3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Cheddar
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    2021-04-01 08.41.59 (resized).jpg
    2021-04-01 07.43.52 (resized).jpg
    2021-04-01 07.42.26 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I was looking at the schematics, datasheets, and online discussions about the 6118 and gottlieb glass and how to test them.

First the glass: The schematic shows heater (filament) power on pins 1 and 35. Gottlieb used 5VAC but I am using DC. The important thing is they do not glow.
    To drive the segments you have to choose a digit. I chose D6 and applied 12VDC to pins 2 & 5 to select it. Then I applied 12VDC to pin h to light the center-vertical "1" segment. I was suspicious this segment was shorted and the test verified this. 2021-04-01 07.42.26 (resized).jpg2021-04-01 07.42.26 (resized).jpg

I then moved the segment selector to pin 9 to test segment e (lower left) and it worked as expected.2021-04-01 07.43.52 (resized).jpg2021-04-01 07.43.52 (resized).jpg

At 12VDC the segments were dim. This display was nice and bright so this looks normal. On dim displays that need recharging they might not be visible and an attempt to recharge should be done first.

Then I went to test the 6118. I made a quick tester that supplies 5VDC to the chip via pin 10 with ground on pin 9. I wired up leds with inline resistors. Applying 3.3VDC to pins 1-8 would apply send 5VDC out the corresponding pins 11-18 to ground through the LED.
    2021-04-01 08.41.59 (resized).jpg2021-04-01 08.41.59 (resized).jpg
    This worked very will. I am already looking at another design with momentary switches.

I am concerned about the extremely small load being put through the 6118 may not be a real test. But...it does validate the IC works as intended and open and short circuits should be immediately apparent even at low voltage.

Here is a shaky cam video of it in action:

Observation note: doesn't the driver circuit in the 6118 look just like a higher power version the solenoid circuit in Bally and Williams games? pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Thanks cool! I have a bunch of these on my bench I need to test. I also have a 4 digit display I could use as a test bed.

The glass test can be done on the board without issue. I am getting my voltages from a meanwell RQ-50B

#4 3 years ago

I was pretty sure it would but I wanted to verify it. Works on a DI513 as well

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/udn6118-and-gottlieb-glass-testing?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.