(Topic ID: 301220)

Ultraman Kaiju Rumble Club - Kaiju are near!

By Morinack

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,000 posts
  • 277 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 112 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MGmotor (resized).JPG
motor (resized).jpg
20240407_143511 (resized).jpg
20240407_143613 (resized).jpg
20240407_143449 (resized).jpg
20240407_143536 (resized).jpg
20240407_143555 (resized).jpg
IMG_8072 (resized).jpeg
ultramancover (resized).jpg
utramanpinplastic (resized).png
20240127_131303 (resized).jpg
20240127_131312 (resized).jpg
UM Topper (resized).png
IMG_4831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7139 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7136 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #218 Detailed update from Luke on 11/29/21 Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #278 New code is live. More code promised. Posted by SpookyBug (2 years ago)

Post #339 SpookyLuke discusses some pros and cons of Pinatar system. Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #1026 Charlie comments Posted by SpookyCharlie (2 years ago)

Post #1112 Rule development planning. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #1548 Links to fixes in Halloween that had not been shared in Ultraman thread Posted by paulbaptiste (2 years ago)

Post #1589 What the future holds for this title. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #1686 Rule summary from rarehero Posted by Rarehero (2 years ago)

Post #1744 Way to thread stripped playfield holes. Posted by Tranquilize (2 years ago)

Post #1865 IPS screen install, 30 minutes. Posted by MT45 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 2 years ago

Just over from the hype thread. I've currently got UM CE #258 and CE #350 on order, but looking to move the 350, since I don't need two.

#169 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Yes we will see Kaneda.

I think he's living in your guys' heads. Let's be logical for a moment, somehow I doubt that Kaneda is selling his #500 game, for a thousand dollar loss, when it still won't even be built for another year. LOL! Doesn't really make much sense. Conspiracies abound around here.

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

He’s lying about selling his game. It’s all a ruse. What number game is he by the way? I just looked at his pending ad and he doesn’t mention it. Hey look, he changed his profile pic to match SpookyLuke…that totally is not something Kaneda would do. I mean I guess it could not be him. All he has to do is say I’m not Kaneda. Pretty simple, no?

I'm pretty sure neither Mr. Big Balls nor Kaneda owe you anything. You aren't entitled to their time or to an explanation if they don't feel like giving one. And Kaneda all ready did say it wasn't him on air, so I'm not really sure what you are fishing for?

Besides, game spots were selling for cheap way before this $1000 ad came up.

#197 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainHendry:

Just noticed this. I’ve got #258. Can you check your number again.

Ah yes, I meant 259. I guess I fat-fingered it!

#270 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

So how did Kaneda buy the last CE claiming #500 - wouldn’t that be a standard cab

Ugh, please let's not start on that again. It was a special case, and the bottom-line is simply that he asked, and Spooky said yes.

A bunch of people are butt hurt about it, for some dumb reason or another. There was bitchin for days after people found out. But I say who cares what someone else's number is. Get over it and enjoy your own game.

#354 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Are we? I’m spending a lot on a game that’s unfinished and buggy. If I’m expected to “have faith” & be a beta tester, be compatible with computers that lots of people have.

Maybe if you ask nice, Spooky will mail you a USB stick. Like how companies used to have to mail out new ROM chips for code updates.

#446 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

I’m afraid I’m in the same boat. If Spooky doesn’t make this Mac friendly, I’m sunk. Everyone I know only uses Mac and no one uses windows in my area. I think what Rarehero is discussing is a real world issue and not just complaining. I don’t want to do a dance around to upgrade my software, since I’ve tried that on other things and it does not reliably work. Apple is the biggest computer company in the world and its strange that people still act like windows is the only OS.

That's true that Windows isn't the only OS, but it does account for approx. 75% of the computer market. The thing about Macs is that they have a lot if Pros and Cons. One of the cons is that a lot of software doesn't work on or exist for Macs, like most PC games. But a Pro is that they tend to be more stable and have less viruses and mallard. So it's swings and roundabouts.

3 weeks later
#862 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Yeah no details on where to put it.. Usually it works out.. fine.
Seems like I would take the time to add the details for each game. Sorry trying to remain positive but hell.
Obviously the USB extender thing is not for updates..... What is it for then?

Well, did you verify the filename on the USB before inserting? Apparently, it has to be named exactly what is says in the instructions, otherwise there can be problems. Read just a bit earlier on up on the thread and you'll find someone with the exact same issue as you.

Good luck though!

2 weeks later
#1027 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

In the last year we have doubled the production staff, including adding key talent... added an entire new building to house production (literally a couple months ago moved in), have a 2nd full time engineer / programmer in house for the first time in company history, and so much more behind the scenes.
Reminder: this is AFTER we bought a bigger facility what... 1.5 to 2 years ago??? Time flies...
We corrected and improved MOUNTAINS of electronics, assembly, ditched IDC's in favor of pneumatic Molex equipment, higher level no noise power supplies, and brought even more equipment in house for better controlled parts manufacturing in our own shop(s) to avoid supply chain issues that are hitting literally everyone.
We are pouring buckets of money, time, people, and talent into this company every week and intend to do more. We feel we have one of the best young companies out there, and yep... we know the code is not where you want it to be. Thank goodness its the 1 thing we can keep working on until we're all happy. Going forward, the goal is to have the game code MUCH farther along at launch. This wasn't the norm for any pinball company just a few years ago, but we know that's not the case today.
All of this takes time money and people. We just had our biggest year. That means you all expect more from us, and so do we... it doesn't happen overnight folks.
Peace & pinball ya'll. Spooky is only going up... enjoy the ride with us.

Thanks so much for putting things into perspective and giving us a bit of a pep talk! As a future UM CE #350 owner, and hopefully a continued Spooky buyer in the future, it's good to hear this kind of thing. Helps calm the nerves.

#1117 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

This guy is so mad that he has now decided to start talking s#it in the ‘Next Stern thread’…da fuq? Like…why?
[quoted image]

Well, he ordered at least 2 Ultramans, and a Halloween. So maybe he's mad cuz he's lost a lot of dough on the resale? And since he doesn't like them, he doesn't it want to keep them? IDK?

3 weeks later
#1283 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Shit happens. Springs stretch after hundreds of plays.
Ask Stern how many times they tested the Rush Scoop. Or the Metallica magnet grab mech. Or the XMen Nightcrawlers. Every release has some changes on the line.
rd

Plus, even though it's been months for Spooky, in terms of games built, it's probably the equivalent of a few weeks for Stern. So from that perspective, Spooky is making adjustments a similar number of games into the run as Stern does. It's just that Spooky is smaller and takes longer to build.

3 weeks later
#1494 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I've still got 4 pages to catch up on the HW thread, but holy crap the tone here vs there is night and day, literally. Like....I just don't get it. Must be something about the types of people these two themes attract. Oof.

Quoted from jwilson:

What’s the difference?

Yeah, different how?

1 month later
#1665 2 years ago

Just heard that neither Halloween or Ultraman come with any sort of manual or schematics. That seems like it will make diagnosing and repairing issues more difficult. Are manuals and schematics planned to be released at some point?

As a repair tech myself, I definitely use them when working on pins. This concerns me. Especially, since apparently there still is no manual for Rick & Morty yet? Hmm.

#1674 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Your intel is accurate; no manual or schematic is shipped with the game.
This is something I've really wanted to address, and absolutely will be addressing going forward. To be candid, we are a lean team, and all have a lot on our plates at the moment, but I believe we are bringing more engineering talent onboard in the near future to expand our bandwidth. I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but at the very least, we do have a *top* notch tech ready to help with anything you need if you give us a call during business hours. But I understand, you're a tech yourself, and so you need to be able to diagnose problems yourself in a timely manner.
That said, the wiring in our games is dead simple. We don't use a 'matrix' topology; everything is point to point, and coils have unique wire coloring. So you can look at a coil, identify the power wire (lower gauge, and branches at the coil lug instead of terminating there) and see the color of the signal/ground wire (they all have a base color and stripe color, and I believe are all unique). Then just find the same color wire on the pinotaur to see where it's connected. LEDs are all chained together, so you can just follow the chain to locate a problem area. Perhaps the more involved wiring is the switches. We have 8 switch banks, each on their own harness, wired point-to-point, but each harness does have the same set of colored wires. So troubleshooting switches, you do at least have to identify the switch bank it's on. If you can't trace it by eye, the switch test menu, or doing a continuity test should help identify the bank it's on. And again, optos are point-to-point, and a meter or the test menu will help identify where they plug into the pinotaur if you can't trace it by eye.
Unfortunately, the pinotaur schematic/layout is not publicly available (not even Spooky has access to it), so if there is a problem with the pinotaur, you can send it back to us, and depending on the circumstances, we can repair it or provide a new one. Same with LED boards, or any part for that matter; just let us know and we can send you more.

Quoted from spooky_dj:

You know, thinking about it more, a wiring pinout for the pinotaur is not too complicated. Let me check with the lead tech; if he doesn't have one made up already, I'll make one and throw it on our website next week. Won't ship with the games, but at least it'll always be available online.
Just don't let spooky luke know I'm doing this instead of programming the next game, which is *totally* not a courage the cowardly dog/powerpuff girls dual theme
:p
Cheers!

Thanks for the responses. Good to know it's at least something that is being thought about.

I suppose in an ideal world Spooky would have a full-time technical writer on staff. But even as much as Spooky has grown, it is still a pretty small company in the grand scheme of things.

Also, Powerpuff Girls for the win.

#1709 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Started on the pinout today. It's just going to be a spreadsheet with connector name, pin number, pin name / function, what mech/device it runs to, and the color of the wire.

Nice.

1 month later
#2005 1 year ago
Quoted from mummite:

Day 2 of owning Ultraman CE and I love it even more. Played a good number of games last night and heard one of my favorite Ultraman theme songs. It was glorious and I sang along as it played. Oh pinside. . . . another great game that gets the hate. Well not from me this game is excellent! Keep up the good work on the code Spooky the science team appreciates it.

UM got hate for how it was at launch and for the next few months after. By all accounts the game is much more refined and fun than it used to be.

If a game is good and a game is fun, then eventually the crowd figures it out.

3 weeks later
#2198 1 year ago

Yeah, I've learned a big lesson on this one. I'm #350, so I've got a bit of time still, but I'm worried because the prices keep dropping and dropping. If the prices don't pick up by the time my invoice is due, then I'll highly consider walking away from my deposit.

I don't mind losing a bit value on the resale, but not like this. Right now, Ultraman CEs are not even worth 7k on the secondary market. That's a 2 thousand dollar loss before I've even picked up the game or had it shipped to me. I've never seen this kind of value loss on a game mid-run.

I didn't buy UM to flip, but I'll have to sell something to pay it's invoice. And it doesn’t make sense to do that if I'm gonna lose my shirt, and could just buy an UM later for even less. I might as well cut my losses and bite the 2k bullet now, rather than a 2.5k bullet later.

I guess it'll just depend on what things look like when my invoice is due, and how much I'm liking the pins I all ready have. I do think Ultraman looks fun, so we'll see.

#2214 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

What lesson did you learn? You already knew Spooky was a smaller co. You already knew code would continued to be refined. What are you surprised about?

I learned my lesson on putting a deposit down on a game that I don't know for sure is good.

I got caught up in the moment, and thought that if I didn't order UM the day it went on sale, that I'd be stuck in a Rick and Morty situation; where UM would be hard to find, and more expensive than MSRP.

Now I'm only going to pre-order a game if I'm certain it's a winner. And in particular, I'm gonna wait and see on Spooky titles going forward. Worst case, I pay a bit more later if it ends up being an in demand title, best case, I avoid a massive loss like with HWN and UM.

2 weeks later
#2473 1 year ago

Well, I officially backed out of my UM. So at some point CE #350 will be available for sale.

Boo. It just didn't make sense financially for me to follow-through. Yes, I'm taking a 2 thousand dollar hit on the deposit, but I'd lose more than that in value if I actually bought the game and paid the full invoice. As now CEs are worth less than 7k on the 2nd-hand market, and still falling. And the hit is even worse with shipping costs, or in gas costs to drive and do in-person pickup.

I think the game looks fun, and if I was planning on keeping it a long time, I wouldn't mind the value loss. But I only tend to keep my pins for a few months before moving them on. So residual value matters to me. Also, I was planning on putting it on route, but some of the quality/reliability issues concern me too.

Oh well, you live and you learn. Those that have or are getting the game, I hope you really enjoy it. Don't let me ruin your fun.

#2483 1 year ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Speculative pinball preordering isn't for the faint of heart I think we've seen all 5 stages of grief here, from denial (doubling down and holding 2 pre-order spots) to final acceptance.
Just a reminder that prior to the last 2 years it was expected that you would lose money on every new in box game and, at risk of being labeled a bubble-burst conspiracy theorist, I would suspect we return to that standard after inflation cools down and MSRP's adjust. You've done great work bringing some cool + unique titles to the people of Sioux Falls but I think you'll have to get into more of an operator-mindset if you want to continue rotating games out and not losing money on them.

Yeah, I think the tide has turned a bit on pinball prices.

So far, routing has been a win-win for me, and hasn't resulted in any losses. I've generally been able to sell my pins for around what I paid for them, sometimes more, sometimes less. And even when I've sold them for a bit less, the weekly earnings have generally kept me in the black anyway.

Currently, have a Cactus Canyon on route. And will be swapping it for a Rush soon. I'll probably keep Rush out until my Fathom is ready. But who knows how long that might be! Haggis is definitely not cranking them out like Spooky is now.

1 week later
#2549 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Spooky is doing a great job banging these out, but I would guess they are also now skipping over the CE buyers that aren't completing their purchase.

Yeah, that seems plausible. I wonder if Spooky is actually going to build all 500 UM CEs?

Also, does anyone know what happens to the deposit money when someone backs out? Specifically, if you ordered through a distro. Do they get all of your deposit, or does Spooky, or do they split it? Just curious.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultraman-kaiju-rumble-owners?tu=DakotaMike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.