(Topic ID: 187704)

Uhaul Trailer - Moving 10 Machines

By MiamiRedSkin

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150514_085035 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Could use some advice - I am slated to move around 10 machines in the next week, but am unsure how many can safely fit in the trailers uhaul has to offer. I would most likely be renting a 6x12, so if anyone has any advice, please let me know. Games will be broken down and standing on their back.

#2 6 years ago

How far do you have to move them? Can you make multiple trips? If you stand them up, you might be able to get a majority of them in.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

How far do you have to move them? Can you make multiple trips? If you stand them up, you might be able to get a majority of them in.

Chicago to Cincinnati :\

#4 6 years ago

Get a Ryder or Penske truck with a liftgate. Don't even have to break them down.

#5 6 years ago

I've used the 6x12 a few times but never with that many.

Assuming a 28" head width, if you alternate the heads - head facing out/head facing in, you should be able to get 2 rows of 5....at least on paper.

#6 6 years ago

...and depending on what you are pulling with, one or two more inside the SUV.

#7 6 years ago

Be sure to checking the towing weight limit on your vehicle.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Chicago to Cincinnati :\

Wait I thought there was only 1 here.....

#9 6 years ago

Thats a bit of a trip. Might be worth renting out a 16 ft truck with a ramp. Should be able to fit them in with no problem and no headaches or weight issues.

#10 6 years ago

I had 6x12 u haul trailer with 6 pins standing up I'm sure you could get two more but really don't know about 10 . If you have a truck you should be able to get two laying down or possibly more standing up . Hope that helps.

#11 6 years ago

The problem is securing them to the walls. There are only a few places where the rails are connected to the walls and you want to use these as your tie points or else your straps can slide down the rails and leave the machines unstable. So the games have to be spaced between the tie points. We just came back from TPF with a full trailer. 8 pins. Two in the nose and 3 on each wall, all standing up with heads folded. Not wide enough to lay any more down the middle, so I agree you'll need a longer trailer or a truck.

#12 6 years ago

I have done this a few times, not with 10, but you will get an idea of space maybe:

20150514_085035 (resized).jpg20150514_085035 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Be sure to checking the towing weight limit on your vehicle.

Good point, that's 3000 pounds in games you're hauling.

#14 6 years ago

All good suggestions. I don't need to bring all 10 at once, just would be easier of course. I have a 2014 Ford Explorer V6 - I'm going to have to check what I'm rated to tow. I have to do some research on what I am safe to pull. I know a bigger truck would be easier, but I'm going to drive there solo in my car and don't have another person to drive my car back..

Also, would be looking at the enclosed 6x12. I've hauled it before and it worked out fine with my SUV.

#15 6 years ago

We drove a Chevy Trailblazer V6 with the 8 game pull, 600 miles. I think you'd be fine doing it in two trips.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Good point, that's 3000 pounds in games you're hauling.

Max load: 2,480 lbs from the website.

#17 6 years ago

I move 8 all the time (with machines folded) in 6x12 trailers both U-Haul enclosed & my own 6x12 enclosed trailer. Doing 8 you can tie each machine body towards side wall and head towards center of trailer and 4 fit nicely down each side with about 3" to 4" between each head. I always toss big pieces of cardboard between each machine "just in case" but I have never had a machine move on me when well tied. Use good nylon rope to tie machines in the trailer (not something like cloths line). Rope will be a little expensive but it is still cheaper than damage to a couple machines. Ratcheting straps do not work well in U-haul trailers - nylon rope works out much better!

But if you are limited by towing capacity you might want to make two trips with 5 machines in each load. Regardless use an enclosed trailer and that way you don't have to worry about weather. If you do two trips with 5 in each load remember to center the machines over the axles instead of putting all the weight in the front of the trailer. One additional machine on one side is fine but when I do that I normally put the "extra" machine on drivers side of trailer since most roads are crowned towards shoulder. That way the trailer rides more level then putting additional machine on shoulder side.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uhaul-trailer-moving-10-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.