3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jasonp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6968 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0117 (resized).JPG
    He_Man_Woman_Haters_Club (resized).png
    022fe344be581100190e37cfa0246e14 (resized).jpg
    0330-main-kourtney-khloe-kardashian-pinball-2 (resized).jpg
    the-fish-factory-Blue (resized).png
    Screenshot_4961 (resized).png

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Coming soon, the CPR Kardashians plastics set...

Is that what they're going to do with the whole Dolly re-theme thing that fell through?

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I understand the feeling of something you love and hold dear as a niche being exploited and co-opted by the media risking a huge influx of people and turning something very quickly into a blown out fad. When I was in high school I was huge into local third wave ska bands. Almost anyone I talked to had no idea what ska was.
    Then real big fish comes along, and MTV, people start writing about it, attributing bands like smashmouth as part of the big new wave of ska (which made people like me furious) Suddenly it was in commercials, it was everywhere and everyone HATED it, and rightfully so. It wasn't fun anymore, it wasn't special. The bands all dried up in like five years and ska virtually disappeared for a decade.

Hey now, the important ones are still around. And Five Iron recently came back so there is that. Also Reel Big Fish is great, they were just riding the wave.

Also Smashmouth was never ska... I recall that Chumbawamba was said to be ska as well... That should not have even been a discussion.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

I don't think I could get drunk enough to sleep with a Kardashian, and if I did I'd probably wake up next to Caitlyn

Both with that day-after stubble too

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Is that what they're going to do with the whole Dolly re-theme thing that fell through?

Lost Vegas?

#55 3 years ago

Yes, the project that will never actually happen. Lived up to the name, that's for sure!

#56 3 years ago

Who are the Kardashians ??

#57 3 years ago

I understand the feeling of something you love and hold dear as a niche being exploited and co-opted by the media risking a huge influx of people and turning something very quickly into a blown out fad. When I was in high school I was huge into local third wave ska bands. Almost anyone I talked to had no idea what ska was

<offtopic> I have been into ska for a long time, but I don't think Reel Big Fish did anything wrong. </offtopic>

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Hey now, the important ones are still around. And Five Iron recently came back so there is that. Also Reel Big Fish is great, they were just riding the wave.
    Also Smashmouth was never ska... I recall that Chumbawamba was said to be ska as well... That should not have even been a discussion.

Quoted from Richthofen:

<offtopic> I have been into ska for a long time, but I don't think Reel Big Fish did anything wrong. </offtopic>

Woah woah woah! Didn't realize that comment would be the one to ruffle feathers! Honestly, you would have to go back and speak to
    16 year old me. RBF was fine, at the time they were one of the huge breakouts (mighty might bosstones also comes to mind, whom I loved) that brought on the whole mass media popularity, and I got all salty about it. I am too old to care about that anymore. It's all good.

Chumbawba ska? That's crazy talk.

I'm closing, Skankin' pickle for life!

#59 3 years ago

Skankin' pickle has a valve trombone! I still listen to primarily ska, probably always will. Check out Streetlight Manifesto if you haven't already, they will melt your face off. Basically Catch 22 part deux.

#60 3 years ago

How about some Blue Meanies

#61 3 years ago

Completely forgot about the blue meanies!
    How about some preRBF RBF

Or better yet, some old school bosstones.

#62 3 years ago

Literally listened to the blue meanies two days ago! One of the best performances I've ever seen!

Streetlight manifesto are great!

These were some of my faves: The Rudiments

Dance Hall Crashers

One eye open

Slapstick

#63 3 years ago

When I think musically back to the 90s, it was mostly a horrible decade for me. But, when factoring in fashion, 90s"ness," shitty music, the whole damn package...it's hard to get worse than Might Mighty Bosstones.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

When I think musically back to the 90s, it was mostly a horrible decade for me.

Really:

Encyclopædia Britannica says that Morrissey's 1990s albums, including Your Arsenal (1992), Vauxhall and I (1994), Southpaw Grammar (1995) and Maladjusted (1997), "testified to a growing homoerotic obsession with criminals, skinheads, and boxers, a change paralleled by a shift in the singer's image from wilting wallflower to would-be thug sporting sideburns and gold bracelets".

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Really:
    Encyclopædia Britannica says that Morrissey's 1990s albums, including Your Arsenal (1992), Vauxhall and I (1994), Southpaw Grammar (1995) and Maladjusted (1997), "testified to a growing homoerotic obsession with criminals, skinheads, and boxers, a change paralleled by a shift in the singer's image from wilting wallflower to would-be thug sporting sideburns and gold bracelets".

Well sure it's got "Britan" right in the goddamn title dude, obviously they're gonna trump that shit up.
    Everyone knows 'Viva Hate' is Morrissey's only great album, and that's 88. Not even 'Bona Drag' (which is borderline @ 90) is decent and it basically an EP.
    Sure I know what your saying...'Your Arsenal' has 'Tomorrow' & 'Vauxhall and I' has 'Speedway' which are true Morrissey classic that's obvious...but you're picking needles out of haystacks here.

i saw Morrissey during the Vauxhall tour and he played for 39 minutes, then came back for a 1 song encore. That's piss poor 90s shit right there.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well sure it's got "Britan" right in the goddamn title dude, obviously they're gonna trump that shit up.

Lol, I have no idea. Every time my wife see's you she brings up that dude....
    Must be the hair?

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Somehow I don't think they mind it. I wish I could get laughed at for the kind of money they make!

Are you classy enough?

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well sure it's got "Britan" right in the goddamn title dude

"Britan", eh?

BTW, Morrissey has no good solo albums. No Johnny Marr? Who gives a fuck. Johnny Marr even made cheesy synths sound good (see: Electronic's first album, the only one worth mentioning)

#69 3 years ago

Old School Arizona Ska!!!

#70 3 years ago

Encyclopædia -->Britan<--nica It's like the original latino name or something.

#71 3 years ago

speak for yourselves!!!

if these vapid,cliche,pseudo-celebs with bangin bodies are the alternative to rotund, surly, sweaty nerd dudes then sign me up!!!

JK

#72 3 years ago

Someday I suppose.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

it's hard to get worse than Might Mighty Bosstones.

IMG_6968 (resized).JPG

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

» YouTube video
    Old School Arizona Ska!!!

forgot about that band

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

» YouTube video
    Someday I suppose.

The height of white dudes with 8 hole docs, shirts tucked into plaid shorts, wearing beanies... What a great memory?

#76 3 years ago

Someday I suppose was my favorite coming from a guy in OC looking at the thing just happening. All I could do was listen.

I grew up loving metal, Bowie and classic rock. Ska was never my music of choice, but someday I suppose, that was brilliance to me. Still is.

#77 3 years ago

It must have been like leaving the beach and entering a circus for you

#78 3 years ago

forgot about that band

Used to have them all come to the house after shows ... Good Times!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 22.50
    $ 9.95
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 3.50
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 12.99
    £ 59.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside