(Topic ID: 301220)

Ultraman Kaiju Rumble Club - Kaiju are near!

By Morinack

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,002 posts
  • 277 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by pballinhd
  • Topic is favorited by 112 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MGmotor (resized).JPG
motor (resized).jpg
20240407_143511 (resized).jpg
20240407_143613 (resized).jpg
20240407_143449 (resized).jpg
20240407_143536 (resized).jpg
20240407_143555 (resized).jpg
IMG_8072 (resized).jpeg
ultramancover (resized).jpg
utramanpinplastic (resized).png
20240127_131303 (resized).jpg
20240127_131312 (resized).jpg
UM Topper (resized).png
IMG_4831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7139 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7136 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #218 Detailed update from Luke on 11/29/21 Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #278 New code is live. More code promised. Posted by SpookyBug (2 years ago)

Post #339 SpookyLuke discusses some pros and cons of Pinatar system. Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #1026 Charlie comments Posted by SpookyCharlie (2 years ago)

Post #1112 Rule development planning. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #1548 Links to fixes in Halloween that had not been shared in Ultraman thread Posted by paulbaptiste (2 years ago)

Post #1589 What the future holds for this title. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #1686 Rule summary from rarehero Posted by Rarehero (2 years ago)

Post #1744 Way to thread stripped playfield holes. Posted by Tranquilize (2 years ago)

Post #1865 IPS screen install, 30 minutes. Posted by MT45 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertT1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#130 2 years ago

Code can’t fix a bad layout, but that’s not what we are facing. We are facing is needing to let Spooky do their thing and that takes time. Too bad we don’t have any time, oh wait, the run won’t be complete for ever a year. Guess there is time.

I watched the H rules video Bug did and I really like what I saw. Really looking forward to Spooky being able to use the year they have to keep adding and refining things. I get to wait, but will enjoy reading the updates as they come. #406

1 month later
#1014 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Experienced layout designers of the past were also abandoned, which was discovered after making our deposits.

Who is this referring to?

Quoted from Thunderbird:

Gone too, the main programmer from the past that got Spooky to this point.

Quoted from Thunderbird:

Confidence in a completely new team trying to code 2 machines…

Spooky has lost 2 team members that we know of. Who are all these others?

#1019 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Scott Danesi, Eric Priepke, Bowen Kerins, David Van Es.

Scott and Eric were both contract employees. Scott works for Pinball Life for his real job and Eric was doing R&M after his day job too. I wouldn’t say either are lost, and they could be on any future titles they feel like, as I’m sure Spooky would contract with them again without a doubt.

1 week later
#1224 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hard to believe people are so thin skinned. It's possible that turbo2nr didn't have the patience for tweaking a game that he didn't seen any promise of liking. If people can gush about a game, they should be able to criticize a game without being exiled! Especially if the post is coming from someone with actual experience, not to mention financial loss. He's not a troll and he's only posted twice to this thread...give the dude a break.

Plenty of personality on display in the owner number thread.

1 week later
#1273 2 years ago

Happened to see this for sale and got one. No real reason, didn’t even know it was a thing.

90DF2B1B-85B6-42D4-A8AF-9E67929BA68A (resized).jpeg90DF2B1B-85B6-42D4-A8AF-9E67929BA68A (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#1399 2 years ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

Ultraman has arrived! It’s time to fight some Kaiju.
[quoted image][quoted image]

You dry your hockey gear away from the pins (and family) right?

1 month later
#1664 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Here's what 120 games looks like. All should be heading out to new owners by the end of next week.
[quoted image]

That’s quite an impressive sight, and really good that you have the space to queue up a ton of games while (presumably) waiting for a mystery widget.

Are you able to say what you were waiting for to be able to button up the games and box them? Some of the supply chain hiccups I have seen are almost amusing. I had to change a drawing recently at work because we couldn’t get a certain type of marking ink so had to get an alternative sourced and approved so we didn’t have a line stop. The fab guys were freaking out, but I found it interesting and mildly amusing.

#1681 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

You know, thinking about it more, a wiring pinout for the pinotaur is not too complicated. Let me check with the lead tech; if he doesn't have one made up already, I'll make one and throw it on our website next week. Won't ship with the games, but at least it'll always be available online.
Just don't let spooky luke know I'm doing this instead of programming the next game, which is *totally* not a courage the cowardly dog/powerpuff girls dual theme
:p
Cheers!

