(Topic ID: 186898)

Uh oh, are newer pins dropping in price?

By ZMeny

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 169 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Tsskinne
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1679 (resized).JPG
    mikey_life (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-to-announce-a-corvette-summer-sequel-in-england-jpeg-55333 (resized).jpg
    NEdg55VBdeO9gd_1_b (resized).jpg
    1njbm8 (resized).jpg
    poll (resized).jpg
    IMG_1710 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1677 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Why do you think I wasn't around to see the market in the late 90's? I had my first machine at home in 1982. You do know a lot, and have the attitude to match it.
    You are right, there were people buying machines then, not Nobody, I was speaking in hyperbole. But today's market doesn't resemble the 90's. Using a examples of closeout sales while the market collapsing isn't as relevant either.
    Today's differences are obvious by answering some simple questions:
    - Are there more hobbyists buying NIB machines today than in the 90's
    - Is the % of new sales to hobbyists vs. operators greater today than in the 90's
    - is the % of all pinball sales, new and used, to hobbyists greater today than in the 90's
    - Is the market growing today or collapsing like it was in the late 90's
    My original point was that I believe SW will be a bigger seller than GB. Why?
    - There are many more SW fans than GB fans, both in the pinball hobby and outside the pinball hobby
    - GB pf was a disappointment to many. I know a lot of people like GB, but many are also turned off by its play. I am betting Richie builds a 'safer' design to attract more people to the machine.
    - Also with the LCD and today's light shows, the machine will (should) be significantly more immersive
    Were there other SW machines? Sure, but E1 stinks (hyperbole again, but it is really strange and turns off a lot people), and none of them are rated in the top 100, so they are relatively unloved by most.
    I wasn't even including people outside the hobby today, but there will be SW fanboys that buy as a first machine. The SW crowd is the perfect market segment for pinball. 30+ with disposable income.
    So to sum it up:
    Pinball = Good
    SW Pinball = Gooder

GB is Stern's best recent selling game not just because of it's theme but because of it's gameplay and unique design. I know some vocal people are turned off by it but obviously many more are fond of it's uniqueness.

SW will sell very well depending on if it's design and gameplay are good. Certainly it will sell because of it's theme alone to some but it's lasting power will be determined by it's design and gameplay.

#134 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Do we have any evidence that GB outsold AC/DC, Metallica, or Star Trek? I kind of doubt it has, but if someone has some support for numbers that would be great (I wish Stern would release their sales figures, at least for games out of production for awhile...give us a general idea).

Just verbal evidence provided during interviews, I would have to dig a little. Pretty sure Gomez mentioned it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballlew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uh-oh-are-newer-pins-dropping-in-price?tu=pinballlew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.