New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 266915)

U25 Ram Failure

By fossmin

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by pinballplusMN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Untitled (resized).png
IMG_7067 (resized).JPG
IMG_7066 (resized).JPG
IMG_7065 (resized).JPG
IMG_7064 (resized).JPG

#1 6 months ago

Changed the batteries in my Earthshaker and now when I turn it on I am getting a U25 Ram Failure. What would this be? Thanks

#2 6 months ago

First place to start is the power supply. Had it happen twice.

#3 6 months ago

Test each battery where the battery terminal meets the board. You should be 1.5v at each battery. If you don't, then the battery holder has a problem.

#4 6 months ago

batteries installed backwards?

#5 6 months ago

Do you have a remote battery holder installed?
Can we see a pic of the battery holder including the area around it?
Do you have a DMM and do you feel comfortable using it?

If so, then...
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Testing_for_Battery_Backup_Power_at_the_RAM_.28U25.29
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#6 6 months ago

So yeah, I had a PinGizmos remote battery holder. In the course of removing it (it was tight as hell), two of the outside washers on the outside of the holder came off. So I know I need to get the holder replaced now. However, shouldn't the game boot up without batteries in it. It just won't save settings. It was working fine before I changed the batteries. Now the U25 failure. Just seems odd.

Thanks

IMG_7064 (resized).JPGIMG_7065 (resized).JPGIMG_7066 (resized).JPGIMG_7067 (resized).JPG
#8 6 months ago

bottom right battery holder terminal looks to be missing the contact point.

Untitled (resized).png
#9 6 months ago

Yes that happened removing the remote battery holder. Problem existed before the contact came off.

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

bottom right battery holder terminal looks to be missing the contact point.[quoted image]

B1- also looks to be missing one.

I suggest having 6116 NVRAM installed if you are not able to solder. Removing batteries from this nice original board seems like a no brainer to me. chrishibler or barakandl can install one for you.

#11 6 months ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Yes that happened removing the remote battery holder. Problem existed before the contact came off.

Broken terminal likely puts the batteries out of circuit.

Just thinking some more.... if it was a battery issue the game would be saying "ADJUSTMENT FAILURE" or "RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS". The RAM fail message may be indicating the ram chip is indeed bad or it cannot be accessed.

Circuit board likely needs serviced one way or the other. I don't think the broken battery terminals is going to work out despite the ram fail message. How can batteries be in circuit reliably when the contact is busted off? Take Tony's advice in a comment above. Power supply problems can give you IC failure message in system 11. Usually a PIA fail message, but worth checking.

If you want to check the batteries are in good take a volts DC measurement across pin 12 and 24 of the battery backed 6116 RAM chip. If missing probe points backwards towards the battery terminal, like across the terminals with busted contacts.

I don't service boards anymore. Normally point people to Jerry C and he takes good care of it. His contact info on pinrepair.

http://www.pinrepair.com/parts.htm

#12 6 months ago

Power board. Check the power board. Had the same issues on 2 different machines. Found it to be the power board!

#13 6 months ago

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will send this board and my power board while I'm at it out for service.

But can someone answer this, will the game fire up and play with no batteries in it board if all boards are in good shape?

Thanks

#14 6 months ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will send this board and my power board while I'm at it out for service.
But can someone answer this, will the game fire up and play with no batteries in it board if all boards are in good shape?
Thanks

Only if you can get past adjustment failure message. In system 6-7 you can have the coin door open and power cycle twice a few times and it hits attract mode with out batteries. What the trick actually is doing is flicking the power switch on and off quickly lets the game format the RAM chip but since you are power cycle quickly the RAM is not getting corrupted from lack of batteries in the quick power off cycle. I don't know if that works in system 11, never tried. If you flip the power on and off a few times in a row with the coin door open and it still just says u25 fail and never adjustment failure, or factory settings restored. Its not going to work.

#15 6 months ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Thanks

You essentially have no batteries connected since the batteries are in series and not getting the full 1.5x3 voltage to the RAM.

Yes, if you are actually able to exit the adjustment menu, you can play the game. You'll have to do this every time you turn on the game. NVRAM is the best option.

Quoted from barakandl:

What the trick actually is doing is flicking the power switch on and off quickly lets the game format the RAM chip but since you are power cycle quickly the RAM is not getting corrupted from lack of batteries in the quick power off cycle. I don't know if that works in system 11, never tried.

I never had any luck with system 11 games doing the power cycle quickly.

#16 6 months ago
Quoted from tonyhoff1:

Power board. Check the power board. Had the same issues on 2 different machines. Found it to be the power board!

What would one be looking for on the power board? Low 5V? I have a pinbot that occasionally gives me this U25 RAM failure error upon boot.

#17 6 months ago

Not getting the right voltage. I would almost guarantee you rebuild or replace that board issue will be gone!

#18 6 months ago
Quoted from jeffc:

What would one be looking for on the power board? Low 5V? I have a pinbot that occasionally gives me this U25 RAM failure error upon boot.

That would be the only reason i could see the power supply is at fault. Do you have the original power supply with the original capacitors installed?

C30 capacitor on the CPU board could cause random failures as you see. Do you have batteries on your CPU? If so, what is the voltage at U25 pin 24?

#19 6 months ago

I replaced it with a rottondog. Issues were gone. Now I also bought another one to test that issue with. I work for a lot of operators. If you were local I would say come get one and try it. Or if you have another system 11 game pull the power supply and try it!

#20 6 months ago

I had a pinbot that I replaced batteries and than got the message. I attributed to static as it was pretty dry in the basment.
The ram was toast. Sucked because the customer was their and what turned out to be a simple fix of adjust failure turned into a bigger deal. At least he got a NV ram out of it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gresham, OR
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oviedo, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
3,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plymouth, MN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside