21%
  • MMR 32 votes
    21%
  • DI 30 votes
    20%
  • SW 7 votes
    5%

(149 votes)

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

My family (3 kids ages 11, 9, 6 and wife) has been bit by the pinball bug and as we finish remodeling our basement, we have been trying to settle on what will be our first machine. We hit the SFGE and played a ton of the top titles and have been playing a bunch of VPX to try to get a feel of what we like (i realize it's not the same) and have it narrowed down to (in no particular order):

1. WoZ
-wife favorite (but, she likely will play the least, if at all)
-love the build
-I don't care for theme
-might bore kids
-$$$$
2. DI
-Haven't put much time in on this game
-looks fantastic
-theme is meh as many have said
-$$$$
3. MET Premium
-youngest son could not be separated from this game at SFGE
-good tunes
-fun and fast
-worry that it will tire quickly
-the endless mods look sick as hell
4. AFMRe
-a classic
-kids love it
5. MMR
-same as AFMRe
-not sure on which theme is better between this and AFMRe
6. Star Wars
-its star wars
-looks barren to me
-doesn't seem like good value compared to the others
-not to keen on getting a brand new, code incomplete stern game after reading these horror threads here.

I been pouring over videos, posts here, facebook and hitting whatever local spots I can that have these games to play but still can't commit. How the hell do you guys decide? lol

#2 6 years ago

Give up on the idea of 'keepers'. Pick your favourite choice knowing you WILL have all of them in time. Then rotate through your lineup as space and money allows.

#3 6 years ago

Happy wife, happy life...2nd choice: AFM/MM for the kids. You'll be happy with any.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Happy wife, happy life...2nd choice: AFM/MM for the kids. You'll be happy with any.

I haven't played DI - but it is getting good reviews. Any of those you have listed are fantastic. (Not sure about StarWars ... premium looks good to me - but it will be a bit of a wait to get it I think).

#5 6 years ago

My wife really likes pinball but rarely plays. I no longer buy titles she likes that I don't like, because then they just sit there unplayed most of the time.

#6 6 years ago

For 7 grand (and up in some cases) would you consider 2 or maybe 3 90s B/W games? That's the way I would go.

#7 6 years ago

You can get both SM and PotC or Met pro and Tspp

IMO Met pro is probably the best pro pin of the pro/premium era (although *I* also love TWD pro)

Of the list you gave I'm getting Woz but then I already have 9 other pins.

#8 6 years ago

One of these WOZ, AFM, DI, MET. Forget the MMR or Star Wars.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

My wife really likes pinball but rarely plays. I no longer buy titles she likes that I don't like, because then they just sit there unplayed most of the time.

I went through that stage as well. I don't even consider that factor anymore because I'm the only one that plays in my home regardless of what game I buy.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

For 7 grand (and up in some cases) would you consider 2 or maybe 3 90s B/W games? That's the way I would go.

I know it's heresy here but I really don't like the old 90s games (besides mm and afm). We played a ton of them and they all felt incredibly dated and boring.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

3. MET Premium
-good tunes
-fun and fast

The code is really deep & super fun. One you learn the rhyme & reason behind everything, there's no way you can tire of it quickly, IMO.

Quoted from GrimDog:

2. DI
-looks fantastic
-$$$$

I've been on the "meh theme" bandwagon and pretty "whatever" about Dialed In ....I finally played it this weekend, and I have to say - I really liked it. If I was in the market for a new game today, DI would be the one I'd buy. What seemed stupid before playing it completely changes while you're playing it. It feels great, like a classic B/W game...shots are satisfying, the presentation is polished. Shot paths are unexpected with lots of hidden secrets like a trap door on the left orbit, divertors, magnets, etc. I love when one shot can have multiple outcomes. Little things like the shaker rumbling whenever the train comes by...if "feels" like a train! The selfie mode is just funny and modern...anyone watching during that mode starts cracking up.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The code is really deep & super fun. One you learn the rhyme & reason behind everything, there's no way you can tire of it quickly, IMO.

I've been on the "meh theme" bandwagon and pretty "whatever" about Dialed In ....I finally played it this weekend, and I have to say - I really liked it. If I was in the market for a new game today, DI would be the one I'd buy. What seemed stupid before playing it completely changes while you're playing it. It feels great, like a classic B/W game...shots are satisfying, the presentation is polished. Shot paths are unexpected with lots of hidden secrets like a trap door on the left orbit, divertors, magnets, etc. I love when one shot can have multiple outcomes. Little things like the shaker rumbling whenever the train comes by...if "feels" like a train! The selfie mode is just funny and modern...anyone watching during that mode starts cracking up.

I only got to put 3 games in on it at the SFGE and I could barely hear shit. It was way more fun than I thought it would be in those few games I played. I wish there was a DI local so I could get some time with it.

#13 6 years ago

Grim,

you did exactly what you should do....play a game first, and then decide if you like it.

I'll second the recommendation for a Met Pro. There's almost no gameplay difference between Pro and Prem/LE, and you can use the extra $$ to mod it up if you want (like a ColorDMD - highly recommended). Also, you can use the Pinball Browser to switch out the songs if you feel like it.

For a similar experience, did you get a chance to try Aerosmith? I like it as much as Metallica, and the new LCD is super cool....

Later,
EV

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

I know it's heresy here but I really don't like the old 90s games (besides mm and afm). We played a ton of them and they all felt incredibly dated and boring.

They get a little better if you upgrade them with a bunch of mods so they don't look all dark and old, but you are not alone on this.

Based on your descriptions, Metallica is the clear winner because it sounds like it would get played the most. The remakes sound like they should be next in line. I would probably jump Metallica just to get in on the AFMrLE, but that is probably because I am currently waiting for one...and I have Metallica to play while I (impatiently) wait. Based on a recent Stern ad, it sounds like Metallica may be going out of production for a while soon. That might be a good idea to jump on that one now too. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. MMR is on my list, but there are no more LEs, and it probably won't go out of production, so I think there is more incentive to get Met or AFMrLE right now.

BTW,
I have had Met for 3 years, and I am not tired of it yet. For comparison, I sold AC/DC after two years, and rarely played it for the last year.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

That's cool. I'm just suggesting a different approach. Multiple pins are always better than one. It could be the greatest ever made, it will still get stale after a while in a home setting.

I also second the vote for MET. Absolutely fantastic game. Mine will be here for a long time. Beware though, it does have lots of adult language (if that's an issue for you). In the settings you can turn it off, but it just gets bleeped out.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

That's cool. I'm just suggesting a different approach. Multiple pins are always better than one. It could be the greatest ever made, it will still get stale after a while in a home setting.

I fully expect to own a ton in a few years because I am an impulsive collector of things...the first pin is causing me headaches though lol

#17 6 years ago

For your first game, buy what you want the most. I remember getting TSPP as my first and I've been happy ever since.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

They get a little better if you upgrade them with a bunch of mods so they don't look all dark and old, but you are not alone on this.
Based on your descriptions, Metallica is the clear winner because it sounds like it would get played the most. The remakes sound like they should be next in line. I would probably jump Metallica just to get in on the AFMrLE, but that is probably because I am currently waiting for one...and I have Metallica to play while I (impatiently) wait. Based on a recent Stern ad, it sounds like Metallica may be going out of production for a while soon. That might be a good idea to jump on that one now too. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. MMR is on my list, but there are no more LEs, and it probably won't go out of production, so I think there is more incentive to get Met or AFMrLE right now.
BTW,
I have had Met for 3 years, and I am not tired of it yet. For comparison, I sold AC/DC after two years, and rarely played it for the last year.

This is good insight. I really am having a sequencing issue here. I fully expect to own all these titles at some point but am just figuring out which to get first due to some/all of the factors you went into (production, availability, etc)

#19 6 years ago

I want to vote for DI or woz, but the price is a lot to risk without absolutely loving the game. I would go the 2 Stern's route for about the same$9k. Metallica pro, and one of the following to compliment it in tspp, lotr, potc, xmen. I used to base my choices on family picks, but eventually I'm about the only one that plays them. GL.

#20 6 years ago

MET - By far. MET has the advantage of being able to play it multiple ways. New players can be taught it is a bash game. Do this thing over and over, poof, multiball. But then it has another layer of rules that go much deeper. Crank It Up is a blast, and is hard enough to complete that it stays interesting. The game just keeps on giving.

WOZ is also a good choice because it has a story that builds, but smaller things that are easy to explain.

AFM is a wonderful game. Fun and interesting, but a bit simple by today's standards. I always enjoy playing it, but you can do well on the game just flailing and keeping the ball going. I tend to lean towards games where the rules are not so straight.

I only have a few games played on DI and Star Wars, so I won't be much help. SW was fun. DI, I didn't know enough to make a call yet.

Finally MMR. MM has never worked for me. I laugh at the humor in AFM, but MM leaves me cold. I'm not saying it doesn't deserve the reverence it gets, but I've never had fun playing it. It just doesn't suit my eye.

#21 6 years ago

When in doubt...eeny meeny miny moe...

#22 6 years ago

I started my collection with WOZ, and it's never leaving. But a great entry level game that all people can enjoy is AFM.

