• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1972 (resized).JPG
IMG_1971 (resized).JPG
IMG_E1973 (resized).JPG
rectifier board (resized).png
a3 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 2 years ago

Downside is the contacts are not Molex or AMP brand. I have found the Chinese/Taiwanese knockoffs to cost far, far less but are ALWAYS an inferior metal.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

How would you know that the contacts supplied are not Molex or AMP? You don't I'm certain of that. These brands are sold all around the world by RS, Farnell, Mouser and MANY others...
"

... and the rest of the temper tantrum snipped.

Wow, must have struck a nerve on that one!
Guaranteed that the contacts in the sales photo are neither Molex and AMP. How do I know? I have been doing this for decades.

The ones in the sales photo of this board are end strip mounted.
Molex is only available in either loose or side strips. AMP is available in end strips but the shape is completely wrong.
And not sure what the list of distributors has to do with any of this - they make nothing, they resell both the good and the cheap.
Nor am I sure about why you mentioned taiwanese fasteners which has nothing to do with any of this conversation.

I have received samples from many manufacturers in China & Taiwan as well as Japan and other countries.
The Chinese and usually Taiwanese brand contacts become brittle. They're fine for awhile but lose their tension after a short period of time. I have yet to find a reliable source over there for this size contact. But pricewise - it sure looks good when the cost per contact is less than 1 penny each (0.156" contacts were $6 per bag of 1000). I can see why some people resell them and rake in the profit. I have some of these contacts but refuse to sell them due to bad quality. But I will make an exception - do you want to buy a bag of 1000?

Contacts received from manufacturers from around the world have always been far better. This includes US, Mexico, Germany and Japan. Stuff from India has been spotty.

Funny you should mention aviation. Military and aviation grade connectors has been one of my specialties for 35 years. ITT Cannon, Glenair, Souriau, Amphenol, AMP (TE) and a few others are big guys in that field. I work in a field where one connector failure can cost $millions. No chinese brands allowed, can you guess why? And even Manufacturers such as Molex are also seldom found in my field.

All that and not once did I throw any insults about where you live.

#19 2 years ago

What can ya say?
Some people like to use cheaper parts or completely omit parts that cost pennies and others care more about user accessibility, longevity and quality.
Some people are completely offended by constructive criticism and others use it to their advantage to improve their products.

#22 2 years ago

I was talking about buying parts that were at least on par with the OEM, you brought up aviation and I never said to use mil spec parts ... but, whatever.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
Troxel Repair
Boards
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultimate-solenoid-board-issue?tu=G-P-E and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.