(Topic ID: 112114)

Ugly yellow pricing cards - why keep them?

By PoMC

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by goatdan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tron-Cards.jpg
    Breaking-The-Law-beavis-and-butthead-37165425-300-200.jpg
    eraserhead.jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Noticed that a lot of pin owners keep those hideous yellow price cards on the machine. Wondering why you keep those instead of printing out custom cards? The yellow cards make any great looking art package look like ass.

Post edited by PoMC: typo

#2 9 years ago

agreed.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

The yellow cards make any great look art package look like ass.

And the custom cards make you look like a nerd.

But seriously because, I'm not bothered by them...and they are "original."

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

And the custom cards make you look like a nerd.

News update. Anybody that collects pinball machines has a little nerd in them .

#5 9 years ago

It's what the designer's intended.
    Kinda like adding LEDs to a game that didn't have them originally.

/sarcasm off

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

News update. Anybody that collects pinball machines has a little nerd in them .

Agreed. But there is line between "little" & "heading down to kinkos to pick up my custom cards."

#7 9 years ago

Too lazy to care. I play my machines, not glue action figures to them.

#8 9 years ago

Talking just about the yellow cards....made no mention of LEDs or other mods.

Don't see that the yellow price cards are what the "designer intended" either. What designer would intend to wreck the flow of the artwork?

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Don't see that the yellow price cards are what the "designer intended" either. What designer would intend to wreck the flow of the artwork?

You realize they were designed to make monies right? That's what the designers made them for.

#10 9 years ago

That's why I'm asking why keep them installed in your home? If the pin is set on free play, then why have a pricing card that ruins the artwork?

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

That's why I'm asking why keep them installed in your home? If the pin is set on free play, then why have a pricing card that ruins the artwork?

What if the pin isn't set on free play? If you have it set on free play do you rip out the plastic that says "25 cents" on it? Or is that OK to keep there cause techincally a quarter does fit in there? Keep the coin box in even though it not for collecting coins?

I guess what I'm trying to say is....some people are more anal than others.

EDIT: I mean, is the yellow card really messing up the "art package flow" on your LW3

#12 9 years ago

This is gonna get ugly.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What if the pin isn't set on free play? If you have it set on free play do you rip out the plastic that says "25 cents" on it? Or is that OK to keep there cause techincally a quarter does fit in there? Keep the coin box in even though it not for collecting coins?
    EDIT: I mean, is the yellow card really messing up the "art package flow" on your LW3

I stated IF the pin is on free play.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I stated IF the pin is on free play.

Quoted from PoMC:

Talking just about the yellow cards....made no mention of LEDs or other mods.

Quoted from TheLaw:

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

This is gonna get ugly.

Why would anything get ugly? Only thing ugly in this thread are the yellow price cards.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If you have it set on free play do you rip out the plastic that says "25 cents" on it? Or is that OK to keep there cause techincally a quarter does fit in there? Keep the coin box in even though it not for collecting coins?

Actually I've started making custom inserts to replace the 25¢ parts too.

And everyone knows coin boxes are for storing extra plastics and mods and crap!

I still have the yellow cards on my Metallica, but only because I don't like any of the custom ones I've seen and I haven't had a chance to design new ones yet. I'm picky though, all my games have cards that I've designed myself.

#17 9 years ago

I leave my pricing cards in although they are white. Makes the gamerooms more gameroomy.

#18 9 years ago

Good ole pinside...back to making mountains out of molehills ...we need the next title release so we really have something to bitch about...

I mean really!?! The yellow cards are ruining the art flow? Its amazing sometimes what bothers people...

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

And everyone knows coin boxes are for storing extra plastics and mods and crap!

No! They are made for coins....that is why it is called a coin box. Take the parts out immediately sir!

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Agreed. But there is line between "little" & "heading down to kinkos to pick up my custom cards."

and this coming from a guy that sort of looks like:
    eraserhead.jpgeraserhead.jpg

sorry rob, but I couldn't resist

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

and this coming from a guy that sort of looks like:

Come on now...I know I've put on a few "Holiday LBS" but not that much....I hope

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

To piss people off.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No! They are made for coins....that is why it is called a coin box. Take the parts out immediately sir!

Breaking-The-Law-beavis-and-butthead-37165425-300-200.jpgBreaking-The-Law-beavis-and-butthead-37165425-300-200.jpg

#24 9 years ago

But seriously...I like the original instruction cards, and I think some custom cards actually "ruin the artwork" far more. Custom cards that simply steal the artwork on the playfield or backglass are kinda dumb, IMO.

#25 9 years ago

I like you!

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

all my games have cards that I've designed myself.

Ooooohhhh...care to share your Tron instruction and 25¢ cards?

#27 9 years ago

Oh, wait - you're talking about the modern Sterns. I thought you were talking about "yellowed" cards from older pins. Yes, I agree with replacing them for DMDs. I like having the replay values on my older pins, so those stay.

#28 9 years ago

I remove all instruction cards in order to gain an advantage over those trying to defeat me.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I remove all instruction cards in order to gain an advantage over those trying to defeat me.

go a step further, make new ones that look original but with really wrong rules.

#31 9 years ago

I change out all my pricing and instruction cards for better looking ones. You can do whatever you want with your pins. Being that they're yours, and all.

#32 9 years ago

I love the orange pricing sticker on my Getaway coin door. Some of my games are stock cards, and some are custom ones. In the end it really doesn't matter to me. Big yellow cards are fine, custom laminated cards are fine. I don't play the price cards

#33 9 years ago

Not a fan of custom cards

Prefer white cards with a plastic sheet over the top. Like REAL pinball machines have

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Why do you care? It is their machine and you seem to have this notion of what is correct and what isn't.

Some owner's want to replicate the feeling of playing in the arcade back in the day. Those cards are just as big a part of those experience as the machines themselves.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Why do you care? It is their machine and you seem to have this notion of what is correct and what isn't.
    Some owner's want to replicate the feeling of playing in the arcade back in the day. Those cards are just as big a part of those experience as the machines themselves.

Just was asking to make conversation. This is a forum....would be awfully dull if no one posted.

Saw someone's game room pic full of these expensive pins, and the first thing my eye was drawn to was all the ugly yellow Stern cards.

Saw it, thought it, posted it. No big whoop.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

"... Instruction Cards? We ain't got no Instruction Cards. We don't need no Instruction Cards. I don't have to show you any stinking Instruction cards!"

Quoted from calvin12:

go a step further, make new ones that look original but with really wrong rules.

Real players don't need instruction card! ... so they believe.

#37 9 years ago

The instruction cards I use are typically what comes in the games. I have made some custom ones before but I would rather spend time on my projects than worrying about my cards.

#38 9 years ago

I agree. I find it very funny when people spend tons of money modding a machine and leave those ugly cards in. It costs almost nothing to make them and they make the pin look better.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from jazzmaster:

Ooooohhhh...care to share your Tron instruction and 25¢ cards?

Sure, these are my Tron cards. I left the instructions off them, just Free Play. When I do cards that I include with things I sell I make sure they're all original art, when I do them for my own personal use I don't worry about that. I made these use assets from that Tron game, whatever it was called, never played it. Match them up with the blue and orange sides of the game for the right look.

Print at 300dpi for the right size.

Tron-Cards.jpgTron-Cards.jpg

#40 9 years ago

Thanks Aurich! These look awesome!

#41 9 years ago

I like the yellow cards, as it gives my collection a true arcade feel. I love the old school school original cards on games like my KISS and Space Invaders. I think custom cards can sometimes make a game look cheap. Just my opinion.

Hey -even Tom Arnold found Rosanne to be sexy...

#42 9 years ago

At first I thought the yellow cards was referring to white cards yellowed from old, and smoke.

Then I realized you guys are talking about Sterns cards which are actually colored yellow.

#43 9 years ago

Will MMr ship with coin cards?

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Too lazy to care. I play my machines, not glue action figures to them.

This^^ Who the hell cares.
    I dont think half the people here on pinside even play pinball.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from motorbreth77:

I agree. They treat the machines like a bunch of precious moments dolls.

#46 9 years ago

soooo... do you think they're going to remake tron?

#47 9 years ago

The cards are suppose to draw a customers attention to inform them on how to play and how much the game costs. Before they lose interest and a play a video game. So yellow is a good color. If they matched the artwork then they would be invisible. you should keep them incase the next owner wants to operate the game.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from motorbreth77:

I think you are underestimating.

#49 9 years ago

I always print new instruction and free play pricing cards (original text) on white paper and put them over the originals. The originals I get in the games I buy usually look pretty worn, if they're present at all.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I like the yellow cards, as it gives my collection a true arcade feel. I love the old school school original cards on games like my KISS and Space Invaders. I think custom cards can sometimes make a game look cheap. Just my opinion.
    Hey -even Tom Arnold found Rosanne to be sexy...

+1….this!
    Exactly why I leave them too.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ugly-yellow-pricing-cards-why-keep-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.