Ultra Quiet Spinning Disc Belt Drive Mod for POTC by PMC

By harryhoudini

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

We wanted it quiet. Really quiet. So with a lot of testing, prototypes and just plain tinkering we were able to convert the gear drive disc system to a belt drive. This has dramatically reduced the noise and vibration made by the gear meshing. This will be produced as a modification kit for the game with no permanent changes needed to the game. The install is fairly easy and doesn't take much disassembly at all. We will, of course, have a video guide for the install.

The belt used is a very common size and tooth profile so should it need replacement in the future it is readily available and we'll make spares available for purchase as well. The gears are made of a thermoplastic polymer that is both extremely strong yet also somewhat malleable and deadening to help mesh well with the belt and keep vibration down.

Ordering will be available shortly, stay tuned to this thread. We're waiting on some part deliveries so we know a fair timeline to produce these kits.

#2 1 year ago

Sounds quiet and I’m interested depending on the price. I’ll keep and eye out for it.

1 week later
#4 1 year ago

I have one tester already lined up. I am looking for 2-3 more people who would like to be able to early order this and receive it at a discount for providing any feedback on the install or usage. I will be posting some comparison videos of the installed product shortly, so if you want to wait that is fine. However, the video above gives a very accurate representation of how it sounds in the game. Send me a PM and I'll get you the details to place the order with a discount code. As soon as I have enough people I'll update this post.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I have one tester already lined up. I am looking for 2-3 more people who would like to be able to early order this and receive it at a discount for providing any feedback on the install or usage. I will be posting some comparison videos of the installed product shortly, so if you want to wait that is fine. However, the video above gives a very accurate representation of how it sounds in the game. Send me a PM and I'll get you the details to place the order with a discount code. As soon as I have enough people I'll update this post.

Sign me up!

#7 1 year ago

I’ll sign up, please.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

I’ll sign up, please.

Send me a PM and I'll get you setup.

#9 1 year ago

Ok, got way more interest than we needed, thanks!

#10 1 year ago

For all those testing the install video is ready:

#11 1 year ago

Rats got to check back more often. Need someone in the Southern Hemisphere to test? Things spin backwards down here you know.....

#12 1 year ago

LOL.. testers are all set. Waiting on all of their feedback and we'll get the ball rolling (or disc spinning, as it were).

#13 1 year ago

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share what a great product this is and how supportive Pinball Mod Co has been. First I want to start by saying how easy this was to install. The video Scott posted is right on the money and explains what has to be done. It is 1000 times easier to install than the chest mod or even than removing the pearl. You simply unplug the spinning disc at two points, undo the 8 bolts holding it and remove it.

To say this thing is quiet would be an understatement. I didn't notice how use to the sound of the disc spinning I got until it was gone. Now playing the sound low (when the wife is near by) can be heard without the disc sound. Amazing. This probably should of been how the disc was made in the first place.

The chest mod is a "must have" mod. I would absolutely put this in the same category! Well done Scott.

#14 1 year ago

Thanks Heater

Since the cat is out of the bag, here is the ordering link: https://pinballmods.co/spinning-disc-belt-drive-silence

We are getting these ready to ship out with some small changes thanks to folks like Heater who did a bunch of testing and feedback for us. There is an option for additional belts, if you want and I added the hex key as an option as well in case you don't have one. It's a 1.27mm or 1.3mm hex key to use for our 2.5mm set screw. I don't know if most sets come with that small of a size so it's there if you want it.

We will be shipping as quickly as we can, likely over the next week or so. The install video above will be updated with some minor changes for the production kits so if you've watched it you'll want to check back once you get your kit so you get any updated details. Mostly the change is that we have included 4 different sized small gears now so you can have some option based on the needs of your game. We found that some games need slightly larger gears to get the right fit. The original gear is 22 teeth and there are now 23, 24 and 25 toothed gears included in the kit. It seems like everyone can start with a 23 or 24 and go from there. The idea is to have enough tension so the belt does not slip but not too much to make it hard for the disc to start spinning on the lower settings.

The disc spins based on the MAP targets. One target hit will be the lowest spin setting and if there is too much tension the motor can't overcome that to properly spin back and forth. We have an option coming for an upgraded motor, still doing some testing on this, but if you find this is a problem and want something with a bit more torque we will have a plug and play solution available. I don't think it is strictly necessary but I like to cover all bases.

While I'm still confirming the motor and supplier, if you do want this option before your kit ships just let me know via PM or email and we can hold your kit for a few days until I know more.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultra-quiet-spinning-disc-belt-drive-mod-for-potc-by-pmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.