8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm getting the dreaded U42 PIA Failure at boot up and cant get it resolved. I seem to recall a couple years ago I had this happen and it turned out my power supply was on the blink (I think it was the 5v was running low) so I replaced the whole power supply with an aftermarket new power supply unit. The new power supply works like a dream, but the U42 problem has resurfaced. So I took a known good PIA chip and replaced the chip in U42. This did not solve the problem. I then double checked the power supply and I'm getting 5v perfectly at all the usual places on the board. I can see no blatantly obvious problems with or around the U41 or U42 area. My only guess is that there is a bad connection or solder joint somewhere through a trace or at the actual U42?? Any one have any trouble shooting ideas that I can look into?? The game doesnt get played much but is in excellent shape in a super clean and dry environment so I just cant figure out how it would randomly go bad??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/u42-pia-failure-wont-fix-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.