Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210829_193534 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

The purpose of this club is to establish a group of members interested in purchasing and sharing information on Virtual Pinball, specifically the Ultra VP pin available from Rec Room World.
    https://www.recroomworld.com/virtualpinballmachines.html
    I purchased this machine last week and very enthused to share any information I can with all of you who have a question. I am just a pinball owner for many years who has made the leap to Virtual Pinball. I can post pictures and answer questions from an owner perspective of this specific game but detail software/download stuff I am not as savvy about and hope to meet with others who are.
    Overview : The Ultra VP is a commercially available Virtual Pinball machine and not a homebrew system. For anyone interested in not building their own system and downloading games from sites this is for you!
    The specs are in the link above, this thing has everything, it is built like a tank and the color strips are even inset into the cabinet so they can't be seen from the sides. So far it comes with 348 games or so but this will all change in a few weeks with the big update to POP,4k, and an additional 300 games. I plan to share more when that is available but for now it has not disappointed me with what it presently offers.

1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
    3 months later
    #3 60 days ago

These things are pretty wild! Obviously it can never fully replicate a real game but having all the DOF effects and the ability to play 1000 different games in one cabinet is pretty awesome. Also you get to play all the digital tables that only exist digitally and have never been a "real" pinball.

Question: Is there an effect for magnets? Like the buzzing you get in your hand when a manga-save grabs the ball?
    Also any idea if they can be upgraded to 120hz or higher 4k screens? Or maybe just connect a VR headset?

Not surprised to see this is a pretty dead thread here though, it seems most pinball machine owners have either no interest or a disdain for virtual pins.

#4 59 days ago

There is a magnasave on games using the second button. I cant remember exactly how the feedback was but was convincing. This game is 4K and loaded with every feature.
    Yes, no interest in VP on pinside because once people except it the value and whole market of pins will crash. They wont admit it is a far better investment. I am a traditionalist and have both, its all coming to an end shortly.
    Animated backglass and movie clips, slugfest baseball games, online competitive play coming soon, jukebox feature! You don't have to make your own or do any work. It's game over.

4 weeks later
    #5 29 days ago

I have been considering virtual pinball for some time and this one sounds pretty impressive.

As far as software and computer goes, I am pretty illiterate, so am concerned about any ongoing software issues or is it a case of when it is up and running, there should be no ongoing issues with things such as games not displaying or playing correctly?

#6 28 days ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

I have been considering virtual pinball for some time and this one sounds pretty impressive.
    As far as software and computer goes, I am pretty illiterate, so am concerned about any ongoing software issues or is it a case of when it is up and running, there should be no ongoing issues with things such as games not displaying or playing correctly?

With the new 1.0 that came out last week a couple times the pup display went black. It takes less than a minute to reset it, its the first version so to be expected. Its all set to go when you buy it,I'm pc illiterate. I believe any further updates will be done for you by the bluetooth dongle. Not confirmed but I would imagine online competition will eventually be next.

#7 28 days ago

Picture of WhiteWater. Some of these games are so nice in 4K and cleaned up I prefer them over the original which have dull ramps. Waiting on my digital topper to arrive,I should have gotten it originally. The real waterfall video above will be stunning.

20210829_193534 (resized).jpg
    #8 26 days ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Yes, no interest in VP on pinside because once people except it the value and whole market of pins will crash. They wont admit it is a far better investment. I am a traditionalist and have both, its all coming to an end shortly.
    Animated backglass and movie clips, slugfest baseball games, online competitive play coming soon, jukebox feature! You don't have to make your own or do any work. It's game over.

I'll tell you what?
    We'll wait a couple years and I'll list the resale values of my pins vs. the resale value of your virtual pincab.

2 weeks later
    #9 12 days ago

I'd like to think there's room for both virtual and original pinball machines.
    I love my old 1950s and '60s machine but I am certainly very interested in learning more about this technology

#10 11 days ago
    Quoted from Bill-P:

I'd like to think there's room for both virtual and original pinball machines.
    I love my old 1950s and '60s machine but I am certainly very interested in learning more about this technology

Digital pinball is a video game not a pinball machine and it never will be. I have both including VR.
    Is there room for both? Hell yes!
    Will digital replace real? Hell no!
    Hell, half the fun for me is fixing them up and modding them out and dialing them in! And as far as the OP's comment about online play, my Hobbit already has the option and Stern does now starting with Godzilla. Not that I even want it!

#11 11 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Digital pinball is a video game not a pinball machine and it never will be. I have both including VR.
    Is there room for both? Hell yes!

100% agree. I'm building Vpinball and bought two real pins just today.

#12 11 days ago

I own a real whitewater machine and also just got the new version of the vp ultra. it has 3,000 tables. yes it has gears and rumbling in it for magnates and such, it has a real knocker, a real tilt bob, flipper sounds, you can hear the ball roll on the playfield, surround sound, custom skins, etc., etc. i also have a 19" german made Sharpin hooked up to a nintendo switch and it runs zen fx 3 and has online competition and you can set up your own open or private tournaments. as much as i have loved and love real pinball tables, I play my virtual tables on my iphone, ipad, Sharpin, nintendo switch, and now my Ultra VP from Recroom World much, much, much more. i get the same joy if not more from it, just because of the online competition. the pup video packs are just insanely awesome too. as far as resale value goes, VP pins will go down in value as better technology comes out. older real pinball tables will either stay at their current high state, or become even more valuble

#13 10 days ago

Yeah, after playing this for months I will say this about owning a VP to clarify anyone wanting to buy one.
    A. This will not replace your absolutely favorite games or top 5. I have Metallica,Oktoberfest, Gorgar, and Dr.Dude. I love these games and want to feel the real thing.
    B. This machine will replace all the games you used to own and wish you could still play.
    C. If you enjoy pinball expos wondering around playing all the games you can in a weekend.
    D. The games you like a lot but would never buy because of money or space. Also games that are just cool but not worthy of owning.
    E. If you have a family and kids who you want to get into pinball or enjoy time together. The kids games like Minions and Harry Potter are more suited for them and easier than real pinball.
    F. Themes you wish they made pinball for but they never will. For me its Masters of the Universe and Miami Vice.
    G. I would argue the Halloween and Stranger Things is better than the games that have been produced. Video pup pack assets, authentic call outs and music without the limitations of licensing.
    I could go on about the sports and music themed pinball games but you get the picture.
    Taking all these things in to account along with no mantainance it is a way better deal than a new Stern after another price hike. Manufactures are pricing themselves out of the market as well as older used games. VP is the new alternative and the younger audiance who grew up using ipads can latch on to. 20 years ago antiques were a good investment, now you can't give them away unless its to an older person.
    Trust me, everyone will own a VP along with their favorite pins in 5-8 years.

#14 10 days ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Trust me, everyone will own a VP along with their favorite pins in 5-8 years.

Sounds like a reasonable time line. We're super close to perfection but not quite there.

I want to see 1/4 length cabinets that are just basically a box for the computer and solenoid effects, no giant LCD screen. Instead a screen on the wall can mirror the action to everyone else in the room, and then a VR headset to play the games.

Now imagine putting your headset on and you're at the original Museum of Pinball in Banning. You can walk around in a totally immersive 3D space and see the entire collection. Walk up to any game and start playing it in perfect 3D with the finger feel of real solenoids in the cabinet. All this in 8k 120hz VR with 3D sound. The hardware for this experience is so close but making a really good VR world experience like that will take some serious development work.

The VR pinball experiences I've had so far are fun and novel but without the cabinet and solenoid effects it's super video-gamey. Also you need really high-res headsets and powerful GPU's which make it cost nearly as much as a NIB just for the computer hardware.

In the mean time I'm keeping floor space reserved for real games. I've seen the 1/4 length VR cabs from an Aussie distro but there were no solenoid effects. Wonder if someone will eventually market one like that in the US.

#15 10 days ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Sounds like a reasonable time line. We're super close to perfection but not quite there.

I think this guy is on the right track.

#16 5 days ago

@ Flippy D, The VP Ultra is from Grove City, Ohio.. That's The US. (Columbus). it has all the solenoids, force feedback, gears, tilt bobs, knocker, everything a real pinball has. the technology is already here. and it does cost. they are 8,000.00 US. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and theres been a few problems. right now the computer wont turn on.. so, there is maintenance, and, software updates, computer updates, probably every 3-5 years just like your phone or pc. right now, only rec room world in grove city, and a company in Australia have the really good machines. look them up on youtube.

#17 5 days ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

I think this guy is on the right track.

Yup, I bought the HP Reverb G2, lumber, decals and buttons and stick to build a stubby VR cab, and then the Covid shit happened and my planned video card for my new computer build to drive it all - went through the roof! Project will be on hold probably until 2023!! So I bought another real pin instead LOL!

#18 5 days ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

I want to see 1/4 length cabinets that are just basically a box for the computer and solenoid effects, no giant LCD screen. Instead a screen on the wall can mirror the action to everyone else in the room, and then a VR headset to play the games.
    Now imagine putting your headset on and you're at the original Museum of Pinball in Banning. You can walk around in a totally immersive 3D space and see the entire collection. Walk up to any game and start playing it in perfect 3D with the finger feel of real solenoids in the cabinet. All this in 8k 120hz VR with 3D sound. The hardware for this experience is so close but making a really good VR world experience like that will take some serious development work.
    The VR pinball experiences I've had so far are fun and novel but without the cabinet and solenoid effects it's super video-gamey. Also you need really high-res headsets and powerful GPU's which make it cost nearly as much as a NIB just for the computer hardware.
    In the mean time I'm keeping floor space reserved for real games. I've seen the 1/4 length VR cabs from an Aussie distro but there were no solenoid effects. Wonder if someone will eventually market one like that in the US.

I agree, but you will probably have more time in software updating then you will ever have in maintenance.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside