(Topic ID: 301220)

Ultraman Kaiju Rumble Club - Kaiju are near!

By Morinack

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,944 posts
  • 277 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 112 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240127_131303 (resized).jpg
20240127_131312 (resized).jpg
UM Topper (resized).png
IMG_4831 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7139 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7136 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7134 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0173 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0182 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0178 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0160 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0156 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240311_203219737 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #218 Detailed update from Luke on 11/29/21 Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #278 New code is live. More code promised. Posted by SpookyBug (2 years ago)

Post #339 SpookyLuke discusses some pros and cons of Pinatar system. Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #1026 Charlie comments Posted by SpookyCharlie (2 years ago)

Post #1112 Rule development planning. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #1548 Links to fixes in Halloween that had not been shared in Ultraman thread Posted by paulbaptiste (2 years ago)

Post #1589 What the future holds for this title. Posted by lpeters82 (2 years ago)

Post #1686 Rule summary from rarehero Posted by Rarehero (1 year ago)

Post #1744 Way to thread stripped playfield holes. Posted by Tranquilize (1 year ago)

Post #1865 IPS screen install, 30 minutes. Posted by MT45 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BradLinden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#323 2 years ago

Help! I had to disconnect backbox wires to move the game and didn’t label as well as I should:

Two mystery connections remaining-
1. Longer USB cable coming from the cabinet; where does this connect to?

2. 1/8” audio cable - there are 2 jacks on the display board and I’m not sure which it goes into.

If someone could snap some photos of their backbox that would be great!

(Also, p.s. hello I just became an Ultraman owner and I'm very excited!)

12322C68-0B9D-499D-8842-E761E1A4A338 (resized).jpeg12322C68-0B9D-499D-8842-E761E1A4A338 (resized).jpegA3A787A8-5022-438B-8373-9A7B8AC51A61 (resized).jpegA3A787A8-5022-438B-8373-9A7B8AC51A61 (resized).jpeg
#401 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

USB can plug into any open port on the computer. The audio jack plugs into the port with the black ring, not the silver ring.

Thank you spooky_dj !! Worked great

#402 2 years ago

Between a busy week and an annoying basement staircase, It took me a week to get the game from my garage to my basement. But as of an hour ago it’s all assembled and playing! My wife and I only got two games in so far but had a lot of fun. Some of our favorite music in a game we’ve played. Just starting to understand the rules, but was able to figure out enough to start a few battles and a few multiballs. Looking forward to getting more games in this week.

2 weeks later
#700 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

So Do some kind of short countdown mode with animation to where you hit a certain shot or ramp out of the flipper feed for points or awards, kind of like smart missile in JP. Giving the player something to focus on rather than nothing happening while the ball travels under the playfield will make the wait seem less and improve the game.

This is a very smart idea

1 week later
#837 2 years ago

Anyone have this issue with balls getting hung up on the in-lane lifter covers? I emailed Spooky support and I'm confident they'll help, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen. It's been happening any time the ball is slowly entering the left in lane. Ball search won't release it, nor will tilting the game.

IMG_3475 (resized).jpgIMG_3475 (resized).jpgIMG_3476 (resized).jpgIMG_3476 (resized).jpg
#896 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Loosen the posts that hold the flap down. Then press down on the flap while you are tightening them back up. This will eliminate any bowing that might be occurring.

That seemed to fix it! Thanks!

1 month later
#1415 2 years ago

I know I haven't played all the way through every single mode, so I may be missing something, but is there a reason why the Baltan holes (lock scoops), 180 ramp to middle playfield, and far right (drop target) shot aren't used in the battles? Having said that- the battle modes have great rules and variety. This game has a ton of shots and I was just curious if it was intentional to not utilize those ones in the battles.

#1416 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Alrighty, it's probably too early for "first impressions", although these are actually my second impressions since I played it on location last year.
Gameplay first:
-I'm happy to say I'm having a lot of fun playing this game today...

I've been meaning to do a proper review for a long time, but then Rarehero came along and pretty much matched my thoughts, so that saved me some work. If RGP memory serves me well, we've been in the hobby for a similar amount of time, and have a lot of similar opinions. It's fascinating to think back to those ~2008 days; I also remember that sentiment that Bally/Williams was far and away the gold standard, that there were a few Data East games that weren't considered garbage, and that Stern being in business was nice consolation in the meantime. The analogy that UM isn't designed to shoot silky smooth like i.e Spiderman, but a little "weirder" and more unpredictable (like some cult-favorite DE or Gottlieb games from the era) helped me categorize how I feel about this game's shots. To be clear- it shoots great.

[Sidebar: I rewatched "Tilt" (The P2K documentary) a few weeks ago, and it's amazing how that story ends with a very grim outlook for pinball, and people like George Gomez being totally out of the industry and Pat Lawlor just starting to do a little contract work. We were just hoping for pinball to stay alive. And now we've got more companies and new games than we can keep track of, and in many cases, the games are better than ever.]

Flashback aside, a few other current UM thoughts:

- The Kaiju battles are *really* good. I love the variety of shots and creative goals. I was just playing one (can't remember which monster) and I was amazed how many "stages" the battle went through. The ongoing progression reminded me of LOTR, which has some of my favorite mode rules.

- I really like *idea* of the current UI (i.e. the old fashioned computer look, the 'monitor' and other 'meters' etc.), I think it's clever and I didn't really mind the smaller clips. BUT- once I got to the DADA mode (which is all full screen video), I was immediately hooked on how much better the full screen clips are. To agree with Rarehero again: the smaller looping clips are nice background (in the same way that people do those tiny TV mods with footage on Addams Family etc.), but when it comes to showing me that I'm hitting the right shots and progressing the mode, I need full screen clips to signal that. Similarly, I'm hoping the future updates include more clear direction (voice, video, sound etc.) of what to do, and clear reaction when I've done it.

- I've had a couple minor tech issues/questions and I can't express enough how quick and easy the Spooky tech support phone line made things.

- I was a little worried that the LED strip lights might be over the top, but they're not. They actually have a "pinstadium" sort of effect that keeps the upper 1/2 of the playfield really evenly lit. And the patterns they have programmed in are great (watch them on attract mode for a while).

- LOVE the music. Great variety, great energy. Can't think of many (any?) other games that sound like this one.

- If I could make one modification, I think I'd prefer that the left ramp be all metal (or plastic) before the wireform, rather than the metal ramp -> wood playfield -> wireform. I think it'd shoot a little smoother. But that's just me being picky.

Lastly- re: the in-lane lifters. I got used to them (as did my wife) in like ~2 games. They don't feel slow, and honestly sometimes it's nice to not have to "brace" yourself for hard eject from the scoop (a la FGY/Shrek, with a similar scoop position). However, I did try removing the monster plastic from one of my slingshots to see if being able to see the actual "lift" happen would make a difference. It is nice to see the action happen, but I don't know if it improves the game really.

I'd be curious, from Bug & Luke's perspective, what the motivation was for doing the lifters. Not in a "what were you thinking?!?" way, but what were they hoping it would add to the game? Is it just a unique way of returning the ball from the scoop, is it meant to be "sneaky" (a la Michael Myers), is there a mechanical/functional purpose they were addressing? If there's a specific idea or purpose with it, maybe there are code/video/lights/sounds ways that can make that difference shine and stand out more, rather than just seeming like an alternative to a normal scoop eject.

I had some of my best UM games so far this afternoon, I think I'm starting to find my groove and enjoy it more and more. Great work everybody at Spooky; I love seeing the code progress and I'm really grateful for your attention and dedication.

#1417 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I'm going to be working on all of that. I'd like to get a much more uniform look to the text. There will be larger popups in English and Japanese for the things like Battle Start, Jackpots, Extra Balls, Tilt Warnings, etc. Then the smaller text will be designed to look like subtitles, that will mostly be the directional text that tell you what you need to do next. While I'm excited for the progress that has been made, it's nowhere near final. As we mentioned on the stream there is a new user interface in the works. Because of that I felt it was more appropriate to focus most of my efforts in other areas for this update, since a new UI will likely mean reworking a lot of the text anyway. Good things are coming.

This all sounds excellent.

#1427 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yup, I’ve been doing this crap since around 2005 when I got my first pin, but got more “hardcore” into it around 2006-7 after I did some work with Stern & got sucked into the whole scene.
Am I nuts or were you in L.A. for a while? Or was that Dave K.?

Close! I was traveling in a band for a while and we almost managed to hang out once while I was in LA. But Dave is a dear friend of mine in LA and I think I referred him to you for some pinball fun.

1 week later
#1523 2 years ago

This update is a big step forward; I'm really enjoying it. The full screen clips make a huge difference in the overall gameplay experience and its so much easier to have a “reaction” when you complete a shot.

Also, there are some significant lighting improvements that are really cool. Right away I noticed more patterns in the attract mode. But particularly in the Kaiju battles, the light strips switch to specific colors and it’s a really nice effect.

I got the Pigmon mode once (and I know nothing about Pigmon) but it was very weird and funny and I loved the video clips.

I actually *like* the Jirah timer, mainly because before it felt like if I qualified the upper playfield, that mode/music would take over the rest of the ball. So it’s nice that it can wrap up. Having said that, I understand if it’s not the ideal setup.

One bug I’m getting: when I start Baltan multiball, it loads three balls into the shooter lane before launching them, so they end up all stuck in the shooter lane unless I hand launch them.

Lastly- I’m not great with Pinside inside jokes, but did I hear a “Lionman” voice call??

Really pleased with this update and the progress the game is making; it’s feeling more and more “whole”.

1 week later
#1586 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I highly recommend doing Snaroff’s subwoofer spacer mod. I just did this to my R&M and Ultraman and it’s night and day - moreso for UM.
Every time the ball comes up from the lifter, there’s a deep bass effect - and without this spacer it sounds like a rattley fart. With this mod, it sounds/feels like bass. While doing the mod, I also found a random plastic piece inside my sub - so, that prob didn’t help rattley bass issues lol
Spooky should be installing this spacer & anti-rattle tape on the glass at the factory IMO.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/159#post-5975793

Thanks for sharing that! I definitely want to try it as well.

3 weeks later
#1753 1 year ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

I’ve put some meat on this game and now have A few comments and questions. My high score so far is $50M with most games landing between $15-25M.
3rd level: ripping those spinners and crossing the bridge before the timer runs out has to be one of the most satisfying of moments in pinball. Tip: if the ball drains to level two, try to flip it through the upper right drain from the second level to avoid falling into the subway/lifter and eating up the time.
A few tips on Bemular on 2nd level: at first this was a frustrating level. 80% of Clean shots up the right ramp just exit out into the shooter drop so fast. Holding the left flipper up would make it exit down the upper right drain to the main level. So many ways for the ball to exit the 2nd level without even having a chance to flip it on that level! Aargh! But I’ve developed a new strategy: start a pigmon mode and select gomora. After hitting the 3 drops the middle ramp to HQ/3rd level opens during gomora. Don’t cross the bridge but just Let the ball drop to the 2nd level and it’s a nice and easy feed to the 2nd level flipper to make Bemular progress. Once you get the 2nd level drop down and sink the ball, keep the left flipper up for a trap on reentry so you can mail the next round of shots on level 2.
Questions: will you ever have a second chance at Bemular? Seems like if you don’t get all the way to battle Bemular in the first time you open the mode then you don’t ever have the chance to open up the 2nd playfield again to get to it. If that’s the case, how do we get to the final wizard? Seems like I can play baltan multiball over again.
Opening skill shot: hitting the Ultraman target on the far right as the first target traps the ball behind the drop. Hitting the drop target with the next ball releases and creates a two ball multi — but what’s the mode? What’s the goal? Is there any goal to achieve during this multi? Or is it just an extra ball for fun?

That’s a good tip about the second level. I also had some frustration about it flying right past the flipper and into the lane.

#1773 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoreland:

#178 came today. I was a little worried seeing all the spots being put up for sale. But let me say this game is awesome. Haters must have poop in their pants or something. My wife was initially disappointed that Ultraman came before cactus canyon remake because she wasn’t into the theme but now loves it. The playfield is wide open and the shots are satisfying the music is awesome the light shows are cool as hell and its got the shiniest playfield I’ve ever seen. Lol. Two little glitches came up, one has to do with the flippers shutting off intermittently during a mode with the ball trough kicking balls into the shooter lane while the ball is still in play. The other has to do with the leaf switch on the left flipper button not aligning with the push button center pusher So the push plastic pushed past the leaf switch and was binding on it. The holes were drilled a little askew so they’ll need to be filled and redrilled. Other than that this thing is amazing so far.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!! It was baffling how, as of a few months ago, there were only ~50 of this game that existed in the world, and yet somehow it seemed like the majority of pinside "knew" that it was a bad game.

1 month later
#2291 1 year ago
Quoted from stf_dnx:

Could you please point the thread to fix the switch or where to buy the MRS switch?
My right right orbit switch tests fine but not always register correctly during gameplay.
That's about the only issue I had so far

This is a video from Spooky explaining how to adjust the orbit switch

1 month later
#2719 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Long term goal, I hope for a tournament mode where extra ball is not an option or really any of the buying points. Gotta earn every point in tournaments.

To be fair, shooting the stand up targets to collect Spacium is very risky, so when you use those Spacium to buy some points, I think that's well earned.

#2720 1 year ago

Got some decent play time in on the latest code and really enjoying it! The new graphics for the Spacium store, plus the graphics in the circle on the left of the UI (says "GOMORA ALERT!" during modes, etc.) are VERY impressive. They're a significant step up, and it's impressing me with what Spooky is capable of. The modes and multiballs continue to be unique and challenging. I'm seeing more shots utilized in multiballs/modes (i.e. the Baltan scoops as Jackpots in Jirahs multiball), which I really appreciate. Not sure if that was included in previous updates, but either way I like it.

I spent several games focused on better understanding the rules (i.e. just focus on learning Bemular for this game...), and that also is helping me enjoy the game. I've noticed more instruction text during these modes too. Dada mode is a thrill, Pigmon is so weird and hilarious (the sound effects and video in particular).

3 months later
#3203 1 year ago

Mod Brainstorming:

I think the Baltans swinging out from the behind the buildings is a fun effect, and it has a purpose w/ the multiball jackpots. However, I'm a little disappointed that when you're standing playing the game, the buildings don't actually "hide" the characters. What if someone designed additional "buildings" that could go between the main buildings and act as a hiding place for the Baltans? You'd end up seeing less of the ball coming down the wireform, but I think the effect of the Baltans appearing out of nowhere would be a really cool improvement.

The dotted line in my sketch represents the additional building (w/ a dog house style cutout for the character to come out from).

This feels like it wouldn't be too difficult for someone with access to a 3d printer? Not looking to make money off of these, just wanted to see if others thought it could work or had ideas how to execute.

IMG_4577 (resized).jpgIMG_4577 (resized).jpg
#3218 1 year ago

I would like it if drop target mode qualifying carried over (I.e. I hit the targets on ball 2 and lit battle, but drained. Battle remains lit when ball 3 starts), but I would not suggest eliminating the drop targets qualifying modes.

#3229 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Also, limiting your possibilities for Scoring Strategies. No Dirty Pool Shot / Playfield Magnifier.
The Drops allow for a diverse path through the Modes and Multi-Balls, if and when you employ your imagination/reason, to navigate the ruleset.
Leave them employed as they are, please.

Hadn't thought of those unintended consequences! Good points.

2 months later
#3606 1 year ago

Super interesting! I appreciate the behind the scenes peek. Grateful for your work and looking forward to the results.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BradLinden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultraman-kaiju-rumble-owners?tu=BradLinden and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.