Topic Stats

• 802 posts
  • 194 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by EntityClay
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8941 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8943 (resized).jpeg
    81sN2m9ffWL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    81WFkg1E-+L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    20240108_113121 (resized).jpg
    20240108_083305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3534 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9587 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    IMG_9586 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    20231228_095339 (resized).jpg
    20231228_093608 (resized).jpg
    20231228_090313 (resized).jpg
    20231228_090054 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3274 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8061 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3273 (resized).jpeg
    There are 802 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 17.
    #601 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

That's an interesting find Zap. I was able to dig up my e-mail to Mean Green regarding if it was corrosive. So a little bit of a mystery now. Is corrosiveness related entirely to pH? If so, is there a certain pH range where something is considered non-corrosive? Wonder why Simple Green is considered corrosive if it has a lower pH? Pilfering a post from a gun clean site also yielded another SnipIt. Maybe the difference is Simple Green "Pro HD" is different. Ugh, why can't this be simple?!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

It can be simple if you think of it this way:

It amounts to price and bang for the buck.

Purple power is available in 2.5 gallon jugs at Walmart .

It a pretty good price and fairly inexpensive.

Since you have to dump it all out periodically, how much money do you want to flush down the toilet.

Purple power is strong even at high dilutions of 25%

#602 4 years ago
    DF3B912B-F825-4AC9-A613-9FB7B5DA5A23.gifDF3B912B-F825-4AC9-A613-9FB7B5DA5A23.gif
    #603 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

It should be pointed out that the masters like Bryan Kelly and Chris Hibler do charge a fair amount for their services (worth every penny)... and time is money, so it’s no surprise that the concentration levels of their mix is so high. I personally go a little weaker and run a little longer. With a 12L cleaner, you can eat through a lot of mix quickly, especially when having to dump the very dirty mix between runs. As pinball_postal pointed out above, I’ve had good luck with plain water for years on many items but do prefer a mix of purple power (25-40% or so).

Good point. Duragloss is $20 a gallon whereas something like purple power is $20 for 5 gallons

#604 4 years ago

Mean Green $5.00 a gallon at Dollar General, my go to cleaner.

Has not hurt my ultrasonic which I have had for years.

1/3 mean green to 2/3 water mix.

Does the job for me.

#605 4 years ago

Yeah, we're probably all splitting hairs here if we rinse well.

Putting wires in the cleaner might be an exception tho...long term might be an issue.

#606 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I bought this one:
    Mophorn Ultrasonic Cleaner 22L Total 1000W Commercial Ultrasonic Cleaner Professional Stainless Steel Industrial Ultrasonic Cleaner Jewelry Cleaner wi amazon.com link »
    Works exceptionally well.
    Used on lock bar receivers, coin doors, complete harness assemblies, legs and bolts etc.
    I have bought a few of the smaller ones but, they didnt work as well as the bigger unit.
    My advise is to get one at least 20-22" long.
    Bigger is actually better on these things. It has 8 generators, really efficient.
    Something like this will serve you well enough.

I just bought this one. It came in the mail today. I will have to experiment with some stuff and report back. You won’t beat the price on this one for the size of it.

#607 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

I just bought this one. It came in the mail today. I will have to experiment with some stuff and report back. You won’t beat the price on this one for the size of it.

I mentioned this a few pages ago but will bring it up again. I own a 6L unit and it takes about a half hour to heat up to 35c. Also, how much power are you using or do you care? Let us know how long it takes to get a 22 L unit up to Temp. I'm sure the bigger units have more heating elements. 1000 Watts it's quite a bit of power.

#608 4 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

I mentioned this a few pages ago but will bring it up again. I own a 6L unit and it takes about a half hour to heat up to 35c. Also, how much power are you using or do you care? Let us know how long it takes to get a 22 L unit up to Temp. I'm sure the bigger units have more heating elements. 1000 Watts it's quite a bit of power.

It may sound foolish to say, but make sure you fill it with hot tap water. The water also heats faster if the unit is running.

#609 4 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

1000 watts is one of the reasons why I chose it. I saw other 22L units for the same or even cheaper prices but with half the wattage. I just have to find a good spot to set it up right now to test it. Most of my regular workspace is currently a giant paint booth.