#23 6 years ago

You can't go wrong with AFM, MM, Met or WOZ. If you buy WOZ it may never leave your collection (or shouldn't!). I would go with Metallica - you may find yourself bored with AFM and/or MM, as they are kind of easy, and Metallica is a slightly unusual layout, fun in general. WOZ is so deep you will play it over and over again -IF- you arent' turned off by the theme. That is an expensive machine if nobody's going to play it. IMO you can pick any of those and it will be a great decision. Dont' buy SW unless it's a Data East.

#24 6 years ago

MET Pro would be my pick out of the ones that you listed but why not a more family fun oriented game like Aerosmith? TWD is also extremely good but it's pretty brutal and your wife and kids may not like it. AFM and MMR are good as well but I personally like newer games with a deeper rule set. Right now at my house, AS is the go to game. Everyone loves it, noobs and good pinball players alike.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

MET Pro would be my pick out of the ones that you listed but why not a more family fun oriented game like Aerosmith? TWD is also extremely good but it's pretty brutal and your wife and kids may not like it. AFM and MMR are good as well but I personally like newer games with a deeper rule set. Right now at my house, AS is the go to game. Everyone loves it, noobs and good pinball players alike.

I played AS for the first time a few weeks ago and boy did I enjoy it. There are lots of surprises and cool shots to keep you interested. I can't say how deep the game is but it's fun!

#26 6 years ago

MET

for me actually the best STERN (but its personal taste of course)

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I played AS for the first time a few weeks ago and boy did I enjoy it. There are lots of surprises and cool shots to keep you interested. I can't say how deep the game is but it's fun!

Yes it is tons of fun, Pro model and Premium both. The rules aren't really that deep like alot of games and they are pretty easy to understand. The toy box is cool but forget about that because it's the gameplay and the modes that is really cool more than anything.

Aerosmith is an absolutely gorgeous pinball machine with probably the best artwork of any game ever, it has great music, great sound, a great light show, and it's just fun as hell. The more you play it, the more addicted that you become with it. AS is not a one trick pony and it is a keeper big time!

#28 6 years ago

I would get a Metallica Pro and another used game. Trust me, you'll want a second game in short order.

#29 6 years ago

The most enjoyed game by my wife and our 7 and 11 yr old is AFM. Easy to understand and get something going yet challenging enough to keep a good player coming back. I've owned mine for about 9 yrs and I was forbidden from selling it. My 7 yr old likes do play split Flipper on it as well.

#30 6 years ago

I'd put that money into a couple of games, or maybe even three. More games are always better. The variety is key.

#31 6 years ago

agree with others who say don't think in context of "keepers"...I have owned several keepers and all are gone...you will get bored of ANY game no matter how expensive or exclusive or classic or highly regarded - especially in a small collection. If you are like me and not someone who can afford to have 100k + worth of machines at home and just keep ADDING more machines well then you need to get comfortable with obtaining a "grail" game and then saying goodbye to it to make room and cash for the next one. Would I love to have my Metallica Premium, AFM or others back in hand? HELL YES! but truthfully I grew bored of each after some period of time and had my eye on something else...

Don't stress too much. out of that list I would go with Metallica Premium...its an absolute blast to play and mod and can be obtained for about 6k. After that I would go with Star Wars or Dialed in.

#32 6 years ago

Well as many have said already, I would go with a Met pro and I did. I just bought one and it was delivered last week. Part of the deciding factor is that I think they will stop making them shortly and I really enjoy the music. I did play the game a few times before purchasing and I was under the impression that the game was more hit sparky and repeat. I was worried that would get old and I wouldn't like the game. Now that I have played it every night for the last week, there is so much more to the game that can't be explained quickly. So many different paths to take in that game. If you go with a Met pro you can do what others have stated, and get a second game rather quickly like LOTR or TSPP. I have TSPP and will tell you they compliment each other greatly. When Met kicks my ass and I get tired of the fast pace, I go to TSPP and get my ass kicked some more. Good luck in your decision as it is a tough one. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above. One more thing. There is a lot of adult language (more than I would have thought) in Met, but with the adult content turned off my kids (3 and 5) have no idea what they are trying to say.

#33 6 years ago

I recently made a similar decision. SW, DI, MMr, or AFMr.

AFMr LE is on order.

Happy I got to play most of those titles recently at Pintastic. AFMr was just bright and fun to play - an easy selection in the end.

#34 6 years ago

My vote is with MM since it was my "gateway" pin. Was lukewarm on the concept of owning pins until I played the crappy MM at the Pinball Hall of fame. Part way through ball 2 (first game) told my husband I wanted "the one with the castle" and I didn't care what it cost. It's been downhill since then.

#35 6 years ago

One thing to add is that any game can get old - especially if it's your only pin that gets played constantly. Having more than one pin also means more people can play at once. Not much fun for low skill players having to wait a long time to just play for a little bit.

I would recommend checking out MET pro. Gameplay is basically identical and you save a lot of money. I would also avoid games that were just announced like Star Wars. Sometimes new games have qc or tech issues so good to wait a little while to see how the game develops. Best thing is to play these games as much as you can and see which ones keep you hitting the start button more.

#36 6 years ago

MMR crushing the poll but MET crushing the comments

#37 6 years ago

Have not played DI or SW, so I can't speak to those two, but of the other 4...my vote would be for MET.

I have a modded Pro and it gets the most play time at my house.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

Have not played DI or SW, so I can't speak to those two, but of the other 4...my vote would be for MET.
I have a modded Pro and it gets the most play time at my house.

Which WoZ do you have? Sell me that LOTR, I am right down the road lol.

#39 6 years ago

WOZ is an RR and its a beauty. I catch myself just standing there and watching the light show sometimes.

Sorry, but LOTR is not leaving until I get to Valinor....so it is never leaving.

#40 6 years ago

Personally I would get a DI or any JJP game. The game is just great and you will start liking the story of the game as you play it actually. It truly crosses the divide of old school fun of pinball and fun gimmicks like the camera/cell phone app that work into the gameplay. JJP tech support is top notch too. Jack puts his name on his stuff and stands by it. Their operator menu options are extensive as well as doing tech on it. That is the other factor to consider because games tend to break.

Games tend to multiply though and I would get everything from that list except for SW. SW when I played it at Pintastic felt like a great on route game to make tons of money or a tourney game. It's not the type of game to have "fun" though or spend like $5,600 on. I showed my dad the weird square notch at the bottom of SW and AS when they were upright being packed at Pintastic and a DI. The build quality is much superior. Stern is now using this weird cabinet joint design and JJP is using normal cabinet frame design.

Don't get me wrong I like SW and Stern games but you get what you pay for as the saying goes.

#41 6 years ago

I would go for AFMr or MMr. All-time greats for a reason. Hard to beat either one of those games.

#42 6 years ago

If your looking for durability and staying power...... Met is all that. Sam system on a fantastic game. Too many unknowns with this new stuff and board repair is almost nonexistent.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

If your looking for durability and staying power...... Met is all that. Sam system on a fantastic game. Too many unknowns with this new stuff and board repair is almost nonexistent.

Faced the same situation myself and got MMR. No regrets. The fight then becomes fighting the urge of overbuying pins....

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

MMR crushing the poll but MET crushing the comments

Most of us have been pushing Met Pro which was not in your poll.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

Help! I'm having a heart attack!!!!

New money in this hobby, just blows my mind. Good luck with your choice.

#46 6 years ago

How do I decide? By making up my own mind and not going off the hype any of the others post.

#47 6 years ago

My advice get what you want since most likely you will be the main player. I have the Met pro and find it exceptional. I would keep cost down and parlay another pin.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Most of us have been pushing Met Pro which was not in your poll.

True, but I wouldn't get a Met Pro so I didn't include it.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

My family (3 kids ages 11, 9, 6 and wife) has been bit by the pinball bug and as we finish remodeling our basement, we have been trying to settle on what will be our first machine. We hit the SFGE and played a ton of the top titles and have been playing a bunch of VPX to try to get a feel of what we like (i realize it's not the same) and have it narrowed down to (in no particular order):
1. WoZ
-wife favorite (but, she likely will play the least, if at all)
-love the build
-I don't care for theme
-might bore kids
-$$$$
2. DI
-looks fantastic
-$$$$
3. MET Premium
-good tunes
-fun and fast
4. AFMRe
-a classic
-kids love it
5. MMR
-same as AFMRe
-not sure on which theme is better between this and AFMRe
6. Star Wars
-its star wars
-looks barren to me
-doesn't seem like good value compared to the others
-not to keen on getting a brand new, code incomplete stern game after reading these horror threads here.
I been pouring over videos, posts here, facebook and hitting whatever local spots I can that have these games to play but still can't commit. How the hell do you guys decide? lol

I have played all the games except Star Wars. Star Wars looks to barren, I won't be buying it ever. I owned WOZ for about 8 months, then we sold it. Kids didn't take to it at all, it was too hard and they couldn't follow the complex ruleset. We now own a MET Pro, my wife and kids love it, best pin we've ever owned. Buy MET, you won't regret it. I've played DI a few times, it's ok, way too expensive though for me.

#50 6 years ago

Not a bad choice on that list, although Star Wars might be little rough on the kiddos. My kids are a bit older (14 and 16) but if I were buying my first machine it would be Dialed In. We played on location with a lot of good machines (TZ, GOT, TH, Woz etc..) and my kids played about 5 times the amount of games on DI than the others. I was also meh on the whole theme and walked away extremely impressed. I have an Aerosmith on the way, but if I didn't, my $$ would be going to JJP.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ughhow-do-you-decide?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.