Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 683 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by jmatlack
  • Topic is favorited by 69 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vp_IMG_0125 (resized).jpg
    2024-02-02 20.42.25 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2607 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2581 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2609 (resized).jpeg
    pretty good.gif
    IMG_0905 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    Pam (resized).jpg
    20230701_011237 (resized).jpg
    20230701_005223 (resized).jpg
    20230701_003547 (resized).jpg
    20230630_235903 (resized).jpg
    ok ok ok (resized).jpg
    LW (resized).jpg

There are 683 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 14.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from MulderItsMe:

Rec Room World announced they upgraded to version 6.0 of their Ultra VP.
    Plywood instead of MDF
    120hz 4K, this is key
    Better graphics card
    Williams style shooter rod
    VR support supposedly
    I pretty much ran out of “well if they just changed this one little thing…”
    So I ordered one! Now I just have to be patient until June.

Nice! I felt the same way with the previous units, they are amazing but I was on the fence due to wanting a 120hz display, and a 3000 series card. Ok so they did that plus made a switch to 3/4" plywood cabinets and added a Williams style plunger. Ok done lol, just preordered one today.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Nice! I felt the same way with the previous units, they are amazing but I was on the fence due to wanting a 120hz display, and a 3000 series card. Ok so they did that plus made a switch to 3/4" plywood cabinets and added a Williams style plunger. Ok done lol, just preordered one today.

Nice!!!!!!

I cant think of anything else on my wishlist.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

Nice!!!!!!
    I cant think of anything else on my wishlist.

Same! I’m interested in seeing what type of LG 120hz display will be used in the 6.0 units. I assume it’s native 120hz, not the fake 120hz true motion that really runs at 60hz which would be pointless. The 6.0 model details states “our 49” LG 4K industrial playfield monitor now features 120hz driver boards by default”.

Also heard that new updated software is coming with the 6.0 cabinets, version 2.0.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Same! I’m interested in seeing what type of LG 120hz display will be used in the 6.0 units. I assume it’s native 120hz, not the fake 120hz true motion that really runs at 60hz which would be pointless. The 6.0 model details states “our 49” LG 4K industrial playfield monitor now features 120hz driver boards by default”.

I am sure Roland would tell us....

#55 1 year ago

I am sure Roland would tell us....

I emailed Roland to ask. He said the new screen is 120hz native and will be connected using a display port 1.4 cable. Display port 1.4 does support 4K@120hz.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Sounds like a reasonable time line. We're super close to perfection but not quite there.
    I want to see 1/4 length cabinets that are just basically a box for the computer and solenoid effects, no giant LCD screen. Instead a screen on the wall can mirror the action to everyone else in the room, and then a VR headset to play the games.
    Now imagine putting your headset on and you're at the original Museum of Pinball in Banning. You can walk around in a totally immersive 3D space and see the entire collection. Walk up to any game and start playing it in perfect 3D with the finger feel of real solenoids in the cabinet. All this in 8k 120hz VR with 3D sound. The hardware for this experience is so close but making a really good VR world experience like that will take some serious development work.
    The VR pinball experiences I've had so far are fun and novel but without the cabinet and solenoid effects it's super video-gamey. Also you need really high-res headsets and powerful GPU's which make it cost nearly as much as a NIB just for the computer hardware.
    In the mean time I'm keeping floor space reserved for real games. I've seen the 1/4 length VR cabs from an Aussie distro but there were no solenoid effects. Wonder if someone will eventually market one like that in the US.

There’s a few issues with VR pinball and why I would still take a full size dedicated virtual pinball cabinet over it. I built a PinSim, basically the first quarter of a pinball machine, for VR pinball. The concept is cool but it feels like a novelty, something you want to do for a few minutes and then be over with (like a carnival ride).

It’s cool seeing a TZ up close in VR as if it’s right in front of you. However, after a minute you realize that the text of all the inserts is blurry unless you look at them very close, wearing a headset after a few minutes isn’t fun, and there’s 0 social aspect with wearing a VR headset.

A Pinsim also lacks the weight of a real pin and doesn’t have the space / length of a proper SSF + DOF setup as seen on the Ultra VP or cabinets from Xtreme Gaming Cabinets. Hell if you want to have a beer and glance over at the TV for the sports game that’s on forget it with VR pinball lol. Finally I’m not a fan of the field of view in VR headsets, it’s far too low and makes you feel like you are looking through an old viewfinder or binoculars. Sure there’s something like the Pimax out there with a large field of view but reviews are generally not great, it seems buggy, and it weighs far more then typical VR headsets. Finally finally lol, VR headsets have a rather small sweet spot, an area in the middle of your field of vision that is in focus, the area around it looks out of focus.

The Ultra VP 6.0 is supposed to support VR pinball. It’s going to be interesting to see how that works with something like the Ultra VP. With the size and weight of a full sized cabinet it may be neat to try from time to time.

With all of this being said I think one of the reasons why real pinball is so popular is that it exists in the real world with real physics / mechs. Wearing a headset, even the best of them, takes you out of the real world. Something like the Ultra VP while digital is trying to keep you in the real world as much as possible with all of the mechanical mechs, features, and weight of a real pinball machine.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Display port 1.4 does support 4K@120hz.

Hi can you say your source/experience for this?

Some quick googling came back with “DisplayPort 1.4 is more than capable of 4K 120Hz”

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from MulderItsMe:

Hi can you say your source/experience for this?
    Some quick googling came back with “DisplayPort 1.4 is more than capable of 4K 120Hz”

I was just doing some research online regarding display port 1.4 and what it can output. Below is an article from PC Mag about HDMI vs display port. DP 1.3 can apparently do 120hz@4K, 1.4 has the same capability but can also output 60hz@8K. It seems that display port is also preferred for connections to monitors / PC’s for a few reasons listed in the article. DP cables have a more secure connector (press down to release) versus HDMI and using them in multi monitor setups, as with the Ultra VP, seems preferred over HDMI as well.

The good news is that RRW seems to be all over properly setting up a 120hz@4K virtual pin. I originally had concerns that the newest display was 60hz and then using some fake true motion 120hz but that thankfully isn’t the case.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/hdmi-vs-displayport-which-should-i-use-for-my-pc-monitor

#59 1 year ago

I played a few Virtual cabinets at TPF - they were interesting, but I didn't catch the refresh rate or resolution of the display - I had a really hard time tracking the ball; Is it safe to assume that the 120Hz refresh rates helps to deal with this? I thought the force feedback and other features were really solid

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I played a few Virtual cabinets at TPF - they were interesting, but I didn't catch the refresh rate or resolution of the display - I had a really hard time tracking the ball; Is it safe to assume that the 120Hz refresh rates helps to deal with this? I thought the force feedback and other features were really solid

it was the older version....new one has lots of great enhancements.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yes, more fluid motion with 120hz versus 60hz. 60hz seems fine but with how fast a digital pinball is moving on screen there appears to be a bit of a tearing / blurring affect on the ball while in motion, a 120hz display helps significantly reduce that affect.

What did you think of the gameplay of the virtual pins you played at TPF? I know Rec Room World was there but not sure who else. Personally I'm buying an Ultra VP as a way to play pins from the pre LCD era as I'll never have the space, or funds, to get 50+ games from that time period.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes, more fluid motion with 120hz versus 60hz. 60hz seems fine but with how fast a digital pinball is moving on screen there appears to be a bit of a tearing / blurring affect on the ball while in motion, a 120hz display helps significantly reduce that affect.
    What did you think of the gameplay of the virtual pins you played at TPF? I know Rec Room World was there but not sure who else. Personally I'm buying an Ultra VP as a way to play pins from the pre LCD era as I'll never have the space, or funds, to get 50+ games from that time period.

I want to play the 70's and 80's ones/// Grew up in those times....great memories.

I dont think any other main company was there....researched all 4 and just rec room was there.. maybe a one off...didnt see it .

#63 1 year ago

I want to play the 70's and 80's ones/// Grew up in those times....great memories.
    I dont think any other main company was there....researched all 4 and just rec room was there.. maybe a one off...didnt see it .

Oh yeah, some great games from that time period. What artwork are you thinking of going with? I'm debating on going with something like what the OP originally posted as it represents a lot of different games or something based on a real pin (perhaps Medieval).

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Oh yeah, some great games from that time period. What artwork are you thinking of going with? I'm debating on going with something like what the OP originally posted as it represents a lot of different games or something based on a real pin (perhaps Medieval).

I have like 5 choices....lol.

The mush up and each side different is one idea. Most do same for both sides...

I do like Theater of Magic, twilight zone . Its hard as mine will be seen from both sides..

#65 1 year ago

The artwork I went with was collage. Mostly because if I was to ever put it on location up the street at the local bar or country club it would draw curiosity. After all it does have a functioning coin mech and door. Maybe later on in life it will be on location to make a few extra $?
    Most games have feedback, some don't but I believe its because of the designer? If I can figure out how to change the ability I will let you know.
    First game to check out. CarToons. This is why there is VR pinball. A rusty ball and peeled playfield from a junkyard. Hit the cockroach scrambling under the the slings for a second score. The ball makes a rolling sound across the wood playfield I swear it was real. This is why Virtual rocks and no one could make this game in reality. The possibilities are endless.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

The artwork I went with was collage. Mostly because if I was to ever put it on location up the street at the local bar or country club it would draw curiosity. After all it does have a functioning coin mech and door. Maybe later on in life it will be on location to make a few extra $?
    Most games have feedback, some don't but I believe its because of the designer? If I can figure out how to change the ability I will let you know.
    First game to check out. CarToons. This is why there is VR pinball. A rusty ball and peeled playfield from a junkyard. Hit the cockroach scrambling under the the slings for a second score. The ball makes a rolling sound across the wood playfield I swear it was real. This is why Virtual rocks and no one could make this game in reality. The possibilities are endless.

Very cool. Got a few pics ??

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I thought they were “ok” - I played TAF (both the commercial cab and the Homebrew virtual. The Homebrew one was better, but I still struggled to time my shots even to do basic stuff. It might just be an adjustment like when switching from a Stern to a Bally game, but I couldnt quite get it down.

The commercial version (the older one i guess) felt unplayable to me - to be fair, I didn’t spend too much time on it, and I don’t know which model I played - but everything felt sluggish and laggy to me.

I do quite like the idea of getting one to play older games I would never have the chance to - especially 80s SS games I am finding it super hard to find. I think I’d max out at $4k for these though - or DIY it. The video cards are crazy expensive though

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I thought they were “ok” - I played TAF (both the commercial cab and the Homebrew virtual. The Homebrew one was better, but I still struggled to time my shots even to do basic stuff. It might just be an adjustment like when switching from a Stern to a Bally game, but I couldnt quite get it down.
    The commercial version (the older one i guess) felt unplayable to me - to be fair, I didn’t spend too much time on it, and I don’t know which model I played - but everything felt sluggish and laggy to me.
    I do quite like the idea of getting one to play older games I would never have the chance to - especially 80s SS games I am finding it super hard to find. I think I’d max out at $4k for these though - or DIY it. The video cards are crazy expensive though

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm not sure if that was the Ultra VP that was played, have never heard of lag and or unplayable gameplay before from owner feedback I've read. Maybe it was a different virtual cabinet.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm not sure if that was the Ultra VP that was played, have never heard of lag and or unplayable gameplay before from owner feedback I've read. Maybe it was a different virtual cabinet.

Absolutely - I’m really not sure who the vendor was. I don’t want to imply that the games are trash or anything, but it was really hard going from a real game to the same game on the virtual. I had a real hard time tracking the ball on the playfield, and you know, maybe it just wasn’t for me. The presentation was cool though- the extra backbox monitors add a lot of pop and interest.

#70 1 year ago

I've heard of folks who have a VP cab complain of lag but never played one? I will say a few games feel "spongey" on the flippers but I adapt just like every game is different.
    I have the artwork on the first post in this thread. They offered a discount on this one and some others coming off a truck or something. Not sure if they still do it but it saved me $100 or so.

1 week later
    #71 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I've heard of folks who have a VP cab complain of lag but never played one? I will say a few games feel "spongey" on the flippers but I adapt just like every game is different.
    I have the artwork on the first post in this thread. They offered a discount on this one and some others coming off a truck or something. Not sure if they still do it but it saved me $100 or so.

Cool. I like the artwork on your Ultra VP, that's currently the one I have selected for my preorder. As much as I would like game specific artwork there's something about the collage type of artwork representing dozens of games over the years that feels right for something like the Ultra VP.

I'm pumped to get an Ultra VP in my home. Personally I'm going to be using it for all pre LCD era games, will likely never buy another one again, and then stick to only the LCD era for physical pins. On the Ultra VP Facebook group I see people asking about when various LCD games will be released for it...I think the answer is never as there are no traditional roms to base the tables off of unlike pre LCD era games. Tribute tables using custom community created code are the closest people will get for LCD era games but they will never play as well as virtual tables based off of roms. If there are still roms on newer LCD games they are locked behind various security measures which will make accessing them impossible.

#72 1 year ago

All in on an Ultra VP 6.0 now, sent my payment, hoping for a late June or early July delivery. Sold my last DMD era game to make room for the Ultra VP, going to stick with LCD era games for physical pins moving forward.

#73 1 year ago

Used/refurbished machines for sale! Could be an option if they are too expensive for you. Most likely they are my game with earlier specs or were used as demos? I don't know.
    https://www.recroomworld.com/usedultravp.html

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Cool. I like the artwork on your Ultra VP, that's currently the one I have selected for my preorder. As much as I would like game specific artwork there's something about the collage type of artwork representing dozens of games over the years that feels right for something like the Ultra VP.
    I'm pumped to get an Ultra VP in my home. Personally I'm going to be using it for all pre LCD era games, will likely never buy another one again, and then stick to only the LCD era for physical pins. On the Ultra VP Facebook group I see people asking about when various LCD games will be released for it...I think the answer is never as there are no traditional roms to base the tables off of unlike pre LCD era games. Tribute tables using custom community created code are the closest people will get for LCD era games but they will never play as well as virtual tables based off of roms. If there are still roms on newer LCD games they are locked behind various security measures which will make accessing them impossible.

I don't know about security measures for roms but there are many lcd games that are nearly exact like batman 66 and TNA to name a few. Scott Danessi seems willing to share his games with the community. Legends of Valhalla apparently was developed as a VP originally so I can see many of these designers releasing developed games to the community.

1 week later
    #75 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I don't know about security measures for roms but there are many lcd games that are nearly exact like batman 66 and TNA to name a few. Scott Danessi seems willing to share his games with the community. Legends of Valhalla apparently was developed as a VP originally so I can see many of these designers releasing developed games to the community.

That's a good point! I was watching some videos of Batman 66 on the Ultra VP, wow does it look great. I can't believe that table was developed completely from scratch, must have been a ton of work.

#76 1 year ago

There is a game for every occasion.
    "Gonna take you riden to the danger zone."
    The premier!

20220510_231114 (resized).jpg20220510_231114 (resized).jpg
    #77 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

The premier!
    [quoted image]

That table looks great! Can’t wait to get my Ultra VP, hopefully early July.

Is that a table you added? Just curious about the process to add and update tables on your own if you don’t want to wait for an update drive from RRW. For example there’s a new mod out for STTNG that looks incredible. I’m curious how something like below could be added.

https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/10332-star-trek-the-next-generation-mod-nfozzy-fleep-sounds-lut/

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

The premier!
    [quoted image]

Saturday night IMAX center stage....cant wait.

"Feel the Need"

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That table looks great! Can’t wait to get my Ultra VP, hopefully early July.
    Is that a table you added? Just curious about the process to add and update tables on your own if you don’t want to wait for an update drive from RRW. For example there’s a new mod out for STTNG that looks incredible. I’m curious how something like below could be added.
    https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/10332-star-trek-the-next-generation-mod-nfozzy-fleep-sounds-lut/

Hopefully we will eventually have answers to these questions. I'm sure I can figure it out after a little research but I'm too busy learning cgi and 3d printing. Too many stakes in the fire. I have had a look at the sd drive and nothing made much sense to me. I created a backup just in case.

#80 1 year ago

Saturday night IMAX center stage....cant wait.
    "Feel the Need"

"The need for speed!" It's fantastic is all I'm going to say. I am pretty critical and don't fan wagon. I don't see how someone would not like this movie. They somehow pulled it off really really well.

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Hopefully we will eventually have answers to these questions. I'm sure I can figure it out after a little research but I'm too busy learning cgi and 3d printing. Too many stakes in the fire. I have had a look at the sd drive and nothing made much sense to me. I created a backup just in case.

Good idea. I have a backup SSD and clone device ready to go for when my Ultra VP arrives.

1 week later
    #82 1 year ago

PanzerFreak I have an Ultra VP 5.0 - I've had it since October 2021. I ordered it in April 2021 but there was a long delay due to "supply chain issues" - it really was painful waiting so long. These do come from China, but Roland told me he works directly with his supplier there to create the Ultra VP to his specifications. I read you're going to get the 6.0 which will be even better than mine.

I gotta say, the 5.0 I received is simply amazing. It is a wonderful machine for playing virtual pinball, what with all of the force feedback... surround sound (exciters/transducers strategically placed on the inside of the cabinet to make the ball sound like it is traveling where you see it), virtual plunger, several real solenoids that fire when you would expect (for pop bumpers, slingshots), gear motor (enhances the realism, for example Indiana Jones spinning idol or The Addams Family bookcase), shaker motor, RGB lighting, etc. Like you, I always wanted a virtual pinball machine but couldn't imagine building one for myself. The build for these Ultra VPs is top notch - there are switches to turn features off (such as the tilt bob, a switch on the bottom front left of the cabinet lets me turn it off) and it is easy to turn down the intensity of the shaker or gear motors with dials dedicated for such purposes.

As far as updating the Ultra VP with new tables as they are released, it isn't too difficult at all. I've only done it for Visual Pinball mind you, but since those are the best emulations that's all I really play anyways. I scan the vpuniverse and vpforum sites regularly, looking for updated tables that interest me. You mentioned the STTNG update. That one involved downloading the update, which is really a .vpx table script "diff" file. The instructions point you to a URL for the "original" table (without the nfozzy fleep sounds lut updates). You simply download that original table and the "vppatch" tool (also linked in the instructions), run the "vppatch" tool and load the original table plus the diff file for this update. Click the button to basically merge the two and you have a new table. The guy that released that STTNG update has made several updates this way (BoP, Funhouse) but he is the only one I've found that is using this method. Most tables, especially the VPW tables, are complete tables which don't require the "vppatch" tool at all. Oh I should mention my favorite new table is the VPW Lord of the Rings table, with all new amazing art for the playfield and the backglass. It is simply stunning! I've owned the real LOTR table for years in the past and it was always a favorite of mine. This VPW emulation comes mighty close to the real thing!

Visual Pinball table files have a .vpx extension and backglass files have a .directb2s extension. The filenames (up to the .extension) need to match for the emulator to display both the table and the backglass (note, you CAN play a Visual Pinball .vpx table without a .directb2s backglass).

