Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 683 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 days ago by jmatlack
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vp_IMG_0125 (resized).jpg
    2024-02-02 20.42.25 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2607 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2581 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2609 (resized).jpeg
    pretty good.gif
    IMG_0905 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    Pam (resized).jpg
    20230701_011237 (resized).jpg
    20230701_005223 (resized).jpg
    20230701_003547 (resized).jpg
    20230630_235903 (resized).jpg
    ok ok ok (resized).jpg
    LW (resized).jpg
    There are 683 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
    #101 1 year ago

Joined the club and made a deal for the last two new 5.0 Ultra VP's. I already am starting a favorite list and there are some great tables with unique layouts. I am getting all sorts of ideas in my head for possible future builds based on some of the virtual tables features. One game in particular has a steel ramp pitched sideways-I thought to myself-that would be a cool feature for a real table.

Very happy with the Ultra VP and the service and support has been fantastic!

-What tables are your favorites?

DSC00381 (resized).JPGDSC00381 (resized).JPGDSC00446 (resized).JPGDSC00446 (resized).JPGDSC00456 (resized).JPGDSC00456 (resized).JPG

DSC00451 (resized).JPGDSC00451 (resized).JPG
    #102 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Joined the club and made a deal for the last two new 5.0 Ultra VP's. I already am starting a favorite list and there are some great tables with unique layouts. I am getting all sorts of ideas in my head for possible future builds based on some of the virtual tables features. One game in particular has a steel ramp pitched sideways-I thought to myself-that would be a cool feature for a real table.
    Very happy with the Ultra VP and the service and support has been fantastic!
    -What tables are your favorites?
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Awesome! Congrats on the purchase. As an owner of real pins how do you feel that the tables play with the DOF and SSF features?

Did Roland ship your game with the 2.0 software? If so, it may be on the other as well, check out the Lord of the Rings Valinor edition. Any of the VPW based tables should play great as well.

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Awesome! Congrats on the purchase

Hey buddy-it was all thanks to you. I knew I needed to find a machine with a properly integrated platform and Ultra is the machine. The amount of time spent on perfecting the platform is what sold me. I wanted a plug and play machine that runs as smooth as butter and that is exactly what I got. The DOF and SSF features are amazing and I would not purchase a virtual machine without them. I also had Roland add actual solenoids for flippers to get a louder more realistic feel and sound. I then tested next to one of my actual machines and the difference was marginal. Very happy camper and am glad I have been lurking in the virtual threads-educating myself.

#104 1 year ago

Man cant wait for my 6.0 then!

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Man cant wait for my 6.0 then!

It will blow you away!

Hey I even got my kids to play some pinball-the Harry Potter table is awesome!

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Did Roland ship your game with the 2.0 software?

Yes, fully loaded and amazing

#107 1 year ago

Do you have to specificcally request real solenoids on the flippers?

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Do you have to specificcally request real solenoids on the flippers?

Yes and it is an extra charge

Many would be happy with the ones that come stock as well, but wanted it as real as possible. Only problem is the solenoids are more susceptible to burn out with heavy use and may need replacement eventually(although Roland said unlikely).

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Yes and it is an extra charge
    Many would be happy with the ones that come stock as well, but wanted it as real as possible. Only problem is the solenoids are more susceptible to burn out with heavy use and may need replacement eventually(although Roland said unlikely).

Yeah I think that's one reason why those Siemens Contactors are used for the flippers as opposed to solenoids. I can see the solenoids being much louder and more realistic sounding like you said, definitely something to consider.

Quoted from pinmister:

Hey buddy-it was all thanks to you. I knew I needed to find a machine with a properly integrated platform and Ultra is the machine. The amount of time spent on perfecting the platform is what sold me. I wanted a plug and play machine that runs as smooth as butter and that is exactly what I got. The DOF and SSF features are amazing and I would not purchase a virtual machine without them. I also had Roland add actual solenoids for flippers to get a louder more realistic feel and sound. I then tested next to one of my actual machines and the difference was marginal. Very happy camper and am glad I have been lurking in the virtual threads-educating myself.

Haha thanks! That is great to hear, sounds awesome! Oh, I heard a couple people say that you don't really feel the ball hitting the flipper, does that seem just like a minor annoyance with everything else still going on with the DOF + SSF devices?

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Yes, fully loaded and amazing

Awesome! There's a lot of updates with the 2.0 update from what I heard. I think there's now even a VPW category?

#111 1 year ago

I just sent him an email I would rather have real solenoids hopefully its not too late to get them instead.

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I just sent him an email I would rather have real solenoids hopefully its not too late to get them instead.

I would think he would be able to, not sure if any 6.0 units have gone out yet. I'm going to stick with contactors for now as I'm often holding a flipper in the up position during games.

#113 1 year ago

Do a video of the 2.0 software and the solenoids!!

#114 1 year ago

Solenoids would be a nice feature but I can see them getting toasted as much play I have on the machine. The feel of the ball on the flipper is the only thing lacking but you get used to it and doesn't change the game play.
    They seem to be very thurough, thats why you only get updates every 5 months or so. If its anything like my 5.0 was, once they are ready they flow out to everyone in a hurry. Fingers crossed you don't wait much longer.
    Yes the Harry Potter should be made into a real game.

#115 1 year ago

I'm hearing about some 6.0 games shipping, they are starting to go out.

I've debated this entire time about cancelling my order and getting another real pin instead but have decided to move forward with getting an Ultra VP 6.0. It's the whole value thing that has been my hold up, realistically I know this thing will be worth half the value in 5-10 years. I finally realized I can't look at it that way, this purchase is an investment in fun. We buy phones, TV's, speakers, vehicles, golf club memberships, boats, and more items that don't maintain their value but there is value in the enjoyment we get out of those things. This isn't any different and I've happily accepted it. As much as I would like another physical pin I really want to play dozens of pins that I know I'll never get a chance to own.

In anyone is also wondering about value regarding vpins check out the video below of someone building a very nice virtual pin. The video goes into detail about the cost of the build. This builder had some of the parts, got some used / discounted, and still spent $4K. The Ultra VP has more features, DOF solenoids / contactors, higher end hardware, and cost a bit more then double which I don't think is that bad considering everything works out of the box. Just as the author of the video said this is an investment in fun.

#116 1 year ago

Man Im pretty excited about this machine, games Im mostly interested in would be some old school ones like Diner, Taxi, maybe Dredd, Robocop,

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've debated this entire time about cancelling my order and getting another real pin instead but have decided to move forward with getting an Ultra VP 6.0. It's the whole value thing that has been my hold up, realistically I know this thing will be worth half the value in 5-10 years. I finally realized I can't look at it that way, this purchase is an investment in fun. We buy phones, TV's, speakers, vehicles, golf club memberships, boats, and more items that don't maintain their value but there is value in the enjoyment we get out of those things. This isn't any different and I've happily accepted it. As much as I would like another physical pin I really want to play dozens of pins that I know I'll never get a chance to own.
    In anyone is also wondering about value regarding vpins check out the video below of someone building a very nice virtual pin. The video goes into detail about the cost of the build. This builder had some of the parts, got some used / discounted, and still spent $4K. The Ultra VP has more features, DOF solenoids / contactors, higher end hardware, and cost a bit more then double which I don't think is that bad considering everything works out of the box. Just as the author of the video said this is an investment in fun.

Yeah I dont plan on getting much out of the VP if I ever sell my 6.0, but Im sure its fun! I want to see some footage!

#117 1 year ago

Looks like these are rolling out towards customers now!

#118 1 year ago

RRW has put out a 6.0 overview video. Looks like the video was just uploaded as its only 480p currently.

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:RRW has put out a 6.0 overview video. Looks like the video was just uploaded as its only 480p currently.

Looks good to me !

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Looks good to me !

Yup! I like the other subtle improvements made to the new 6.0 models, very nice. The all plywood design is a welcomed change, it was nice seeing that even any wood pieced mounted inside the cabinet are also plywood. From what I've read plywood should also provide better SSF feedback versus MDF. Either model is still great of course, just nice to see the 6.0 upgrades.

The new software update looks really nice. It's awesome that a dedicated VPW category is in the game!

#121 1 year ago

Hey everyone. I ordered a VP machine and it should come in a month or two from now!

Does anyone here know where I can find resources on how to make my own virtual pinball games (not machines, but games for the machines)? I hear that the games for VP tables are made by pinball enthusiasts. So it appears to be an amateur hobby, but I find it funny that I can't find any information when I search for it on the net. Perhaps I'm not using the right terms, or perhaps it's not popular enough to surface to the top of my results list. Any informational links would be very much appreciated!

#122 1 year ago

1080p version of the 6.0 video is now available, looks much better versus the original 480p upload. Game looks great!

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

1080p version of the 6.0 video is now available, looks much better versus the original 480p upload. Game looks great!

Only way to know further is actually get one in our hands! ANyone get a ship confirmation yet!

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Once you get yours, your worries of investment will be over. You hit the nail on the head. I would argue that it is the true pinball enthusiest who take the VP plunge as we have. If you lost money on buying real pins this hobby and this website would be less than half. It is the true players who seek out to play all the tables and enjoy the game.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from ComboChuck:

So it appears to be an amateur hobby, but I find it funny that I can't find any information when I search for it on the net. Perhaps I'm not using the right terms, or perhaps it's not popular enough to surface to the top of my results list. Any informational links would be very much appreciated!

