Uh oh, are newer pins dropping in price?

By ZMeny

8 months ago

Stats

• 169 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Tsskinne
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1679 (resized).JPG
    mikey_life (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-to-announce-a-corvette-summer-sequel-in-england-jpeg-55333 (resized).jpg
    NEdg55VBdeO9gd_1_b (resized).jpg
    1njbm8 (resized).jpg
    poll (resized).jpg
    IMG_1710 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1677 (resized).PNG

There are 169 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 8 months ago

Starting to see pins come up on marketplace and locally a lot cheaper than usual. For examples, Rob Zombie, The Hobbit, AC/DC, Full Throttle, even MET and Medieval Madness. Is this just because new machines are coming out or is the hobby being saturated by new pins so the recently used ones aren't holding value anymore like Bally/Williams?

#2 8 months ago

What kind of prices are you seeing for these titles? I haven't noticed lower than normal prices lately so I'm wondering what I'm missing out on.

#3 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Starting to see pins come up on marketplace and locally a lot cheaper than usual. For examples, Rob Zombie, The Hobbit, AC/DC, Full Throttle, even MET and Medieval Madness. Is this just because new machines are coming out or is the hobby being saturated by new pins so the recently used ones aren't holding value anymore like Bally/Williams?

I'm not sure about AC/DC, MET and I don't know if I have ever seen a Full Throttle for sale...but for sure prices are dropping on titles like; Hobbit, Rob Zombie and especially GOTLE. There are probably many reasons for it, but I think primarily either people are realizing the games aren't as good as the hype train and wait made them think/hope they were going to be, the resale scalper market they thought would be there for those titles doesn't exist and/or in GOTLEs case the market is flooded with them and the Pro is arguably the better version of the game at $2,000 less in cost anyway. Not many people can afford to keep buying $7,000+ titles multiple times a year without selling a game or two for funds and space. Since this is the direction the market is shifting for new titles and we now have multiple companies to buy NIB from, I wouldn't expect more of the same in the future.

#4 8 months ago

There's never a guarantee a new pin is going to hold or go up in price. Now more than ever we'ee seeing that a pin has to build a reputation based on gameplay in order for demand to build. Plus - it must be out of production for potential buyers to consider paying more than new.

The prices you see newish used games selling for seems relatively normal. For example, some Hobbits are selling for $7200. The pre-order price was $7500, so those sellers are doing OK. If you start seeing them sell for like $4k or less, then something odd is going on.

#5 8 months ago
    Quoted from PinballJeff:

What kind of prices are you seeing for these titles? I haven't noticed lower than normal prices lately so I'm wondering what I'm missing out on.

Not seeing any bargains either.

#6 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Sounds like the bubble is bursting!!!

#7 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

where are these deals? I see a few people in this thread already looking

#8 8 months ago

RZ are sitting and not selling. Hobbits are selling for 2k less than nib. I think some of these newer sterns are going to settle in at 4200-4400 for pros if not worse and 5900-6200 for premiums

#9 8 months ago

There have been some deals on RZ, Hobbit and GOTLE/Prem, but most everything else seems to be holding value pretty well. I would love to find a HUO Met Pro or GOT Pro in the $4200-$4400 range locally!

#10 8 months ago

Hobbits are lower I believe because it's hard to get close to what you paid out of a pricier title. Hobbits nib are 8-8.5k and so nobody would really gain buying a used one for 7500 or so. Plus, they're still available nib. Acdc hasn't gone down. Metallica is a dime a dozen and still in production, so availability lowers it's value. I'd say buy games based off wants, and not worrying too much about resale value.

#11 8 months ago

I think AC/DC will start to drop here very soon. And maybe Spider-Man's. I had a buddy just let go of a pristine Black Spider-Man fully modded for 7k because no one was interested. That's wild

#12 8 months ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Hobbits are lower I believe because it's hard to get close to what you paid out of a pricier title. Hobbits nib are 8-8.5k and so nobody would really gain buying a used one for 7500 or so. Plus, they're still available nib. Acdc hasn't gone down. Metallica is a dime a dozen and still in production, so availability lowers it's value. I'd say but games based off wants, and not worrying too much about resale value.

