(Topic ID: 253576)

Ugh... what's the best way to fix these playfield gouges?

By drsfmd

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Djshakes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3ED2EFFD-4A2B-4694-9605-8365FDA0C1A9 (resized).jpeg
93A395B2-EB8D-4464-8BC3-7B65036CCE1E (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I picked up a Bally Cue Tease yesterday (an early Ted Zale game - WHOO HOO!). It's in really nice shape overall, with a fantastic backglass. There's one broken plastic I'll try to hunt down or reproduce. Within a couple of hours of tinkering, I had it running, and it seems to work quite well.

The only negative is that someone gouged up a section of the playfield. Is a waterslide the best fix for this, or should I look into other methods?

IMG_0802 (resized).jpgIMG_0802 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Unless your going to tear it down and do a full restore, give it a good glean and wax job then slap some mylar over the gauges.

#3 4 years ago

I would just clean it and touch it up

#4 4 years ago

I would, in this order:
clean the playfield really good,
touch up the color’s,
gently fill the gouges with poly-acrylic, PF level.
then slap a piece of Mylar over the space in this shape.
Wax and play!

93A395B2-EB8D-4464-8BC3-7B65036CCE1E (resized).jpeg93A395B2-EB8D-4464-8BC3-7B65036CCE1E (resized).jpeg
#5 4 years ago

For it to look decent and last you would have to build up to the height of the original paint.

I have used spray paint, sprayed into a cup and brushed on.
Why?
It drys quickly and builds well. If you use a small enough brush and only paint the inside the scratches it usually looks good.
It is very durable. I did a Big Brave this way and it looked good for 10 years and nearly 3000 plays. YMMV

If you get color that is close you can mix spray paint in the cup to better match it.
It is hit or miss but I have had good results.

You can coat your touched up area with Varethane semi gloss or satin finish. Only coat that area.
If you do a full restore down the road the Varethane can be removed with Xylene. It will not remove your touch ups.

The red should be an easy match. The white will be more difficult due to the yellowing.

Down side to spray bomb method is that they cost adds up. $4 to $5 a can.

2 months later
#6 4 years ago

Here’s the after photo. Suffice it to say I’m very pleased with the results.

3ED2EFFD-4A2B-4694-9605-8365FDA0C1A9 (resized).jpeg3ED2EFFD-4A2B-4694-9605-8365FDA0C1A9 (resized).jpeg
#7 4 years ago

ME TOO !!

#8 4 years ago

Talk us through what you did, looks great!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Talk us through what you did, looks great!

I can’t take credit. My buddy Jaymach1 did it. Color matching and filling the scratch with auto clear coat. As you can see from the pictures, his work is simply amazing.

#10 4 years ago

And here’s the Problem. I’m not suggesting you didn’t do lovely work. Just showing another view. In my view I t earned a bunch of scars and history and you scrubbed them out and made it look like a repro. Basically it’s a copy now. It’s not original. Given a choice I would buy the original over this one at the same price. Just another view....i think you ruined its originality

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

And here’s the Problem. I’m not suggesting you didn’t do lovely work. Just showing another view. In my view I t earned a bunch of scars and history and you scrubbed them out and made it look like a repro. Basically it’s a copy now. It’s not original. Given a choice I would buy the original over this one at the same price. Just another view....i think you ruined its originality

I understand that sentiment. I often feel the same way about needless restorations, but I think this one was warranted and it looks great!

#12 4 years ago

@drsfmd, please be sure to post plenty of photos of the completed game. This is one you don't see every day.

#13 4 years ago

That came out awesome! I love that playfield art, the chic in the middle looks like a naughty teacher

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

I’ve read a lot of dumb posts on pinside, but this one may take the cake. Those gouges weren’t “earned” scars, they were vandalism, and deep enough to make the ball change direction. They needed to be fixed or the playfield was junk, and this game is just too rare to be junked.

Would you not bother to repair damage to your car? Why is this somehow different?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I’ve read a lot of dumb posts on pinside, but this one may take the cake. Those gouges weren’t “earned” scars, they were vandalism, and deep enough to make the ball change direction. They needed to be fixed or the playfield was junk, and this game is just too rare to be junked.
Would you not bother to repair damage to your car? Why is this somehow different?

My ex girlfriend keyed my drivers door and put a brick through the windshield of my mint 68 Chevelle. I like it better now. Shows it’s “history” gives it a nice “patina”

I with you man. That game looks so great with those touch ups!

1 week later
#16 4 years ago

Fabulous work.
That game will live on for many years and be very desirable to 99.99% of pinheads and non pinheads as a beautiful example of that title.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Agreed. Man there are some dumb people here.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ugh-what-s-the-best-way-to-fix-these-playfield-gouges- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.