#610 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

This unit serves me very well.

Small parts like handfuls of screws go into mason jars or small plastic sandwich bags filled with cleaner. Then poured thru a strainer.

The 8 inducers are really nice.
    It cleans from 4 directions.

I smear flitz on every thing that doesnt go in the tumbler and rub them down for a corrosion resistant coating after cleaning.

A lot of parts come out better than brand new ones.

#611 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

Yeah just ordered one also. Got about six machines in the project queue. Will be nice to knock out multiple assys at once, instead of the small Harbor freight unit I've been using.

3 months later
    #612 4 years ago

Ok, so after reading all of these posts, I am thinking of joining the "Club". Two questions:

1) Has anyone ever tried cleaning the lockbar receiver in an ultrasonic cleaner?
    2) Would a 22L cleaner be big enough to do a lockbar receiver in one sitting, or would you have to turn it around?

Thank you.

#613 4 years ago
    Quoted from rdrapeau3171:

Ok, so after reading all of these posts, I am thinking of joining the "Club". Two questions:
    1) Has anyone ever tried cleaning the lockbar receiver in an ultrasonic cleaner?
    2) Would a 22L cleaner be big enough to do a lockbar receiver in one sitting, or would you have to turn it around?
    Thank you.

yes it fits diagonally in mine.
    I think the 22L is the perfect size, its done everything I have thrown at it.

#614 4 years ago

yes it fits diagonally in mine.
    I think the 22L is the perfect size, its done everything I have thrown at it.

Did it do a good job on the lockbar receiver?

What model 22L do you have?

Thanks.

#615 4 years ago
    Quoted from rdrapeau3171:

Did it do a good job on the lockbar receiver?
    What model 22L do you have?
    Thanks.

it did a great job but, receivers, no matter how much you sand and polish them, never look right.

I just replace them now if I can get new ones.

4 months later
    #616 3 years ago

I am new to UC cleaning. I put the ballgate in straight gasoline in a glass and the other part in the basket in a mix of orange degreaser, water and a few ounces of ammonia. I ran at 80 degrees C for 30 minutes. Obviously I have no clue.....heres what the parts look like after "cleaning". What am I doing wrong? Should the ball gate come out shining like new?

Thanks in advance for any comments,

Wal Ter

ucv (resized).jpgucv (resized).jpg
    #617 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boltronix:

I am new to UC cleaning. I put the ballgate in straight gasoline in a glass and the other part in the basket in a mix of orange degreaser, water and a few ounces of ammonia. I ran at 80 degrees C for 30 minutes. Obviously I have no clue.....heres what the parts look like after "cleaning". What am I doing wrong? Should the ball gate come out shining like new?
    Wal Ter[quoted image]

Gasoline is an odd choice, but whatever.

Parts should come out clean, not necessarily new. If you lost plating due to corrosion or whatever, you'll still have splotches of unplated metal or pitting corrosion, they'll just be clean.

That gas though. That'll just get you an oily mess impregnated in your parts.

#618 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boltronix:

Wal Ter[quoted image]

If you are looking for shiny, you probably need to tumble them after. UC Cleaning will only lean them not polish them

#619 3 years ago
    Quoted from slicknick13:

Gasoline is an odd choice, but whatever.
    Parts should come out clean, not necessarily new. If you lost plating due to corrosion or whatever, you'll still have splotches of unplated metal or pitting corrosion, they'll just be clean.
    That gas though. That'll just get you an oily mess impregnated in your parts.

I have seen guys use gasoline in the ultrasonic for carburetor parts. I agree, probably not suitable for top of playfield parts.

#620 3 years ago

Instead of mason jars, I’ve been using old little Tupperware containers with holes drilled in the bottom to do separate batches in the same run

#621 3 years ago

Thanks guys, lots of lessons learned.

1 week later
    #622 3 years ago

Well, I was excited to join a new Pinside club today BUT. . .

Quoted from fosaisu:

Anyone have any experience with the Vevor brand (one of these popped up on local Craigslist):
    amazon.com link »

If it's a better brand than Harbor Freight I may give it a go (despite fact that it's 2L vs 2.5L). But if comparable I'll probably stick with the HF unit. Thanks!

I purchased one very similar (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FTFD3R/ref=emc_b_5_i), and my first remark was, no way this is 2L!

Used 2 parts water, 1 part Fabuloso (Target was out of Mean Green, Super Green, Purple Power etc), and 1 tbs of Dawn.

Ignoring the fact these are parking meter parts, not pinball, I tested it out, while it did seem to work fairly well (inc. sucking the paint off the placards), it'll be going back. I'd guess it's 1.5L, clearly marketed and labeled as 2L, or perhaps my Coke bottle is really 2.5L?

20200609_144359 (resized).jpg20200609_144359 (resized).jpg20200609_144508 (resized).jpg20200609_144508 (resized).jpg20200609_144617 (resized).jpg20200609_144617 (resized).jpg20200609_140338 (resized).jpg20200609_140338 (resized).jpg20200609_140335 (resized).jpg20200609_140335 (resized).jpg20200609_140345 (resized).jpg20200609_140345 (resized).jpg20200609_144613 (resized).jpg20200609_144613 (resized).jpg20200609_144610 (resized).jpg20200609_144610 (resized).jpg
    #623 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Well, I was excited to join a new Pinside club today BUT. . .

I purchased one very similar (amazon.com link »), and my first remark was, no way this is 2L!
    Used 2 parts water, 1 part Fabuloso (Target was out of Mean Green, Super Green, Purple Power etc), and 1 tbs of Dawn.
    Ignoring the fact these are parking meter parts, not pinball, I tested it out, while it did seem to work fairly well (inc. sucking the paint off the placards), it'll be going back. I'd guess it's 1.5L, clearly marketed and labeled as 2L, or perhaps my Coke bottle is really 2.5L? [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Exactly.

I bought 6 of them in various sizes. They all worked ok.

Finally got the 22L one.

That and purple power or krud cutter at 25% dilution and a squirt or 2 of dawn. 55 degrees C.

On ultrasonic cleaners, its truly a matter of "Go big or go home".

They just have more power at 1000 watts or more.

Plus i can stuff pretty much everything in it, including coin doors and lockbar receivers.

So, get a big one.

#624 3 years ago

Exactly.

So, get a big one.

That was my wife's thinking when she married me.

3 months later
    #625 3 years ago

Joining the club. Just purchased a 6L to do a meteor rebuild. Thinking I shoulda gone bigger but we’ll see.

1 week later
    #626 3 years ago

A couple of months ago I bought the Harbor Freight 2.5L model for a Pinbot shop job. I'm an instant fan. More importantly, so is my wife. While cleaning large items that don't fit into the tank I managed to kill the heater. So now I am essentially waiting for it to break so that I can get one that's more serious. But even the inky-dinky one is completely worth its money IMO as I know no other way to clean plastic posts (or coffee maker parts, or clockworks, or PCBs, etc.) anywhere nearly as nice as that and except for the heater (that I'll probably try to fix) my unit is going strong.

#627 3 years ago
    Quoted from idealjoker:

A couple of months ago I bought the Harbor Freight 2.5L model for a Pinbot shop job. I'm an instant fan. More importantly, so is my wife. While cleaning large items that don't fit into the tank I managed to kill the heater. So now I am essentially waiting for it to break so that I can get one that's more serious. But even the inky-dinky one is completely worth its money IMO as I know no other way to clean plastic posts (or coffee maker parts, or clockworks, or PCBs, etc.) anywhere nearly as nice as that and except for the heater (that I'll probably try to fix) my unit is going strong.

Interesting, I have an older unit that I have put large items in and run the heater until it shut off. If you had the tank full the heater should not have burnt out. But it is harbor Freight after all

4 weeks later
    #628 3 years ago

Is this plastic ok to clean with my HF 2 liter cleaner? Simple green based with a touch of dawn.

IJ4 Cairo Swordsman Gate
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/880-5103-00

#629 3 years ago
    Quoted from Superpops1:

Is this plastic ok to clean with my HF 2 liter cleaner? Simple green based with a touch of dawn.
    IJ4 Cairo Swordsman Gate
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/880-5103-00

I wouldn't put anything painted in my ultrasonic.

#630 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Agreed. I did a test with a Demolition Man plastic and the paint started washing right off. Stick with simple soap and water or Novus 1/2 on painted plastics.

#631 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Unless you want to remove all the paint! Lol

3 weeks later
    #632 3 years ago

Joined the club with the 2.5L harbor freight model (technically this one from amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/iSonic-P4820-WSB-Commercial-Ultrasonic-Stainless/dp/B00HLBKNLW/ )

Worth noting that the Harbor Freight one is on sale through 11/25 for 69.99 right now:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

Anyhow, saw this simple green pro M metal cleaner / polisher on Home Depot site today and it got me interested.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-Green-Pro-M-Professional-Grade-128-oz-Metal-Cleaner-and-Polish-Case-of-4-3510000418320/204322988

For now my plan is to use Simple Green Pro HD and some beakers to clean small stepper part, and then hand polish with flitz. But thought I’d mention this pro M in case anyone had used it.

#633 3 years ago

So did my first cleaning yesterday. I was fairly happy with the result, but noticed that some items came out with more black tarnish spots.

I took some flitz polish paste (silver tube) and polished them up. It was a slow and painful process that I was hoping to avoid by buying the ultrasonic.

Ultimately I tried the dremel with a felt polishing wheel to help speed it up but even that was slow. I think these really do have a bunch of EM dust and tarnish worn into them over the 60 year life of the machine.

Any recommendations ? Longer time in the cleaner (I did 6 mins and reran the stuff that was really dirty)? Stronger concentration (20% simple green )? Different cleaner ? Or buck up and buy a tumbler too?

169B469E-58B0-4747-A53A-D363223231DF (resized).jpeg169B469E-58B0-4747-A53A-D363223231DF (resized).jpeg
    #634 3 years ago
    Quoted from alkregha:

So did my first cleaning yesterday. I was fairly happy with the result, but noticed that some items came out with more black tarnish spots.
    I took some flitz polish paste (silver tube) and polished them up. It was a slow and painful process that I was hoping to avoid by buying the ultrasonic.
    Ultimately I tried the dremel with a felt polishing wheel to help speed it up but even that was slow. I think these really do have a bunch of EM dust and tarnish worn into them over the 60 year life of the machine.
    Any recommendations ? Longer time in the cleaner (I did 6 mins and reran the stuff that was really dirty)? Stronger concentration (20% simple green )? Different cleaner ? Or buck up and buy a tumbler too?
    [quoted image]

4 days in a tumbler.

Ultrasonic is a cleaner, not a polisher.

Tumbling gets you the polished look without doing it yourself.

But it takes a few days.

#635 3 years ago

I have the harbor freight small cleaner and use diluted duragloss - I get that black tarnish on metal parts all the time, in spots where the metal was even pretty clean before going in. Happens all the time on Gottlieb parts. It didn't happen when I first started, so I don't know if it's the particular degreaser, dilution %, or if something changed with the cleaner itself. It is to the point that I don't want to put everything in there any more, so that's frustrating.

#636 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

I have the harbor freight small cleaner and use diluted duragloss - I get that black tarnish on metal parts all the time, in spots where the metal was even pretty clean before going in. Happens all the time on Gottlieb parts. It didn't happen when I first started, so I don't know if it's the particular degreaser, dilution %, or if something changed with the cleaner itself. It is to the point that I don't want to put everything in there any more, so that's frustrating.

Use the purple power at 25-30% and a couple squirts of Dawn.

I doesnt oxidize like some of the other degreasers.

However totally ruined plating cant be fixed in a sonic cleaner, but polishing can make them presentable.

#637 3 years ago

Picked up some purple power at Autozone yesterday (tried dollar general but covid has that store in shambles). Gonna give it a try this weekend and compare results to simple green. Either way I think I’ll be joining the tumbler club soon as well.

2 weeks later
    #638 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Right.
    If you start with cold tap water, you will add an hour to the warm up time.

don't you want to use distilled water? or is that mainly for PCB's?

#639 3 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

don't you want to use distilled water? or is that mainly for PCB's?

Every local water chemistry is different

My water now is PH 7.8 and 300 tsd, so I just use it

The only thing I use distilled for is espresso

But when I lived in Florida, the water was acidic - like the rest of the state

#640 3 years ago

I need just one more reason to buy an ultrasonic. So, can I clean the Swinging Target Motor from my Black Pyramid (without killing it)?

I'm concerned specifically about the motor/windings/etc, and also there appears to be some sort of fibrous packing around the ends of the main motor shaft that I assume serves a purpose and I'd hate to ruin it. The gears are all pretty oily and I figured I could flush that all out and replace with a light touch of some sort of grease, if even that is necessary.

IMG_3273 (resized).JPGIMG_3273 (resized).JPGIMG_3276 (resized).JPGIMG_3276 (resized).JPG
    #641 3 years ago

I would not put that in the ultrasonic.

When different metals are touching, bad things can happen when submerged .

Motors, relays, closed switches - skip the ultrasonic

#642 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:I would not put that in the ultrasonic.
    When different metals are touching, bad things can happen when submerged .
    Motors, relays, closed switches - skip the ultrasonic

Thanks vid. The gears aren't really too dirty anyway, I guess I can get by with cleaning the exterior the old fashioned way.

But I'm still buying an ultrasonic.

2 weeks later
    #643 3 years ago

I switched from simple green to purple power. Using a 25% solution I find purple power to give much better results , particularly as it relates to leftover tarnishing after the cleaning. I’ve been putting all pieces of a stepper inside including the mounting plate, with the exception of the switches and coils.

Combined with a few (4-8) hours in evaporust for anything that has rusted and a few (8-10) hours in the tumbler for most of the smaller parts, the results have been excellent.

I bought the smaller harbor freight vibratory tumbler and I load it with course walnut media and a spoonful of mother’s mag.

For the mounting plate and larger parts that I worry about tumbling , I’ve been using flitz on a buffer pad that chucks into my drill. Results aren’t as nice as the tumbler but sufficient for my tastes.

BeforeBefore

AfterAfter

#644 3 years ago

I had an old set of new plastics that there was no way the protective film was coming off, 5 min in the ultra and peeled off perfectly!! love this cleaner!!

#645 3 years ago
    Quoted from misfitdart:

I had an old set of new plastics that there was no way the protective film was coming off, 5 min in the ultra and peeled off perfectly!! love this cleaner!!

Haha well there's a new use for the ultrasonic cleaner - I would have been too worried it'd start taking some of the artwork off

#646 3 years ago

I put my mystery mirror from Funhouse in the ultrasonic when I first got it. It came out with an amazing mirror finish! You couldn't even see the text... because it was gone. I'd be careful with printed plastics in the ultrasonic. you may have gotten lucky.

1 month later
    #647 3 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GFQ6XKR

Just picked up this 10L unit from Amazon. Compared to my Harbor Freight 2.5L, it is quite an upgrade, and for $55... it's cheaper, too.

Loud though.

Let's see how it cleans. I have a feeling it's the same Chinesium that is in all the cheap ones. Which isn't a bad thing.

I see people putting coin doors in their cleaners and I am pretty jealous.

#648 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I put my mystery mirror from Funhouse in the ultrasonic when I first got it. It came out with an amazing mirror finish! You couldn't even see the text... because it was gone. I'd be careful with printed plastics in the ultrasonic. you may have gotten lucky.

Learned the hard way that plastics don't go in the ultrasonic cleaner. Cooked the red off a set of Gorgar plastics once. Texted a buddy and he said "are you out of your mind???"

#649 3 years ago
    Quoted from truemagoo102:

Learned the hard way that plastics don't go in the ultrasonic cleaner. Cooked the red off a set of Gorgar plastics once. Texted a buddy and he said "are you out of your mind???"

I trialed it with a set of crap plastics from a trashed playfield.

I’ve had success cleaning plastics in COLD solution in the ultrasonic. I’ve taken art off plastics in heated solution. In either case if plastics are touching each other/something it will wear/scratch the plastic.

#650 3 years ago

I'm starting an Evel Knievel restore right now, I bought the HF ultrasonic a year or so ago and used it on a previous game, I was underwhelmed.

There are 802 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultrasonic-cleaners/page/13?hl=aflacjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.