• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1972 (resized).JPG
IMG_1971 (resized).JPG
IMG_E1973 (resized).JPG
rectifier board (resized).png
a3 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Today I received my Alltek ultimate solenoid board and installed it in my Stern Meteor. I start up the machine and start a game. Everything is working and playing fine then all of a sudden the displays start flashing, the game locks up and eventually resets. I power cycle the game and do a memory clear on the mpu board. I restart the game and go into the self test and run it through the tests a few times and again it locks up with the displays flickering. I tried reseating all the connectors and ran the tests again with the same results. Finally I put my old solenoid board back in, and now the runs without issue.

My question is whether the new solenoid board is bad, or is there something else I could be missing? Any insight is appreciated.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I doubt the new board is bad. was this the issue before you put the solenoid board in? First place I would check is the power supply board/fuse holders/connectors in the bottom of the cabinet

My existing solenoid board was actually working just fine before I put in the new board. I'm doing a resto, and was updating that since it already had a new APU and I was putting in the lighting board to allow for swapping to LEDs. After the swap, I was able to start a game or run tests, but it would eventually lock up, and never at what I could perceive was the same point to allow me to troubleshoot a single component.

Since I removed the ultimate solenoid driver and put the old original board back in, it hasn't had an issue. I can run it through all the tests, and it doesn't doesn't lock up.

Could the rectifier have an issue that would cause it to fail with the ultimate solenoid board, but still work with the old bally board?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

A couple of those aftermarket parts don’t work with the competitions aftermarket parts. Is everything Alltek or OEM?

All the new boards are alltek, except for the Bally solenoid board I had to swap back in.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

likely to be bad connector feeding the SDB? if that the only thing you changed/moved while replacing it. always good to rebuild the upper right connector of the SDB

I did notice when installing the new SDB that the connectors felt looser. I’ll have to grab the calipers and see if maybe the pins are a slightly different gauge. At this point I might swap out the rectifier board with the $55 one from Pinballlife and try to figure out what connectors and crimpers I need to redo the connections at the SDB

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

In any case I always advocate that the original should be repaired FIRST over any replacement options.

I get that sentiment if the game is all original in good condition, but when the game cabinet gets repainted, plastics, playfield, and back glass and replaced with reproductions, I don’t see any point in striving for originality or authenticity over modern reliability.

#24 2 years ago

Well this got out of hand in a hurry. I have a new rectifier board on order and some pins to rebuild some of the connectors. I'll be a little while before I get to that step. My current status:

IMG_1971 (resized).JPGIMG_1971 (resized).JPGIMG_1972 (resized).JPGIMG_1972 (resized).JPGIMG_E1973 (resized).JPGIMG_E1973 (resized).JPG
#27 2 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

If you bought an Alltek Ultimate Solenoid Driver Board, Alltek has a lifetime warranty on the board. Go the the Alltek site: https://allteksystems.com/pages/warranty-information
Email or call them.

Good to know. Once I put it all back together I’ll reach out if I’m still having troubles.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultimate-solenoid-board-issue?tu=bigguybbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.