That clone device you bought (recommended by Roland) is really cool. In addition to cloning your drive (which you should do right away), you can connect that device to your home PC or laptop via a USB cable (which it comes with). Plug it in, turn it on with the original (or cloned) drive and you have access to the drive's files from your pc, where you can explore the directory structure. You will find there is a "vPinball" directory at the root level of the drive. This directory contains all of the tables and associated media for all of the emulators used by the Ultra VP. If you're updating a Visual Pinball table, you'll want to go into the subdirectory "VisualPinball". From there, you'll see a "Tables" subdirectory. This is the place you copy any new .vpx (table) and .directb2s (backglass) files.

This directory structure is obviously the same as the one on the Ultra VP. What I do is copy any updated .vpx and .directb2s files to an external hard drive mounted on my home PC - which I use to do all my web surfing and downloading. BTW, I also have Visual Pinball installed on my home PC so I can try out tables quickly there and make any code updates I may want from there, where it is more comfortable (don't worry, you don't have to do a lot of code updates unless you want to!) Then I disconnect the drive and plug it into the Ultra VP. There are USB ports on the bottom of the machine around the soft shutdown button, but I plug a 6' USB 3.0 extension cable into the back of the Ultra VP - there are air vents in the access door that allow the cable to poke through. I just keep that cable connected all the time, and plug my external hard drive into that.

Turn on the Ultra VP and when it boots up into the Pinup Popper menu, just press x. You are then in windows, with a HUGE 49" screen to work from. You have to stand on the left side of the machine with your little wireless keyboard on top. Open windows explorer (I use <windows key>+E to do that) twice. In one explorer window, navigate to your external hard drive. In the other, navigate to the Ultra VP's C:\vPinball\VisualPinball\Tables directory. You can copy your new files right there for brand new tables, because there won't be name conflicts. (If you just want to update an existing table, there is a much easier way by simply using the application "Pinup Popper Config" - ask if you want more details for that.) You can just double-click on your new .vpx table to load and run the table in Visual Pinball to try it out. There may be some things to change in the script that is part of the .vpx file. The Visual Pinball editor will allow for that - you just have to press q twice to quit the table and go back to the editor. Click the "Toggle Script Editor" button in Visual Pinball (upper left side) and the script will appear. Things you may have to change are variables to set the table into "cabinet" mode (vs. desktop mode), etc. The newer tables have a "user config" section at the top to change all kinds of things, like side art vs. black walls. If you change anything, just File/Save the table to keep the changes. You can also use the editor to change the lighting for the whole table (day/night cycle) or even individual bulb brightness. For Twilight Zone, I found the lights around the slingshots were just too bright, so I turned them down and it is so much better. Oh, also for Twilight Zone, the Ultra VP uses "alt sounds" by default. These alternate sounds are done by the original sound engineer Chris Granner but I wanted the original sounds after owning TZ for so long. That change isn't in Visual Pinball itself but is part of VPinMAME. When playing TZ, press the F1 key and a little window will open. Change Alternate Sounds to 0 (from 1 or 2 typically) and it will use native ROM sounds. Also, in that F1 menu, you can't use the mouse, so navigate using arrows or tab and be sure to save your changes. Sorry for the rabbit trail!

If it is a new table you are adding, the next big question is how to get the table in the Pinup Popper menu, which is what starts when you first turn on the machine.

I've written a lot for now and will stop here. If you want more details on these other things, just let me know and I'll explain more. BTW, I'm not an expert or anything, this is just what I've picked up along the way since owning the Ultra VP.

Oh another tip that will help you - when you first turn on your new Ultra VP, hit x after the Pinup Popper menu loads to go to windows. Open a windows explorer. Make a new folder called "backup" on your C:\ drive. Copy the entire "C:\vPinball" directory into this "backup" folder. That way, if you're working on some new update and it goes south, you can just copy the files you modified from that "backup" directory without having to mess with your clone drive.

#83 1 year ago

Great info! Thats about everything. I am happy with the tables it came with and havn't seen much new ones that I like.
    The only problem I have is a couple tables will not start or take credits for some reason randomly? Not always but frequently. Dr. Dude and Elvira party monsters. Is there a fix for this?

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from brannonrad:

PanzerFreak I have an Ultra VP 5.0 - I've had it since October 2021. I ordered it in April 2021 but there was a long delay due to "supply chain issues" - it really was painful waiting so long. These do come from China, but Roland told me he works directly with his supplier there to create the Ultra VP to his specifications. I read you're going to get the 6.0 which will be even better than mine.
    I gotta say, the 5.0 I received is simply amazing. It is a wonderful machine for playing virtual pinball, what with all of the force feedback... surround sound (exciters/transducers strategically placed on the inside of the cabinet to make the ball sound like it is traveling where you see it), virtual plunger, several real solenoids that fire when you would expect (for pop bumpers, slingshots), gear motor (enhances the realism, for example Indiana Jones spinning idol or The Addams Family bookcase), shaker motor, RGB lighting, etc. Like you, I always wanted a virtual pinball machine but couldn't imagine building one for myself. The build for these Ultra VPs is top notch - there are switches to turn features off (such as the tilt bob, a switch on the bottom front left of the cabinet lets me turn it off) and it is easy to turn down the intensity of the shaker or gear motors with dials dedicated for such purposes.
    As far as updating the Ultra VP with new tables as they are released, it isn't too difficult at all. I've only done it for Visual Pinball mind you, but since those are the best emulations that's all I really play anyways. I scan the vpuniverse and vpforum sites regularly, looking for updated tables that interest me. You mentioned the STTNG update. That one involved downloading the update, which is really a .vpx table script "diff" file. The instructions point you to a URL for the "original" table (without the nfozzy fleep sounds lut updates). You simply download that original table and the "vppatch" tool (also linked in the instructions), run the "vppatch" tool and load the original table plus the diff file for this update. Click the button to basically merge the two and you have a new table. The guy that released that STTNG update has made several updates this way (BoP, Funhouse) but he is the only one I've found that is using this method. Most tables, especially the VPW tables, are complete tables which don't require the "vppatch" tool at all. Oh I should mention my favorite new table is the VPW Lord of the Rings table, with all new amazing art for the playfield and the backglass. It is simply stunning! I've owned the real LOTR table for years in the past and it was always a favorite of mine. This VPW emulation comes mighty close to the real thing!
    Visual Pinball table files have a .vpx extension and backglass files have a .directb2s extension. The filenames (up to the .extension) need to match for the emulator to display both the table and the backglass (note, you CAN play a Visual Pinball .vpx table without a .directb2s backglass).
    That clone device you bought (recommended by Roland) is really cool. In addition to cloning your drive (which you should do right away), you can connect that device to your home PC or laptop via a USB cable (which it comes with). Plug it in, turn it on with the original (or cloned) drive and you have access to the drive's files from your pc, where you can explore the directory structure. You will find there is a "vPinball" directory at the root level of the drive. This directory contains all of the tables and associated media for all of the emulators used by the Ultra VP. If you're updating a Visual Pinball table, you'll want to go into the subdirectory "VisualPinball". From there, you'll see a "Tables" subdirectory. This is the place you copy any new .vpx (table) and .directb2s (backglass) files.
    This directory structure is obviously the same as the one on the Ultra VP. What I do is copy any updated .vpx and .directb2s files to an external hard drive mounted on my home PC - which I use to do all my web surfing and downloading. BTW, I also have Visual Pinball installed on my home PC so I can try out tables quickly there and make any code updates I may want from there, where it is more comfortable (don't worry, you don't have to do a lot of code updates unless you want to!) Then I disconnect the drive and plug it into the Ultra VP. There are USB ports on the bottom of the machine around the soft shutdown button, but I plug a 6' USB 3.0 extension cable into the back of the Ultra VP - there are air vents in the access door that allow the cable to poke through. I just keep that cable connected all the time, and plug my external hard drive into that.
    Turn on the Ultra VP and when it boots up into the Pinup Popper menu, just press x. You are then in windows, with a HUGE 49" screen to work from. You have to stand on the left side of the machine with your little wireless keyboard on top. Open windows explorer (I use <windows key>+E to do that) twice. In one explorer window, navigate to your external hard drive. In the other, navigate to the Ultra VP's C:\vPinball\VisualPinball\Tables directory. You can copy your new files right there for brand new tables, because there won't be name conflicts. (If you just want to update an existing table, there is a much easier way by simply using the application "Pinup Popper Config" - ask if you want more details for that.) You can just double-click on your new .vpx table to load and run the table in Visual Pinball to try it out. There may be some things to change in the script that is part of the .vpx file. The Visual Pinball editor will allow for that - you just have to press q twice to quit the table and go back to the editor. Click the "Toggle Script Editor" button in Visual Pinball (upper left side) and the script will appear. Things you may have to change are variables to set the table into "cabinet" mode (vs. desktop mode), etc. The newer tables have a "user config" section at the top to change all kinds of things, like side art vs. black walls. If you change anything, just File/Save the table to keep the changes. You can also use the editor to change the lighting for the whole table (day/night cycle) or even individual bulb brightness. For Twilight Zone, I found the lights around the slingshots were just too bright, so I turned them down and it is so much better. Oh, also for Twilight Zone, the Ultra VP uses "alt sounds" by default. These alternate sounds are done by the original sound engineer Chris Granner but I wanted the original sounds after owning TZ for so long. That change isn't in Visual Pinball itself but is part of VPinMAME. When playing TZ, press the F1 key and a little window will open. Change Alternate Sounds to 0 (from 1 or 2 typically) and it will use native ROM sounds. Also, in that F1 menu, you can't use the mouse, so navigate using arrows or tab and be sure to save your changes. Sorry for the rabbit trail!
    If it is a new table you are adding, the next big question is how to get the table in the Pinup Popper menu, which is what starts when you first turn on the machine.
    I've written a lot for now and will stop here. If you want more details on these other things, just let me know and I'll explain more. BTW, I'm not an expert or anything, this is just what I've picked up along the way since owning the Ultra VP.
    Oh another tip that will help you - when you first turn on your new Ultra VP, hit x after the Pinup Popper menu loads to go to windows. Open a windows explorer. Make a new folder called "backup" on your C:\ drive. Copy the entire "C:\vPinball" directory into this "backup" folder. That way, if you're working on some new update and it goes south, you can just copy the files you modified from that "backup" directory without having to mess with your clone drive.

Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information, this is extremely helpful, much appreciated! I feel less intimidated now to update tables once my Ultra VP arrives. Still hoping for an early July delivery so hopefully not too much longer. Can't wait to get it up and running.

From what I've read and heard from Roland a new software release is coming with the launch of the 6.0 units. There's been a lot of new tables added to the updated tables tab on the spreadsheet below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r4-hBe-YUs8vJApLNWTE5c32UB-XEi5_CAdzR144EF0/edit#gid=1266050450

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Great info! Thats about everything. I am happy with the tables it came with and havn't seen much new ones that I like.
    The only problem I have is a couple tables will not start or take credits for some reason randomly? Not always but frequently. Dr. Dude and Elvira party monsters. Is there a fix for this?

I don't play those games often enough to notice if it is an issue, but I just loaded both of them up and neither one of them gave me an issue at all. They both took coins and started just fine. I know I've played both of those in the past and don't remember any issues back then either.

If you play for a long time, switching games often, I think there are some glitchy things that can happen - especially if you switch emulation types (Visual Pinball vs. Future Pinball vs. FX2 or 3). Probably due to memory leaks or buggy software. I keep my Ultra VP turned off until I'm ready to play, then I typically only play one or two different games (lately LOTR, but sometimes BoP, IJ or whatever has recently been released/updated). Because of that I think, I don't see those strange issues. I do remember seeing that glitchy behavior when I first got the machine, when I was just trying a lot of games to see what they were like. I found out quickly that I enjoy the Visual Pinball emulations the best, so I'm pretty exclusive to that playlist now.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from brannonrad:

If you play for a long time, switching games often, I think there are some glitchy things that can happen - especially if you switch emulation types (Visual Pinball vs. Future Pinball vs. FX2 or 3). Probably due to memory leaks or buggy software. I keep my Ultra VP turned off until I'm ready to play, then I typically only play one or two different games (lately LOTR, but sometimes BoP, IJ or whatever has recently been released/updated). Because of that I think, I don't see those strange issues. I do remember seeing that glitchy behavior when I first got the machine, when I was just trying a lot of games to see what they were like.

See that’s what I was afraid of.

Thanks for the good info brannonrad! I too am patiently/eagerly awaiting my Ultra VP V6.0…

Got the drive cloning dock. Got the spare drives. Got the wherewithal to make a backup before playing the thing for the first time.

I’ve often wondered if these things could survive all-day play or even being put on route. I was afraid that a heavy mixture of switching emulation types would screw something up. Anyone with ideas to bulletproof smooth switching between arbitrary games?

(Probably the fix for putting these on route is paring down from 1000+ tables to 50 popular ones)

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from MulderItsMe:

See that’s what I was afraid of.
    Thanks for the good info brannonrad! I too am patiently/eagerly awaiting my Ultra VP V6.0…
    Got the drive cloning dock. Got the spare drives. Got the wherewithal to make a backup before playing the thing for the first time.
    I’ve often wondered if these things could survive all-day play or even being put on route. I was afraid that a heavy mixture of switching emulation types would screw something up. Anyone with ideas to bulletproof smooth switching between arbitrary games?
    (Probably the fix for putting these on route is paring down from 1000+ tables to 50 popular ones)

Seems like if something goes crazy the best thing to do is reboot lol. Hopefully the new 2.0 update set to launch with 6.0 games has some stability improvements.

Have you been given an ETA for shipping with your 6.0 unit? I'm still hearing early July for mine.

#88 1 year ago

No update or ETA yet. Hopefully soon; supposedly I am in the first wave of v6.0 units.

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from MulderItsMe:

No update or ETA yet. Hopefully soon; supposedly I am in the first wave of v6.0 units.

Cool! I'm in the second wave and have been told early July, hopefully we both get our games within the next 2 months. In the meantime I've noticed that the software devs having been adding and updating a lot of tables.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r4-hBe-YUs8vJApLNWTE5c32UB-XEi5_CAdzR144EF0/edit#gid=435773722

Someone on here was messaging me the other day about these games being a rip off which I completely disagree with. I priced out building a high end virtual pin and it came out to $6.5k - $7.5k. I've read similar stories including one where the guy spent $7k + 200 hours building one...I'll happily pay another $2.5k - $3k for something that works out of the box while still being high end. Wish I had the time and skills to build my own but I don't. Can't wait to get the Ultra VP!

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Cool! I'm in the second wave and have been told early July, hopefully we both get our games within the next 2 months. In the meantime I've noticed that the software devs having been adding and updating a lot of tables.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r4-hBe-YUs8vJApLNWTE5c32UB-XEi5_CAdzR144EF0/edit#gid=435773722
    Someone on here was messaging me the other day about these games being a rip off which I completely disagree with. I priced out building a high end virtual pin and it came out to $6.5k - $7.5k. I've read similar stories including one where the guy spent $7k + 200 hours building one...I'll happily pay another $2.5k - $3k for something that works out of the box while still being high end. Wish I had the time and skills to build my own but I don't. Can't wait to get the Ultra VP!

Home builders love to tell you it can be made cheaper yourself. What they won't tell you or show you theirs. Larger dmd screens, lights that sync, enough solonoids, counter sunk monitor playfield, access to a volume adjuster etc. I have yet to see one that compares to the Ultra VP with features. For whatever reason the 2 pin shiws I have gone to where someone brought there homebuilt, they never got to work because of some update thing spinning on the screen? It didn't give people confidence in pursuing Virtual pinball at the shows.

#91 1 year ago

Hey around July when you all get yours we can try a league thing. One person picks a game and the best score in 2 hours wins? Hopefully we will be able to do this online by next year?

#92 1 year ago

Is anyone selling their 5.0 to buy 6.0?

If so I may be interested

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Is anyone selling their 5.0 to buy 6.0?
    If so I may be interested

There are a couple lightly used and demo 5.0 games for sale on RRW’s site for a decent discount.

1 week later
    #94 1 year ago

Just read on the Ultra VP fan Facebook group that Roland was expecting the first 6.0 units to arrive by late last week. Sounds like RRW is on schedule for 6.0 deliveries.

#95 1 year ago

Screenshot 2022-06-20 195936 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-06-20 195936 (resized).jpg
    287519334_5123081687804780_4496042389686940647_n (resized).jpg287519334_5123081687804780_4496042389686940647_n (resized).jpg
    287498408_5123081534471462_7785273720625972038_n (resized).jpg287498408_5123081534471462_7785273720625972038_n (resized).jpg
    289340830_5123081184471497_135766826900431950_n (resized).jpg289340830_5123081184471497_135766826900431950_n (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #96 1 year ago

Still waiting for mine
    Anyone get a 6.0 yet? I want to see some gameplay footage.

#97 1 year ago

Still waiting as well, seems like the 2.0 software update is still be worked on before games shipped. Looks like the team has a 2.0 to do list posted here that is being worked on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r4-hBe-YUs8vJApLNWTE5c32UB-XEi5_CAdzR144EF0/edit#gid=333022800

#98 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Still waiting as well, seems like the 2.0 software update is still be worked on before games shipped. Looks like the team has a 2.0 to do list posted here that is being worked on.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r4-hBe-YUs8vJApLNWTE5c32UB-XEi5_CAdzR144EF0/edit#gid=333022800

Ah gotcha! Im glad they are making sure things are good before they ship out!

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thank you for the good list.

Originally the thought was that these Rec Room World Ultra VP 6.0 units would go out in May/June.

Now June has come and gone, and we are past a week into July.

There have been no new videos in five months.

We haven't heard of anyone getting theirs yet or being contacted.

Yes there have been some photos posted (a blank/folded/off machine and the outsides of crates).

I am assuming they are still sitting on all units.

I am assuming that version 6.0 of the hardware and version 2.0 of the software have to go out together.

I have no idea how the merger of Rec Room world and VP Cabs impacts any of this.

I have been checking these spots daily:

facebook/recroomworld
    youtube/recroomworld
    youtube/rolandbuck
    instagram/recroomworld
    facebook/virtualpinballmachines

If you are like me, then you appreciate good quality. Good quality does take time.

I am giving myself a pat on the back for being patient.

#100 1 year ago
    Quoted from MulderItsMe:

Thank you for the good list.
    Originally the thought was that these Rec Room World Ultra VP 6.0 units would go out in May/June.
    Now June has come and gone, and we are past a week into July.
    There have been no new videos in five months.
    We haven't heard of anyone getting theirs yet or being contacted.
    Yes there have been some photos posted (a blank/folded/off machine and the outsides of crates).
    I am assuming they are still sitting on all units.
    I am assuming that version 6.0 of the hardware and version 2.0 of the software have to go out together.
    I have no idea how the merger of Rec Room world and VP Cabs impacts any of this.
    I have been checking these spots daily:
    facebook/recroomworld
    youtube/recroomworld
    youtube/rolandbuck
    instagram/recroomworld
    facebook/virtualpinballmachines
    If you are like me, then you appreciate good quality. Good quality does take time.
    I am giving myself a pat on the back for being patient.

Yup, rather any bugs and issues worked out first. It will be well worth the wait from what I'm reading.

There are 683 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultra-vp-club-virtualist-welcome/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.