Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 684 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 hours ago by pinmister
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vp_IMG_0125 (resized).jpg
    2024-02-02 20.42.25 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2607 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2581 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2609 (resized).jpeg
    pretty good.gif
    IMG_0905 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    Pam (resized).jpg
    20230701_011237 (resized).jpg
    20230701_005223 (resized).jpg
    20230701_003547 (resized).jpg
    20230630_235903 (resized).jpg
    ok ok ok (resized).jpg
    LW (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Outlane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Yes, no interest in VP on pinside because once people except it the value and whole market of pins will crash. They wont admit it is a far better investment. I am a traditionalist and have both, its all coming to an end shortly.
    Animated backglass and movie clips, slugfest baseball games, online competitive play coming soon, jukebox feature! You don't have to make your own or do any work. It's game over.

I'll tell you what?
    We'll wait a couple years and I'll list the resale values of my pins vs. the resale value of your virtual pincab.

2 weeks later
    #10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bill-P:

I'd like to think there's room for both virtual and original pinball machines.
    I love my old 1950s and '60s machine but I am certainly very interested in learning more about this technology

Digital pinball is a video game not a pinball machine and it never will be. I have both including VR.
    Is there room for both? Hell yes!
    Will digital replace real? Hell no!
    Hell, half the fun for me is fixing them up and modding them out and dialing them in! And as far as the OP's comment about online play, my Hobbit already has the option and Stern does now starting with Godzilla. Not that I even want it!

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

I think this guy is on the right track.

Yup, I bought the HP Reverb G2, lumber, decals and buttons and stick to build a stubby VR cab, and then the Covid shit happened and my planned video card for my new computer build to drive it all - went through the roof! Project will be on hold probably until 2023!! So I bought another real pin instead LOL!

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Sounds like a reasonable time line. We're super close to perfection but not quite there.
    I want to see 1/4 length cabinets that are just basically a box for the computer and solenoid effects, no giant LCD screen. Instead a screen on the wall can mirror the action to everyone else in the room, and then a VR headset to play the games.
    Now imagine putting your headset on and you're at the original Museum of Pinball in Banning. You can walk around in a totally immersive 3D space and see the entire collection. Walk up to any game and start playing it in perfect 3D with the finger feel of real solenoids in the cabinet. All this in 8k 120hz VR with 3D sound. The hardware for this experience is so close but making a really good VR world experience like that will take some serious development work.
    The VR pinball experiences I've had so far are fun and novel but without the cabinet and solenoid effects it's super video-gamey. Also you need really high-res headsets and powerful GPU's which make it cost nearly as much as a NIB just for the computer hardware.
    In the mean time I'm keeping floor space reserved for real games. I've seen the 1/4 length VR cabs from an Aussie distro but there were no solenoid effects. Wonder if someone will eventually market one like that in the US.

I agree, but you will probably have more time in software updating then you will ever have in maintenance.

10 months later
    #187 1 year ago
    Quoted from japespin:

How's the filpper lag compared to your Sterns and JJPs?

There shouldn't be any flipper lag. I don't have it with my home made PC controller that uses optocouplers and an I-PAC keyboard encoder.

1 week later
    #217 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Found the reason why that the display is flickering on my Ultra VP 6.0. I noticed a capacitor rolling around in the cabinet, didn't look blown or anything and possibly just an extra part. I took off the middle back metal cover on the TV once more and sure enough there was a spot where the capacitor would have been on one of the boards. Who knows maybe just by shipping it came loose. I could attempt to resolder it but with a few dead pixels on the screen (who knows if the capacitor not being there caused those and or other damage) I'm still going to drive down to RRW tomorrow and get the replacement display.

Cheap capacitors are the leading cause of TV failures. In your case a bad solder joint. Simple fix.

#218 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Thanks for the info! I hope to get my machine in this life time!

I waited 18 months for my ACNC. It'll come!

4 weeks later
    #248 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

This last week was all about Congo for me. I love the layout for Congo and it is such a great game.
    Stop eating my sesame cake!

I always wondered what size display this guy runs on with this setup?? I would think it would have to be at least a 65" to have a decent size playfield.

1 month later
    #273 1 year ago
    Quoted from ElRato:

Hey all, just stumbled onto this group and wanted to say hi. I’ve had my Ultra for 1.5 years and have done quite a bit of modifications to it, including putting in an OLED monitor. I also run an owners only weekly league on FB for anyone interested, just search RRW Ultra League. [quoted image]

Did you install a 120Hz LG dispay?

#279 1 year ago

#281 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

As someone who has tried VR pinball, even built their own VR pinball cabinet (sold it this year), I much prefer full size Pincabs such as the Ultra VP 6.0. Why? I don't have to wear a headset. #2, I don't have to wear a headset lol. Do you wear a head in real life to play pinball? No. IMO VR actually takes away from immersion as again you are wearing a headset. Also even today's best VR headsets still suffer from the screen door effect and this is especially noticeable in VR pinball for things such as inserts and the text on them. A sharp 120hz 4K display in the real world still can't be beat when it comes to image quality.
    Finally, VR pinball cabinets do not have the weight of a real pinball machine or the capacity for the mechs for proper DOF + SOF. I much prefer a full size Pincab that mimics the look and feel of an actual pinball machine over a VR pinball cab which like VR itself seems like a theme park novelty that you enjoy for a few minutes and that's it.
    RRW is planning an update for the Ultra VP 6.0 that will add VR support which will be interesting to at least try given the weight of the full size cabinet and all of the DOF + SSF devices in it.

