Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mosfet.jpg
    TIP42.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2013-02-20_07-09-40_630.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I doubt that this is good. What to do?

2013-02-20_07-09-40_630.jpg2013-02-20_07-09-40_630.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Those wire-wound cement resistors in the lamp matrix circuit get quite hot under normal conditions. Are there more efficient alternatives that don't put out as much heat?

#3 11 years ago

.Did you see how burnt they are? I cant see that as being normal

#4 11 years ago

Do nothing. Those run hot normally, and ALL boards are discolored underneath them.

Quoted from Crash:

Those wire-wound cement resistors in the lamp matrix circuit get quite hot under normal conditions. Are there more efficient alternatives that don't put out as much heat?

Replacing the tip102s/107s with MOSFET equivalents, and then ripping out those resistors entirely. Not a simple mod, but not super difficult. I've never bothered on a machine in home use. If I was routing one, I'd probably bother with it.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

.Did you see how burnt they are? I cant see that as being normal

If you think that's toasty, you haven't seen toasty! Perfectly normal, perfectly fine. Don't touch them puppies when the game is on.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

Do nothing. Those run hot normally, and ALL boards are discolored underneath them.

Replacing the tip102s/107s with MOSFET equivalents, and then ripping out those resistors entirely. Not a simple mod, but not super difficult. I've never bothered on a machine in home use. If I was routing one, I'd probably bother with it.

Interesting. Never heard of doing that one before. Just jumper the traces where you remove the resistors, I take it?

#7 11 years ago

Ok I was alarmed by the blackness. Im kind of a noob.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Ok I was alarmed by the blackness. Im kind of a noob.

Remind me to send you a picture of my Shuttle's power board...that's nothing. It's burned to fiberglass, just from the GI!

#9 11 years ago

Nothing wrong there. Just goes to show you that these machines were designed for a short life of 2-3 years.

If you're worried, you can simply check the resistance to make sure they are within tolerance.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Remind me to send you a picture of my Shuttle's power board...that's nothing. It's burned to fiberglass, just from the GI!

Nice! Gotta love the GI from that era. The GI connector in my old Black Knight got so hot it actually desoldered itself from the board at one point. Decided it was time to rebuild that connector finally at that point...LOL! I miss that game...

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Post it here!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#12 11 years ago

I have some boards that went super nova from those resistors i can take pics of if i remember to do so.

Looks like they where already replaced at one point which is a good thing. I would just keep an eye on it every once in a while. Likely nothing to worry about.

#13 11 years ago

Pretty typical. I replace the TIP42s with MOSFETS and use a zero ohm jumper in place of the resistor.

Looks nice and neat, and will never burn again.

#14 11 years ago

Holy $hit Crash, the pins on the 12-pin connector are welded.

#15 11 years ago

Hey, let's not forget, that's Williams quality!

#16 11 years ago

And, I remind you, this is totally normal for these old boards:

TIP42.jpgTIP42.jpg

#17 11 years ago

When you're done, the MOSFET mod looks like this

mosfet.jpgmosfet.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I was having problems with the solenoids and not knowing much figured it was that. Now that I know that those 2 problems are completely unrelated I will keep looking.

#19 11 years ago

Solenoids locking on at power up?

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Hey, let's not forget, that's Williams quality!

WMS: Wires May Sizzle.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/uh-oh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.