great for me with 50/50 Purple Power and water. After anywhere from 10-20 batches or whenever the solution starts to get dark and there is black crud settled in the bottom, then I dump it out, rinse clean and start a new batch of solution. It works wonders on star posts, hardware, flipper bats, metal and plastic ball guides, etc. I always turn the heat on for 5-10 minutes before running the first batch and always use the 480 sec. cycle, sometimes twice for very dirty parts. I have never put plastics with screened artwork on them. I just use glass cleaner and a shop towel for those.

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Amazon Prime, it seems to be equal to the smaller $89 Ultra unit as far as cleaning quality, I did a little different cleaning formula since its so much, 3/4th gallonsimple green and ~4oz~Ultra Dawn dish soap then hot water from my kitchen sink. Wire harness looks freaking new.

Awesome, thanks! That's the one I may pick up.

#90 9 years ago

Any one have before and after pictures of parts they cleaned. I have a large tumbler. Seems to take forever to get the parts clean. What other advantages does a ultrasonic cleaner have over the walnuts shells in a tumbler besides time and clean up?

#91 9 years ago

I love the 2.5 L Harbor Freight unit. Nothing cleans off nooks and crannies like this thing. I use heated water and Mean Green. It doesn't completely replace a tumbler though. I still use both, although in an average restore, I run a lot more parts through the ultra sonic than I do the tumbler.

#92 9 years ago
    Quoted from ibuypinballs:

Any one have before and after pictures of parts they cleaned. I have a large tumbler. Seems to take forever to get the parts clean. What other advantages does a ultrasonic cleaner have over the walnuts shells in a tumbler besides time and clean up?

You posted as I was posting! Tumblers and ultrasonic cleaners do different jobs. There may be some overlap, but not a lot. Visible playfield metal parts and gates that need to be polished go in the tumbler. Anything that just needs to be cleaned or is plastic without artwork on it goes in the ultrasonic. So parts like plastic star posts with all the ridges go in the ultrasonic. Some people like to polish everything, but I don't. To me the things like underplayfield screws, plungers, brackets, springs, etc don't need to be polished. I run them through the ultrasonic to get all the dirt and black powder off before reassembling (with new coil sleeves). I do hand wax plungers when they are clean and dry.

I bought cheap strainers in different sizes and use them in the ultrasonic to keep the parts divided. When the cycle is over, I just grab the strainer handle and rinse the parts under water and put them on a towel to dry. Keep some cheap gloves around when using it a lot or the Mean Green will have your hands dry as a desert.

81lDcCaLQAL._SL1500_.jpg81lDcCaLQAL._SL1500_.jpg
    #93 9 years ago

I use the ultrasonic *before* I tumble. Clean parts tumble in about half the time, and the media lasts longer.

Yeah, tumbler media isn't super expensive, but Flitz is, and I've got the ultrasonic, so I might as well use it

#94 9 years ago

5 minutes (Taxi)

IMG_6305.JPGIMG_6305.JPG
    #95 9 years ago

I have wondered if Coils and diodes were safe in an Ultrasonic.
    Guess they are.

#96 9 years ago

I bought the 12l unit Tuesday on EBay. It shipped Wednesday & arrived Thursday. Total class act professional seller. Double boxed with superb packing. Ships out of NY so I was in the UPS one day range.

The KENDAL LINE
    The KENDAL SONIC CLEANERS are sold on ebay user name: the_shining_image.
    Sold on Amazon under the seller name: New Shining Image.
    Ebay is a better deal. Amazon charges bigger seller fees but some like the a-z protection.

27L is 599.00 on ebay vs Amazon 721.00 shipped (will fit most wire harness)
    21L is 530.00 on ebay vs Amazon 583.00 shipped (will fit most wire harness)
    12L is 370.00 on ebay vs Amazon 480.00 shipped (will fit most wire harness)
    9L is 279.00 on ebay vs Amazon 350.00 shipped (will fit some wire harness)
    6L is 184.00 on ebay vs Amazon 294.00 shipped (maybe 6 flipper sets)
    3L is 136.00 on ebay vs Amazon 171.00 shipped (Fits about 2 or 3 complete flipper sets)
    2.5L is 79.00 at HF with 20%coupon vs 90.00 on Amazon & Ebay. (Fits about 2 or 3 complete flipper sets)

AMCLEAN.jpgAMCLEAN.jpg

#97 9 years ago

Works perfect for all the wax & grime in plastic posts

asc.jpgasc.jpg
    #98 9 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Half Mean Green and half water works well even in my cheapo $25 ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon.
    I'd love to see what some of the cleaners discussed in this thread can do.

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/2969298979447576995?lsf=seller:8740,store:7447989088862860456&hl=en&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100047759&ci_sku=100047759&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969&gclid=Cj0KEQjwm6CgBRC0zOmrydrqmosBEiQA_xoLRvGx8ebxXSI44_y7i1Ru2tTJA3zyx0rujF7DN_MaU5IaAoUr8P8HAQ

cleans but is a strong base and does discolor.

#99 9 years ago

Keith is it worth having one over the spray and brush method . Also do your playfield harnesses fit or do I need to go bigger ?

#100 9 years ago

I'm usually pretty good at researching things but I feel I should have looked into a larger unit.

There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultrasonic-cleaners/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.