(Topic ID: 301220)

Ultraman Kaiju Rumble Club - Kaiju are near!

By Morinack

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,002 posts
  • 277 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 hours ago by pballinhd
  • Topic is favorited by 112 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MGmotor (resized).JPG
motor (resized).jpg
20240407_143511 (resized).jpg
20240407_143613 (resized).jpg
20240407_143449 (resized).jpg
20240407_143536 (resized).jpg
20240407_143555 (resized).jpg
IMG_8072 (resized).jpeg
ultramancover (resized).jpg
utramanpinplastic (resized).png
20240127_131303 (resized).jpg
20240127_131312 (resized).jpg
UM Topper (resized).png
IMG_4831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7139 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7136 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #218 Detailed update from Luke on 11/29/21 Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #278 New code is live. More code promised. Posted by SpookyBug (2 years ago)

Post #339 SpookyLuke discusses some pros and cons of Pinatar system. Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #1026 Charlie comments Posted by SpookyCharlie (2 years ago)

Post #1112 Rule development planning. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #1548 Links to fixes in Halloween that had not been shared in Ultraman thread Posted by paulbaptiste (2 years ago)

Post #1589 What the future holds for this title. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #1686 Rule summary from rarehero Posted by Rarehero (2 years ago)

Post #1744 Way to thread stripped playfield holes. Posted by Tranquilize (2 years ago)

Post #1865 IPS screen install, 30 minutes. Posted by MT45 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#453 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I also would be in favor for rewarding the player in other ways. Maybe a unique mode.

Is there currently a 2 ball multiball (with its own rules) if we release the trapped ball during gameplay?

Right now, HWN/UM ruleset looks a lot like LOTR: 3 main multiball modes independenty qualified and started (but not stackable), along with 6 additional modes that CAN be stacked in, matching LOTR's movie multiballs and Ring modes. Putting a 2ball multiball with separate rules (maybe more multipliers?) at Meyers in addition to the physical ballsave would be equivalent to Gollum MB and would give the games a solid base ruleset.

Just MHO. I left Pincinnati with a better impression of HWN/UM than I entered, but it still needs work.

2 weeks later
#664 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I timed (on a stream) the time it took for the ball to go down the hole up top and come out the lifter. No difference to the time it takes to go around long ramps on other machines.

I know you want to defend this game, but I think your timer is broken. I played HWN at Pincinnati and the delay between an upper playfield drain and getting the ball back on the flipper is a fair bit more than a trip around even the longest ramp.

I don't understand why Spooky started started programming the software for these games without staging. Games have had ball-staging since at least ST:TNG, that was 28 years ago. No Fear has it, Who Dunnit has it, even the Spooky game immediately preceding these two had it.

There's lots of subway entrances on these and it sucks standing around waiting for the ball to get back to the flippers. Please don't defend bad design. Spooky says staging is coming, how about sooner rather than later?

1 week later
#907 2 years ago

Another cause of airballs is non-waxed playfields. The ball should slide more than roll when flipped... if it gets a good forward roll, it'll want to "climb" posts and targets when it hits them due to the rotation. Make sure the playfield is waxed and slick.

1 week later
#1009 2 years ago

No Fear and Who Dunnit handle it that way: if the VUK is empty, the first ball to enter it is kept there and another ball plunged into play. Staged ball remains in the VUK from there on out unless needed for multiball, or removed manually.

#1046 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We’re going in circles here - but many of us thought the team behind it was different.

We didn't "think" anything, we were TOLD in no uncertain terms that Bowen was going to be working on Halloween and UM.

#1048 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

And you were wrong.

No, he's right. We were told certain people would be working on these games, and that turned out not to be true.

#1053 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Do you KNOW that neither of these people were ever NOT consulted on Rulesets? Because, that is not in evidence

Bowen said they have not implemented anything he suggested.

I bought into HWN 100% because of Bowen and Eric's alleged involvement. After R&M, I was absolutely wanting more of their creativity. Over the last 5-6 years, I've found there are certain rule and game designers I really enjoy (Lyman, Keefer, Elwin), and that games from others just don't engage me the same way. I added Bowen and Eric to the 'want' list after R&M.

Consulting, employed... terminology doesn't matter when they're actually KICKED TO THE CURB

#1059 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Evidence he was Consulted.

He was not:

Quoted from bkerins:

Second, I no longer work with Spooky Pinball. The first time I saw the layout, the art, and the rules for Halloween and Ultraman was the first time you saw it, publicly. After it was revealed, I gave Spooky some advice on what they could or should do with these games, based on video. I have not played either game at all, and I have not seen my suggestions implemented.

What they do with my advice is entirely their decision. I am not involved in any way. That is not what I would have preferred, but that is what they chose.

Quoted from guitarded:

Sorry. You are trying to take someone else to task for thoughts and hopes you had, not for actions / statements they made.

This is 100% about statements they made, please see the screenshot posted.

#1063 2 years ago

I don't consider someone to be "consulted" on a game if you toss their advice and don't use it.

#1086 2 years ago
Quoted from deosil:

More importantly - this is all old news! Trying to get out of your deposit **months** after we all knew about the Bowen piece and use that as an excuse (at a time which also happens to conveniently line up with you not being able to get what you paid in the current market) makes your appeal ring all the more hollow.

Whatever dude. We waited because we were told Bug and Fawzma were aiming to make these games every bit as good as R&M. However, people aren't seeing that kind of progress, hence the griping and continuous sales of both games and spots for losses.

My game (HWN) is about ready to go, but I don't think I've ever been less excited to get a new pinball machine. From what I've seen and played, neither title is very compelling or creative. They're not *bad*, but not exciting either. Basically, exactly what I feared when I read Bowen was out. Can't really do much except hope it gets better, or bail and sell.

#1103 2 years ago

I don't want a refund. I don't want to pick on Spooky either. HWN and UM aren't bad games, they're just not (yet) the kickass games I was expecting with Eric/Bowen involvement.

It's as if I ordered a Godzilla from Stern, but inside the box was a Turtles instead. Yeah, it's nice, but not what I was expecting and not what I wanted. That's about the best way I can describe my disappointment. I still hold out hope that there is something really cool coming down the line, but the longer we wait, and the more issues that crop up, the fainter that hope becomes.

#1156 2 years ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

The mode in the second playfield would be Bemular where you will have to hit the red shots to advance. You can’t be in Jirahs and Bemular at the same time but you can have a Kaiju battle going with them.

Hoping they get a good rules chart or document soon as it will help clarify a lot.

Use the Halloween chart, and sub Bemular for Sanitarium and Jirah for House.

1 week later
#1212 2 years ago

Every game I've ever bought new has needed tweaking. Some Sterns have been far worse than turbo's UM. Turbo just wants to whine about his financial loss (which was 100% self inflicted - wait til the game is done before dumping it next time). Here's a tip: the owner's thread is not the place for former owners to whine about their own mistakes.

#1238 2 years ago

If I complete Jirahs while I’m in a battle, the scoop will light blue as I continue the normal battle. But, if I ever shoot into it, the ball will sit until ball search is activated. I always go for Jirahs so I had this happen multiple times in the five or so games I played tonight. Not sure if it’s a known bug or just my luck.

It's a known bug in HWN so likely the same issue here. Once you get the stalker/dada mode going it should resolve itself.

2 weeks later
#1352 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I got Jirahs energy bar all the way down...but I had no idea how to defeat him. The LCD still said to hit the spinner...although maybe that's what I had to do?

I think that battle mirrors HWN house MB: knock the drop target down on the top PF and shoot the crossover ramp to defeat Micheal Jirah.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Sometimes one of Pigmon's eye inserts turns yellow and pulses. Why? I'm sure this means something...but what?

Think they light up as you play pumpkin beta capsule modes. maybe they pulse (or not) to indicate success/failure

Quoted from Rarehero:

seems to consistently get stuck on something but I can't figure out what.

might be the right side lockbar latch.

#1362 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People would buy LOTR & TSPP for the depth, but still insult them & had to feign shame for owning one.

Mmmm I don't recall this at all. People were certainly still crapping on Whitestar as opposed to WPC (flippers and sound were inferior) and also Stern's newsprint-quality cabinet art, but even back then folks recognized TSPP and LOTR as great games. They were happy Stern was finally making something worth buying (Monopoly was a good start but ehhh).

#1367 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well there, you just nailed it. B/W fans would buy and enjoy them - but they couldn’t stop talking about the sound, art printing quality, the flippers are too loud, they’re clunky…

Exactly. And all that complaining got us SAM, which fixed the sound and helped the flippers. Cab art still sucked for years after but complaints eventually got that fixed as well. Not sure what "feign shame" means but the complaints were basically "this is good but can be better" not "I'm embarrassed for owning this." Maybe CA had a weirder vibe but we in midwest pinball central were very happy to get our hands on LOTR/TSPP.

#1368 2 years ago

Weird bug, my son is playing and the multiball just keeps going and ejecting new balls whenever he drains. Not sure how he got into this but it’s been like a 10 minute multiball with a whoooooole lot of drains.

HS2 Getaway had the underrun bug causing the ballsave to roll back to 255sec. Wonder if this has a 16-bit underrun, 18 hours of ballsave!

4 weeks later
#1574 2 years ago

Not sure if the rules are different in Ultraman, but there are three scoop modes that use the drops in Halloween. One starts with them up and you have to knock them down to start progression to other shots, the other two involve hitting certain drops and not others. Plus they are used to qualify modes and optionally for the skillshot. Not exactly useless.

1 month later
#1798 2 years ago
Quoted from hayrebear:

Got it. This may explain it. I tend to short plunge on this one and try to get the targets down before the ball save timer goes off. I haven't tried that shot on a plunge in a long time

One thing to be aware of, short plunging will cancel the skillshot. Ball has to go around for skillshot to stay active (this includes the JM lock).

1 month later
#2181 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

The game is fantastic but it’s not for novice or intermediate players much like ACNC.

It's not for advanced players either because the code is still very unremarkable. Plays like an average 90s game, and I was expecting better than that after Rick and Morty.

#2183 1 year ago

I posted a 127M game in the HWN thread. Finished every pumpkin mode and was 2 SJP from the new wiz mode. My Sanitarium playfield plays very difficult and I got tired of trying to restart that MB over and over.

You can combine exactly two things in this game: a scoop mode and a main mode. That doesn't cut it (hah) these days.

TBH I haven't touched HWN since my GZ Pro showed up. The difference in code between the two games is astronomical.

#2236 1 year ago

TOTAN still has shit code but its a pretty game to look at.

#2238 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Compared to games like Tron, Doctor Who, and Iron Man, the base code on this machine is nothing short of loaded right now. It has a ton of regular modes, stackable Multiballs, plus a mini wizard and wizard mode.

Whoah, wait, which multiballs are stackable? In Halloween, there is no way to combine main modes, let alone their respective multiballs, and the Jack-o-Lantern multiball also runs completely independently. Are UM's main modes stackable?

I don't consider freeing the rightmost captive ball to be "multiball" as there's no rules involved, it's just an extra ball on the playfield, and anyway the last time I did that it locked me out of starting pumpkin modes til the extra ball drained.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Do you have any suggestions for mode types or ideas on rule improvements specifically to make?

The games need more features.

Look at GZ... it has 4+3 kaiju battles, 4 multiballs and maser cannon mystery, somewhat comparable to HWN/UM 8 scoop modes, 3 multiballs and blood store. BUT: GZ also has the jet fighter attack mode, the magnagrab + imposters, saucer attacks, secret+city combos, monster rampage mode, powerline attack+tesla strike mode, loop awards, tailwhips, destruction jackpots, the 3 allies and their benefits, godzilla powerups, rage combo feature, hedorah mode, the heat ray feature, super spinner...

I'm not saying Spooky needs to even come close to matching all of this, but they need to add at least a couple more features to UM/HWN to add some variety to gameplay.

#2260 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Very few instructional callouts. Menu system is beyond a home brew. Side drop barely coded. Timers running during stop and go. Mode difficulty not gauged correctly. Upper pf integration lacks cohesion. Sound balance is out the window. Still occasional game stopping bugs

Yeah I wasn't expecting them to switch from p-roc to yet another homemade board and basically have to rewrite the entire OS and menu system.. again. My three spooky games are each on completely different boardsets and software platforms (pinheck, p-roc and pinotaur), which kinda sucks for troubleshooting and longevity. We're what, 8 months in to HWN/UM deliveries and still lack basic menu functionality due to the reset.

Agree on messy sound, my glass rattles when Loomis soundalike speaks, they still haven't run the callouts through a high-pass filter like folks have asked. No option to adjust callout/music levels. Spooky ships with some of the best audio hardware in the business, but the software so far is a let-down.

Things like the powdercoat rubbing off and lamps getting hit from underneath were problems on Rob Zombie, why are they once again problems on HWN? Does Spooky not take notes and make corrections?

Too many steps back and not enough forward so far. I don't want to sell HWN as there are definitely aspects of it I do like. Hoping Spooky can eventually get everything resolved. I really want them to succeed, and will probably hold onto the game til they say it's finished.

Edit, was a switch on RZ, but same problem...

#2300 1 year ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Halloween modes getting some love,

Please do something to expand and build out the droptarget 2-ball feature. Having something here to bring into main and scoop modes would go a long way towards giving this game some variety. Imagine if R&M only had adventures, gromflomite and the mystery, but no meeseeks/mania or dimensions... that's where I feel HWN is today. Need at least one other feature available at all times IMHO.

Apologies for talking HWN in UM thread, but they're similar enough to both benefit from more features.

1 week later
#2396 1 year ago

just don't let the arrow move to unavailable modes?

#2400 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

n fact my mystery scoop is really hittable, and very easy from a backhand.

I remember posting something like this right after getting my game. Then I learned it works great til the backstop bends back, then nothing goes in the hole. You have to keep bending the deflector back down every couple dozen games

#2409 1 year ago

There's an ad for a NIB UMCE for $6700 just below your post... methinks you'll be keeping it for now.

Couple months will be the one year anniversary of HWN/UM release... it'd be nice to have stable code by then.

1 week later
#2513 1 year ago

So when is Halloween day? And don't say Oct 31, that's too far out for a code update...

#2556 1 year ago

The audio input cable to the amp has likely pulled out a bit and you're hearing a nasty ground loop. Make sure the input cable is pushed in all the way.

4 weeks later
#2822 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

But…your profile pic is a JP? Haha

The 1993 DE model, not Elwin's.

2 months later
#3177 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

I live in Dayton, Ohio. Supposedly nationally ranked for high homicide rate, low incomes, poor health outcomes, limited night life, and persistent population loss.

According to your profile, you live in Xenia, which is much nicer than most of the city of Dayton. Apples/oranges. Yes, the suburbs of Ohio are pretty nice.

3 months later
#3810 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I drained to one ball during Baltan MB, hit the scoop to restart. At some point during the MB, the scoop lit for Mode Start. When I hit the scoop, the flippers died to allow me to pick my mode...when the mode started, Multiball was just gone.

Quoted from lpeters82:

The other issues seem like they could potentially be related to the ball trough.

His glitch sounds similar to the one I had on 1.09 where I had the Judith ball on the playfield (2 balls in play) but the mode start was enabled and killed the flippers when one ball went into the scoop.

One thing I remember about my glitch was that the game released Judith early, right after loading the 2nd ball into the shooterlane. I figured the eject vibration just knocked the droptarget down and started the 2-ball early, but now I'm wondering if the eject knocked the remaining balls up the trough just enough to trigger the 7th switch, causing the game to 'drain' one ball immediately and releasing Judith (and reverting to single ball play) before it could even launch the 2nd ball?

3 months later
#4198 10 months ago

Yes these amps are inexpensive and are prone to developing cracked solder joints on the terminals and jacks.

Regarding the hiss, I was able to eliminate all background noise on my HWN by running a new 3.5mm male/male cable from the display to the amp, but outside of the wiring harness. I think the existing cable is picking up noise from inside the harness.

#4208 10 months ago

They fixed the mac issues with updating.. why can't you do it yourself?

9 months later
#4937 27 days ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I don't wanna rock the boat too hard here, but all you guys claiming that spooky has such great service, don't you think it's odd that they are not sending out a fix for their terribly designed scoop? If I designed a machine where a large number of my customers had to redesign a part, I'd be fixing that shit and making it right. Just sayin.

This is one thing about Spooky, AFAIK they've never ever released any service bulletins for any of their games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allen Park, MI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Arabi, LA
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grand Haven, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultraman-kaiju-rumble-owners?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.