(Topic ID: 301220)

Ultraman Kaiju Rumble Club - Kaiju are near!

By Morinack

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,002 posts
  • 277 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by pballinhd
  • Topic is favorited by 112 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MGmotor (resized).JPG
motor (resized).jpg
20240407_143511 (resized).jpg
20240407_143613 (resized).jpg
20240407_143449 (resized).jpg
20240407_143536 (resized).jpg
20240407_143555 (resized).jpg
IMG_8072 (resized).jpeg
ultramancover (resized).jpg
utramanpinplastic (resized).png
20240127_131303 (resized).jpg
20240127_131312 (resized).jpg
UM Topper (resized).png
IMG_4831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7139 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7136 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #218 Detailed update from Luke on 11/29/21 Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #278 New code is live. More code promised. Posted by SpookyBug (2 years ago)

Post #339 SpookyLuke discusses some pros and cons of Pinatar system. Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #1026 Charlie comments Posted by SpookyCharlie (2 years ago)

Post #1112 Rule development planning. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #1548 Links to fixes in Halloween that had not been shared in Ultraman thread Posted by paulbaptiste (2 years ago)

Post #1589 What the future holds for this title. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #1686 Rule summary from rarehero Posted by Rarehero (2 years ago)

Post #1744 Way to thread stripped playfield holes. Posted by Tranquilize (2 years ago)

Post #1865 IPS screen install, 30 minutes. Posted by MT45 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russmyers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

273 posts in this topic match your search for posts by russmyers. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2145 1 year ago

Trying to fix an issue; can someone please throw their UM into Switch Test and drop this target and tell me what switch number it comes up as?

drop target (resized).jpgdrop target (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2188 1 year ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

I love Spooky and want to love UM, but it needs work.
I am hoping it will turn out like Houdini and become a keeper.
There must be better notice/warning that the ball is coming down the out lanes or the game is done for.
Make the flipper flip or a call out before the ball shows up.
Everyone who plays this finds it madding that there ball has drained before they even know it. Folks here just walk away from it in disgust after missing the balls being fed to the flippers.
Anyhow, how do you spell Benular/Bemular?
When is more content coming for UM?
[quoted image]

I've had my Ultraman for about a week, and there is definitely a notice when the ball lifts are releasing a ball. It took me a while to get used to it, but now it's sufficient notice "for me" to play. I agree it could be more obvious, it's subtle, and the timing is much less abrupt than a VUK or popper. It takes getting used to but I actually like it.

It's spelled "Bemular" but in the American dub from the 1966 show it sounds more like "Bemlar".
https://ultra.fandom.com/wiki/Bemular

RussM

#2218 1 year ago

Can anyone tell me what was in the pack-in bag that came with your Ultraman? Extra lights and stuff? I'm missing mine.

Thanks.

RussM

#2219 1 year ago

Also, has anyone successfully added lit flipper buttons to Ultraman (or Halloween)?

Thanks,

RussMyers

#2221 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Yep on the buttons. I chose the color changing ones. I use the comet diy kit. Simple and easy. And cheap. Use standard modern set.

This one?

It just piggybacks onto the coin door insert lamps?

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/illuminated-flipper-button-kit?variant=29411773481062

RM

#2222 1 year ago

I have been getting some ball hang-ups here.

Not sure what to do about it.

RM

Stuck Ball 1 (resized).JPGStuck Ball 1 (resized).JPG
#2223 1 year ago

Also, want to adjust the flipper bat alignment of the top (Jirahs) upper level mini playfield.

How am I supposed to get to the crank?

No matter what position I put the playfield in a cannot seem to be able to get to it.

RM

#2225 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

What is this? I don’t think that’s supposed to be there and it may be blocking the path of the ball. I believe to make flipper adjustments on the uppers you’ll have to remove the playfield. There is a video on YouTube from SpookyLuke on how to make some adjustments. Give that a watch.

[quoted image]

That's just the steel ballguide, kind of in shadow. My pic is kind of sideways.

This is a better view, and yes I watched that vid already; doesnt address where my ball is getting stuck.

Here's a better pic.

Stuck Ball 1 rotated (resized).jpgStuck Ball 1 rotated (resized).jpg
#2258 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

When was Ultraman day? Can't wait..

Ultraman Day is every July 10th.

https://tsuburaya.fandom.com/wiki/Ultraman_Day

RM

#2259 1 year ago

OK, my kid is a pretty good graphic artist and I am thinking of making some ramp decals for Ultraman.

Any suggestions as to what should be on them?

The right ramp I was thinking the SSSP Headquarters, but open to ideas.

RussM

#2327 1 year ago

If anyone cares, here is my solution for (mostly) safely propping the playfield up on UM/HWN to access the upper flipper, et al.

Pinball Universe Blade Protectors

Double-layer of pieces of spit closed cell pipe insulation

IMG_0344 (resized).JPGIMG_0344 (resized).JPGIMG_0345 (resized).JPGIMG_0345 (resized).JPGIMG_0346 (resized).JPGIMG_0346 (resized).JPGIMG_0347 (resized).JPGIMG_0347 (resized).JPG
#2339 1 year ago
Quoted from spandol:

Can you buy that insulation? This is a great idea for propping up the back. I can go look, but just thought I'd ask if it comes on the pipe or you can buy it separately.
Thanks!

You can get long tubes of that at any small local or bigbox hardware store and its very cheap.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Pipe-Insulation-ORP11812/204760805

RM

#2341 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Just a heads up your connections to your light boards are smoked..
[quoted image]

Yep, that's well spotted. Hadn't noticed that. All of those lamps are functioning correctly, however.

I'll contact Spooky and send them some pics, see what they say.

RussMyers

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
#2345 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

The discoloration is not being caused by hot connectors. A few months ago, our LED supply chain experienced a dry spell, so we had to build them in house for a short time. The connectors we used became discolored during the reflow process. It's a relatively small/cheap oven, so we had to run it a bit hot in order to properly solder a large panel of LED boards, hence the connectors look a bit toasty. But they're totally fine; no mechanical or electrical impact.

Good to know, thanks.

Like I said, they are all working 100%

RM

#2364 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I wouldn't set the amplifier by any specific setting. Go into the music test menu and adjust based on your ear. That said...here is how I typically adjust the dials starting from the furthest towards the back.
1) 80% - Primary Volume
2) 90% - Base
2) 90% - Treble
3) ?
4) 10% - Subwoofer

Have you considered putting a label on or next to the amp control dials?

I had to use a hand mirror to see what they were.

RM

#2365 1 year ago

OK, I am trying a scoop mod, adding a PETG protector and also remounting the Beta Capsule flasher so any impact does not break the smoked plastic/sneeze guard. Note, I stole this basic idea from user "movingpictures" in the Halloween owners thread.

RM

IMG_0388 (resized).JPGIMG_0388 (resized).JPGIMG_0389 (resized).JPGIMG_0389 (resized).JPGIMG_0390 (resized).JPGIMG_0390 (resized).JPGIMG_0391 (resized).JPGIMG_0391 (resized).JPGIMG_0392 (resized).JPGIMG_0392 (resized).JPGIMG_0393 (resized).JPGIMG_0393 (resized).JPGIMG_0394 (resized).JPGIMG_0394 (resized).JPGIMG_0395 (resized).JPGIMG_0395 (resized).JPGIMG_0396 (resized).JPGIMG_0396 (resized).JPGIMG_0402 (resized).JPGIMG_0402 (resized).JPGIMG_0403 (resized).JPGIMG_0403 (resized).JPG
#2369 1 year ago
Quoted from spandol:

Is it solving the issue for you?

Well, it's meant to address multiple things:

1. Reduce rejects from the scoop - this seems to be working

2. Reduce the chance of breaking the Beta Capsule plastic from ball hits (don't know, have to see what happens)

3. Reduce the chance of breaking the smoked plastic/sneeze guard from where the Beta Capsule lamp socket is attached from ball hits, hence moving the attachment point to a hex post attached to the PETG protector (don't know, have to see what happens)

RussMyers

#2379 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrg50:

Just set-up my Ultraman yesterday. The ball will sometimes jump out of the end of wire-form and drain when I make a left ramp shot. This seems to happen about once every 10 games. Is there anyway to fix this?

Assuming your game is level side-side, take off the lock nut and washer holding the end of the wireform to the post and bend it up a bit, maybe spread the upper and lower sections apart a bit. May have to fiddle with it.

RM

#2383 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They have a new update coming for Ultraman day? Bug fixes this next update would be the best thing in my view.

That's the scuttlebutt. Supposed to be a significant package, bug fixes, new graphics and game data display, vid clips, maybe callouts, and new features.

RM

#2455 1 year ago

OK, I feel like a moron. Even though I have read through the rulesheet, I cannot seem to figure out what is going on whenever these 3 inserts light up.

I'm stumped as to what they mean and what I'm supposed to do.

RM

UM Inserts (resized).jpgUM Inserts (resized).jpg
#2457 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Where can I find this rule sheet? I read through Rarehero rules in the key post. But I am interested in learning even more.

http://tiltforums.com/t/ultraman-wiki-rulesheet/7456

#2468 1 year ago
Quoted from stf_dnx:

How many times are you supposed to shoot the orbits to raise the drop targets after finishing a mode?
I sometime have to do it 2 times or more. Switch issue?

It seems to be twice on my UM. Doesn't seem to matter, 2 left orbits, 2 right orbits or 1 of each.

It would be great if there was some indicator like "Shoot orbits to reset drop targets" on the display, or if you made 1 orbit, the orbit inserts would pulse or flash until you made the 2nd orbit and the drops reset.

RM

#2470 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I believe it goes up by one shot after each mode, as well. This is where there could be some more polish applied. Like you mention, lighting effects and on screen instructions, etc.

Ah, did not notice that; yes would really be better with more feedback on that.

RM

#2509 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Good discussion about the pretzel shot. As the user above posted, not every shot that clears the first spinner is going to make the second spinner...period. Personally, I like that the pretzel is completed on super clean shots, but you can set it up so that it will complete the loop at slower speeds. Looking at a picture might give you some idea, but the exact setup is dependent on too many variables. It's probably best to just take the glass off and start shooting the shot. There is an "enable flipper" settings in the test menu that you can enable to practice. Shoot it a bunch and see what you prefer.

I am thinking that if they ever offer them in a small flipper version, the "butt pretzel" flipper would be an ideal candidate for the Precision-Flip Flipper System. You can make minute adjustments to dial it in entirely from the top.

RussM

#2523 1 year ago
Quoted from MT45:

Yup. Here you go
Not an easy shot to take
Need to pull the glass, shoot ball up center ramp enough to energize upper flippers, then grab ball and hit flipper button![quoted image]

I just wanted to say thanks here to MT45 for posting these alignment pics.

I know ever game is a little different, but I was really having problems getting my flipper for the upper playfield dialed in and I used his pics as a guide, just set it exactly like his and Bob's yer Uncle.

Shoots beautifully now; what a great shot in such a small space - Kudos to Spooky for this one.

Really enjoying my Ultraman now.

RussM

#2576 1 year ago
Quoted from Sandman454:

Hi all.
Finally going to get my Ultraman.
Is there a list of must haves in this one. Fuses req, Are Titans needed etc. any other tidbits of help.
Thanks in Advance.

I put Titans on mine, mostly clear, but white flipper rubbers and post sleeves. Make sure you get the slim tapered post sleeves.
This is a nice guide.
https://thepinballloft.com/2022/05/07/titan-transparency/

RussM

#2581 1 year ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

Happy Ultraman / new code day!!

Would be nice if Spooky would announce something.

RM

#2587 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

I am a relatively new owner so I haven’t been following the update announcements. I didn’t realize it wasn’t supposed to be out until noon. I will go back to doing chores and patiently waiting for the release!

No time was specified, AFAIK, and Spooky is in Wisconsin, for whatever that is worth.

RM

#2596 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyBug:

Hey everybody!!! Happy Ultraman Day! Code will be dropping in just a few here along with a YouTube video going over all the new animations and other updates to the game. Enjoy!!

YAY!

#2601 1 year ago

OK, sorry to sound like a moron, but I've downloaded the new 1.08 code_UM.pkg file and placed that file on a USB key (8gb, FAT32, 32K sector size), now what do I do with it?

#2604 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Copy/paste from HWN thread: Turn on your game, the open up the coin door; you should see a USB extension cable on the left of the cabinet, where you can plug in your USB drive. Plug the USB drive in, and wait for the update to complete. You can also plug the USB drive directly into the computer in the head of the game.

Sorry to start 2 threads.

OK I turned the game on, waited until it finished booting completely, then plugged the USB drive into the USB cable inside the coin door.

Nothing happens at all.

Is there a button to push or should it recognize the drive and file all by itself and just start updating automatically?

Tried the same thing by plugging it into the one open USB port on the top of the board in the head - same thing, nothing happens.

I'm running Windows 10.

Should I try a different USB drive?

RM

#2607 1 year ago
Quoted from MT45:

I plugged mine into USB slot with game OFF, then turned on and waited until the "game is updating" screen. It will tell you when done
When done shut game OFF, remove USB stick, turn game back on

Yeah, my 1st drive, an older Sandisk 8gb, meets all of those criteria; I was very careful.

No dice, so I grabbed a different flash drive.

I just tried with a newer Sandisk Cruzer 32GB drive, and it started working immediately.

It was the drive. Updating now.

RussM

#2624 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I don't see the timer coming back, but I do agree about the drain being too slow. It's not really slower, but with combination of pausing the ball in the subways and additional opportunities to regain health it feels less challenging. I already had that in my notes. It might become an adjustable game feature in the menu.

I do, however, really like being able to "hit" Jirahs using the drop target on the middle playfield too.

RM

#2625 1 year ago

Look, it may be my aging eyes, but the font size and very low contrast of the labels on the new UI are almost illegible.

At the very least, they should be very black against the silver background.

I have to lean forward and squint to see what they say.

RM

New UI Illegible (resized).jpgNew UI Illegible (resized).jpg
#2633 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I don't see the timer coming back, but I do agree about the drain being too slow. It's not really slower, but with combination of pausing the ball in the subways and additional opportunities to regain health it feels less challenging. I already had that in my notes. It might become an adjustable game feature in the menu.

Yeah, an adjustable rate to Ultraman's declining power level would be great: Slow, Medium, Fast, plus it is exactly in line with his Color Timer in the show, he has limited power to defeat the Kaiju and if it runs out, Coma Time.

RM

#2645 1 year ago

What is the Lifter Shake setting?

RM

#2659 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Noticed some jumpy footage in the new code, thought I would mention it. Like the larger screen in the middle with the original footage. Keep up the good work!

Yeah, I have seen that too, and some jumpiness in some of the video clips was there in 1.07 too.

RM

#2660 1 year ago

I am sometimes getting periods of gameplay where the ball isn't recognized sitting on the ball lifter (on the right side, could happen either side I guess) and gameplay stops until the ball search gets it going again.

The switch above the lifter (Right Lifter) tests fine every time.

I am guessing - could the lifter height be just a smidge too low and so when the ball is sitting on the lifter sometimes it doesnt block that opto entirely.

Anyone else see this?

RM

#2662 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Yes, as somone pointed out...it may be the subway needing a washer to allow it to get there(lifter) easier...havent done it yet...but on my to do list

In my case, I don't think it's the ball getting hung up in the subway on the way to the lifter, I think the ball may be getting to the lifter OK but when sitting on the lifter it's slightly too low to keep the opto switch closed.

RM

#2683 1 year ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Maybe it’s just me but i really don’t see a change in the photos.
Was the ball sitting to low on the lifter and that’s why it wasnt always reading? Im having the same issue with mine. If the optos need to be moved further away from the play field maybe a washer under each?

If you look at the third photo with the little arrows, he moved the position of the black opto on the right vertically by about 1/8", so the optos were more directly across from each other. This required new mounting pilot holes drilled.

If you compare that to the first pic, the optos are not directly across from each other.

The final position of the black opto means it's not really lined up with the hole in the subway very well, but if the material is transparent to infrared I guess that doesnt matter.

RM

#2685 1 year ago

What do you think of this?

With the removal of the Fight Jirahs timer, would Spooky consider adding:

Adjustable rate of Ultraman's Health Decline:

Easy (slow)

Moderate (medium)

Hard (fast)

Extra Hard/Hardcore - 3 minute health decline (exactly like Ultraman's Color Timer in the show) AND no adding health bars back using the light blue targets, 3 minutes is what you get.

I am a HUGE Ultraman nerd. This would be a fun way to go.

RussMyers

PS - I would also REALLY like a Mephilas Kaiju Mode - my favorite Ultraman villain

#2689 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I think they said UM’s health lowers by 3% per second. If they did an easy setting that was 2% per second and a hard setting that was 4% per second that would seem like a pretty good spread of options.

3% per second may be accurate, but that's pretty fast - only 33 seconds from 100% to zero.

Haven't actually timed it. Also not sure when the timer is or isnt running.

RM

#2708 1 year ago

I am not saying this fix is for everyone, but here is where I ended up:

Reduced/eliminated ball hits to the Beta Capsule
Remounted Beta Capsule to hex post eliminates damage to the smoked edge plastic
Reduced ball rejects to the scoop

RM

IMG_0422 (resized).jpgIMG_0422 (resized).jpgIMG_0423 (resized).jpgIMG_0423 (resized).jpgIMG_0424 (resized).jpgIMG_0424 (resized).jpg
#2714 1 year ago
Quoted from spandol:

Does the plastic really help? I tried a rough one, but it didn’t seem to. Would you be able to measure yours for me if its working well? I’ve been wondering about a good solution to scoop rejects. Thanks.

It does seem to help, and I'm going to add a little dead drop foam to the inside of the metal deflector.

The plastic is cut from a 2" x 2" piece of Lexan

RM

#2717 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Has anyone noticed that the game does not award an extra ball after it is purchased in the store? Or is that a Halloween only bug? If someone wouldn’t mind testing, that would be great.

I'll try and test this, also the SFX and MUSIC on during attract mode doesnt seem to do anything, and the Servo Tests work but the Servo Adjustment also seems to do nothing.

RM

#2729 1 year ago

With the new code 1.08 I have occasionally had:

The Start button stop responding, like in the Spacium Store or to select Kaiju, then start working again; sometimes I have to reboot the game

The Upper flipper goes dead, even when there is still a ball up there. Not often, but it does happen occasionally.

Sometimes, when I start a game and the ball enters the shooter lane the game also automatically awards me Baltan Lock 1 and the top Baltan kicks out and back, killing the Skill Shot before I even plunge the ball

RussM

#2732 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is a timer running out? That has happened to me and it seemed like a timer ran out.

That may be what's happening; Ultraman's health times out to Zero.

I will watch that more closely.

RM

#2734 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I think it's mostly the drop target. While trying to regain control of the ball, I'll often hit the drop target a few times. If the health is already down, it's really easy to lose 30% in a split second.

Yeah that definitely happens to me.

RM

#2742 1 year ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

My ball has not got stuck here but it does not feed to the flipper well and sometimes a little bump is required. What is the feeling of the design intent here - I am functional but should it be a clear feed to the flipper like I suspect MT45 's does?

My solution to this was to remove the rubber ring from the plastic post and replace it with a clear Titan narrow post sleeve. It's squishy material so I was able to slide it down over the post with some effort even though the plastic post is too thick for it technically. The post sleeve is narrower than the ring and now I'm getting a much smoother transition off that ball guide with no stuck balls at all. No re-drilling of mounting hole required.

RM

IMG_0427 (resized).jpgIMG_0427 (resized).jpgIMG_0428 (resized).jpgIMG_0428 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2782 1 year ago

Updated!

Looks good so far.

"adjust difficulty related to Ultramans health decay" - Easy Medium Hard - yay!

UM V1.08a
UPDATE Right subway ball eject routines redone
UPDATE Jirahs mode ending didn’t force full game light update
UPDATE Jirahs mode game feature added to adjust difficulty related to Ultramans health decay
UPDATE Spacium store, extra ball was not awarding collection properly
UPDATE “Skillshot Clear” option renamed to “Timed Plunge”
UPDATE sling power was not applying the correct value at the right time
UPDATE menu/start button added into switch test
UPDATE outlane save store item feature changed a bit and also updates its lights properly
UPDATE wizard mode was not stopping any existing ballsave timers that were currently running
UPDATE Baltan mode progress saves up to the restart hurryup phase
UPDATE Baltan videos were blocked off on mb restart, but never restored properly on super jackpot collection
UPDATE If voice volume boost setting is 0, music ducking does not get used
UPDATE store/mode select music changes

#2801 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, this issue persists for me. The drop target works fine, it does trigger both to go up and to go down…but if there is a ball locked in the Danesi lock and I drain, the drop target (though absolutely triggering) does not have the strength to pull down and release the ball…so it’s a glass remover every time if I don’t release the ball.
Any ideas on the issue or the fix? Has this happened to anyone else?
Thank you all in advance.

Hasn't happened to me, but...

Both the target at the top of the science patrol lane and the ball detect opto there work OK?

OK so that drop target resets up OK, and when you test it in coils the drop relay works OK and it drops smoothly every time

But it wont drop properly during play to release a ball locked behind it? Does it try to release and then get stuck partway down or something?

If yes, this may be because the weight of the ball behind it is pushing forward and something is causing it to get stuck then.

Id pull the playfield up and forward onto the rails so you can fiddle with that drop target manually, try to figure out what it's getting stuck on and why.

Mine works perfectly so it has to be something binding it up.

RM

#2810 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I got the Pigmon Multiball for the first time & a new high score! That Pigmon song is awesome, but the volume of it is very low & even gets faded down much of the time. In future updates, please make sure that song is nice & loud!
Rules question: What’s the point of the green lock shots in Dada mode? I assumed any balls locked leads to a Multiball, but I’ve defeated him a few times & there was no MB. [quoted image]

Hey, I just recently got the Pigmon Multiball for the first time & a new high score for me as well. Great mode, really blew it up.

Sound engineering could really use some improvement, balance, loudness and clarity - would really polish it up.

Not sure about DADA mode; never reached that yet.

RM

#2815 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ahhhh - ok, that makes sense. Sort of.
Green/lock is synonymous with locking for Multiball. It might be worth doing something different with this Dada “lock” stage. Maybe change the color from green…maybe keep it blue but with a different effect, like a fast flash? Maybe call it a “Big Punch” or “Super Attack” (or maybe there’s a better UM-specific term to use).

"Ultravision"

RM

#2816 1 year ago

Center ramp rejects - check clearance of spring steel

I was getting some rejects even on hard clean shots and I think the spring steel ball blocker was catching on the very edge of the plastic so I shaved it down a little bit. Seems to have fixed it.

RM

Before (resized).jpgBefore (resized).jpgAfter (resized).jpgAfter (resized).jpg
#2832 1 year ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Dedicated subwoofer for the game? Nice.

Now it really is "Kaiju <<<RUMBLE>>>"

RM

#2836 1 year ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

Fellas, can u tell me where this plugs in.. ots not labeled. And let me say that I 100% appreciate spooky labeling so many if these connectors. Makes it sooooo much easier.
[quoted image]

Those wires go somewhere - what's on the other end?

RM

2 weeks later
#2879 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnDeere:

I am overall impressed and satisfied with the callouts and the style (more is always good of course) but the repeating 'no more clones' as I keep missing the correct scoop shot I would agree would be the first to expand on. Even as simple as just randomizing between 2-3 responses would be great nothing too crazy.

THIS. THIS RIGHT HERE.

RM

#2899 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It does. Green box on boot up.

The code version is also shown when you go into the Settings menu, yes?

RM

#2913 1 year ago

Has anyone else had this issue, and if yes, any solution to protect it in the future?

This is on my Ultraman, but same for Halloween.

Twice now, I have had a ball hit the exposed RGB LED strip right at the left edge of the middle playfield.

One or more LEDs go dead, and the downstream part of the strip stays a single color.

Same LED strip damaged again, exact same place.

The ball smashes into this corner and it's broken again.

I cannot have this keep happening, so has anyone else come up with a ball shield for that area?

RussMyers

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpgIMG_0458 (resized).jpgIMG_0458 (resized).jpgIMG_0459 (resized).jpgIMG_0459 (resized).jpg
#2915 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I had an issue on my personal game with airballs. Adjusting the flipper rubbers pretty much eliminated my airballs. That said, if you keep getting them a shield of some kind would help reduce the damage the airballs are causing.

Adjusting the rubbers how; making sure they were seated all the way down onto the flange?

I am brainstorming on making a hard clear plastic shield, just for that corner area primarily.

RM

2 weeks later
#2965 1 year ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/142292
Insane deal for a butter CE... if this was driving distance from me I'd be grabbing it.

Someone's getting a hell of a deal

RM

1 week later
#3001 1 year ago

OK, for anyone who has had the issue where a ball hit has damaged the RBG LED strip on the edge of the middle playfield, here is my attempt at a ball shield.

I just made it so testing begins today.

.093 Lexan
8" x 1/2"
Heat bent

Since I was replacing the broken led strip anyway, I used the zip ties to hold the shield in place.

RM

IMG_0482 (resized).jpgIMG_0482 (resized).jpgIMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0486 (resized).jpgIMG_0486 (resized).jpgIMG_0487 (resized).jpgIMG_0487 (resized).jpgIMG_0488 (resized).jpgIMG_0488 (resized).jpg
#3004 1 year ago
Quoted from spandol:

So, did you just use a heat gun to bend it? I wasn't sure if it was workable like that.

I preheated my toaster oven to 325F, laid the lexan strip on a sheet of aluminum foil on a tray, and waited 2-3 minutes until it started to sag.

The first time I tried, waited too long and the lexan bubbled on me (ruined)

I had on leather gloves and bent the soft hot lexan over the corner of my wooden cutting board; not a perfect match to the curve, but close enough.

I was worried my heat gun would heat it too much too fast.

RM

#3006 1 year ago

Great idea and execution.
Note to Spooky: Another replacement part to add to the list. Please.

Thanks!

We'll see if it holds up.

I've had to replace that LED strip twice now, broken in the same place by ball strikes right at that corner.

NOTE: Spooky is now using LED strips that have a much shorter pigtail plug end, about 6" instead of 18" that requires routing it differently.

RM

Resized_2 (resized).JPEGResized_2 (resized).JPEG
#3008 1 year ago

Have you called Spooky service and talked directly to AJ?

He has always helped me quickly.

RussM

Quoted from vincz:

the topper motor for my Ultraman is going to be replaced by Spooky, great!
but I haven't heard from them for weeks, I send emails but I don't have any Morgane's answers.
I paid also an order of $90 in August.
Do you know if they are alive right now? I think they really have a problem nothing has being sent
Is there only one person who manages the whole Spooky after sales service for worldwide ?
I currently have 5 spooky pinballs and I wonder if it will always be like this

#3010 1 year ago
Quoted from vincz:

AJ ?
only by email , i'm in France..
for Dutch pinball for example if you have any issue with your Big Lebowski, you don't have to call in Nederland..

OK, understood. Didn't know you were in France.

"AJ" is the tech support guy who answers the phone at Spooky Pinball.

RM

#3014 1 year ago
Quoted from ninjedi:

Curious...
Is the upper right flipper only activated once the ball goes up there?
It seems to be that way for me currently, but earlier games it seemed to flip all the time.
(but I've just set up the game yesterday, so haven't had that much time with it)

Yes, only when the ball is up there.

Middle level flipper active all the time.

RM

#3015 1 year ago

OK, stupid weird question:

Has anyone else ever seen the ball go from being knocked around on the upper playfield and suddenly directly end up back on the lower playfield?

I have had this happen like twice and it's so fast and unexpected I can't tell how it gets there.

Can't tell if it came down the middle ramp or the right hand (hidden ramp); it's like it hit an unseen magic hole in the upper playfield.

And I nuts or has anyone else had this happen?

RM

#3020 1 year ago
Quoted from ninjedi:

Power cycling the game resets the credits to zero.
Is there a setting for this or can this be addressed in future code?

If it's on Free Play, this doesn't matter.

If you have it set to Coin Play (is it on location?) if you turn it off and back on, and any active credits disappear, isn't that how every pinball machine works?

RM

1 week later
#3060 1 year ago
Quoted from DK:

One bug I encountered a couple of times yesterday was trying to buy “open headquarters” w 3 spacium. The game would not allow me to purchase it

I think this bug is well known already; not all of the Spacium Store items work yet.

Maybe in the next code drop, probably Oct 31st.

RM

2 weeks later
#3124 1 year ago

OK, for anyone who is having problems with a lot of rejects on clean or mostly-clean shots to the Beta Capsule scoop, replacing the factory scoop deflector with the one from Marco made a HUGE difference. Literally the very first game with it in I beat my high score. It's a PITA to install and you have to drill a 3rd hole and grind the sides down to fit, but for me it was worth it.

RussM

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=535-8250-04

#3127 1 year ago

It would be nice to know if Spooky plans on making this modified part available.

I strongly doubt it, but if enough people ask for it, who knows.

I will say, if they mail out an alternate scoop deflector in the mail, the install is not very easy.

RM

#3132 1 year ago

The next UM/HWN code update appears to be delayed past Oct 31st.

Disappointing.

RM

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#3208 1 year ago

OK, maybe this doesn't affect anyone else, but I dislike that UM has no stops on the back ends of the service rails, so I added these bumpers.

Drilled holes in the bottom of the rails (don't even have to take them out) and used small bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts.

Now when I have the back end of the playfield lifted to get to the middle and upper playfield stuff, the playfield can't just slide forward and off the end of the service rails.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBFD3SH

RussMyers

IMG_0514 (resized).jpgIMG_0514 (resized).jpgIMG_0524 (resized).jpgIMG_0524 (resized).jpgIMG_0526 (resized).jpgIMG_0526 (resized).jpg
#3224 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

It happened again . I'm having a blast with UM but every day or so a ball goes up the center ramp and disappears completely. Every time I can pull PF to service position and it's inside the cutouts for the uppers. I have to be missing a gap back there but can't find any info on this or HW threads.
Below is a pick with the ball still trapped in there. Please if anyone has any ideas I'd be game to try it our. I'll reach out to Spooky next week, but this seems like a minor adjustment to me.
[quoted image]

I want to see the upper playfield area of your game with the top plastic removed.

I wonder if you are missing a post or there's a broken or missing rubber up there.

RM

#3226 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

I'm about to be out of town for a week so can't do a tear down today. When I get back I'll take the top apart cause I want to check the diverter too (getting lots of rejects from HQ). Only had it a few days and this has happened 4 times. Really breaks the flow when you have to pull the PF up.
About the disassembly of the uppers. Are there only two bolts holding the cover on the top PF? When I first lost a ball I tried removing those but the cover didn't budge. Could just be a tight fit.
Anyway, thanks RM and I'll get it taken apart next week.

2 or 3 nylon lock nuts and it just pulls off, very easy

#3238 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

There is a model version that is very fragile, I bought the ship model since my BSE doesn't have one and even glued together (technically a "snap" model) it doesn't seem sturdy enough to handle even a single errant ball hit so I don't think I will put it in. We will need to find a "hotwheel" style of the Science Patrol vehicle.
I have been thinking a lot about a COOL topper too, and have fallen into a DEEP hole of Kaiju Monster models and demolished buildings for "train sets". I want to have at least Red King, Jira and UM along with some burning buildings and maybe a couple power lines sparking

I have dreamed of a topper for UM: a detailed 3D sculpt of Hayata's arm holding the Beta Capsule that can flash.

RM

#3246 1 year ago

OK, at the start of every ball, if you hit the ball into the Science Patrol lock, the target should pop up and hold the ball there, "Secret Skill SHot" is displayed on the screen (or similar language) and the game kicks another ball into play, leaving the first ball behind the raised drop target.

It acts like a free extra ball, in that if you drain the ball in play, the drop target drops and you can keep playing with that ball. If you knock the target down yourself, it gives you kind of a mini 2-ball multiball.

That's the way it should work.

If that drop target raises and lowers correctly in coil test, and both the opto switch and the target switch in the science patrol lock lane are all working but it behaves differently, I'm not sure what is happening. BUT, it may be the drop target up/down switch is not working, i.e. the game cant tell if that target is up or down.

Check that one. There is a little plastic blade on the back of the drop target itself that goes between a u-shaped opto switch. There needs to be a little black cover on that little blade that can fall off and it stops blocking the beam.

RussM

Quoted from dmj1977:

hi all - happily received my UM all the way here in Australia this week. Just wanted to check something. The first 2 games I played, I managed to hit the skill shot behind the right drop target. Both times the game sent an extra ball into play (creating a 2 ball multi ball) but I think this was in error?
Either way, the real issue I have now is that whenever I hit the target on the right, the shot seems to register but the drop target stays down. Is this normal behaviour? I'd have thought the drop target would pop up, trapping the ball, at least some of the time? I did a switch test and rolling the ball over the drop target results in both science patrol target registering a hit and the lower right drop opto triggering. Separately, when I tested the drop target via the menu it both raised and lowered.
Am I missing something? thanks for any advice....

#3250 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

RM was 95% right. When you hit that "super skill shot" (the science patol lock to the right) immediately upon launch it will catch that ball (trap it) and give you another ball just like RM said. However, if you hit that shot AFTER you've hit any other target it is not an automatic lock. If you hit that science patrol lock AFTER hitting any other targets (like after skill shot or skill shot failed displays) then you have to hit the back of that lock THREE times to get a lock. So, your game is working as expected! Enjoy!

I just didnt get that far in my explanation LOL.

Isn't it 4 or 5 times, not 3? Hayata in boat, then Fuji, then Ito with his hurt foot hopping, then Cap, then what?

We REALLY need to crowd-source a complete Rule Set for this game, with pics, like on a Wiki; maybe Pinwiki?

RussM

#3252 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

It very likely IS 4 or 5 times. I was just trying make it clear that it would not immediately lock unless it was a "skill shot" done before hitting any other target and beyond that it will only register this hits until whatever number is satisfied before locking it.
100% agree, we need some more detailed rules, BUT, I am also hoping for some major updates and potential rules changing so we shouldn't put TOO much effort into it yet, IMHO.

Deliberately made this happen during gameplay last night - It's Hayata in boat, then Cap, then Fuji, then Ido, then last shot locks it, turn red, and display is clip of Arashi. So 5 to lock.

RM

#3255 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Boat
Pipe smoker
HQ chica
Step on a nail
Lock
This is what I remember from trying to practice that shot recently. I don’t know anyone’s name yet. But I’m bad with names anyway. Faces and voices are what I remember easily.

I'm a huge Ultraman Nerd - watched the show every afternoon when I got home from school:

Boat (this is Hayata, he's the guy who uses the flashing gadget to turn into Ultraman)
Pipe smoker ("Cap" or Captain Mura, head of the Science Patrol)
HQ chica (Fuji, like Uhura but also gets in on the action more)
Step on a nail (Ido/Ide - the Inventor Nerd and Comic Relief)
Lock (Arashi, the "Gun Guy")

RM

#3260 1 year ago
Quoted from Hershy:

Noticed a problem when playing today:
Any time i got a ball in the right scoop for the right side tunnel it wouldn't necessarily send the ball out until a ball search started. During Baltan multiball I had three balls in that scoop and it would send only one out. when that drained then a ball search would happen and the next would be sent out and so on.
anyone experience this?

Yes, and it could be one or more things going on.

Take the glass off and drop a ball into the Beta Capsule hole and look straight down at it. This is one area balls can get stuck, right at the bottom of the hole; several threads about this. Could be interference from a lamp cable near there, or playfield not level, etc.

Can also be the opto switch at the end of the subway right at the right-hand ball lifter not detecting the ball is there. Can't see it - game waits for ball search to clear the lifter. Check that too.

RM

#3262 1 year ago
Quoted from Hershy:

Thanks RussMyers. Though I couldn't figure out what the problem was, when I lifted the playfield to check the subway and then lowered it the issue resolved itself.

Probably means ball(s) are getting stuck somewhere then.

RM

#3268 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Halloween code will drop first, but the next Ultraman code already has quite a bit of new stuff programmed in. Just needs some polish.

I volunteer to test UM code.

I have 4 years of experience as a Software QA Analyst, but admittedly quite a while ago.

LMK if you want people to field-test code.

RussMyers

#3270 1 year ago

"I volunteer as Tribute !!!"

1 week later
#3293 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

Did but playfield still dead
[quoted image]

Check the connector that comes from the power supply board in the back right bottom of the cabinet to the Pinotaur board mounted on the bottom of the playfield. Does that board have power?

The main data cable from the PC board in the head to the Pinotaur board is a USB cable (I think)

Are both ends seated well?

RM

#3296 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

Found it usb was unplugged when the board fell out . Crap way to mount a main board

OK so you plugged the USB cable back in and now the game boots?

Working fully?

RM

#3301 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Also , minor thing but found a typo in the replay menu
[quoted image]

I reported that typo to AJ at Spooky about 2 or 3 months ago.

They'll get to it eventually I guess.

RM

#3303 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

How do you light extra ball normally? The scoop was blinking green and gave me a WTF moment. Collected it and was happy, but have no idea how it came up in the first place.
Also, is there any idea if mode and multiball progress memory in the plan? Would be really nice if you didn’t have to start from scratch on everything but Baltan for modes and multiballs.
Also, part 2. Poor Pigmon. I haven’t watched the episode yet but I can’t help but laughing every (rare) time I get to start his mode. It’s funny, but sad, I think.

I have lit Extra Ball a few times and collected it; have no idea how I qualified it.

We REALLY need an updated and complete Rule Set published for UM/HWN.

Do most people know if you drop the middle target only at the start of a ball, it flashes blue and if you send the ball through the middle again, without hitting either the left or right drops and make the center ramp it activates Double Scoring on Ultraman? Great vid of splitting the Baltan with the energey buzz saw.

RM

#3320 1 year ago
Quoted from Don44:

My lower right drop target lock does not work most of the time. The drop target works fine and the Opto works in test mode. Anybody had this problem that could help?

Can you describe exactly how it does not work?

There are two switches in the lock - one set of optos that detect the presence of a ball in the lock, and the standup target at the back of the lock that detect ball hits.

Both of these must work correctly.

There is an additional U-opto switch on the target mech itself that detects whether the target is Up or Down - that must work correctly.

There are two coils - the target reset coil and the target drop coil. Both of those must also work.

Are all of those things working correctly in test?

With the glass off, if you start a game, the target should be down, grab the ball during skill shot mode and toss it in the lock.

Does it detect the ball and pop the target up trapping the ball?

RM

#3324 1 year ago

My understanding is this:

The Science Patrol Lock is active at the start of every ball during the SKill Shot Mode.

If you get the ball into the lock without hitting anything else, the ball locks in and acts as a Free Ball (secret skill shot); it unlocks and gives you the ball back if you drain.

If you knock it out of the lock yourself, you get a little mini multiball.

During regular gameplay, you can re-activate the Science Patrol Lock again by hitting the back target 5 times:

1-Hayata in Boat
2-Cap
3-Fuji
4-Ido hopping on one foot
5-Arashi with Gun (locks ball)

RM

Quoted from Don44:

Thanks Russ, I think I just needed a better understanding of the rules. I didn’t know you had to hit that target during skills shot. The target doesn’t stay up every time but it gives you the second ball if it doesn’t. Probably Just needs a little tweaking

#3329 1 year ago

Code 9.0 Update Day: Thursday Dec 8th !!!

RM

#3334 1 year ago
Quoted from alexorear:

This is just for Halloween. Luke stated a few weeks ago that Halloween would get an update first and Ultraman would be coming later. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll get an update but nothing has been announced yet.

Hmmm. I assumed this (9.0) would be a Halloween-focused update, but that Ultraman would also get code updates/bug fixes (but no graphical updates), just like Halloween got updated on Ultraman Day with 8.0/8.0a but the other way around.

Ultraman gets nothing at all on Dec 8th?

RM

#3337 1 year ago

I think this is correct and they are running TNA 2.0 now, and will start running Scooby CEs as soon as the TNAs are done.

RM

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Are UM and Halloween officially off the line at Spooky? All machines finished?

#3338 1 year ago

If this is true, I have huge Boo-boo Lip now.

RM

#3340 1 year ago
Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

People wanting code….waiting for our machine to arrive in New Zealand.
Good things take time.

#3350 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm going to force this spoon scene into the game at some point.
[quoted image]

I would love to see Mefilas at some point. My FAVORITE Ultraman Kaiju.

RussM

#3353 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

How about giant Fuji!

YES.

#3354 1 year ago
1 week later
#3422 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

I noticed the 1.08a code is now locked down on google drive. I can no longer download it. Anyone else see this?

Just downloaded fine for me. Win10 PC.

RM

#3424 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Weird. Google asks me to sign in and then denies me access and asks me to request access.

can you try a different browser?

RM

1 week later
#3454 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I have an idea on another way to use the far right drop/standup shot. Use it as an add-a-ball in multiball. One hit traps a ball, game kicks out another into the multiball. Hit the drop and the ball is released into the multiball and a ball save kicks on.

That is a compelling idea.

RM

#3457 1 year ago

Nice. Spaten is tasty, my fave is the Optimator.

RM

#3466 1 year ago

Nice. Spaten is tasty, my fave is the Optimator.

RM

Quoted from Var1AbL3:

Was playing our UM BSE tonight and noticed there was no light coming from the edge of the middle playfield. As you can see below, the lights are off after the first few.
Is there a fix for this? Or, am I gonna have to replace that light strip. Has anyone put plastic/rubber diffusers on these strips? Not because of their brightness, that's good, but because it seems like a single ball hit could short out a whole strip.
[quoted image]

Call AJ at Spooky and he will send you a replacement LED strip.

Yes, most likely from a ball hit because it's so exposed.

I had two break at exactly the same point - the corner.

My solution was I made a clear lexan strip as a cover.

Has stayed intact so far.

RM

IMG_0482 (resized).jpgIMG_0482 (resized).jpgIMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0486 (resized).jpgIMG_0486 (resized).jpgIMG_0487 (resized).jpgIMG_0487 (resized).jpgIMG_0488 (resized).jpgIMG_0488 (resized).jpg
#3499 1 year ago

Yes, but only since the 8.0a code update.

RM

Quoted from guitarded:

In Jirahs, the targets add life/time and the VUK does damage.

#3502 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Just doesn’t seem that obvious you are doing anything to those progress bars. No sounds call outs or animations afaict??

That's not correct, or it shouldn't be on 8.0a code.

During Jirahs Battle mode, the middle playfield left and right targets should be lit Blue, and hitting them should add life bars to Ultraman. There should be a sound and the life bar goes up a bit on the display.

The VUK hole behind the drop target in the center should be lit Purple, and hitting the VUK takes life away from Jirahs (but it's a low rate hit, like 2% - you have to hit it a few times for it to show up on the display as a red "-5%" or something like that). There's an audio cue for this too.

RM

#3503 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

And that’s the concern. Another year of updates sounds brilliant but if it’s 3 months or more between each one and it’s Halloween then ultraman alternating that’s not that many for ultraman and we still have so many basic things missing…
This code feels like 0.50 not 1.08a in my view… so we need another 5 big updates to get a decent v1 release….

Yeah I agree fully. There is no reason why regular small code drops shold not happen for both UM and HWN, like every 60 days.

Sooner for bug squashing (.a , .b, .c etc)

RM

#3525 1 year ago

I did something similar:

IMG_0388 (resized).JPGIMG_0388 (resized).JPGIMG_0403 (resized).JPGIMG_0403 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#3553 1 year ago
Quoted from alexorear:

I also dislike how the shots to quality a multiball mode are basically useless once you complete the multiball. After I played Zetton the other day there wasn't much else to do the rest of the game (I still had 3 balls left to play). I had already played Gamora so the up playfield was useless and the middle playfield is only used for Bemular so it was now useless as well. I also didn't complete Zetton but since you can't replay the multiball modes there's no way to go back and replay Zetton. It's things like this I find frustrating. It would be nice to be able to replay multiballs after completion, but maybe with a higher difficulty to qualify but also awarding higher scoring jackpots.

OK, I agree with most of what you wrote here, so I'm on your side, but this part is not correct.

The Quick Battles (Ragon, Gamorra, Dada, etc) can only be completed once per game AFAICT. You are right - once the whole schmear has been completed (to Zetton, at least, these should reset with higher difficulties to complete)

However, the Multiball modes can be completed more than once: Baltan, Bemular, and Jirahs can all be earned multiple times - it's right there on the playfield inserts.

It's definitely harder to qualify Bemular on the 2nd time - you have to drop the Target 3 times instead of once to start it again.

What we REALLY need, in addition to a lot more code, is a complete Ruleset written out with pictures.

I would like to crowdsource that with other Ultraman owners.

RussM

#3557 1 year ago
Quoted from alexorear:

This is only true if you don't hit the super jackpot which completes the multiball. You still get to keep playing the multiball that you are currently playing after hitting the super jackpot and with some it will add a ball after hitting the super jackpot, but once the super has been hit and you drain down to one ball you cannot replay that multiball.

OK, you are absolutely correct. You are a much better player than I, guess I haven't gotten enough Super Jackpots to see that.

I took the glass off and did it the cheat way and yeah, the Baltan, Jirahs and Bemular multiballs are done leaving not much to do.

Hmm.

RM

#3580 1 year ago
Quoted from Guitarpinman:

Also, another question regarding the Judith Myers ball lock. I've read many people suggest that it's currently under utilised; are there plans to do something really cool with it? (am I correct in saying that there aren't the necessary magnets in place to be able to lock multiple balls like on TNA?
Thanks very much in advance; it's really cool to see the Spooky guys interacting on here.

Yes, there is no magnet, so the Judith Myers/Science Patrol lock can hold one ball only, however...

It could be much better utilized with creative coding, including (I think) as a captive newton ball since there is a standing target at the back, and a pair of optos side-side to detect ball presence, so theoretically with a ball locked, you could hit the drop target with enough force to have the trapped ball hit the back target while the drop target would instantly reset, keeping the locked ball trapped until you achieved whatever objective and it could release for a two-ball multi.

RM

3 weeks later
#3632 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Obviously we're behind where we wanted to be, but Matt is cleaning up code on Ultraman. If you find bugs that are repeatable, for sure send him an email as noted from a few posts above.

I think I speak for a lot of Ultraman owners in that,

1. We understand that losing Fawzma as lead coder has set code advancement back quite a bit; can't be helped
2. Matt has had a huge task set for him to bring UM/HWN code up to date, but he sounds like the person for the job
3. It really has been a long time since UM has seen any code updates at all, and that is really very frustrating and disappointing for us, but we are hanging in there.
4. After the (hopefully soon) major update, my opinion is it would be best to have regular shorter-term updates that fix and add fewer things, but happen more often. That is what most of us expect from good support.

Especially psychologically, small updates every 60 days or so (a very reachable and reasonable time frame) would be much more welcome than a major update that takes six months

Just my 2 cents, which is not worth much I suppose.

RussMyers

#3647 1 year ago
Quoted from Hypercoaster:

"losing Fawzma"? We all think his @ss got canned, right? Like, i'm not exactly torn up that the third rate coder got the boot, and I think Spooky is much better off without him.

Look, I try to be circumspect in the way I speak, and if you think any company is going to speak publicly about employee issues, you're high.

Even if you're correct.

RM

#3656 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I wasn't planning on selling them. Do you have a printer and photo paper?

I take files like this to the local FedEx print center, print out on quality paper; they have a precision cutter to cut them out, then use the self-service laminator, then trim again.

Costs maybe 5 or 6 bucks.

RM

1 week later
#3684 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I wasn't planning on selling them. Do you have a printer and photo paper?

I take files like this to the local FedEx print center, print out on quality paper; they have a precision cutter to cut them out, then use the self-service laminator, then trim again.

Costs maybe 5 or 6 bucks.

RM

Quoted from Happy81724:

I had to remove the upper playfields and now I can’t figure out how they go back together. Does anyone have pics/diagrams on connections and screw locations? I feel like there were more than 2 screws in the second one but maybe not
Yes, I know I should have taken more pics than 2 lol

Would you mind taking and posting some pics on this process as you go?

Might help other owners if they want to do the same.

RM

#3685 1 year ago

Would you mind taking and posting some pics on this process as you go?
Might help other owners if they want to do the same.
RM

1 week later
#3769 1 year ago

Kudos to Matt at Spooky for doing a great job. It's been a long wait, and this is a very nice update.

I really like the Science Patrol Assist, and new Science Patrol Multiball - really uses the SP lock lane to better effect.

Ultraman 1.10 Code Notes:

Feature Request/Assets - Ultraman Main Theme - (Music 1 File I think?) Does it have to be cut so short? The ending part where the spinning color goop comes to rest and you get the brass blast, that's the best part and it's missing.
At the very least, having the full intro audio and video sequence in Attract Mode would be cool. It's so Iconic.
I mean this: from 0:00 - 0:19

OK, asking too much here, but the "Ultraman Song" (either English or original Japanese) 0:21 - 1:06) is just awesome, and I wish it could be included somewhere

Feature Request - Can you add a Ball Trough Clear function?

Feature Request - Can you add a Ball Trough Test? This is very useful, and one of the diagnostic features on Stern games I love. Many issues with extra balls kicking out can be solved by identifying ball trough switch issues; can be integrated into the Ball Trough Clear Function.

Feature Request - Can you add a Ball Lifter Test? Should be able to step through the Ball Lifter Functions, Up/Down, including a Ball On LIfter Detected/Not Detected Switch Test all in one place

Feature Request - The text on the main screen is still fairly illegible - text is too light and contrast is too low (see attached picture)

Feature Request - show "Current Game Status" when flipper button held down - Maybe current ball, Earned Locks, etc

Feature Request - Start Game in Wizard Mode - If possible, would be awesome to be able to select this before starting a new game, like you can in say Stern's Jurassic Park, where you can select Play Escape Isla Nublar as an alternate game mode, rather than having to do it in the Settings

Bug - Extra text is left on the screen at Game Over/Ending screen (score is there twice, plus FP for free play I guess plus other text) - see attached pic

All just my thoughts and opinions.

Love Ultraman.

RussMyers

UM Code 1.10 Display Low Contrast TEXT (resized).jpgUM Code 1.10 Display Low Contrast TEXT (resized).jpgUM Code 1.10 Extra Text on Game Ending Screen (resized).jpgUM Code 1.10 Extra Text on Game Ending Screen (resized).jpg
#3777 1 year ago

Really really like the Science Patrol MB/lock changes, and being able to feed Bemular from the center ramp helps that feel a lot less grindy when you’re starting him up. The couple flipper flaps before a lifter eject is an awesome addition too, good shit all around.

That's the "Flipper Training" option in settings, right?

RM

#3779 1 year ago

After updating to 1.10, my autolaunch was very weak.

Went into Coil Settings and the default value for Autolaunch was 8.

Dialled this up to 35 and now much better.

Anyone else have this?

RM

#3781 1 year ago

If you can nail the back target in the Science Patrol lock lane over and over during Science Patrol Multiball the scoring gets high fast.

RM

#3790 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Haven't updated, but this sounds terrible.
Hope it is something you can switch off as I hate when a machine does this.

You can turn it off in Settings - "Flipper Training" I think; when on, only happens the first time the ball gets kicked out by one of the lifters.

Not a bad idea for new players, esp location play, but I turned mine off immediately.

RM

#3791 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

In the preview video it was noted that the ball drain light show was missing. Did they restore that in the code for UM? It appears they forget it in Halloween, our light show is gone

Seems to be there in UM.

Shoot an email to Matt at Spooky about it.

RM

#3792 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Sound like this might need a max value, or maybe after a hit and it goes to the next value it takes 2 hits and then goes to the next value, then 3. You collect each time but it’s 1,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4,… instead of 1,2,3,4,5…
I played a few games tonight and got into Science Patrol MB once and it was very cool. Nice addition for sure.

Would make sense for this to be selectable as "Easy, Medium, Hard" for SP Multi.

RM

#3826 1 year ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

SpookyLuke Is there a way to adjust the upper most flipper without having to pull out the playfield? I am trying to tighten up my butt pretzel.

Yes. You have to have the playfield in service position and raise the back of the playfield just above the rails and have something to hold it there.

I use pieces of cut pipe foam insulation, but there is also a Playfield Jack that a gut sells here on Pinside.

Just be careful the playfield doesn't slide too far forward since there are no stops on the slides at the lock bar. (I added those to my UM as well)

Here's some pics.

RM

IMG_0344 (resized).JPGIMG_0344 (resized).JPGIMG_0345 (resized).JPGIMG_0345 (resized).JPGIMG_0346 (resized).JPGIMG_0346 (resized).JPGIMG_0524 (resized).jpgIMG_0524 (resized).jpgIMG_0526 (resized).jpgIMG_0526 (resized).jpg
#3828 1 year ago

I pulled mine to far forward as a result of no stops.
dropped the rear of the PF into the bottom of the cab and smashed the main board.

Spooky is working with me to rebuild the board.

And exactly that is why they should have stops and why I added them to mine.

RM

#3830 1 year ago
Quoted from alexorear:

What did you make your stops out of?

These, plus some bolts and washers and lock nuts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBFD3SH

RM

#3832 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I don’t think the ball save is working during the Science Patrol MB. Had it happen twice today where I drained with it blinking and it never kicked a ball out. One time I had just started a mode, the other time nothing else was going on.

I will also take a close look at this.

RM

#3842 1 year ago
Quoted from monkfe:

ok I see it now...I didn't realize those were not factory...I would think something closer to the actual sliding part would be better as I would think this could still be pulled off the rails

Can't pull it off the rails as long as the rubber knob is behind the lockbar.

If you have it lifted over, no way to stop that from happening if you pull too hard and far.

Exact same with Stern playfields.

RM

#3843 1 year ago

What do people think of these?

No one was offering ramp decals for Ultraman, so I had these made.

My kid did the graphic design, and I had them professionally printed on outdoor-grade laminated adhesive-backed vinyl.

PM me if you are interested in a set.

NOTE: these are kind of experimental; never made ramp decals before.

RussMyers

IMG_0775 (resized).jpgIMG_0775 (resized).jpgIMG_0766 (resized).JPGIMG_0766 (resized).JPGIMG_0770 (resized).JPGIMG_0770 (resized).JPGIMG_0771 (resized).JPGIMG_0771 (resized).JPGIMG_0768 (resized).JPGIMG_0768 (resized).JPG
#3847 1 year ago

I think these look great, but I prefer bare stainless ramps.
Any chance you want to do decals for the spinner and SSSP badge on my standard? Or do you wanna tell me where you got those printed and I could take a stab at it myself.

I might work on those.

Thinking of some drop target decals as well.

RussM

#3848 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

Yes! We need better mods for this phenomenal game. Add me to your list, I'll buy a set.

PM me about it.

RM

#3851 1 year ago
Quoted from Blakester:

Drop target decals would be sweet too Russ

Working on it.

Open to suggestions for the 3-target set in the middle and the one at the Science Patrol lane.

RM

#3853 1 year ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Forgive me, but I hadn’t seen this mentioned yet. Found a light show bug on latest code:
If you start bemular and then press both flippers to skip the animation (immediately start the mode), the playfield lights continue to stay off for a few seconds when the ball comes back into play.
Extra challenge mode in a dark room.
Basically I suspect the light show isn’t being skipped when you skip the animation.

Haven't seen that, but I usually don't skip animations.

Have you sent that bug to Matt?

RM

3 weeks later
#3886 1 year ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

My upper flipper stops working and won't work even after back drain. Did a restart and it still didn't work. Has happened 1 time before but the flipper came back after a day or so. Any thoughts on where to look?

OK, need more info here.

Your lower two flippers should always work during an active game.

The upper two flippers should only work when a ball is on/able to get to the upper playfield.

Do all 4 flippers reliably work in Coil Test every time?

RussM

#3888 1 year ago
Quoted from fuko:

I miss the screen door screech sound at the end of each game -- the spine tingler sound that lingers after the match display.
It ends abruptly after taking the latest update. Hopefully this will be fixed soon?
Love the game either way guys.

Have you sent this question to Matt at Spooky?

He's the coder for UM.

RM

3 weeks later
#3966 11 months ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Does anyone have any cool instruction cards?

Yes! Contact user Mr_Tantrum

He makes a nice set of Ultraman Apron Cards.

Don't forget my Ultraman Ramp Decals; I have a few sets left.

RussMyers

IMG_0766 (resized).JPGIMG_0766 (resized).JPGIMG_0770 (resized).JPGIMG_0770 (resized).JPGIMG_0771 (resized).JPGIMG_0771 (resized).JPGIMG_0775 (resized).jpgIMG_0775 (resized).jpg
#3968 11 months ago
Quoted from beastmaster1981:

Hi ReadyPO ,
Oh yes Scooby is next But here in France, need to wait until end of the year
I had a lot of fun with my two first hour with this ultraman game ! Kids love it !
Only had one issue, after all this time, the three drop target doesnt reboot . Stay down...
I try the coil in the settings and the target get up. after i play again and always the issue. I try to lowering the power of coil to (40 to 35).
I shut down the game thirty minutes and everything is ok now. Whats happen ????

Check the three drop target switches, one for each drop target.

The game needs to be able to see that all three targets have dropped down before it will reset them.

The switches need to show as Active in the menu when they are down.

One switch may not be working.

RussM

#3981 11 months ago

Can y'all please drop this?

Enough already.

RM

2 weeks later
#4039 11 months ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Saw the new code for UM today and it was looking very very nice! Shouldn't be long now!

Luke, nice to meet you at Allentown.

That said, Matt is awesome and is no doubt talented and committed and working his balls off...

HOWEVER

We really, really need smaller code updates more often.

That it.

Really, really, really for true.

The psychology of people is really affected by waiting waiting waiting.

I did Software QA for 8 years.

It makes a huge difference in how you are perceived.

That's my thoughts on it.

Had a great game on UM tonight - put up my best Grand Champion score of 77 Million.

Really a good time.

The background song during Pigmon Multiball still blows - can barely hear it.

It harshes my good time, man.

Peace,

RussMyers

#4049 11 months ago

Great! I hope you like them.

I have some more coming soon: Drop Target Stickers and maybe the Science Patrol sticker for owners of the BSE and Standard editions.

That being said, this is a first-time for me, and although I had the print shop use their "highest-durability" outdoor-grade coated vinyl material, I don't really know how it will hold up.

My only thought is: (see pic)

The bottom of the decal is overlapping the spring steel flap. (white box)

This may create a hump that the ball wears as it passes over. Maybe.

I would try to keep the bottom edge of the decal just above where the ramp flap stops (red line)

If premature wear becomes and issue for you or anyone, I will be happy to replace decals at cost.

RussM

Quoted from Var1AbL3:

Well, I got the ramp sticker mods from RussMyers and today I took a little time to give UM a cleaning and install the ramp mods.
As you can see from the attached pictures they look awesome and were super easy to install. Just cleaned the ramps and then peeled the stickers and installed. The choice of backing was well done, I was able to easily adjust them and got this result.

#4057 11 months ago

OK, testing interest.

Anyone want a set of drop target decals?

Here's what I've come up with. Would be a set of all 6 decals.

Also available would be a SEPARATE decal for the Science Patrol Meteor emblem missing on the Standard (and BSE?) editions.

Thoughts?

RussMyers

#4058 11 months ago

Antlar! Mephilas! Giant Fuji!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4068 10 months ago
Quoted from treyspaghetti:

Will this be the week for the long awaited update???

I sure hope so.

"It's coming soon!"

A week goes by.

"It's coming soon!"

A week goes by.

"It's coming soon!"

A week goes by.

"It's coming soon!"

A week goes by.

"It's coming soon!"

2 weeks go by.

RM

#4072 10 months ago

Congrats! Have never gotten that far, myself.

And yes, the obvious thing would be to reset all of the mode goals after the Wizard mode, but (maybe) in "Level 2 Mode" - higher difficulty (like you have to hit every shot twice, or shorter time limits, etc) but with increased scoring.

OR

again, after the Wizard Mode is done

add Sudden Death (Color Timer) 3 minutes, after which any drain ends the game (regardless of how many balls you have)

Always good to have challenges available after the Wizard Mode is done.

RussMyers

Quoted from alexorear:

Played the Zetton Wizard mode for the second time last night. Locked all 6 balls and got the 7 ball multiball. Fun mode! Wondering what Ultra Brothers mode will be like. Would be cool if after Zetton that Baltan, Jirrahs and Bemular would reset.
[quoted image]

#4076 10 months ago
Quoted from BeeZooNours:

Hi there, new Uman owner since sunday!
I played around 20 games and... two crashes so far. Black screen, reset, and myself lying on the floor and crying...
Is the code really THAT bad, or do I have another issue?

OK, glad to see another Ultraman owner; sorry you are having issues.

Very unlikely that it is a code-related issue, but are you on the latest code? v 1.10 ?

RussM

#4079 10 months ago

Also, when you have an issue, as soon as you can, you can insert a USB flash drive into the socket on the board in the head and it will automatically write a log file to the drive

You can then email the log file and a description of any issues you are having and send it to Matt, who is the coder on UM and HWN

[email protected]

RM

#4081 10 months ago
Quoted from BeeZooNours:

Yes, 1.10
Matt advised me to install it again, i'll give a try tonigvt

OK, let us know how it goes.

I know that there were some of the miniPC units in the backbox that went bad, and Spooky has had to replace them.

Freezing and rebooting were some of the symptoms, as well as booting into the BIOS setup instead of running the game

Good luck

RM

#4084 10 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Okay, new servos for Baltan arrived yesterday. Replaced servo #3 and went to test it and still noting. Checked the connections under the playfield, everything looks to be in order. Servo #1 is also not working yet #2 seems fine for the most part. I see fuses on the board, would it be silly to think any of those need to be changed?

It looks like there is only one fuse for all of the servos. If 2 is still working but not 1 or 3 seems unlikely it's the fuse.

Are you certain the servo cable are plugged in correctly at both ends? They are not keyed so it may be possible to plug them in backwards.

If you swap 1 or 3 with 2 at the board end, does the working one change?

RussM

#4086 10 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Thank you so much; my super intelligent girlfriend got it figured out and swapped out all the servos for me while I was swamped at work. She's a keeper! Now we just have to diagnose a leaf switch near the top Baltan scoop that isn't responding.

OK, so well done, and yes sounds like a keeper.

What switch exactly isn't working? I assume you tried it in Switch Test and get nothing?

RussM

#4106 10 months ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Hi. Just joined the club. CE #314. Question. Is there a setting to make the flippers do the double click as a warning when the ball is coming out & where. My machine just lights the lane. I've played on location where it double clicks. Thx.

There is always a light blink and small sound when the lifters activate. This cannot be turned off.

Go into Menu - Feature Settings

Lifter Shake Yes/No - Shaker Motor will give a little shake when the lifters activate

Flipper Training Yes/No - Flippers will flip when the when the lifters activate, but only the first time per game per player

I think that's correct

RussM

#4108 10 months ago

OK I have put about 20 games on 1.11 code and several time I have had balls drain while the white chest light was still flashing and did not get my ball back, ending the ball or the game.

This is new behavior.

Anyone else seeing this?

Also, being able to select a specific time for ball save/ turn ball save off would be nice in Menu.

RM

#4114 10 months ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

I'm on ver 1.07. I need to update! Don't have feature settings in my menu. Lol.

Dude that will be a massive upgrade for you.

Do it.

RussM

#4115 10 months ago

Too late now, but how cool would it have been for a magnet somewhere to capture the ball by "Antlar"?

#4124 10 months ago

Hi everybody ,
Really enjoying the new expert mode , its fun !! Thanks spooky and Matt
Got 2 issue since update, no more ball save when light is on but i see i m not alone.
The other issue is when I lost the ball it takes really mych more time than before to end the ball game. Dont know if it comes from mine (i still have the first cpu version, no pc inside mine).
Vidéo here :
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YHq8yddSviV3QVEFA
Enjoy your game , have a good sunday all

Yep, Matt already knows about the Ball Save problem and he's working on it.

We'll probably get a quick bug fix update soon.

RussM

#4128 10 months ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Another new code observation....................BEFORE you ball plunge if you activate the flippers, whether it is ball 1, 2, or 3, it instantly enters you into a Jirah battle.
This has got to be a bug and I'm going to exploit it for a bit.

OK, tried to duplicate this on my UM - definitely not happening on my machine.

I upgraded from 1.10 to 1.11. Did you also go from 1.10 to 1.11?

Just curious.

RussM

#4129 10 months ago

Anyone seen any of these things with UM 1.11?

1. Have not been able to replicate this but, had 5 Spacium credits, went into Spacium Store, scrolling right through choices, as I neared but did not reach Extra Ball, screen went back to the "regular display" , then popped back to the Spacium Store. Weird.

2. After install of the 1.11 code (I upgrade from 1.10) the shaker motor seems much stronger, like it shakes the whole cab in a way it did not before. I have had stuff like that happen after upgrading UM code, i.e. a noticeable change in the behavior of a mechanism, notably suddenly the autolaunch was a lot weaker and I had to tweak it up (not with this 1.11 update however)

3. I have been getting into a situation when running Bemular (may or not be related to having another Kaiju mode running at the same time) when I can shoot the ball into the scoop on the middle (Bemular) playfield, and the drop target pops up, trapping the ball behind it. When the scoop tries to kick the ball out, it hits the raised target, and bounces back into the scoop, the target drops and immediately resets. This repeats 2 or 3 times, then the game drops that target (or stops resetting it) and the ball pops back out and on we go. Never saw that before this 1.11 update.

4. Old issue, and just a matter of opinion, but when the Battle Kaiju is lit at the Beta Capsule and it goes into Kaiju Select mode, it's always at Ragon first, but it doesn't say "Ragon", even though it does when you scroll over all of the other Kaiju pictures. Just seems inconsistent. The UI also seems to have trouble catching up if I scroll 3 or 4 Kaiju over and then choose one, it goes through all the names of the ones I scrolled past instead of just going to the one I just selected. Seems odd.

RussMyers

#4130 10 months ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Anybody else have speaker/sound issues? Specifically for me. Seems like the left speaker gets tons of static & electrical interference. Especially when the shaker goes off. Sounds like the speaker is gonna blow up with static. Sometimes when the coin door is open. It is loud. Slam the door and goes away. Almost like a loose speaker. But it's not. Almost more of a grounding thing?

Not happening on my game.

I would look at all of the speaker cable connections, especially both ends of the cable that goes from the head to the amp in the bottom of the cab.

RussM

#4133 10 months ago
Quoted from durgee7:

After a few plays, I agree with #2. I thought it was all in my head. Shaker intensity seems greater after updating from 1.10 to 1.11. Wish I could reduce the intensity. Couldn't turn those shaker weight set screws using a small allen wrench to rotate the weights.

I have adjusted a large number of shaker motor weights.

I will try this on mine and get back to you.

RussM

#4137 10 months ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Russ.........I went from an old version of code I had put in about this time last year. So whatever version that was. I was waiting for a bigger version and this last code was that for sure.
Maybe that is what is causing my bug

I did software QA for 6 years.

It is always "possible" to get different results with an update depending on where the user starts.

Run that past Matt. Do you have his email?

[email protected]

RussM

#4146 10 months ago
Quoted from Toby:

Ok thanks I gave it an hr guess I will turn it off and re try

Check the file name on the USB stick.

It has to be

code_UM.pkg

exactly.

RM

#4155 10 months ago

UM 1.11 - there seems to be no more "Failed Skill Shot" message if I miss my selected skill shot at the start of each ball?

Is that on purpose? Because it is a change in behavior.

RM

#4159 10 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I played 2 games with new code & I’m having trough issues I’ve never had before. Two balls ejected to start. Both went into play, I let one drain. Game proceeded as normal, but when the “real” ball drained - on Ball 2, no ball would launch. I had to restart the machine.
Looks like others have already pointed out other bugs like the overlapping text, music delays, etc. Sorry guys, this should have had more testing before release.

Have you tried running the new Ball Trough Test?

RM

#4166 10 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, everything checks out fine there.

Weird. I have put maybe 30 games on 1.11 and have had no multiple-feeding ball problems or endless multi problems at all.

Ball save not working correctly tho.

RM

#4182 10 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Since adjusting trough strength, I haven’t had the ball trough issue…but it’s kind of good that a bunch of us experienced it, as it made it clear that there’s the “next ball not launching” bug associated with it.
Here’s a question - not sure if I experienced a new bug or a new feature. What do turquoise insert lights mean on the upper playfield? I swear I had Bemular lit on the middle pf, the lights on the upper turned turquoise - I hit it up the middle ramp & the ball went to the upper, but the upper flipper became inactive so it went down to the middle. Seemed weird, but not sure what to make of it.

Yes, that was added at the start of Bemular in 1.10. Explained here:

RussM

#4184 10 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

OK, that makes sense...but that doesn't explain why my upper playfield flipper went dead when the ball went up there during Bemular.

It should not. So possibly a bug. I will start Bemular a few times and see whats up on my game.

RM

#4185 10 months ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

It should not. So possibly a bug. I will start Bemular a few times and see whats up on my game.
RM

OK, played 5 games or so, started Bemular as many times as I could, Upper playfield flippers were active, and light blue shots added time to the mission timer.

So seems OK on mine.

RM

#4190 10 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

I'm having 2 minor quirks on my UM:
1.) When the 2nd playfield drop target is lit or flashing I can hear a sound effect when I hit the left flipper button, almost like it's registering a hit yet the target doesn't move.
2.) When the upper playfield is "active" the drop target up there will often click repeatedly.
Is this normal?

At least part of this sounds like an issue with one or more switches.

Take the glass off and throw the game into switch test.

Make sure both of those drop targets are measuring Up/Down positions correctly.

Inactive = Target switch target should be up position; Active = Target should be in down position.

Ex: - 2.) When the upper playfield is "active" the drop target up there will often click repeatedly. - If the game thinks the target is down when it is actually up it may keep firing the target coil to reset it

RussM

1 week later
#4220 10 months ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Quick mod question. My daughter hand painted an ultraman figure that I printed. I mounted it on the plexi ball deflector over the drops. Looks great, but won’t hold with hot glue because of the ball hits. My next choice would be superglue or other epoxy. Has anyone had success with this. Don’t want to try and fail with the epoxy because if fails may destroy the plexi or figure. Any other locations to place figure that may be better?

Try Quakehold Earthquake putty. Like a super-strong version of the putty the kindergarten teacher used to stick up artwork.

Comes in putty and clear color.

May or may not hold strong enough, but cant hurt anything.

Hot glue will never stick to that smooth plastic

RM

#4232 10 months ago
Quoted from loopie82:

I just purchased an Ultraman CE (Thanks V8haha!). I'm on code 1.11 and noticed this issue. Once a ball is locked behind the science patrol drop target, if you drain a ball without successfully starting the 2 ball multiball, then the game will freeze. It then takes the game 3 ball search cycles to finally drop the target and release the trapped ball. I made a video of what is happening. Anyone else having the issue?

There are 3 switches in the Science Patrol lock lane.

A switch that tells the game whether the target is up or down

The standing target switch at the back of the lane that detects hits

An opto pair near the front of the lane that detects whether a ball is locked behind the drop target when it is up

I suspect there may be a problem with the opto pair, since the game is acting like it doesn't know a ball is sitting there

Throw the game into switch test and test that

RussM

#4236 10 months ago
Quoted from loopie82:

I just purchased an Ultraman CE (Thanks V8haha!). I'm on code 1.11 and noticed this issue. Once a ball is locked behind the science patrol drop target, if you drain a ball without successfully starting the 2 ball multiball, then the game will freeze. It then takes the game 3 ball search cycles to finally drop the target and release the trapped ball. I made a video of what is happening. Anyone else having the issue?

If the above tests OK, it "may" be related to a known bug in 1.11 code (should be fixed with update soon) where the game is losing track of balls when they drain, lost ball saves, kicking out too many balls, etc.

RM

#4252 9 months ago

OK, Finally got my Ultraman Drop Target Decal sets back from my printer.

Not everyone prints on clear adhesive vinyl, and not everyone wants to do such a small run for someone like me.

So here they are.

You get a set of 6 decals: Antlar, Mummy, Mephilas, DADA, Ultraman Head, Ultraman Spacium

The set is that, no mix n match. Trying to keep time and costs reasonable.

Cost for one set is $20.00 + Shipping Priority USA $10.50

There is also a Science Patrol Meteor Decal for UM versions that did not come with one (Standard version?)

That is $10.00 + Shipping Priority USA $10.50 (I have to print and hand-cut the Meteor Decal; no way could I sell enough for a pro printing run)

One shipping cost for combined/multiple sets of course.

Let me know what you think.

RussMyers

All 6 (resized).jpgAll 6 (resized).jpgAll 6 Cut (resized).jpgAll 6 Cut (resized).jpgIMG_0978 (resized).JPGIMG_0978 (resized).JPGIMG_0979 (resized).JPGIMG_0979 (resized).JPGIMG_0981 (resized).JPGIMG_0981 (resized).JPGScience Patrol Meteor (resized).jpgScience Patrol Meteor (resized).jpg
#4259 9 months ago

Now back to some bugs/improvements. As I mentioned before. Skill shot goes out if the ball eject doesn't make it all the way around the loop. When it comes out under the middle pf. So half your skill shot is unavailable.

- I have not seen that but I will check it on my UM

I wish the flippers would click every time to warn you of the ball coming to the flippers. The times are different everytime that it ejects.

- This is set to on or off in settings, but the flippers only flip the first time.

Physical sound would be nice everytime. Plus my dumbass gets caught catching the screen.

- On my UM, there is a light flash and a sound every time for the ball lifters. You can also set the Shaker to shake every time for the ball lifters. Have you tried setting that to On?

Lol. Also, is the drop target supposed to lock the ball everytime when you hit the microphone pin, standup? Mine does not, if so.

- No. You can lock a ball into the Science Patrol lane with one shot ONLY at the Skill Shot at the start of each ball. This is the Super Skill Shot.

Otherwise, during the game, you can lock a ball into the Science Patrol lane after hitting that back target 5 times - to collect all of the Science Patrol Members: Hayata, Fuji, Ide, Arashi, and Cap. On the 5th shot, the ball will lock.

RM

#4262 9 months ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Skill shot should not count without full plunge. Please don’t change this. Otherwise you could just short plunge to ease controlled catch. No skill involved. Keep it legit full plunge skill shot.

I disagree. Short plunge is just tactics, not a cheat.

Controlled catching is also an acquired skill; not everyone can do it or is good at it.

I also think you should get a Super Secret Skill shot by one-shotting the Beta Capsule scoop off a full plunge at Ball Start.

RM

#4263 9 months ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Thanks Russ. You're the best. I'll turn the shaker on for the flipper thing. Thx.

OK, so on my UM, there is a light flash and a sound every time for the ball lifters, BUT, the sound cue is now very low volume, especially on the right side, don't know why. The relative volume for this cue seems to be almost drowned out now since the latest update allows for more changes you can make to various sound levels. I want to ask Matt about that; no wonder you are missing it, I can barely hear it myself. I've trained myself to not need it, for the most part.

Also, yes, a short plunge will hit the lower right loop rollover switch and the game interprets that as a Missed Skill Shot. Should not happen with a full plunge/ full loop at ball start.

Kind of a matter of opinion as to whether that should happen (see above comments).

RussM

#4265 9 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Turn up the bass a bit on your amp. That should help. It’s a mostly bassy cue.

Oooh, may be a good call.

Ill try that.

RM

#4267 9 months ago
Quoted from alexorear:

Been having random balls not getting ejected after a drain, now my game won't eject balls at all except the first ball of the first game after a reset. If I go into the tough test I can eject balls without issue, ball count also looks correct. Stuck switches menu shows all 7 balls and the lower right drop target as active. Going to send AJ an email, but wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue.

OK, so you start a game, you get the first ball, and when that ball drains you never get another one? The game just stops right there?

RM

#4270 9 months ago
Quoted from alexorear:

End of ball sequence displays. Screen says to hit skill shoot for x points. No ball gets kicked out in to shooter lane, doesn't even try to kick out another ball.

OK, at the moment you get to that point, I'd throw the game into switch test or ball trough test and see if anything looks janky at that moment.

RM

#4274 9 months ago

What does everyone agree are the most noxious outstanding bugs with current UM 1.11 code?

Trying to keep track of what's going on.

RM

#4276 9 months ago
Quoted from alexorear:

Ball save not always working especially at the start of a mode, seems to be a new bug.

Yeah, that is annoying.

Happens on mine too and on HWN.

RM

#4279 9 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Not being able to adjust the outlanes really, really sucks. They are way too forgiving.

Yeah, OK I can see how that is a problem.

You could do something about that, if you DIY.

The outlane posts aren't moveable because they hold down the spring steel flaps covering the ball lifters.

I would try removing them and replace them with something that has as low a profile as possible to the playfield.

There may be a threaded machine bolt that has a flat head, or maybe a nylon bolt, same thing.

Worth looking for, and reversible.

RM

#4280 9 months ago

Being a big tourney player, I don't care for a fresh ball save at the start of a single ball mode. I'd love this to be an option to disable. I'd like to disable lots of stuff for tournament play. Still love the game, it's just way too long playing for tournaments at present.

Have your requested these features from Matt?

Turn off All Ball Saves ON/OFF
Turn off All Extra Balls ON/OFF
???

RussM

#4282 9 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

We're working on those features. Even had them in some beta code at one point, but we had to redo the entire ball save coding to get them working properly. Now that that's done we'll work on getting it implemented in a future update.

See?

There ya go.

RM

#4283 9 months ago

I wonder if I could take something like this, sand the head flat, and both cover the hole and hold the flap down.

Quoted from RussMyers:

Yeah, OK I can see how that is a problem.
You could do something about that, if you DIY.
The outlane posts aren't moveable because they hold down the spring steel flaps covering the ball lifters.
I would try removing them and replace them with something that has as low a profile as possible to the playfield.
There may be a threaded machine bolt that has a flat head, or maybe a nylon bolt, same thing.
Worth looking for, and reversible.
RM
[quoted image]

#4307 9 months ago

How long should it take to update?
Mine has been running 45 minutes?

Are you certain that the file on the USB drive is named exactly code_UM.pkg and not anything else?

And that is the only file on the drive and it's not in a subfolder.

RM

#4313 9 months ago

Thanks Russ, that was it.

Awesome. From 1.12 on, this should never be an issue again.

RussM

#4315 9 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Anyone else had your drop target bank in the middle not reset since the last two updates? It just happens on occasion. Resetting the game and it is back to normal.

Throw the game into switch test and test the up/down inactive/active status of all 3 targets and make sure all 3 register both positions correctly every time.

RM

#4318 9 months ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

My middle switch drops partially. I have to investigate further. The end targets drop with my finger ... maybe I have a bad spring?

You need to get your game up into the service position and take a good look at what's happening back there.

It should be obvious if you can see the mech when you drop and reset the targets.

If necessary the whole target mech comes out pretty easily.

RussM

#4319 9 months ago

It's cheap and easy, really liking the plastic canvas on the speakers to smooth out the light show.

A two-pack let me do two games, Scooby and UM.

RussMyers

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#4322 9 months ago

Can you elaborate on this stuff?

I've upgraded to UM 1.12 and I don't seem to be noticing these nerfed modes.

RussM

Quoted from guitarded:

Got 1.12 loaded up last night.
Love how well everything is coming together.
Hating the Nerf'd Modes.
Gomorrah was great as it was. Making it a gimme mode and removing the features that made it stack so well with the Upper PF Multiball really took away from gameplay.
The reduced qualifier for the Upper PF is also lame. One rip and finished. Terrible.
New Mode (Zetton?) is kind of a hot mess, imo.
Display, User Features, Sound and Light Show are all a huge improvement.

#4329 9 months ago

OK, I asked Matt about this and he said the upper playfield crossover shot was removed from the ending of the Gomora mode because it was interfering with other code. That was actually done a few releases ago, and not in 1.12

He also said no changes have been made to the number of required spinner shots in Jirahs to make it easier. Either it just seems that way, or maybe you are getting double-hits off the spinner up there or something.

Admittedly, this kind of stuff should be changeable with Easy, Medium, Hard settings.

RussM

Quoted from guitarded:

The Gomorrah Mode now has a reduced number of shots and no longer has the required Upper PF shot to complete.
The Upper PF Multiball can now be qualified with a single good left spinner rip. (On Factory Settings)
Someone mentioned that there are difficulty settings that might return the later to the original requirements, but I have not had a chance to enable this and play through it, yet.

#4334 9 months ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Finally updated to latest code. The shaker motor is even stronger after hitting the nebula? drop target on 2nd playfield. It shakes like nothing I've ever experienced. Also, my second game was having issues selecting a Kaiju in quick battle. The start button wouldn't allow me to select the monster. I had to wait for time to expire before starting a battle. I restarted and verified the start button was working properly.

I would adjust the shaker weights to be 90 deg apart for "medium", or even 180 degrees for "light" shaking

With the issue selecting Kaiju, I have sometimes had the start button become unresponsive. Did you try hitting both flippers at the same time instead? This will also select the Kaiju.

RussM

#4337 9 months ago
Quoted from durgee7:

I agree with adjusting the shaker weights. I've been procrastinating because of how difficult it is to remove the cover screws (loctite?).
As for hitting both flipper buttons at same time, I didn't realize that was an option. I was pressing them separately.
Thanks!

I didn't have too much problem getting the shaker cover off, but the set screw that holds the weight on the spindle is definitely locktite-ed. I was afraid I'd break it but I got it off.

RussM

#4339 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

One of the weights was impossible to adjust, there is just too much loctite, you can see the blue goop all over it. Tried so much was starting to strip the screw so just stopped. Thankfully the other weight while also difficult, broke the loctite and was able to adjust.
Even on medium adjustment, to me it's way too rough feeling still.

For that type of screw if you strip the socket or are afraid of doing so, use 2 or 3 jam nuts. That will get it off.

I strongly prefer a cap-nut screw over that damn internal hex - too small.

It's a 10-32

RM

#4347 9 months ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

I highly recommend putting rubber stops on the playfield rails so the playfield doesn't slide off the front of the cabinet when servicing the game with the playfield jacks. Shame on Spooky for not installing $2 stops.

They did put them in Scooby Doo.

RM

#4349 9 months ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Is there a part number for these from Marco or Pinball Life? Any other hardware needed?

I used these, plus some bolts and nylon lock nuts. Not difficult.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBFD3SH/

RM

IMG_0514 (resized).jpgIMG_0514 (resized).jpgIMG_0524 (resized).jpgIMG_0524 (resized).jpgIMG_0525 (resized).jpgIMG_0525 (resized).jpgIMG_0526 (resized).jpgIMG_0526 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4354 9 months ago
Quoted from Threetreys:

So, second owner of CE Ultraman for a couple of months now and this is my story . . . feel free to skip this post as nothing new is gonna be said here. Played Halloween on location last December enough to feel comfortable leaving a rating on Pinside. I told my wife - despite any flaws - it was such a beautiful machine I had to have one some day. I loved how immersive it was and how much love was given to the theme. Skip ahead and an Ultraman became available locally just a couple of miles away and I decided to take a chance on a theme that I only knew by name. I had already resigned myself that it would not be as pretty or as immersive but why not give it a try. Been playing it awhile and decided a couple of weeks ago it was time to dive deeper into the theme so I bought the Ultraman blu ray set. Well, after getting the machine I already knew it was Halloween's equal in looks (if not better) - but until watching the show I did not appreciate all Spooky did for this cult theme. This game definitely came from a place of love and respect. I am not saying you have to know the theme to enjoy the game - but if this theme is your cup of tea then I can't imagine a better game than this. And the show - a cornucopia of amazing practical effects (for the time) and costume design! People said it was campy - It's not! Adam West Batam is campy. Lost in Space is campy. This show knows it's limited budget but does not waste time winking at you - it just shows a hero defending the galaxy against a new monster every week.
Couple of other things I have noticed over the past couple of months - man, there are a lot of updates for this title. Only had it a short time and already updated twice.
So I got my scoop mod and bridge mod installed I was loving it - until I saw the new front main mod with LCD screen from Vintoman - now I have to get that. Be honest - am I in a cult?

Welcome to the club!

Yes, I think it does really help to be familiar with the original Ultraman episodes to fully appreciate the game.

I am of the certain age and persuasion that I was an Ultraman addict (also Johnny Sokko, Space Giants, Speed Racer, Marine Boy) back in the 70s when they aired on USA TV.

Ultraman is an amazing show.

Hoping for more Ultraman code soon.

Can't wait!

RussMyers

#4356 8 months ago
Quoted from DMinusOne:

I'm having an issue with my lower right flipper coil either blowing a fuse or burning up. Would someone mind posting a photo of the wiring for both of the lower flippers?

Ill try to get you this today

RM

#4358 8 months ago

Hi, got a little issue if someone can help ?
My scoop right flasher stay always on. It flashes when i put the ball in the scoop but it stay on all the game. Is it normal with 1.12 code ? Don't think so.
Thanks for help
Have a good day

If you go into Settings and test that flasher, does it work normally?

Off when off and on when on?

RussM

#4361 8 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Has anyone seen this weird bug? The Kaiju select screen got stuck behind the overlay for the rest of my ball. [quoted image]

I have had that class of bug once or twice, where graphics don't clear out properly, but the last time was months ago, and not often, maybe twice.

Haven't seen it recently.

RussM

#4362 8 months ago

Hi all and RussMyers ,
When i go to settings , the light get less lighter when i m on the right scoop flasher. Otherwise with the other it stay full on.
Here are the vidéos of issue , thanks for help.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jGQAU9Ekn475aTK59
Thanks

OK, that is not normal at all.

I suspect a hardware problem, most likely the transistor that drives that light is shorted to ground (on all the time).

Or, there is a short in the wiring or lamp socket, doing the same thing.

Contact Spooky Support and tell them.

RM

#4368 8 months ago
Quoted from m4tt:

The Right Scoop flasher is controlled by GI Bank 1, Number 13.
[quoted image]
To test the transistor (green arrow pointing at it):
Put your multimeter in diode test mode and test one of the other ones to know what it should be:
- black lead on single pole on the left and red on upper should be 650ish and red on lower should be 1670ish.
- Switch it around, red on the left, black on the right, both should do nothing.
Now test 13 and see if it is the same. If not, then that transistor is no good. If it is the same then it must be something else, which will be harder, keep us posted.

Matt, this is a great help, but do you think you can get Spooky to release more documentation on this - what transistors do what, what connectors and wires feed what, etc.

Otherwise we have no idea.

RussMyers

#4370 8 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Didnt they already move on from this board(Scary thought)? I sure hope they put resources into the documentation.

Yes, HWN and UM use the "Pinotaur" board, designed by Ben Heck.

It's the red board on the bottom of the playfield.

There is a miniPC in the head that runs all the code. It runs on a linux-variant, I think Debian, maybe?

There is not a lot of documentation.

Scooby Doo runs on "Warden", which I understand is designed entirely in-house by Spooky, and will probably run all of their games for the next 5 or 6 years, at a guess.

RussM

#4373 8 months ago

OK, here's the wiring on the lower flippers for DMinusOne.

Hope this helps.

RM

IMG_1071 (resized).JPGIMG_1071 (resized).JPGIMG_1072 (resized).JPGIMG_1072 (resized).JPGIMG_1073 (resized).JPGIMG_1073 (resized).JPGIMG_1074 (resized).JPGIMG_1074 (resized).JPGIMG_1075 (resized).JPGIMG_1075 (resized).JPGIMG_1076 (resized).JPGIMG_1076 (resized).JPGIMG_1077 (resized).JPGIMG_1077 (resized).JPGIMG_1078 (resized).JPGIMG_1078 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#4376 8 months ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

Any news on the next update?

"Soon."

RM

2 weeks later
#4377 8 months ago

Well, Spooky just dropped 1.13 code for Halloween.

Hopefully, Ultraman gets that update soon.

RussMyers

#4380 8 months ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

Trying to dial in my upper playfield. For the life of me I can’t get the butt pretzel to shoot clean while holding up my flipper. It alway hits low on the post.
What is everyone’s pitch that has this shot dialed in? Any tips on getting it just right?

My pitch is about 6.8-6.9 degrees

It took some fiddling to get the pretzel shot dialed in, but these pics from another UM owner helped me:

Upper Flipper Alignment 1 (resized).jpgUpper Flipper Alignment 1 (resized).jpgUpper Flipper Alignment 1A (resized).jpgUpper Flipper Alignment 1A (resized).jpgUpper Flipper Alignment 2 (resized).jpgUpper Flipper Alignment 2 (resized).jpgUpper Flipper Alignment 3 (resized).jpgUpper Flipper Alignment 3 (resized).jpg
#4385 7 months ago
Quoted from Chrisinfla:

Does anyone have a simple diagram of the names of things on the Ultraman playfield? I know this is a stupid request, but I'm new to "modern" pinball and some of the instructions are hard to follow (especially when one is trying to save the ball). For example, Orbits vs Ramp vs lanes vs scoops, standup targets vs drop targets, spinners, etc. Thanks.

#4387 7 months ago
Quoted from Hypercoaster:

When they say "go for headquarters" is that Science Patrol, the crossover, or something else?

The Middle Ramp (when the diverter is to the right) is SSSP (Science Patrol) Headquarters.

It sends you to the Upper Playfield which is Headquarters, where the VTOL airship is.

That's why I made the Ultraman Middle Ramp decal look like this:
Ultraman Ramp Right Saturated V2 (resized).pngUltraman Ramp Right Saturated V2 (resized).png

#4389 7 months ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

Come on Spooky, let’s have a code drop for the three day weekend

I was kind of hoping for code.

The latest video of Bug playing ACNC, at the Q&A at the end he said Ultraman was getting new code soon to bring it up to parity with HWN, and then both were getting final Wizard Modes (Ultra Brothers) and after that, additional polish and assets.

Scooby Doo was getting code "in about a week", and Ultraman after that, so maybe another 2 weeks for UM?

All speculation, but based on what Bug said a few days ago.

RussM

#4396 7 months ago
Quoted from BeeZooNours:

Hi,
I'm about to order a lexan sheet to make a shield just like yours.
Are you satisfied so far?
I'm not so sure about the thickness needed. Does 2mm seems enough to you?

Well, .093 inches thickness (what I used) is about 2.3mm so 2mm is probably good.

RussM

#4401 7 months ago

So theoretically, every 23-800 coil is about the same.

It's 23-gauge wire, with 800 wraps of wire on the coil

You can put a meter on it to check if the impedance is the same

You would also need to check if the interior diameter where the plunger travels is exactly the same for obvious reasons

One difference can be if there is a diode across the lugs and the orientation of that diode

If a diode is present or absent on the original, that must be exactly the same for the replacement coil

RM

Hi everybody,
Still on my issue, i have 3 questions :
My coil 23-800 of right slingshot is out , in France no spooky coil available. Can i use Bally williams 23-800 or sega 23-800 ? ?
On my first pinotaur, i need to change the GI13 transistor. Aj tell me i can use the other that is on the card and not used. I look and i see GI8 and GI9 on the same bank are unused. Can i take GI8 or GI9 to replace GI13 ? looks to be the way i think ?
On my other pinotaur, SOL9 has burned. Can i replace SOL9 with SOL10 (or SOL8) that are unused on the game ?
Thanks for your help
HAve a good day playing pinball !!!!

#4412 7 months ago
Quoted from PirateJess:

I Purchased a new in box Ultraman CE that a local distributor had(my first ever new in box game), and right out of box it doesn’t turn on, and the plastic kicker thing that returns the ball to the inlane is broken. There’s also some cosmetic damage to the art blades inside the machine, and some dings on the back of the cabinet as if it got scrapped up when it was being boxed.
Does anyone know if these were common issues with this game? Or did I just get very unlucky.
The distributor recommended I reach out to spooky support so I did, but this is my first spooky game. What kind of support can I expect? Are they good about helping with this kind of thing?

Congrats, Ultraman is an excellent game.

Those are definitely not common issues at all.

The blades and dings on the cabinet should not be there are all.

I am not trying to start trouble, but is it possible whoever sold that to you, it was not actually NIB and had been out and played and put back in?

The game does not turn on:

I assume you mean the game is plugged in and when you flip the power switch nothing happens at all?

Are you sure the power cable is fully seated in the socket on the back?

That being said, Spooky is extremely responsive; their customer service has been excellent.

You need to call into Spooky, Mon-Thursday is their open days, and they are in Wisconsin, so Central Timezone.

Ask for AJ - he is their main support tech.

I have an Ultraman myself, so I am pretty familiar with it.

RussMyers

#4414 7 months ago
Quoted from PirateJess:

Thanks for the congratulations! Even with the issues, I’m pretty excited about this game because I know I will get it working eventually, and it looks like a truly incredible time!
I totally understand the suspicion, but the guy I bought it from is pretty reputable, and we know a lot of mutual people who vouched for him, and he had a number of great reviews here on pinside. I suppose it’s possible, but I would be pretty surprised if he was trying to scam me.
As for the game not turning on, when I flip the power switch I can the speakers turn on and start to buzz, but the screen says “no signal” and none of the lights on the machine light up. I think the computer might be not turning on (initially I thought the power cable may have disconnected during shipping, but it seems to be connected properly)
I’m very relieved to hear that spooky support is good! Even with the initial set backs I’ll be pretty happy if we can get this game working!
Thanks for the quick reply!

Great.

Can you give me a call?

I PMed my cell to you.

RM

#4416 7 months ago
Quoted from PirateJess:

Thank you again for the troubleshooting help! Getting the machine to turn on is a massive relief! You absolutely rock

Thanks, man.

Makes me feel good.

We'll get it 100%.

RM

#4417 7 months ago
Quoted from PirateJess:

Thank you again for the troubleshooting help! Getting the machine to turn on is a massive relief! You absolutely rock

Sideblade Protectors:

https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html?Category_Code=

For the 3D printed Beta Capsule scoop deflector, contact user "Vimtoman"

RM

#4420 7 months ago
Quoted from chewiec:

Hey guys. What is the best way to change the Baltan servos? The one I am needing to replace is the middle Baltan. Thanks!

Flip the playfield up, and cut the zip ties holding the Baltan servo wire bundles together. You will need to free them up.

Put playfield back down. I also put a towel on the playfield.

Take the Baltan rail off, feeding the wire bundle up through from the bottom and lay it on the towel.

You can now access all 3 of the Baltans easily

It's fairly obvious how to take each Baltan off the top of the old servo and replace it

If you are doing them all, do one at a time

IMO, do not put the Baltan figure back onto the new servo until the game boots up the next time and resets them to the Zero position

You run the risk of them rotating into a position where they jam up or something

You could boot the game up for this process either before or after you put the rail back in place and feed the wires back under the playfield

Lastly re-tie the wire bundles back up neatly under the playfield

RM

#4426 7 months ago

Had my best game ever going last night. I was in the mid 50's. Like 54 mil and the left flipper wouldn't return to resting position. Ended up at like 56 mil and even plunged an EB, so I'm sure I could've gotten up there. The flipper return spring came loose. Gotta address that soon.

Wow, that is frustrating but good score.

RM

#4430 7 months ago

Hey, Kids!

Halloween just got a 1.13a code drop and they said we're next!

Can't wait!

RussMyers

#4432 7 months ago
Quoted from PirateJess:

Hey! Thanks for checking! I heard back from y’all the other day and you got me taken care of! Russ helped me trouble shoot the unplugged cables over the weekend, but then y’all got back to me on Monday and hooked me up with replacements for the broken parts! I really appreciate the help!

Hey, Jess, take a look at this thread on servicing the back half of the playfield and adding rubber stops to the service rails.

May help sometime.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultraman-kaiju-rumble-owners/page/77#post-7443458

RM

#4438 7 months ago

Can't wait to get new Ultraman code.

Very excited.

RussM

1 week later
#4451 6 months ago

Hi everybody ,
Have a little issue that i dont understand.
When i play ultraman all is OK since last issue. but today , when the target from thé Middle upper playfield get down , my left flipper score points every time i use it .....
See the vidéo, cant find stuck switch .
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6V77aSFeyYArPXyH7
Thanks for help
Have a good day

While this is happening during a game, what happens if you immediately go into settings, enable flippers, then throw the game into switch test and keep banging on that flipper?

RM

#4453 6 months ago

OK, that is just weird. Obviously something is triggering during gameplay that shouldn't and is racking up points.

When it's happening, can you take off the glass and bang on the playfield with your fist instead of hitting the flipper and does it keep happening?

Trying to see if it's impact or vibration making some switch hit.

Obviously grab the ball so it doesnt drain and end the active ball.

RM

2 weeks later
#4513 6 months ago
pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#4522 6 months ago
Quoted from wastedthelight:

Ran into a video bug today. End ball stats kept showing even though the game continues on playing. At one point I got to the store and could only see the store option while switching between buy selections for an instant, then this screenshot came back after changing the selection each time. You can see the mode selection for stuck under the stats too.
I remember seeing a specific email address to send bugs to Spooky, didn't see it on their site though. [quoted image]

It's Matt Kemp, lead programmer for both UM and HWN

[email protected]

RM

#4527 6 months ago

Playing the UM 1.13 release code today.

A good advancement in code for this game.

The new attract mode is the full TV show intro - YAY!

RussMyers

#4537 6 months ago
Quoted from alexorear:

Was 1.13 pulled from the website? I just went to download it and the website has been updated as a whole and looks good, but the latest code listed for UM is 1.12.

I don't think they pulled it on purpose, I think they copied a snapshot of their website over to the new revamped layout and that did not include the latest changes, eg the UM 1.13 code update.

RM

#4547 6 months ago
Quoted from pinzone:

YAY!!
Ultraman Arrived today.Butt cheeks tightened up when seeing.Got my high intensity flashlight and inspected. Remarkably all clear from damage ,,, by fractions of an inch on both sides. CGC and Stern make it much easier to just remove the game intact from pallet while keeping everything else secure. I found out from Scooby-Doo that you should not cut those 2 tie down straps before it reaches the final destination. I have a steep incline down to basement with grass and pine needles and need the box intact with straps without the pallet!! It was a Monday,, so I suppose the forklift driver was coming off a weekend bender.
[quoted image]

You lucked out there, brother.

I have seen boxes damaged far worse than that with no damage to the pinball machine and boxed that had no damage I could see where the game had moderate to heavy damage.

Happy playing.

RussM

#4566 5 months ago

I'm working on 300 games in just two weeks. I've wiped the playfield down a couple of times, but at what point do I need to wax?

Haven't had that issue. I'm on 1.13 (latest)

Take the glass off and lightly run your fingers over the playfield.

Does it feel slick and smooth or do your fingers kind of "grab" at the surface?

If it feels not-slick, wipe it down with a clean rag *slighty* dampened with 91% isopropyl alcohol, and then wax with a coat of hard carnauba paste wax and buff it with a clean cloth.

Should only need to do this occasionally.

RM

#4569 5 months ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Looks like you have the same issue I’m having with ball save not working properly. Seems like it doesn’t recognize ball save for some reason. Im running on the previous code before this new release. I’m going to update with newest code and see if it’s a code issue!!!

The ball save was definitely fixed in latest code.

RM

#4570 5 months ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Check your Trough Switches, too.
Anything that has to do with Ball Count makes me suspicious of possible Trough issues.
Watched the Code Update Stream last night. Excited for the chance to Update to it, soon.

Remember there is now an actual Ball Trough Test Mode in recent code.

You can cycle the balls through the trough, into the shooter lane and back onto the playfield and see all of the switches active/inactive

Very handy

RM

#4574 5 months ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Yeah I didn’t have the issue until I updated with last code update from what I notice. I’m hoping it’s a code issue and this new one will fix it!!!!. Is that what happens to your issue? Everything works fine with this new code drop?

Pretty much, yes.

There is a multiball bug I am still trying to get a repeatable case of, but yes, upgrade to 1.13

RM

#4575 5 months ago
Quoted from digdug2084:

Anyone have issues with their light strips after updating? I updated mine and the bottom lights stopped moving, locked on random colors. I don't think they were doing that before the update, but honestly at this point I'm not sure I would have noticed it either way.

That's the RGB strip on the edge of the middle (Bemular) playfield?

It is the whole strip or only part of it that never changes colors?

RM

#4577 5 months ago
Quoted from digdug2084:

That's the one. I went back and looked and it appears that 90% of the strip is locked on.

I have had that happen twice because of ball strikes to the LED strip, both times near that front edge/corner

If that is the case, Spooky will send you a new LED strip.

I have a pic of where to route the cable; it's a short tight run but it reaches

I made an edge protector out of lexan and have not had it happen again since (six months or more)

RM

#4579 5 months ago

Has anyone had issues with a Baltan working hit and miss, including in the test servo menu? It's odd because when he doesn't show when he's supposed to, if I barely touch him, it engages. In the photo he's stuck. But I can get him to reset if I tinker enough. [quoted image]

Are you still using the original servos that came with your Ultraman?

Intermittent movement or shuddering may indicate a failing servo.

If it fails, the recommended solution is to replace all 3 with better servos.

Take the glass off and the balls out
Flip the playfield up and find the bundle of servo wires - cut the zip ties so they are free
Place the playfield back down, place a towel on the playfield
Take the Buildings off, they go in a specific order
Detach the wireform and pull it out - take careful note of where the back ends go, that's crucial to getting it to fit back in at the end
Take the Baltans off
Flip the wireform over and clip all or most of the zip ties
Replace all 3 of the servos, one at a time
Zip tie the wires back together just like they were and flip the wireform back upright
Don't put the Baltans back on yet
Turn the game on, it will reset the 3 servos to the Hidden position
Go into servo test and test each servo so you know they are working
Leave them in Hidden position
Turn the game back off
Replace the Baltans (Note - you may have to use the small screws that come with the new servos for this, the old ones may not fit the new servos)
Replace the Buildings
Feed the wires back down
And replace the wire form and bolt down
Flip the playfield back up and re-zip the wires neatly
Done

Get this 3-pack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0874JS7BX/

RussM

#4583 5 months ago

Well that's annoying. I'll pick these up then, thanks!

Remember that's 12.99 for a 3-pack; all you need.

Don't get 3 of them LOL

RM

#4587 5 months ago
Quoted from pinzone:

By chance would these Servos also work in Scooby Doo? I am going to order a 3 pack for Ultra Man, but see Scooby also uses some type of servos. Also it would be great if someone could make these directions into a highlighted key post.

I have both an Ultraman and a Scooby Doo.

UM/HWN uses 2 types of servos:

MG90S servos (small ones) that run the Baltans/Michaels

Feetech FT5320M servos (much bigger) that run the ball lifters and the ramp diverter (I think)

Scooby Doo only uses the bigger Feetech FT5320M servos under the apron kickouts and the Scooby Doo in the Barrel

That's it I think

RM

#4588 5 months ago

For all those haters who complain that "Spooky uses cheap-o servos because they are a terrible pinball company" can take note that I saw some pics of the underside of Labyrinth and they use at least three and possibly 5 or 6 of the exact same servos.

RussM

#4592 5 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I made this ball accelerator mod after dealing with the slow right lane lifter return since I received the machine....what do you guys think? I want to finish up another "bug" with the ball drop...but for the most part it's working....It uses the ball's inertia to speed it through the subway..it requires cutting and replacing the bottom of the subway with a 3d printed accelerator of sorts.
pic of the installation[quoted image][quoted image]

That seems to work well.

I have thought about something like this, but what about a 3D printed wedge-type thing that would just get adhered to the inside head end of the subway, something like the Swamp Accelerator that works so well in Addams Family?

Would be much easier to install.

RussMyers

#4594 5 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

When I looked at what was going on there...I realized that it needed more than just a swamp accelerator fix that TAF had implemented, moving that ball quickly was key...this accelerator not only moves it on the way down, but then quickly turns it to exit the accelerator...the other issue,that I'm still working on, is when the ball drops, it hits the corner of the playfield that seems to jut out into its path . I need to get around that and that should speed things up more...before installing this my ball literally just sat there....I would tilt it trying to get it to move...

Got it. I might be interested, but I'd want to check with Spooky to see if I can get a spare subway for myself before I would cut the one I have.

RM

#4599 5 months ago
Quoted from pinzone:

Has anyone found a way to repair a broken Beta Capsule? Only 42 plays on the game since receiving from Spooky 2 weeks ago.
[quoted image]

Well, you can solder those broken contacts back, kind of a PITA.

Alternatively, if you have a white LED #89 flasher you can dig the old one out of the silicone and replace it.

Spooky support will send you a new one ASAP.

Vimtoman's replacement is very nice, but cost and shipping from the UK

RussM

1 week later
#4615 5 months ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I'm finally in the club. Picked up a UM CE with only 250 plays yesterday. This thing sire is Pretty, I love the art package. I got the comic book when it came out with black glass cover.
Question on the new code. With the in lane subway lifter when did the original sound for that get changed and can it be changed back to that original sound? I'm sure some people got annoyed by it but I thought it was great.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats and hope you enjoy your UM as much as I enjoy mine. Great game.

Have you updated to the latest code? 1.13 as of Nov 2023.

The Subway Lifter light and sound cue haven't changed that I have noticed but sound levels for everything have been played around with a lot.

You can try changing some of the default sound volume levels in the Settings.

You can also turn Flipper Training on/off for the ball lifters (flippers will double-flip by themselves the first time a player has a ball is about to come out of a ball lifter)

And you can turn "shake on ball lifter" on/off which has the shaker motor do a little rumble when a ball is about to come out of a ball lifter

RM

3 weeks later
#4620 4 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm working on it right now. Trying to cram in as many new kaiju into this wizard mode as possible.

YEEEEEESSSSSSS

RM

2 weeks later
#4642 4 months ago
Quoted from Chrisinfla:

I'm halfway through the servo replacements - Anyone else who replaced the Baltan servos with the three-pack from Amazon have issues with the screws holding the servos down and not being tight? - both with the old screws as well as the new ones. Seems the original servos were more secure in place. I was thinking of some type of threadlock. Don't want to reassemble the whole thing and have to redo it.

Hmmm. Assuming you got the Treedix 3 pcs MG90S 9g Servo Motor Micro Metal Gear pack from Amazon, I definitely had to use the new screws that came with them (the original screws were too small) but there is a whole pack of screws in there of different sizes. Try using one of the others?

RM

1 week later
#4654 3 months ago
Quoted from Chrisinfla:

So I ended up buying 2mm hex bolts with nuts ($6.99 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3VMMFPB). Took a bit more work (reading glasses doubled up) but the servos are far more secure.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's a good fix.

RM

1 week later
#4667 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I know your focus is stuffing new content in there, but I hope you can also do some long needed little things like balancing some of the audio. So many Fuji callouts are super quiet and buried under the rest of the audio. Thanks!

Have you emailed this request directly to Matt?

I agree BTW

RM

1 week later
#4692 3 months ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Spotted this alternate topper on fb
[quoted image]

Do you have a link for that?

RM

1 week later
#4727 3 months ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Any instructions or tips for mounting a new plastic over the drops. Mine broke and Spioky sent me a replacement. Looks like I’ll need to remove the first upper playfield to access screws.

You don't need to do that. It's kind of a PITA (I have done it) but you can get to those nylon lock nuts holding the shield on the right side by using very low-profile tools. Have a magnetic wand handy and hemostat or tweezers as well. But it can be done.

RM

#4730 3 months ago

What's the purpose of it? It's certainly not to stop my air balls because they never hit it! Ha

Without that shield the resetting drop targets can launch the ball forcefully upward into the glass.

I played my UM for a bit when my shield was broken off and it became obvious why they added it.

RM

1 week later
#4746 85 days ago

Just ordered my Scooby Doo Topper.

Zoinks!!!

RussMyers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allen Park, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 210.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
273 posts in this topic match your search for posts by russmyers. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russmyers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultraman-kaiju-rumble-owners?tu=russmyers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.