The thing with Hobbit is that most buyer's bought in between $7500-$8000 so the game is still holding over 90% of its resale value. WOZ ECLE was $6500 for most buyers and that game in particular has held above that value. It's deceptive because JJP now sells these models for $8500-$9500 which makes the HUO market seem like such a good deal comparatively.

#13 8 months ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

The thing with Hobbit is that most buyer's bought in between $7500-$8000 so the game is still holding over 90% of its resale value. WOZ ECLE was $6500 for most buyers and that game in particular has held above that value. It's deceptive because JJP now sells these models for $8500-$9500 which makes the HUO market seem like such a good deal comparatively.

Good point

#14 8 months ago

Some are willing to sell for less than they paid to get a game sold fast and don't mind because they got to play the game while they had it.

Others might try to sell for as much or more than they paid maybe because they think they should get paid to play or be some kind of middleman.

#15 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

RZ are sitting and not selling. Hobbits are selling for 2k less than nib. I think some of these newer sterns are going to settle in at 4200-4400 for pros if not worse and 5900-6200 for premiums

i am not sure how you expect the market to work. all of those prices sound extremely reasonable. i mean a new Stern Pro only costs like $4500 - $5000. getting $4400 back when you sell it is ridiculously awesome.

compared to any other expensive hobby, the resale values in pinball are insanely good.

#16 8 months ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i am not sure how you expect the market to work. all of those prices sound extremely reasonable. i mean a new Stern Pro only costs like $4500 - $5000. getting $4400 back when you sell it is ridiculously awesome.
    compared to any other expensive hobby, the resale values in pinball are insanely good.

Totally agree and not angry about the dropping prices. New sterns are 5100-5200 so dropping close to a thousand in a year or two is surprising.

#17 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Totally agree and not angry about the dropping prices. New sterns are 5100-5200 so dropping close to a thousand in a year or two is surprising.

please share some links. I would like to buy a few 1 year old Sterns for 4100.

#18 8 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

please share some links. I would like to buy a few 1 year old Sterns for 4100.

Haha you know what I mean haha. Look at kiss premiums dropping or poor old transformers is going to have to be given away before long

#19 8 months ago

If you are correct, your title should not be "Uh oh", it should be "Woo Hoo".

#20 8 months ago

Transformers was always a tough sell. WPTs have rebounded a bit from the low $2k range into the high $2k range. I did see the dealer selling AMH #99 and #100 NIB last week for $6,500 each and it looks like they disappeared quickly at that price. The RZ's just aren't going to bring AMH money. Still Bally/williams C titles like JM and Dirty Harry have gone up several hundreds in value over the last five years.

#21 8 months ago
    Quoted from kms_pinball:

Transformers was always a tough sell. WPTs have rebounded a bit from the low $2k range into the high $2k range. I did see the dealer selling AMH #99 and #100 NIB last week for $6,500 each and it looks like they disappeared quickly at that price. The RZ's just aren't going to bring AMH money. Still Bally/williams C titles like JM and Dirty Harry have gone up several hundreds in value over the last five years.

AMH at $6,500 is $500 above what it retailed for, right? I would consider it a win to play a game for 3 years and sell for a profit.

#22 8 months ago

Who cares? If you're buying new pins as an investment you're investing your money in the wrong place.

#23 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I had a buddy just let go of a pristine Black Spider-Man fully modded for 7k because no one was interested. That's wild

That game was about $4500 when brand new....so, I don't see anything wrong with that price.

Quoted from konghusker:

Hobbits nib are 8-8.5k and so nobody would really gain buying a used one for 7500 or so.

You can't get a Smaug anymore...those were an optional switch-over for LE pre-orderers. I was more than happy to buy my HUO Smaug for $7500 when new Black Arrow Editions are $9000. I saved money and got the version I wanted.

