Topic Stats

• 802 posts
  • 194 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by EntityClay
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8941 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8943 (resized).jpeg
    81sN2m9ffWL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    81WFkg1E-+L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    20240108_113121 (resized).jpg
    20240108_083305 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3534 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9587 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    IMG_9586 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
    20231228_095339 (resized).jpg
    20231228_093608 (resized).jpg
    20231228_090313 (resized).jpg
    20231228_090054 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3274 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8061 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3273 (resized).jpeg

There are 802 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
    #451 8 years ago

I was just wondering since they were on your towel

1 month later
    #453 7 years ago

I've been using it for a while now. It works great but I stopped using it on boards. It seems to bleach out the green color a bit.

#454 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I've been using it for a while now. It works great but I stopped using it on boards. It seems to bleach out the green color a bit.

I found the same thing happened with other cleaners. I just clean light boards and the like by hand.

#455 7 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I take it that it works OK? Any better than like simple green or the like?

#456 7 years ago

It works great on a bunch of different thanks. Relatively cheap and easy to use. The only time I don't use it now is on any of my boards

1 week later
    #457 7 years ago

Anyone here have experience with the Chinese made units on eBay? They appear to be a knock off of the Kendal brand and are much less expensive?

#458 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Anyone here have experience with the Chinese made units on eBay? They appear to be a knock off of the Kendal brand and are much less expensive?

I just got one - a 15L one for $250 - and it *seems* to work okay. I was expecting more cleaning I guess - it doesn't work on really dirty things. I'm using the "Ultra Dust" from Comet.

One thing is that you better have a properly grounded outlet because mine gave me quite a shock until I fixed that issue!

Also, the thing makes a horrible high-pitched noise, which I wasn't expecting. Is that common to all units or just the cheap Chinese ones?

Before cleaningBefore cleaning
    SubmergedSubmerged
    What is that horrible racket?What is that horrible racket?
    Sort of cleanSort of clean

#459 7 years ago

Also, can you reuse the "Ultra Dust" solution at all? Like, how many cleaning cycles can you do with it before it's worn out? That stuff is crazy expensive for me due to exchange and shipping.

#460 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Also, can you reuse the "Ultra Dust" solution at all? Like, how many cleaning cycles can you do with it before it's worn out? That stuff is crazy expensive for me due to exchange and shipping.

Just like any cleaner, in theory you can use it forever - but the dirtier the water, the less effective the cleaning is.

#461 7 years ago

Ebay Chinese 6L arrived today.
    &
    $126.99

It's loud, but that's not a problem. I didn't have any solution at home so I used warm water and some dawn liquid (a few squirts)

I used some original centipede trackball, fire button parts, and a small wire bundle for the test.

After a cycle of about 40 minutes warming up to only about 40c it had done minimal work to the plastics. The wire connectors look great.

Tomorrow I will get some purple power and give it another go at a higher temp.

Here are a few images.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#462 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Ebay Chinese 6L arrived today.
    &
    $126.99
    It's loud, but that's not a problem. I didn't have any solution at home so I used warm water and some dawn liquid (a few squirts)
    I used some original centipede trackball, fire button parts, and a small wire bundle for the test.
    After a cycle of about 40 minutes warming up to only about 40c it had done minimal work to the plastics. The wire connectors look great.
    Tomorrow I will get some purple power and give it another go at a higher temp.
    Here are a few images.

That's a hell of a good buy if it holds up.

#463 7 years ago

The instructions in mine say not to run it longer than 15-20 minutes, tops.

#464 7 years ago

Does anyone have a completely natural solution that cleans well? I'm hesitant to go dumping industrial solvents down the drain every time I clean something.

#465 7 years ago

Ill plug away again for UltraDust again, as more posts on cleaners have come up.

http://www.cometpinball.com/ULTRADUST-p/ultradust.htm

Most all cleaning solutions or powders, Green, Purple, Scientific, and UltraDust, do a great job of cleaning,
    but only Ultradust, has 2 additional ingredients, and a couple NOT added as the manufacturer tells me, that makes it safer, and designed for electronics.
    I dont honestly know what they are, but I have worked with the company many years, seen the factory, know the rep for around 20 years, and value that they ship this to board manufacturers, and component manufacturers.
    A great deal today is shipped to Mexico, where much fabrication takes place.

A quality Ultrasonic, with heating, makes an easy job. Less cleaner is better.
    Ive done most of a games whole plastics, and small parts in two mixes of about 1/2 ounce total usage.....about $1.00 worth.
    I have it stored with all my other cleaners, and enjoy that its a powder, always ready, no liquid spills, and is less in cost then a liquid, in many cases....(Sorry about the postage to guys in Canada).

Id recommend a small 2 OZ package if you have another order, as it can be added to free shipping packages as well.

Art

#466 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I just got one - a 15L one for $250 - and it *seems* to work okay. I was expecting more cleaning I guess - it doesn't work on really dirty things. I'm using the "Ultra Dust" from Comet.
    One thing is that you better have a properly grounded outlet because mine gave me quite a shock until I fixed that issue!
    Also, the thing makes a horrible high-pitched noise, which I wasn't expecting. Is that common to all units or just the cheap Chinese ones?

One pic shows metal protruding above the water line. Next time use more water as you are risking metal tarnish....learn from my mistake

Other tips and findings of mine over 2 years:
    Fill the tub up with the hottest water possible
    No need to add more cleaner than the recommended amount
    I gauge cleaning by what's left in the tub after 5 minutes
    Ultrasonic will not polish your parts
    Carbon deposits usually come off with a rag/toothbrush after 5 mins in the tub

#467 7 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Right.

If you start with cold tap water, you will add an hour to the warm up time.

#468 7 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

One pic shows metal protruding above the water line. Next time use more water as you are risking metal tarnish....learn from my mistake

I added a bit more water after that photo.

Mine was 52C - hotter than the recommended values. I didn't even bother with the heater.

#469 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ive done most of a games whole plastics, and small parts in two mixes of about 1/2 ounce total usage.....about $1.00 worth.

The bag I got says 1oz per 5L, and since I have a 15L unit, I put in 3oz. That was a sizeable portion of the very expensive bag I bought - are you saying I could go with less?

#470 7 years ago

I plan to order some ultra dust this week, but grabbed some simple green at the grocery store on the way home for a thick try tonight.

#471 7 years ago

Oh absolutely, the strength needed of solution depends on heat, ultrasonic, and the nature of cleaning.
    It's not ever the same. Light boards take very little, as the carbon dust would wipe off. Polished metal with red rouge, needs at least twice the cleaner than green rouge. Caked on flippers...tougher.
    I always start light, and see the results.
    Games that have salt water corrosion, is different then just dirt or grease, and may not help as much.
    With the variety of both equipment in ultrasonics, water temp, and state of material, age, etc, it's variable, but not too hard.
    While it's always easier to add, if you've used the solution, you can strain through a coffee filter, and dilute.
    After a few tries, you'll grab the
    Version of a pinch here or there like
    a chef cooling, as opposed to an absolute measurement.
    Sorry if this wasn't apparent, it can be
    a hard thing to describe, and not know
    how to answer, short of lots of pics and some guessing.
    The water should never get thick or too dark. Filtering, especially to remove anything suspended that could become abbrasive. I also use separate bath jars,
    Some with a strainer for small metal nuts, bults etc. Hanging racks help.
    Hope this helps...it's just my opinion, and
    I'm sure there are other experiences.
    I've used this for Pinball for only a couple games, but have used ultrasonic, electrocleaning, and plating for 40 years, but I'm sure in Pinball those who have done more games, and have shared in this thread, would have specific part, game, or grime answers.

#472 7 years ago

Just picked this one up to try ultrasonic cleaning. If I like it (and really think I need it) I'll look to a mongo unit.

Also grabbed UltraDust from Comet Pinball.

Ultrasonic_Cleaner_(resized).jpgUltrasonic_Cleaner_(resized).jpg

#473 7 years ago

With the larger Ebay units, has anyone actually had a best offer accepted? Ihave made several very reasonable offers, as low as less than 5% off, and nothing is accepted. I can do the buy it now, but what's the point of the best offer if they never accept it?

#474 7 years ago

My ebay China made 6L seems to have faulty cord (the male end that goes in the wall). I'm going to grab a replacement. It may be a cheap fix but still a minor annoyance for a new product. Updates to follow.

3 weeks later
    #475 7 years ago

My power cord on the $126 Chinese unit was faulty. I found a replacement 6' cord on eBay for $2 shipped! Seriously, $2. The unit works perfectly now.

Also my trading arrived, but I haven't yet tried it. Updates to follow.

#476 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

My power cord on the $126 Chinese unit was faulty. I found a replacement 6' cord on eBay for $2 shipped! Seriously, $2. The unit works perfectly now.
    Also my trading arrived, but I haven't yet tried it. Updates to follow.

How is it cleaning now?

#477 7 years ago

Will ultra sonic remove ink from old EM targets?

#478 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Will ultra sonic remove ink from old EM targets?

It depends on what solution you use. Stronger solutions will remove just about anything.

1 week later
    #479 7 years ago

After cleaning what do you like to use to prevent rust?

#480 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kane:

After cleaning what do you like to use to prevent rust?

Thin coat of rattle can poly works pretty good.

#481 7 years ago

I also bought the Harbor Freight 2.5 liter model. Very happy with it. Great for small components. Be careful with cleaning solutions as they will remove paint from plastics. Always let it warm the water for about 20 minutes before using.

#482 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I also bought the Harbor Freight 2.5 liter model. Very happy with it. Great for small components. Be careful with cleaning solutions as they will remove paint from plastics. Always let it warm the water for about 20 minutes before using.

I would never put plastics with artwork in an ultrasonic.

#483 7 years ago

I used my 6L Chinese unit with some ultradust yesterday. I set it on 50c and ran some plastics for 5 minutes. It worked very well. I had some larger pieces and literally stuck them in half way and then turned them over. That worked fine as well. No miracles, but it sure is not to put something in the machine and do something else while it gets clean.

2 weeks later
    #484 7 years ago

My ultrasonic cleaner (5L) yesterday was about 5mins into a cycle when I heard a pop (almost like the sound of a fuse blowing) & although the timer & heat functions are ok there is no ultrasonic activity. I removed the innards but my lack of electronics knowledge prevents any meaningful diagnosis. My local tech said its not worth the time to explore-the machine cost around $200 with shipping 2 years ago & has had limited work. Any thoughts or should I just replace?

SOpfult_(resized).jpgSOpfult_(resized).jpg

#485 7 years ago

If your pic is after the "pop" you still have lights and power. It may have been a mechanical noise. I'd look at the bottom of the inner tub where the ultrasonic "generator"(?) is mounted. Maybe it came off. Or you may see signs of water giving you a clue. If your going to toss it anyways what could it hurt? The one thing this thread doesn't have is Ultrasonic innerds pics.

#486 7 years ago

Usually a "pop" is a cap or a solid state item like a diode/transistor.

Let's see some pics of the board

#487 7 years ago

Thks PanaPinResto & vid for your help. I have taken some pics & these are below. It appears there has been a small leak from the bottom drain which has stained the inside of the bottom cover & left tell tale signs on the side of - is that a 'heatsink' seemingly effected by a drip on the last pic?

canon08072016_003_(resized).JPGcanon08072016_003_(resized).JPG

canon08072016_005_(resized).JPGcanon08072016_005_(resized).JPG

canon08072016_004_(resized).JPGcanon08072016_004_(resized).JPG

canon08072016_007_(resized).JPGcanon08072016_007_(resized).JPG

canon0807201601_001_(resized).JPGcanon0807201601_001_(resized).JPG

canon08072016_002_(resized).JPGcanon08072016_002_(resized).JPG

#488 7 years ago

Is that fuse blown? If so, you may have a short, or the cold solder joint on the right side may have increased resistance enough to pop the fuse.

#489 7 years ago
    Quoted from johninc:

Is that fuse blown? If so, you may have a short, or the cold solder joint on the right side may have increased resistance enough to pop the fuse.

Thks for your post but would you clarify pls what/where is the 'fuse & cold solder joint' you refer to.

#490 7 years ago

Bottom pic, top right hand component on the board is a soldered on fuse. It looks a little dark. Maybe you get lucky and that's it. Make sure it's very dry before powering back up.m

#491 7 years ago

That's definitely and inline fuse. Nice catch PanaPin!

#492 7 years ago

Contrary to Craigslist ads, most fuses blow for a reason.

Before replacing that fuse, I'd check with a meter:

RV1 (the blue Varistor) - these things "self sacrifice" to protect the circuit
    Q1, Q2 - anything with a heatsink is always suspect.
    ALL THE DIODES - common failure point

Is there a schematic in the manual?

#493 7 years ago

Thks again for all your help & advice. I am staggered PanaPinResto you were able to identify the blown fuse from the pic . It certainly was blown & when I purchased a replacement at our local Jaycar outlet the tech indicated he had come across a number of ultrasonic cleaners where a pin hole had developed in tanks which had created a short from the moisture. A dry test with the replacement fuse blew it as well. I discovered that there is indeed a pinhole in the tank immediately above one of the two fixed ultrasonic communicators. I guess that seals the fate of this little used, not all that old, piece of equipment.

#494 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I discovered that there is indeed a pinhole in the tank immediately above one of the two fixed ultrasonic communicators. I guess that seals the fate of this little used, not all that old, piece of equipment.

You can buy a replacement transducer for $13 shipped

ebay.com link: High Conversion Efficiency 60W 40KHz Ultrasonic Piezoelectric Transducer Cleaner

trans_(resized).jpgtrans_(resized).jpg

#495 7 years ago

Thks vid much appreciated. Is fixing the pinhole though not problematic given the vibration through the tank?

#496 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Is fixing the pinhole though not problematic given the vibration through the tank?

It's stainless steel, so although the weld won't be pretty, it is easy to repair.

#497 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's stainless steel, so although the weld won't be pretty, it is easy to repair.

ok thks as always for your informed advice vid.

4 months later
    #498 7 years ago

Has anyone had any trouble with the drain hole at the bottom of the ultrasonic leaking down on the electronics inside and popping your ground fault outlets? I am going to try and seal it again tomorrow, as I am having those issues for the second time. I have to find a better sealing ring of some type.

#499 7 years ago
    Quoted from dozer1:

Has anyone had any trouble with the drain hole at the bottom of the ultrasonic leaking down on the electronics inside and popping your ground fault outlets? I am going to try and seal it again tomorrow, as I am having those issues for the second time. I have to find a better sealing ring of some type.

Which unit?

#500 7 years ago

ebay.com link: 711 53200 19255 0

This was from post 151 at the start of page 4. I have the thing apart right now and am going to town to look for a good rubber gasket. I would bet about all of these Chinese cleaners are about the same. I have been pretty happy with it over all, but the design of that drain leaves a lot to be desired.

There are 802 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultrasonic-cleaners/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.