5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Might be a stupid question (but less stupid than not asking): Can I put a complete motor (e.g. like the one that drives the Indiana Jones head, or ACDC canon) in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Also, after cleaning metal parts in an ultrasonic cleaner using a Simple Green/water mix, do you guys just rinse off in plain cold water?

#2 5 years ago

Yes and no - depends on what you call complete.
    The motor itself can handle it (a friend of mine repairs industrial electric motors, even for ships, and has a huuuuge ultrasonic cleaner for this)..
    but you have to disassemble it a bit so all water will get out completely.

And if you mean complete with gearbox attached to it - yes but only if you replace the grease on the gears..

Afterwards indeed rinse off with clean water.

1 week later
    #3 5 years ago

I put motors in my ultrasonic cleaner. No need to put grease on any brass gears as they are self lubricating, only gum up again. Then rinse and blow water off with air. Finally You need some drops of oil (blue can 3 -n 1) however in the two lube ports near the motor end of the housing.

#4 5 years ago

I've routinely pulled apart gearboxes, and put it in the ultrasonic clearner. Works magic.

But an electric motor, I have not needed to do. Most just need surface cleaning, and the inners are fine. There not enough parts in there to make it worth doing. I usually blow them out with compressed air.

I'm sure it would work, but you would need to use plenty of compressed air to get all the water out of it....

1 week later
    #5 5 years ago

What about putting the whole power supply unit in the cleaner?

#6 5 years ago

I'm assuming your speaking about the transformer. That's not a good idea.

I clean the wires going into it (via alcohol or another substance). Then i sand down the metal that surrounds the unit. Later i tape off the wires and sides, leaving only the exposed metal; and spray paint it black. Comes out great.

There's no point cleaning the inside of the transformer. It's tightly wound wire with zero moving parts.
    If you take it for a dip, good luck getting all the water out of it. And then comes a nice bad short.

The transformers almost never fail. Just get it clean cosmetically and call it a day.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

I'm assuming your speaking about the transformer. That's not a good idea.
    I clean the wires going into it (via alcohol or another substance). Then i sand down the metal that surrounds the unit. Later i tape off the wires and sides, leaving only the exposed metal; and spray paint it black. Comes out great.
    There's no point cleaning the inside of the transformer. It's tightly wound wire with zero moving parts.
    If you take it for a dip, good luck getting all the water out of it. And then comes a nice bad short.
    The Transformers almost never fail. Just get it clean cosmetically and call it a day.

Thanks for the confirmation.....I guessed it wasnt worth it. I was thinking of doing exactly as you described, but this whole ultrasonic thing is addictive....I want to clean everything in it.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Thanks for the confirmation.....I guessed it wasnt worth it. I was thinking of doing exactly as you described, but this whole ultrasonic thing is addictive....I want to clean everything in it.

What solution do you use. My ultrasonic machine seems to do ok but i am not blown away..

#9 5 years ago

I've had good results with 2/3 tank Greased Lightning, ~1/3 distilled water, a little sudsy ammonia and a teaspoon of Ultimate Dust.

I had horrible, disastrous results with a Mean Green mixture.

#10 5 years ago

Okay - so I recently rebuilt the hand gadget in my JM. I did ultrasonically clean the motors in this unit and geeze were they ever dirty - and when I saw all of the BLACK CRUD that came out of them - I was glad that I did. I use 50:50 solution of Simple Green and Distilled Water (get it at Home Depot for $9/gallon.) It works great and when done with cleaning just rinsed 'em with tap water and blew 'em out good with the air compressor. It works well - and doesn't hurt a thing.

Years ago when I repaired televisions - we used to take television chassis to the car wash and would blast them off with the high pressure wand to clean them up before working on them.

I even ultrasonically clean my opto boards. Works great - no worries. Don't be afraid to do it - just make sure everything is good and dry before you power it up. The compressed air does a good job - but I usually wait till the next day to re-install.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

What solution do you use. My ultrasonic machine seems to do ok but i am not blown away..

Like Pinterest I used a 50/50 Simple green/pre boiled water (recommended by the manufacturer as it takes all the existing bubbles out of the water). Pre-heat my ultrasonic to 60deg (celcius) then 5-7 minutes. Rinse with water.

When the mixture is really clean, it works best. The dirtier it gets, the effectiveness drops off quickly. For small batches I sometimes use the above mixture in a zip lock bag with the parts and put that in the cleaner. That works great because the mixture is cleanest.

Super dirty parts will still need polishing (I use a tumbler). But the US cleaner gets all the surface stuff off.

A lot of guys use a degreaser mixed with water.

You have to be careful of corrosion on some metals using chemicals - the highly alkaline mixtures will corrode some metals - but its a bit of trial and error. I still dont think Ive found the perfect mix.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I've had good results with 2/3 tank Greased Lightning, ~1/3 distilled water, a little sudsy ammonia and a teaspoon of Ultimate Dust.

Is Greased Lightning a de-greaser?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Is Greased Lightning a de-greaser?

http://www.greased-lightning.com/

Yes.

#14 5 years ago

I like to use Simple Green because it is safe for everything in a pinball machine - Metal and Plastic. Many of the other degreasers are not safe for aluminum or stainless.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

what happened?

I use straight Simple Green and it works great.

#16 5 years ago

I use about 1/2 Mean Green and it works fine for just about everything. Looking forward to getting some secret dust from Comet though.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

what happened?
    I use straight Simple Green and it works great.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mean-green-in-ultrasonicreally

I didn't try Simple Green. After the Mean Green disaster I stayed away from anything with "green" in the name.

#18 5 years ago

Do try some ultradust guys. Its from s manufacturer that makes simple green products.
    It runs around $.50-$.80 a gallon, because its a powdered concentrate.
    In addition, it has addition agents, not only for degreasing, but for circuit board and electronic
    parts.

All one needs is water, and the ratio that suits the project best.

Nothing I am getting rich on...just a superior product, thats easy to store, and no reason to pay for transport and shelf space for water.

Art

http://www.cometpinball.com/ULTRADUST-p/ultradust.htm

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Like Pinterest I used a 50/50 Simple green/pre boiled water (recommended by the manufacturer as it takes all the existing bubbles out of the water). Pre-heat my ultrasonic to 60deg (celcius) then 5-7 minutes. Rinse with water.
    When the mixture is really clean, it works best. The dirtier it gets, the effectiveness drops off quickly. For small batches I sometimes use the above mixture in a zip lock bag with the parts and put that in the cleaner. That works great because the mixture is cleanest.
    Super dirty parts will still need polishing (I use a tumbler). But the US cleaner gets all the surface stuff off.
    A lot of guys use a degreaser mixed with water.
    You have to be careful of corrosion on some metals using chemicals - the highly alkaline mixtures will corrode some metals - but its a bit of trial and error. I still dont think Ive found the perfect mix.

Thanks. I will try this out.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mean-green-in-ultrasonicreally
    I didn't try Simple Green. After the Mean Green disaster I stayed away from anything with "green" in the name.

Simple green has worked well for me so far. Mean green is too aggressive--I abandoned it very early when I saw that it ate paint fairly easily.

I haven't tried Art's ultradust yet, but the next time I order some bulbs, I will probably give it a whirl.

#21 5 years ago

Gee Cody all you need is a 1/4 cup of bleach and your mix will be perfect.

#22 5 years ago

Here's an idea: EVAPO RUST in the ultrasonic!

CNKay: I get it.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Here's an idea: EVAPO RUST in the ultrasonic!
    CNKay: I get it.

i've tried it on some small parts that would fit in the hf one i have...

with the heater going, it works pretty fast that way...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 109.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Starcade Amusement
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus
    $ 25.00
    Magazines/books
    Just Pinball [SOLD OUT]
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 3.00
    $ 218.00
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Electronics
    Lermods
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 99.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 33.50
    $ 24.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside