Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Manimal
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dimple4 (resized).jpg
    Dimple3 (resized).jpg
    Dimple120190817_200139 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Was playing JJP Pirates CE on location in Louisville; cradled the ball to line a shot then stopped in my tracks. Asked my daughter to fish out the phone and take some pictures.

I've been in the hobby for 5 years: been to dozens of shows and locations, restored games of all conditions, played thousands of games on hundreds of machines. I've pulled pitted and rusted balls out of derelicts. Replaced balls that had random scuffs and scratches. Seen balls that were black and speckled with wear before then...

...but have NEVER seen a ball as pitted, dimpled, and faceted as the one shown here! Is this actually a "common" thing after X number of plays, or some kind of fluke? The location is well-known for A-list games and the owner is absolutely a pinhead, so I can't willingly chalk this to neglect.

(OTOH, this might be the perfect ball for a NGG or Tee'd Off

Dimple120190817_200139 (resized).jpgDimple120190817_200139 (resized).jpgDimple3 (resized).jpgDimple3 (resized).jpgDimple4 (resized).jpgDimple4 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Sorry to hear this. Gottlieb was know for softer metal balls as well .

#3 4 years ago

My NIB DILE had bad pinballs as well. Replaced them immediately after few plays because they where so beat up.

#4 4 years ago

Newer Stern balls will do this as well. Not all of the balls will do this but a few. I have a DP on location and after a month went to change out the factory Stern pinballs with new ones. Of the 6 in the game, 2 looked like a disco ball. I'm thinking they weren't hardened properly or something. I know Stern doesn't make their own pinballs, but wherever they're getting them from it seems like other manufacturers are getting them from there as well.

#5 4 years ago

Yeah, it happens pretty often. Had it on our iron maiden premium. Always pays to be on the lookout and to replace them quickly before they have the chance to cause any major damage

#6 4 years ago

That's so weird. I mean I guess it's "good" that it's been seen before so it's not like a new problem but then...

What the hell? How many ways can there be to make pinballs and WHY would the manufacturers spec the shittier ones for OE? None of the replacements I've bought from Marco or Pinball Life have done this, and I dare say the (original?) balls in my secondhand games (G/B/W) never show this issue. WTF is with the corner cutting? ON THE DAMN BALLS?

So who actually makes these, then? Anyone know?

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

What the hell? How many ways can there be to make pinballs and WHY would the manufacturers spec the shittier....

The answer to all your questions; is money.

Here's what you do. Take your NIB game out and set it up. Leave the balls the company sends with it still in the bag, and replace with your own private collection.
    It works every time.

#8 4 years ago

Yep, seen it out of the bag on a NIB Stern. Not everyone mind you, but one here or there......

#9 4 years ago

Looks like a silver Titleist golf ball

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Here's what you do. Take your NIB game out and set it up. Leave the balls the company sends with it still in the bag, and replace with your own private collection.
    It works every time.

Genius! But sure sounds like a lot of work...

#11 4 years ago

Nothing bugs me more than seeing what looks to be the surface of the moon when I look down at my balls.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Nothing bugs me more than seeing what looks to be the surface of the moon when I look down at my balls.

Oh, I don't know....I always thought it was bad to look down and see my reflection in my shiny balls

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uh-oh-dimpled-pinballs- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.