Stern doesn’t do a wiring diagram type of schematic on new games. Instead they have a table for switches, coils, lights, and then what board/connector they go to. Probably lists the driver for each as needed, but I don’t have that in front of me. Manuals are online and might be a good starting point reference.

#1696 2 years ago

There are zero games listed there.

0C56E8C5-1EAC-4319-A1A6-E867C4B36810 (resized).jpeg0C56E8C5-1EAC-4319-A1A6-E867C4B36810 (resized).jpeg
#1705 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Which game do you want schematics for? I'm assuming it will be Spike....

Spooky has not put out any electrical information for R&M and there is also none for UM/H. I was showing how they don’t need a schematic drawing, and gave an example that could be done in a spreadsheet instead of an engineering drawing. At least for the switches/coils/lights/wiring. The board itself might be a different task.

That’s a whole different level because I suspect it stems back to the Pinheck board build files being available online. Homepin took them and cloned the board and used it in Thunderbirds. The schematic for the new board can be available while being legally protected (against Homepin part 2).

3 weeks later
#1905 1 year ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Lock bar. Coin box.
*crying*

There are lock bars that use the coin door carriage bolts instead of needing to drill into the cab. Any op that is drilling into a modern cab for lock bars is doing it wrong for sure.

2 weeks later
#2065 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

There will be a long hiatus after the 350s. Once all the CEs are produced, BSEs will be on hold while they finish up Halloween CEs.

I might have to do a little research into the CE numbers for H when this happens. I’m a BSE UM, so will be in for a wait, which is fine. GZ premium expected in august, so will give me time to reload the war chest a little before UM time.

#2114 1 year ago

This is the breakdown the date estimate spreadsheet has. Seems oddly specific with numbers ending in either 0 or 5, but are probably estimates as the spreadsheet was made long before the owner list threads were very well populated. If you want exact numbers you’d have to go to those threads and see where the CE ends and BSE starts and do the same for standards.

E2647226-6F0F-4672-A3F4-C5B1A45E2BAE (resized).jpegE2647226-6F0F-4672-A3F4-C5B1A45E2BAE (resized).jpeg
#2116 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

So, since I ordered a BSE UM I can expect to wait until ALL the HW and UM CEs are made? If I understood that right then we won't see any BSEs till at LEAST next year.

That is my understanding. My UM BSE spot moved into 2023 early on in 2022, again all according to the estimates based on delivery dates of games. I’m fine with that. Have to pay for a GZ premium soon and don’t mind a little recovery time til UM.

#2161 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Geez. Can people give it a rest? Two (2) sound cues and a flasher go off. After one ball or at most one game you should realize the ball returns from the inlanes. Spooky should NOT change this. It is what makes the game unique. Go buy a Stern. Every ramp will return neatly to your flipper with no risk or excitement.

Did the scoop flasher get removed from the sequence when it comes from the upper playfield? That’s the only thing that people might find confusing after you explain it will always come out at the flipper. We are conditioned that a scoop can kick a ball out, and a flashing light above a scoop means it’s coming. If it’s still in there, take it out and use the light only for when you need to hit it.

#2195 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

4 months ago...

Today...

So what will happen to all of these deferred and unsold spots when it gets near the end of the CE run *and* there are no secondary buyers to take over those spots? Will all of those people just forfeit their deposit $ to Spooky? Will those machines even be built?

I’d guess that all games will be made if they have the parts for them. Why sit on a bunch of unmade or empty cabs when you can make them, box them, and hold them or get them to distributors. If it was 50 games (UM and H combined) or less that end up like this I think that would be fine.

2 weeks later
#2436 1 year ago
Quoted from stf_dnx:

Any tips to get less stmd rejects from the middle ramp?

There is there is a post somewhere in the pinned posts showing how to confirm your diverter for that ramp is aligned correctly. I’d start with that and compare yours with the desired alignment.

1 week later
#2531 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

I was very surprised to get an email from our distributer today regarding our BSE UM. Apparently Spooky is finishing up the last few CE builds and will be moving on to BSE this month. The most recent UM I have seen mentioned here in the forum was 258, have they managed to make 165 more games in the last month? I ask because we are number 423, so I was surprised they had jumped that far. I thought I was being hopeful to get it early in 2023.
Hopefully not just an error I want to see UM next to R&M in my living room

I would rather Spooky confirm this. Their original goal was to have all games made by the end of 2022 and that was before a few production delays that was out of their control. Now a distro is saying they are almost done with the largest % model and moving the BSE with 5 months left in the year. I’m not so sure about that.

#2533 1 year ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

Sounds too soon to me, too. kingau received UM #291 two weeks ago, which is the highest number I’ve seen and leaves >100 CEs left to build. I’m #304 and have not yet received notice that mine is on the line.

What’s the ratio? 2.5 H built per 1 UM? So with 100ish UM left there is still 350ish total CEs to build. Anyone remember the latest number of games they are able to make a week? 15? 20? 30? Even at 30 a week that’s 12 weeks. Lots of fuzzy math, but just showing my thought process on the timing.

#2538 1 year ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Spooky made a comment that they expect the games to be done by fall, over in the Halloween thread. Top of page 141.

Thanks for pointing to the post. That’s quite the turnaround. Good for them.

#2640 1 year ago

Hey SpookyBug i have a pinball recording tip and trick. On your mic, put a piece of soft open cell foam under your mic. It will cut down a little on the clickity clacks of the game, but still pick up you and the game audio just fine. This piece is 8” square and about 1” thick, but was super easy to poke a hole in the center and sandwich between the stand and mic.

B99E7A8B-99E0-4D52-9E3A-21801963701D (resized).jpegB99E7A8B-99E0-4D52-9E3A-21801963701D (resized).jpeg
#2680 1 year ago

Where does the Jirahs battle music come from? It doesn’t feel proper and I watched the battle scene on YT. It’s mostly spurts of marching band drums. The full orchestra score seems odd to me.

#2688 1 year ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

What do you think of this?
With the removal of the Fight Jirahs timer, would Spooky consider adding:
Adjustable rate of Ultraman's Health Decline:
Easy (slow)
Moderate (medium)
Hard (fast)
Extra Hard/Hardcore - 3 minute health decline (exactly like Ultraman's Color Timer in the show) AND no adding health bars back using the light blue targets, 3 minutes is what you get.
I am a HUGE Ultraman nerd. This would be a fun way to go.
RussMyers
PS - I would also REALLY like a Mephilas Kaiju Mode - my favorite Ultraman villain

I think they said UM’s health lowers by 3% per second. If they did an easy setting that was 2% per second and a hard setting that was 4% per second that would seem like a pretty good spread of options.

2 weeks later
#2806 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Noticed my Plunger is a bit lacking lately..
Anyone have recommendation for proper color of spring. Going to rebuild it have a few colors in my parts bin.

Pull it back and touch the metal. If it’s got a little tacky feel to it you can clean it off with IPA and replace the sleeve if you want to. I doubt your spring is getting weaker, likely just more resistance between the rod and sleeve.

1 week later
#2843 1 year ago

Got my email for BSE 406 today.

2 weeks later
#2916 1 year ago

This was posted by somebody as an option for a cover. It’s a lot more than a single game needs, but it’s also not crazy expensive either.

Muzata 33FT/10M Continuous Milky White LED Cover Lens Frosted Tape Light Seamless Plastic for U1SW U Shape Aluminum Led Channel LC03 WW (ONLY Cover No Aluminum LED Channel Included) https://a.co/d/cQrjz69

#2928 1 year ago
Quoted from Hypercoaster:

Any Bloodsucker Edition people get requests for payment? Heard there are HW and UM Bloodsuckers being built now!

BSE 406. Paid almost 2 weeks ago so I’d guess mine is in the works pretty soon if not already.

1 week later
#2951 1 year ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

No sorry, UM 404 non-butter

I’m 406 so maybe I’ll get that same email this week.

1 week later
#2990 1 year ago

Overseas games getting made this week? 403 or 404 went out recently and I’m 406 and paid up almost a month ago. Looking forward to the call.

1 week later
#3025 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

BSE 405 arrived Monday.

BSE 406. Paid 8/23 but no info since then.

1 week later
#3070 1 year ago

UM 406 paid for a few weeks ago and it shipped out today.

#3102 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Doesn't it have the game number in the code somewhere?

That would just be the code version. That shows quickly when the game is first powered up.

#3103 1 year ago

406 arrived today. Box looks good but won’t be able to set it up until after hockey tonight.

#3104 1 year ago

Got everything opened and set up nicely. With everyone sleeping it’s a little hard to have fun, but I did do a power up and I get this screen after it does the spooky-o-vision (close?) screen. Is this a loose cable that is causing this screen to stick on the display?

119B8370-A04E-4953-8B3A-252F2EB33E8C (resized).jpeg119B8370-A04E-4953-8B3A-252F2EB33E8C (resized).jpeg
#3106 1 year ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Mine arrived DOA like this. Spooky had me re-image the drive from scratch twice and I was booting after that.
This is the that Spooky sent: https://www.spookypinball.com/game-support/
Scroll down to the UM “restore instructions” link.

Thanks, I will check it out.

1 week later
#3165 1 year ago

I have less than 50 plays so far and am picking up on things a little more each time I play. When I finish the shots of a mode it seems that there is a final shot to finish the mode but the few times I’ve been in that situation with nothing else running I don’t remember an audio indicator or anything in the display saying so. When there is a pre-multiball mode going on as well that seems to dominate the display so I don’t ever really know the status of the normal mode if one is in progress.

When you do in fact finish a mode I don’t feel like there is much “you did it” fanfare. I don’t need the pat on the back, but it would be nice to have that information that I’m done and can go onto the next thing, whatever that may be. If there is that indicator in there already, it isn’t something I have picked up on yet, so might need to be a little more amped up.
Been really enjoying the game so far. Starting to find the shots on the first attempt way more than when I first got the game. Working through the harder modes is enjoyable as long as the Jirahs pre-multiball going as well as that dominates the display.

1 week later
#3228 1 year ago

lpeters82 would you consider another run at the rule sheet on tilt forums? A few things have changed considerably, but I think you did a good job with the first version.

I got to Pigmon for the first time tonight and it was after completing 2 modes and failing one. I thought it was only available after completing 3 modes. Either way, it was fun and a nice reward for a few completions.

Do the inserts in the Pigmon art on the playfield mean anything? I haven’t figured that out yet.

Can Pestar’s first shot start on the left orbit instead of the right? It’s feeding to the right so the beginning of the mode seems broken up by shooting the left ramp and then an actual shot for the mode. The fact that the shots move and alternate sides after a completion seems “hard” enough.

I’d be down for saving progress on the modes/multiballs as well, hopefully that will become a thing.

What are the two purple balls/balloons for on the Pigmon mode in the selection menu? I thought there were 2 modes for it but after I finished it just passed over it as if it was totally complete.

Really liking this game. I test streamed it tonight and the first 60 of 90 minutes was good enough but I started dropping frames like crazy at some point and Twitch cut me off. I’ll try to figure out what happened and give it another go.

#3254 1 year ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

I just didnt get that far in my explanation LOL.
Isn't it 4 or 5 times, not 3? Hayata in boat, then Fuji, then Ito with his hurt foot hopping, then Cap, then what?
We REALLY need to crowd-source a complete Rule Set for this game, with pics, like on a Wiki; maybe Pinwiki?
RussM

Boat
Pipe smoker
HQ chica
Step on a nail
Lock

This is what I remember from trying to practice that shot recently. I don’t know anyone’s name yet. But I’m bad with names anyway. Faces and voices are what I remember easily.

2 weeks later
#3302 1 year ago

How do you light extra ball normally? The scoop was blinking green and gave me a WTF moment. Collected it and was happy, but have no idea how it came up in the first place.

Also, is there any idea if mode and multiball progress memory in the plan? Would be really nice if you didn’t have to start from scratch on everything but Baltan for modes and multiballs.

Also, part 2. Poor Pigmon. I haven’t watched the episode yet but I can’t help but laughing every (rare) time I get to start his mode. It’s funny, but sad, I think.

#3307 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’ve had this thought when playing certain modes with green shots - but the lock shots are lit & also green. Visually, that’s sending the player a confusing message when green shots simultaneously mean different things. It’s probably worth going thru all the modes & chnging green to something else across the board (except for locks)

When you are in a mode and then start a multiball pre-mode (anyone have a good name for this?) I am often very confused. The display is taken over by the multiball instructions which I guess is good for the health bars to be there, but I have no idea what I’m doing in the mode at that point.

Ragon mode shots are pink (they call it purple, but I’m not buying that) so maybe keep the mode shots pink. There are some modes that want you to hit other shots, but not others (no idea what the penalty is, so text for that info would be nice in an update) and currently there is a mixture of red and green. I get that from a real world perspective, but green is “lock” in pinball.

I’ve seen red and orange used for playfield multiplier and yellow, I think, on Walking dead for the inlane shot multiplier. I don’t think we need to be 100% sticking to normal colors, but a little more consistency would be less confusing.

Spacium, the right side drop target lock progress, and the center drop target playfield multiplier all being blue are a little confusing, but I like that the drop target changes to green when your lock is ready.

#3310 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

On the list!

On the list!
I totally agree with all the above … locks should be green. Other things different colours.
One mode I played like everything was green. Much confuse!
Just a few little changes like these is going to make a big difference IMO.
rd

Right on Rotordave! It’s really not that far off from where I think they might be going as far as gameplay. Glad to hear feedback is being taken.

1 week later
#3406 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Some things I’d like to see in the next update are
- monster battling progression save
- better use of the middle playfield when head to headquarters is running
- head to headquarters sometimes clashes with a battle mode so that interaction needs improving
- more std use of rgb colours for features like eb orange, lock green, jackpot red and only using green for locks etc as others have said
- bottom drop target deeper/extra rules needed
- hold start button to restart game needed
- number of replay/extra ball levels setting needed
- ball save adjustment time needed
- display in attract of current replay/eb levels needed

This is a very, very good list. Just please don’t take away my HQ credit from dropping in from the upper playfield. I do that on purpose quite often.

#3408 1 year ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Good list of what seem like realistic improvements. Coming from Rick and Morty, I was shocked at how bare-bones the settings menus are... I figured the basic programming framework (stuff like adjustable ball saves + EB limits) would transfer from game to game but I guess not.

To me, this seems like the biggest issue of moving from boardset to boardset. The format for the programming might be different at least at some point, and you have to start all over.

As a (distracted) homebrewer, I’m using FAST boards and MPF as the “code”. If I move to another board MPF might not be an option (but it might be because Jan at MPF is great) and so any stuff that is common game to game (basic menus, ball save, all examples of how to do stuff in modes and with mechs that you already figured out once) all of that is scrapped and slows you down when you create it all over again.

Hopefully with this current board, Spooky is using a code format that they have already used and have a library of examples to draw from.

My biggest concern for Spooky is that their manufacturing capability/pace is going to outpace their game development pace. When that spreadsheet for ETA of delivery of H/UM was posted I saw my delivery date get pushed back as far as March 2023. Then word came out that they expected to have the run done in late fall. That pushed things up 6 months. They went from 15 to 25 to 40 games a week. 40 games a week is a run of 2000 games for a title in a year. At that pace dev time doesn’t have a whole lot of room for delays. I’m not saying Spooky is in trouble, just that it is a balance and I’d rather have a little bit of a queue for games ready to go than the line working faster than the design teams can reasonably get a game to the line.

#3419 1 year ago

I'm not sure Gomora should use the center ramp. You start the mode, shoot the drops down, and then it says get to HQ, but what it then wants you to do is hit the drop and then the crossover ramp. First, that's not what I would categorize as "easy". Next, anything that involves the center ramp adds to Jirahs progress and if you start that and are at the spinner stage, the drop target won't stay down even if it isn't red. I just did it and it was purple and kept resetting with every hit. Wasn't hurting me, but also was locking out of Gamora progress.

I'd suggest using the left ramp for Gomora. Drops>left ramp>standups around left ramp>left ramp>done. That's 7 switches/shots total and Ragon is 5 lit shots and you only need to hit 4.

1 week later
#3453 1 year ago

I have an idea on another way to use the far right drop/standup shot. Use it as an add-a-ball in multiball. One hit traps a ball, game kicks out another into the multiball. Hit the drop and the ball is released into the multiball and a ball save kicks on.

#3461 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

Was playing our UM BSE tonight and noticed there was no light coming from the edge of the middle playfield. As you can see below, the lights are off after the first few.
Is there a fix for this? Or, am I gonna have to replace that light strip. Has anyone put plastic/rubber diffusers on these strips? Not because of their brightness, that's good, but because it seems like a single ball hit could short out a whole strip.
[quoted image]

You will need to replace the strip.

I got this from Amazon to try. It was suggested at some point in this thread. If you have the app you can scan the barcode.

BDAD66DD-1A00-47D0-9D43-3C27616604A3 (resized).jpegBDAD66DD-1A00-47D0-9D43-3C27616604A3 (resized).jpeg
#3508 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Just doesn’t seem that obvious you are doing anything to those progress bars. No sounds call outs or animations afaict??

The +3 and -5 or -10 are very hard to notice.

3 weeks later
#3608 1 year ago
Quoted from m4tt:

As we get closer to the next update (thanks for your patience) I thought I'd do a quick behind-the-scenes post. I'm hoping to do a few more of these as the updates are released over the coming months, feel free to ask questions, and I'll address in a future post if I can (some things I can't talk about though - I'll do my best).
There's a lot to programming pinball machines, so I thought we'd go into that briefly with this update. What's the process, what tools do we use, and what does the Ultraman code look like from a high level.
First, lets talk about "regular" software development, which often all happens in the one environment. Normally you'd make a change, save, sometimes compile the code, check the result. Repeat. And repeat... Depending on the language and application there are tools to speed this up, and there are lots of clever folks out there continually improving things, sometimes you can even make a change "live" and everything is instant, that's the holy grail of development.
Pinball machines and other hardware devices bring another layer of complexity, in that you can only do so much on your development machine before you need to get it running on the actual hardware to really test it. The whole process isn't as quick and there are a LOT of moving parts and variables in a pinball. For a start, if something isn't working the first question is "is it physically broken, electrically or is the software?!" Oh boy. We have a lot of test cases where the machine is put into a certain state and we can quickly jump to testing something specific. We don't have to play through a real game to get to a multiball for example. After we make more changes we can re-run those tests and make sure we didn't accidentally break something that was working.
So, what's in the Ultraman code? Here's some stats:
- 17,549 individual files in the project, it's about 3.5 GB
- 1,637 files are videos and sounds
- the longest C# code file is currently the Zetton wizard mode at 2871 lines
See below for a photo of my desk, yes, four screens is probably excessive, but you gotta have at least three =). Unity on the left, Visual Studio in the middle, playfield with switches and keyboard shortcuts on the vertical screen on the right, project management and music on the top. Tools used include: Visual Studio (C# code), Unity (engine), Git (version control), Beyond Compare (check and copy things between projects), Trello (project management), Miro (diagrams), Photoshop (images), Shotcut (videos), lots of USB sticks for update files(!)
Hopefully that was of some interest, the next update is really coming along, and we're doing everything we can to get it done and tested and released as soon as possible. We've got a lot of cool improvements in the pipeline too as we all work to make the game as awesome as possible.
Matt
Spooky
[quoted image]

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

3 weeks later
#3707 1 year ago

Really like the additions of the easy/medium/hard settings for the multiballs, along with the additions there. The Science Patrol features are nice as well to make that feel fuller. Is that a word? They made Fuller House, so I’m going with yes.

When Matt has run out of things to do (take it easy, that’s a joke) can easy/hard settings be considered for modes? Progress memory (normal setting, but you have to relight modes via drops after a drain), continuing a mode after a drain and when you start your next ball (maybe that’s the easy setting), and current method of zero memory for hard settings. That’s literally the last thing on my wish list.

#3727 1 year ago

Does the 5 shots to the right side target stack over the course of a game? Might be cool to say if you did 5 hits in a single ball, when you release the ball it pops out 2 more balls, but if you did it over the course of a game it only pops out 1. It’s a tough shot, and can be so enticing. Might be some way to up the payoff for doing all 5 hits in one ball, like Iron Man does if you start all modes in a single ball versus over the course of the game.

#3732 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Mode progress on modes is really not needed as there is no real goal to finishing them all. The only progress that really matters is the three main playfield modes for unlocking the first wizard mode.

Do you have to start, or finish 3 modes to qualify Pigmon? That mode is probably my favorite thing in the game but I’ve only got there a few times.

#3788 1 year ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

If you can nail the back target in the Science Patrol lock lane over and over during Science Patrol Multiball the scoring gets high fast.
RM

Sound like this might need a max value, or maybe after a hit and it goes to the next value it takes 2 hits and then goes to the next value, then 3. You collect each time but it’s 1,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4,… instead of 1,2,3,4,5…

I played a few games tonight and got into Science Patrol MB once and it was very cool. Nice addition for sure.

1 week later
#3831 1 year ago

I don’t think the ball save is working during the Science Patrol MB. Had it happen twice today where I drained with it blinking and it never kicked a ball out. One time I had just started a mode, the other time nothing else was going on.

2 months later
#4045 11 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Totally agree - Lyman should be the gold standard.

Lyman is the gold standard.

2 weeks later
#4172 10 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I played a few more games, and it didn’t happen again yet.
I don’t know anything about programming - but I’m guessing there’s some game logic issue that can be addressed.
-When 2 balls shot out, it was because one bounced back in and caused a trough jam…so, the game was trying to clear the jam & that’s why 2 balls ended up in the shooter lane.
-When the 2 balls were in play, and one drained…the game didn’t end the ball…so the game knows that after a trough jam, once the right amount of balls are in the trough to just keep going. (I’ve seen other machines get confused and end the ball at that point)
-So, it seems that something weird logic related is happening for it not to launch a ball at all on the next ball after the previous behavior happens. Something about that event seems to trigger this bug.

I was having balls bounce back into the trough quite often on previous code versions. Pretty happy that there is a little bit of adjustment I can do now. I never had a double feed situation, but the bounce back was almost every other ball.

3 weeks later
#4287 9 months ago

You don’t have to FULL full plunge to get it to feed the left orbit. You can ease up a little and it will still come out the left orbit. Spooky games are the hardest for me to live catch out of all the eras of manufacturers but I can still do it well enough to get things to a trap and then go for the skill shot. Play around with plunge strength and try dead bouncing before trapping up and see if a combo becomes comfortable.

#4300 9 months ago

Out of town until tomorrow. Looking forward to doing the update and playing when I get back.

1 week later
#4348 9 months ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

They did put them in Scooby Doo.
RM

Is there a part number for these from Marco or Pinball Life? Any other hardware needed?

1 month later
#4433 7 months ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Hey, Kids!
Halloween just got a 1.13a code drop and they said we're next!
Can't wait!
RussMyers

Wow, for being an “a” update, there is a ton of stuff on that list.

4 weeks later
#4520 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

There used to be rules flowcharts on Spooky's site but they seem to be removed, probably cause there was rule changes and a bunch of additions since, but this is the one I found for Halloween, which at it's core is same rule set, but there is different rules for specific modes: https://www.spookypinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/HWN_rules_flowchart-1.gif

The one on Tiltforums will need to be updated eventually, but some of the basic stuff has been changed so drastically I wouldn’t think it’s reasonably close to accurate. It’s going to be a big effort with how much stuff Spooky has updated and added, but that’s a great problem to have.

4 weeks later
#4611 5 months ago

Looks like a few signature plates on the speaker/display panel. Was there info on how to request that?

3 weeks later
#4629 4 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

That has to be a pic, notice how blurry it is. Also, looks like blue tape in the upper right corner.
As a HWN owner, how are UM owners feeling? I absolutely love HWN now, even if its tough!

The game is a lot of fun, at least to me it is. My mom, bother, and sister-in-law came over and we played a 4 player game. I’ve never finished the game, but know enough and can show enough to overload new players quickly. I have them a very small amount of goals and was also instructing in the fly. Everyone enjoyed playing the game.

Everyone was less enthused about draining after doing a few shots of Ragon and then having to start all over on the next ball. Mode progress has been my biggest wishlist option since getting the game. I don’t even remember if you need to start or complete modes to unlock the higher level stuff, but I think being able to go in and finish off a failed mode would be a nice option for the player.

#4631 4 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Hopefully neither licensor sees this post!

I’m willing to bet the licensors know and have approved that capability on a limited amount of development games.

2 weeks later
#4653 3 months ago
Quoted from Chrisinfla:

So I ended up buying 2mm hex bolts with nuts ($6.99 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3VMMFPB). Took a bit more work (reading glasses doubled up) but the servos are far more secure.
[quoted image][quoted image]

With a tiny little drop of loctite on the treads under each nut right? Right? I just imagine that little thing falling off eventually and hiding somewhere very inconvenient.

1 month later
#4751 84 days ago

What’s a normal gap between when beta testers get code to when it is approved and released to the public? Assuming nothing crazy is found that needs to be fixed.

#4755 84 days ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

There is no real "normal" when it comes to code updates. The cause for most delays is trying to solve a reported issues that we can't recreate. As soon as we can recreate a bug, we can usually fix it relatively quickly. I will say that Matt has been working pretty much non-stop on it. Full disclosure, I do have to bounce around a bit between all the games, but test new updates for Ultraman multiple times a day. The good news is that while working through things, we continue to add more new things. Usually smaller stuff that has very little chance of causing any type of delay. For example, someone here suggested to make it more clear what the three smaller inserts next to Pigmon are being used for. We decided to add that to this update. They will now not only show when you complete the expert modes, but also help to show when each of them has been qualified.

Appreciate it.

On the how-to side of things, Stern has a really nice way of doing mini tutorials during attract mode. I’m pretty sure that is inspired by how Pinball Arcade did things. I would get the demo versions of games just to scroll through the tutorial slides to learn how to play the game or answer minor questions I had that I couldn’t figure out while playing. I know it’s not a zero effort project, but as a player I really appreciate those.

1 week later
#4786 77 days ago

Just put the new code on and played a game. Will play more to get a feel but I had one thing happen that I don’t understand. When in Jirahs multiball the drop target on the middle playfield was blinking white. Does this signify something? I put a ball in it once and hit the drop with another almost right away and it popped it out. Not sure if that’s a temporary hold but it was blinking white and not used to the new colors yet.

Other than that I liked the presentation quite nicely. Screen tearing on Baltan, which is the one that I noticed the most, is gone. Really appreciate the effort on that and the other refinements.

I’ve been asking for a mode progress memory, but with the factory setting being to just start instead of finish 9 modes I think that is very nicely balanced. Now to see if I can have a game last that long.

#4818 75 days ago

I powered up today and have a little bit on an issue going on. The game was booting fine and then I could smell smoke. Turned it off and lifted the playfield and the coil that drops the bridge was pretty hot. I let it cool down a bit and turned it on again to observe and that coil will fire early in the boot process. It lets go, not locked on.

After something like 10-15 seconds it fires again, but lets go every time. I don’t think the coil is heating back up and it measures 4.9 ohms, just like the two slingshots which are the same coils. So I don’t think the coil is hosed or anything. I have a few reds on the boards and if the coil fuses have green lights under them they are out, so maybe all blown? If the fuses are blown then why does this coil fire? Any other things I should look at?

IMG_7677 (resized).jpegIMG_7677 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#4969 18 days ago

I had the “go to HQ, lifter gives you the ball back right away and you drain” issue just now. I haven’t played UM for a few weeks now because I needed to finish up the scoop deflector install and just haven’t been able to.

I had it all back together and played a game and the HQ opto wasn’t working, so I couldn’t start a mode. I did have a massive game though, just one super away from getting them in all 3 multiballs, and ended up with 65m on zero extra balls because the scoop wasn’t registering.

Pop the hood and see that the HQ opto was off by one pin. Whoops. Fix that, and just played another game. Started the first mode just fine, went to the spacium store once, and also several trips to the scoop while other stuff was going, and the ball was returned just fine.

Light a second mode and as it says “Gamora” I hear the lifter (it might have flashed as well, I was looking at the screen) and my brain just goes “nooooooooo”. Dead flippers, ball rolls down the drain. That was ball 3, so game over.

m4tt I can send an email if needed. I have an in-work streaming rig so maybe I can get it on video, but it didn’t seem to be have out of the ordinary.

#4970 18 days ago

I’m now running late to set up my pinball league today, but wanted to do one quick test game before I left. Ended up not being so quick, but zero mode start drains and there were several. Probably missed the wizard mode for the first time because I restarted a mode a few times instead of moving to the next. Live and learn.

IMG_8072 (resized).jpegIMG_8072 (resized).jpeg
#4976 18 days ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

But how do you inevitable beat/finish the monsters? Like with Radon. You shoot purple combos. They change colors. Still telling me to shoot purple when all the purple is gone. Lol. How do you win?
I guess it doesn't retain progress either? Starting over everytime you choose a monster? Again. I guess a rule sheet would be very helpful.

A lack of mode progress is a little tough, but, for wizard mode progress the default is to start (not complete) 6 modes, I think. So if you drain during a mode, don’t pick it next time you go to mode select.

There is a rule sheet on Tilt Forums, but it’s super out of date. I don’t know all the ins and outs of UM, but once we are pretty much code complete I wouldn’t mind helping update the rule wiki.

http://tiltforums.com/t/ultraman-wiki-rulesheet/7456

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Arabi, LA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

5,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertT1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultraman-kaiju-rumble-owners?tu=desertT1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.