Wrong.
    My HP Reverb G2 has zero screen door effect. With a resolution of 2160 x 2160 per eye, it is beyond 4K. It's also a comfortable headset with good audio. For single player VR rocks! I also find VP to be lacking in graphics. But I don't really notice this in VR. This will change in time with the use of modern 3d graphic engines, but we are not there yet. If you dig it, all the power to you. I have 9 real pins for multiplayer. A VR setup will add a unique experience for my pinhead gatherings. Nobody I know has experienced it yet.
    As far as weight and room for DOF and SSF, all you have to do is build the stubby cab larger. Less than half the length of a real cab will suffice and you can add all the weight you want. Those early ultra-thin Pinsim designs were just stupid.
    BTW, I plan to mount two 32 inch displays on wall mounts in portrait for VPX and FX3. No need for a full cab.

#283 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Is HP REverb G2 better than Oculus Quest 2?

Hell yes! And the price has dropped to 400.00 USD. You will spend this much or more on a Quest 2 by the time you upgrade the pathetic head strap and buy the link cable. Also, FaceBook will watch you. F**k Face Book!

#285 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok Im going to get it and try it, does it require a PC?

Of course! But so does the Quest 2 or any other head set for VR pinball or any high end games like Half Life Alex. Keep in mind, this is a Windows Mixed Reality compatible head set. You will launch VR pinball through Steam VR. I don't really like the controllers of the G2 for 1st person shooter type games, but if using for flight sims, racing sims, or any cockpit type game or VR pinball where you are using different controllers, it's irrelevant.
    Also, you will need to build a PC with high end specs to run 4K games. The G2 needs to run at 90Hz as well. So I wouldn't use anything less than a RTX 3080 or wait for the next gen Radeon RDNA3 7000 series video cards to come out next month.

#286 1 year ago

My only problem at this point with VPXVR is that it's poorly optimized and held together with duct tape. It needs a lot of refining. Not for the meek.

#289 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Have to say wrong, sorry but there is still a screen door effect with the HP Reverb G2 and it's most noticeable when looking at insert text in VR pinball. Maybe when we get to 8K or 16k VR displays the screen door effect will finally be gone. 4K is great but the problem is VR headset users are looking at a display 1" from their eye balls so of course they will see pixels lol.
    VR is a cool concept but IMO it's still a novelty like a theme park ride. I want to play pinball without a headset, easily grab a beer, glance over to my TV where the football game is on, etc as well those are examples of how real pinball is played. Also playing VR pinball with friends or family just sounds odd. "You're up, here's my sweaty headset". Those are a few reasons why there's still a demand for full size vpins.
    Not sure why all of a sudden there's a couple people here bashing full size cabinets in what is an Ultra VP Club thread...Please take the bashing to the general virtual pinball thread.

- No screen Door effect for me, so not sure how you set up yours. Not sure what you're calling screen door effect?
    - I said VR is a single player experience. Mostly for me. As I stated, I have real pinball for multiplayer.
    - I don't watch football or TV when playing pinball LOL! I prefer to focus on my game.
    - VR makes sense for me. I like it. So what"s the problem?
    - I like how you call other peoples opinions "bashing" because you don't agree with them! Seems you have a lot of opinions.

#291 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Yes I do not think Panzer is bashing but wondering what non Ultra VP owners are doing in this thread? Do you own a Ultra VP or are you considering purchasing one? There is a thread devoted to virtual pinball that may be more suited for debate.
    I also agree with Panzer about the VR opinion. I can't see myself strapping some device on my head and finding it enjoyable. I played VR arcade games for a day or two and it got stale super fast(novelty wore off quick). I could be wrong and VR could be viable in the future but for now the virtual pinball feels the best in a regular cab(not just a screen thrown up on the wall) mimicking the real pinball machines with DOF+SOF. Really can't see strapping a device on my head for enjoyment-plus if I got caught wearing one of those devices-I may never get laid again

Fair enough!
    But, at nearly 59 years old, I doubt a headset is going to affect my sex life!

#293 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

The reason I left the Virtual pin thread was because you would always downvote anytime anyone mentioned the Ultra VP. Now you bring it over to here comparing $400 goggles to a 10k mechanical machine. There is no comparison. Please go away.

B.S. Care to show me where that was? You have me confused with someone else apparently.
    But I did notice you had several down thumbs on that thread.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club?tu=Viggin900

Also, I never made any comparison to the Ultra VP. I was simply responding to comments made here about VR pinball. If you can't have a reasonable conversation without making false accusations, then that's on you!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Outlane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultra-vp-club-virtualist-welcome?tu=Mr_Outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.