Good question, there isn't much of anything out there. I'm a cgi artist and would like to design my own in the future as well. All I have found is this starter document by Scottywic and Orbital pinball. They seem to be the only ones making an effort. Masterclass of this would be awesome! I got this info from the credit screen on Stranger Things. https://docs.orbitalpin.com/table-planner

#126 1 year ago

Ah so close to pulling the trigger. Would love to hear your thoughts once you start getting your 6.0s in!

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from bdp5:

Ah so close to pulling the trigger. Would love to hear your thoughts once you start getting your 6.0s in!

Will do. Also will send ya a PM with some thoughts I read of another person who recently tried a 6.0 unit at Rec Room World's facility.

#128 1 year ago

Its pretty cool that he is helping sell used 5.0 units if someone wants to get 6.0 on their website.

#129 1 year ago

The 2.0 software is really loaded and navigating through the different menus and genres is great. Finding some excellent tables and the whole family is enjoying it. My wife has been playing it everyday and has been turning on the machine herself(unheard of). She has really been enjoying the re-themed Beatles table featuring ABBA(fun table). We crank it up and the room becomes an instant disco. She also likes Grease, Taylor Swift, etc. I have been digging multiple custom tables including Harry Potter, Tom and Jerry, and some tables that remind me of TNA with excellent sounds and music.

So many tables to explore, and I am enjoying the journey. Glad I got into the virtual pinball scene

#130 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

The 2.0 software is really loaded and navigating through the different menus and genres is great. Finding some great tables and the whole family is enjoying it. My wife has been playing it everyday and has been turning on the machine herself(unheard of). She has really been enjoying the re-themed Beatles table featuring ABBA(fun table). We crank it up and the room becomes an instant disco. She also likes Grease, Taylor Swift, etc. I have been digging multiple custom tables including Harry Potter, Tom and Jerry, and some tables that remind me of TNA with excellent sounds and music.
    So many tables to explore, and I am enjoying the journey. Glad I got into the virtual pinball scene

Awesome! That's great to hear. The variety is a big reason why I'm getting into the vpin scene as well, just so much to play. Hopefully my order will be going out within the next few weeks. I'm still debating on going with the solenoid upgrade option for the flippers, it sounds tempting.

Oh, definitely check out the new VPW category that is with the 2.0 update, those are some of the best recreations out there.

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm still debating on going with the solenoid upgrade option for the flippers, it sounds tempting.

What you may do is have them include an extra set to install yourself if you decide you want them. They are not that expensive and are easy to install. I have been holding down the flippers for multi-ball,etc. and have not had any issues yet. The sounds and feel of the solenoids are realistic for sure and I am happy I went with them.

#132 1 year ago

Great news: my Ultra VP 6.0 arrived today!!

D3D91951-76EE-41DB-AE79-7623C17270CF (resized).jpegD3D91951-76EE-41DB-AE79-7623C17270CF (resized).jpeg
    #133 1 year ago
    Quoted from MulderItsMe:

Great news: my Ultra VP 6.0 arrived today!![quoted image]

POST VIDEO!

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from MulderItsMe:

Great news: my Ultra VP 6.0 arrived today!![quoted image]

Awesome! Congrats. Please definitely let us know what ya think. Did you stick with the default 24v contactors or swap out with solenoids for the flippers?

#135 1 year ago

New video from RRW is up, contactors vs solenoids for flippers.

I'm pretty sure these are the Red solenoid version used in the video above and posted from Scantron5k on YouTube. What I like about these versus the black solenoids is that they sound slightly different compared to the others and the higher pitch sound of them actually comes across as more like a flipper IMO. Still trying to decide what to do. Either way it's a fairly easy / cheap swap out using the components below, around $40.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GQY92H3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

Voltage reducer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N1758FT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2

In the video below the Ultra VP owner has installed the SW3 red solenoids above. Personally I think those sound great. I ended up ordering 4 (2 as a backup) and 2 of the Voltage reducers so I can try them out versus the contactors.

#136 1 year ago

Another new video, Standard Leaf versus GoldLeaf.

#137 1 year ago

You know what was cool is that they throw in the gold wire flipper buttons with the leaf switches. Interested in what people think of that vs leaf. I would think the leaf is realistic with a slight delay like in real life rather than arcade instant feel.

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

New video from RRW is up, contactors vs solenoids for flippers

Looks like that was my machine being tested. I was going to go with the red ones but with a bad batch being sent from Amazon-decided to stick with the black one's that have been proven to perform and are used for other locations in the machine.

For those receiving their machines-be careful attaching your legs. The cabinet decals are susceptible for wrinkling and I had to find a good way to avoid the decals getting wrinkled. I found when I dropped the machine back to the floor from the pinball cart-the force would wrinkle the decals. I ended up using protectors and lowering very carefully. If they do wrinkle-easy to get out with a credit card or plastic scraper. I would almost recommend cutting the decals out around the legs first before attaching them.

#139 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

One game in particular has a steel ramp pitched sideways-I thought to myself-that would be a cool feature for a real table.

Let's talk about Blood Machines

Ok- I am seriously cracking out on this game. It is flippin amazing!

The geometry of the ramp flipped sideways has me thinking this should be implemented on a real table(trying to hit it-is super fun).

Super cool table...

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Looks like that was my machine being tested. I was going to go with the red ones but with a bad batch being sent from Amazon-decided to stick with the black one's that have been proven to perform and are used for other locations in the machine.
    For those receiving their machines-be careful attaching your legs. The cabinet decals are susceptible for wrinkling and I had to find a good way to avoid the decals getting wrinkled. I found when I dropped the machine back to the floor from the pinball cart-the force would wrinkle the decals. I ended up using protectors and lowering very carefully. If they do wrinkle-easy to get out with a credit card or plastic scraper. I would almost recommend cutting the decals out around the legs first before attaching them.

Good to know, thank you for the heads up! Yeah it looks like RRW just covers the whole cabinet at the corners. What I'll be doing is similar to what you said. I ordered a set of metal cabinet protectors that will be screwed into the cabinet, a set of felt protectors will go over that, this is just how JJP does it as below (GNR). I'll line up the metal protector and cut the decal part around it with a hobby knife.

Here's everything I ordered for my Ultra VP.

Cabinet protectors: https://www.pinballlife.com/metal-cabinet-protectors-set-of-4.html
    Felt cabinet protectors: https://www.pinballlife.com/felt-cabinet-protectors-set-of-4.html
    1TB SSD (same model that RRW uses, used as backup): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F6W1WP3
    SSD cloner (same model RRW uses): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K7GXMTC

Screenshot 2022-07-23 134118 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-07-23 134118 (resized).jpg

#141 1 year ago

In case you are wondering how this pin looks in a line up next to originals you can't tell the difference. Camera doesn't quite do it justice. 4k and and you get the color DMD display in all the games!

20220724_014052 (resized).jpg20220724_014052 (resized).jpg
    #142 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

In case you are wondering how this pin looks in a line up next to originals you can't tell the difference. Camera doesn't quite do it justice. 4k and and you get the color DMD display in all the games!
    [quoted image]

FWIW that's not a color DMD.

#143 1 year ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

FWIW that's not a color DMD.

Yeah, I think he means the Color DMD effect in a good number of games as that display is a Stern Spike 2 era size LCD. Looks like that game is the Munsters tribute table, definitely need to try that one.

#144 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Let's talk about Blood Machines
    Ok- I am seriously cracking out on this game. It is flippin amazing!
    The geometry of the ramp flipped sideways has me thinking this should be implemented on a real table(trying to hit it-is super fun).
    Super cool table...

Looking forward to trying this one, been hearing a lot about it. The VPIN Workshop team seems to be knocking it out of the park with every release.

#145 1 year ago

Mine coming August, cant wait, need to make room now.

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Mine coming August, cant wait, need to make room now.

Nice! Ours may be arriving around the same time. I was told that artwork is going to be applied to mine this week so maybe late this week or likely next week for shipping.

Also, heads up to anyone that needs to remove the backbox, there's a new video up from RRW on how to remove the backbox on 6.0 units. The head of the Ultra VP is wider then regular pins, I'll need to remove mine as it's too wide to get down my basement door opening. Doesn't look too difficult.

#147 1 year ago

The feedback so far on 6.0 owners is amazing, cant wait to actually see one in person!

#148 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

The feedback so far on 6.0 owners is amazing, cant wait to actually see one in person!

Yeah! I just noticed on the Facebook group that someone posted screenshots of an FPS counter running on the Ultra VP 6.0. The monitor is outputting at 120fps (or very close to it, within 1 or 2 frames) which is good to see confirmed.

#149 1 year ago

Just got an email and text from Roland about my game shipping, it’s arriving this Wednesday or Thursday. I’ll post of bunch of details and thoughts about the game when it gets here.

Update: Looks like my Ultra VP 6.0 is going on a bit of a detour...noticed it was heading south away from Michigan on the tracking site. Called customer service and they said it looks like it was misloaded or something and now won't be here until the weekend before then being scheduled for delivery likely early next week.

#150 1 year ago

For those of you who also own actual Stern/Bally/Willliams pins, how is the flipper lag on the Ultra? I feel like every virtual pin I've tried to date, I've had to adjust my timing, because there's always a little bit of a lag between flipper button press, and actual flip on the screen.

I love the value that this represents, allowing me to "visit" the classics from the past, but flipper lag is a real big deal to me.

Would love your thoughts on this topic as it pertains to the Ultra. TIA!

There are 683 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultra-vp-club-virtualist-welcome/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.