Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jasonp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6968 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0117 (resized).JPG
    He_Man_Woman_Haters_Club (resized).png
    022fe344be581100190e37cfa0246e14 (resized).jpg
    0330-main-kourtney-khloe-kardashian-pinball-2 (resized).jpg
    the-fish-factory-Blue (resized).png
    Screenshot_4961 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 7 years ago

I understand the feeling of something you love and hold dear as a niche being exploited and co-opted by the media risking a huge influx of people and turning something very quickly into a blown out fad. When I was in high school I was huge into local third wave ska bands. Almost anyone I talked to had no idea what ska was.

Then real big fish comes along, and MTV, people start writing about it, attributing bands like smashmouth as part of the big new wave of ska (which made people like me furious) Suddenly it was in commercials, it was everywhere and everyone HATED it, and rightfully so. It wasn't fun anymore, it wasn't special. The bands all dried up in like five years and ska virtually disappeared for a decade.

I empathize with people not wanting something fake and phony like the Kardashians as a spokesperson for the hobby. This will be the first time thousands of people will have heard of pinball in years, it's not exactly who you want to have as a mouthpiece (pun intended)

I like when I hear that someone like Jason sudekis got a new WOZ more than this. It's not so much a celebrity liking pinball, it's THAT kind of celebrity that's only famous for a sex tape and reality show. They are on different levels.

I know this is a ridiculous amount of thought to put into this so I will also say I don't think it's a huge deal at the same time. I'm older now and that whole "punk rock ethic" of never selling out just doesn't jibe with me anymore. I mean who cares? I have met the guy that owns the place they filmed at and he's super nice and I hope this brings him more customers, more power to the little guy I say.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Hey now, the important ones are still around. And Five Iron recently came back so there is that. Also Reel Big Fish is great, they were just riding the wave.
    Also Smashmouth was never ska... I recall that Chumbawamba was said to be ska as well... That should not have even been a discussion.

Quoted from Richthofen:

<offtopic> I have been into ska for a long time, but I don't think Reel Big Fish did anything wrong. </offtopic>

Woah woah woah! Didn't realize that comment would be the one to ruffle feathers! Honestly, you would have to go back and speak to
    16 year old me. RBF was fine, at the time they were one of the huge breakouts (mighty might bosstones also comes to mind, whom I loved) that brought on the whole mass media popularity, and I got all salty about it. I am too old to care about that anymore. It's all good.

Chumbawba ska? That's crazy talk.

I'm closing, Skankin' pickle for life!

#62 7 years ago

Literally listened to the blue meanies two days ago! One of the best performances I've ever seen!

Streetlight manifesto are great!

These were some of my faves: The Rudiments

Dance Hall Crashers

One eye open

Slapstick

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

» YouTube video
    Old School Arizona Ska!!!

forgot about that band

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uh-oh-this-hobby-might-be-doomed?tu=practicalsteve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.