(Topic ID: 71261)

Ultrasonic cleaner - what do you use yours for?

By RoyF

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by skywalker
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

What pinball parts do you clean with your ultrasonic cleaner, specifically what parts that can't be cleaned with a vibrating cleaner and walnut media or are for some reason better cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner?

Plastic star posts come to mind, but those I can clean with Simple Green, Bleache White or ammonia and a tooth brush pretty easily. Are there also other things better cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner?

#2 10 years ago

When I painted scale model brass engines I used one to strip paint and deep clean for painting.

Depending on what you use in it, it can etch brass. So I'd be super careful with plastic. Or try on things easily replaced.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

to clean things ultrasonically !

i could not help myself
    sorry

#4 10 years ago

I use mine for cleaning the plastic posts, works great at getting out old wax in the posts from some lazy ass just slathering wax or novus around the playfield with taking stuff off it

#5 10 years ago

So other than cleaning plastic posts, nobody has suggestions for what pinball parts can be better cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner as compared to a vibrating polisher and walnut media?

#6 10 years ago

Mmmmm...walnut media....

We have one at work we use for anything that can't be easily reached by mechanical means (contact with media). Never tried it on pinball parts but I would think it's get into those tight spaces you find on some weldments or plastic parts.

#7 10 years ago

Moved to restoration questions sub forum.

#8 10 years ago

If you break down a drop target bank into component pieces and want to clean and shine and reassemble, would it be better to clean in walnut media in vibrating polisher, or use an ultrasonic cleaner? I would not put the coil, sleeve, switches in of course....

Would the metal parts of the drop target bank be clean and shiny with the ultrasonic cleaner, or only clean? Do you do anything special to rinse and remove water from metal parts when done cleaning in the ultrasonic cleaner?

Could the drop targets be cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner if no stickers on them, or would that tend to remove the hot stamped ink?

When cleaning plastic parts in the ultrasonic cleaner, do you need to be concerned about multiple plastic parts rubbing against each other and leaving marks (say on translucent pop bumper caps for example)?

2 weeks later
    #9 10 years ago

I use mine for just about everything small enough to fit in it, as long as it is not painted or have a decal on it. I learned the hard way not to put a decorated spinner in it, for instance. I certainly wouldn't put a slingshot plastic in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I don't have a tumbler, and my understanding is they are noisy and take a long time. The ultrasonic cleaner meets my limited needs (new to the hobby, just a few pins). I put a diluted simple green solution in the cleaner. Does a fabulous job on playfield parts like plastic posts, flippers, screws and gates.

#10 10 years ago

When you finish cleaning some items in the ultrasonic cleaner, what do you do with the solution in the cleaner? Leave it in there? Pour it into a bottle and store it for reuse next time? Discard it and start with new solution next time?

#11 10 years ago

I leave it - but it only lasts for a few cleanings before it is black, then I dump and refill- a testament to how much it cleans.

#12 10 years ago

I agree with BTW. I just leave it and reuse it until it looks nasty, then dump it. I do take the time to rinse everything off and get any soapy residue off the parts that just came out of the cleaner.

I bought the bigger Harbor Freight unit, and with a discount coupon it was pretty cheap. Always sceptical about Harbor Freight, but I have used this a lot and it has held up well. Hope I didn't just jinx it! The heating element seems to really make a difference.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from RoyF:

When you finish cleaning some items in the ultrasonic cleaner, what do you do with the solution in the cleaner? Leave it in there? Pour it into a bottle and store it for reuse next time? Discard it and start with new solution next time?

Agree with everyone else. Once it's too black to see the bottom I dump it.

#14 10 years ago

My ultrasonic is great for cleaning bakelite stepper switches from my EM's. They look as good as new after about 10 minutes in the ultrasonic with mean green.

#15 10 years ago

guessing there is no rules on what solutions to use in the US,
    i use a mix of some simply green, dash of ammonia, add some degreaser, fill with warm/hot water, my US has a heater but takes awhile to heat up, buzz it between 25-45 mins depending how dirty bits are,

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultrasonic-cleaner-what-do-you-use-yours-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.