#24 8 months ago

The 2 AMH games were new in box at $6,500. Yes, used ones were selling for that but not nib.

#25 8 months ago

BA were\are being offered by a few dealers here at $7800 with full NIB warranty. Lets not get carried away

Quoted from Rarehero:

That game was about $4500 when brand new....so, I don't see anything wrong with that price.

You can't get a Smaug anymore...those were an optional switch-over for LE pre-orderers. I was more than happy to buy my HUO Smaug for $7500 when new Black Arrow Editions are $9000. I saved money and got the version I wanted.

#26 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Many NiB buyers are not paying full retail price.

#27 8 months ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

BA were\are being offered by a few dealers here at $7800 with full NIB warranty. Lets not get carried away

That's good to know...I know with Stern there's the MSRP and "real price" ....so JJP's have a "real price" too? I wonder if that means Dialed In is less than MSRP if you talk to the right peeps? Hmmm ....

Either way, Smaug is done...so - in my case, I knew if I ever got a Hobbit, that's the one I wanted....so when it was avail locally I jumped on it. No regrets!

#28 8 months ago

I've heard this same thing many times over the years. There are instances where a larger number of used pins hit the market around the same time and that causes a temporary dip in prices. You know, its that thing called supply and demand. Right now its because there are a number of interesting new games coming out and people are dumping games to free up space/funds. Once that supply is soaked back up, prices correct, it always does. The only exception it seems to this is when a remake comes out. Prices typically correct to remake price point, unless that remake is higher than the original used selling price (BDK).

#29 8 months ago
    Quoted from Rasavage:

AMH at $6,500 is $500 above what it retailed for, right? I would consider it a win to play a game for 3 years and sell for a profit.

He said NIB so like getting 4% interest if you forked over the money and sat on NIB for 2 years.

#30 8 months ago

I sold a SM red two years ago for $5k and bought one two months ago for $5k, I've seen SM sell for less but slightly lesser condition.

#31 8 months ago

I was not originally talking about whether buying a nib is a sound investment, more just trying to see if you all are seeing a sharper loss now that more manufacturers are putting out machines. Seems like "old models" lose value until they are no longer made, then demand rises again....unless it's Transformers haha

#32 8 months ago

Hobbit is about to be out of production so they can get dialed in going in full force, WOZ will continue to be built is what I have been told by my distributor.

#33 8 months ago

XMLE is like TFLE unless you bought it second hand.

No problem with TFLE if you got it for a good price I saw one for $3900 that was 2-3 years ago. Don't think you could lose money if you buy it second or third hand for that price.
    IMG_1677 (resized).PNGIMG_1710 (resized).JPG

#34 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I was not originally talking about whether buying a nib is a sound investment, more just trying to see if you all are seeing a sharper loss now that more manufacturers are putting out machines. Seems like "old models" lose value until they are no longer made, then demand rises again....unless it's Transformers haha

I think it has more to do with 2017 being a banner year for NIB pinball machines after a really disappointing 2016. I think HUO values stayed up last year because games like RZ and Hobbit largely disappointed and GB had tons of quality control issues which set Stern back a game or two. Now that there are games like DI, Alien, Star Wars, AFMR, Houdini, TA, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, etc. all being released people are finally selling their "old" machines to get the shiny new ones! I think used games in the $6-$9K range will continue to drop. Even the infallible ACDC is going to see a drop in resale value in 2017.

#35 8 months ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Hobbit is about to be out of production so they can get dialed in going in full force, WOZ will continue to be built is what I have been told by my distributor.

that's interesting. i'm glad WOZ continues to be a marketable game for them. it's their best one so far (no offense to the other two) and i think it's underrated because of the theme and some initial problems (that have since been ironed out).

#36 8 months ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

with 2017 being a banner year for NIB pinball

That's pretty funny right there.

#37 8 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sounds like the bubble is bursting!!!

poll (resized).jpg

#38 8 months ago

Just wait until the sell off to fund Star Wars...I'll be waiting with cash in hand

#39 8 months ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Just wait until the sell off to fund Star Wars...I'll be waiting with cash in hand

While its hard not to get excited about such a great theme, what if its a turd? I highly doubt I'll even buy one on the first run, but we'll see. We know with Stern, that if the game is a hit, they will be running them for at least two years.

#40 8 months ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

There are already 4 SW pins & generally no one cares. I don't think it's going to be the mad rush some hardcore SW fans assume.

#41 8 months ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

its hard not to get excited about such a great theme

I find it easy to not get excited about another outdated theme.

#42 8 months ago

I think prices for used titles like GB, MMR, Hobbit, etc are lower than the NIB price because the seller has to compete with the fact that the game is still being produced. Why pay x amount used when you could pay the same for it nib. I've noticed GB used prices that were almost 3k cheaper than nib prices. But I don't think this means its the end of the "bubble." Once those games are no longer produced I'm sure their used value will increase.

#43 8 months ago

Saturation, more pins that have high demand (AFMR, GB, etc) vs less-demand pins (Melons, Aerosmith, etc), more boutique pins out/coming out, anticipation of possible future remake titles (MB), anticipation of SW pin, etc etc. It'd be quite a long list if you simply made a list of all titles released in the last 12 months coupled with all future titles announced.

Just a lot of stuff at the same time driving prices down.

#44 8 months ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

Saturation, more pins that have high demand (AFMR, GB, etc) vs less-demand pins (Melons, Aerosmith, etc), more boutique pins out/coming out, anticipation of possible future remake titles (MB), anticipation of SW pin, etc etc. It'd be quite a long list if you simply made a list of all titles released in the last 12 months coupled with all future titles announced.
    Just a lot of stuff at the same time driving prices down.

Also the prices are STARTING so high...they're being sold at what used to be the "in demand scalper price" before any demand is actually known.

#45 8 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Also the prices are STARTING so high...they're being sold at what used to be the "in demand scalper price" before any demand is actually known.

Plus the pool of buyers for 8k plus games is smaller than 4-5k games. But they are making more and more 8k+ games, heck even 12k super duper LEs. I think the hobby has shown it can sustain 6-7k priced titles. Beyond that is still a huge unknown. I do have some doubts, but I also remember saying that my limit was 6k several years ago, but now have deposits down on two 8k games. WTF

#46 8 months ago

I hope used pinball prices drop in half. I might buy one.

#47 8 months ago

Spooky will make/produce three pins now or in the next 6-12 months

Jetsons
    Alice Cooper
    TA

Stern will produce their usual games

AFMr at a not unreasonable price

DI

Houdini

Aliens

There are quite a few nice games to look at.

#48 8 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

There are already 4 SW pins & generally no one cares. I don't think it's going to be the mad rush some hardcore SW fans assume.

What planet do you live on? Clearly not Alderaan. The buy hype will by 100x Ghostbusters for theme. If it is a classic Ritchie pf then make it 1000x.

Did you forget your sarcasm font?

#49 8 months ago

Call me crazy but I think Metallica will start dropping too. Premiums are already starting to pop up in the low 6's high 5's. Next six months will be interesting for sure. Then again, us hobbyists like to collect things haha

#50 8 months ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

While its hard not to get excited about such a great theme, what if its a turd? I highly doubt I'll even buy one on the first run, but we'll see. We know with Stern, that if the game is a hit, they will be running them for at least two years.

THIS

Stern will be pumping out Star Wars Premiums for the next 4 years or more. I don't understand the immediate buy now mentality. I don't understand the sudden onset of buyer's amnesia when it comes to their known production issues of late. And for the record I am a Star Wars superfan.

There's no need to rush. They know where they can stick their overpriced LE Darth Vader versions too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    $ 40.00
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Mods
    $ 143.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Bright
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 239.99
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    There are 169 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 221 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside