• 24 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mitchb2
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello,

I have a TZ that worked great and then started resetting.
I did as much troubleshooting that I could find online and finally replaced the driver board with a new Rotten Dog board.
The machine no longer resets, but the flippers are all weak. Kickouts, bumpers, slingshots fire fine.

I cleaned the optos, the EOS switches work.
I removed the Fliptronics board and inspected it for anything obvious. Everything looks pristine. Also checked the fuses.

When I reinstalled the Fliptronics board and powered on the machine, the line fuse blew.

So I'm concerned. Not being a tech I'm a little worried about replacing the fuse and trying again.
Or would you recommend that I do that? After all, the fuse has never blown before and maybe it was just its time to go.

How could installing the Fliptronics board cause an issue so bad that the line fuse blew?
I ordered a new board from Rotten Dog and it's coming today. But I'm afraid to put it in because I don't want to damage anything.

Advice appreciated.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from mitchb2:

How could installing the Fliptronics board cause an issue so bad that the line fuse blew?

Didn't plug a ribbon cable on right ? Grey cable, one edge has a red stripe, that side goes to the pin one mark on the board. And don't be off a row left or right.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Holy cow, one of the ribbon connectors was off a whole row.

So I should replace the line fuse and fire it up?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Didn't plug a ribbon cable on right ? Grey cable, one edge has a red stripe, that side goes to the pin one mark on the board. And don't be off a row left or right.

LTG,
I have read many of your suggestions to tech questions and you are good. This one just for some reason shocked me. Are you in is house?

Quoted from mitchb2:Holy cow, one of the ribbon connectors was off a whole row.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from mitchb2:

Let her rip !

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Paul1478:

LTG,
I have read many of your suggestions to tech questions and you are good. This one just for some reason shocked me. Are you in is house?

Thank you for the kind words my friend.

I'm just sitting here killing time in between tech support help for JJP and PPS/CGC. I was up early and cleaned a few games. Maybe clean a few more in eleven hours after I close.

And thinking of easy stuff first. He would have had to have been real creative to blow the main fuse if not a ribbon cable.

#7 6 years ago

Yeah, before posting here I read the entire thread about weak flippers started by a guy named Chet.
LGT showed his skills there.

But the story had no end! I assume Chet bought a Rotten Dog board and lived happily ever after.

#8 6 years ago

I installed the new Fliptronics board. No change. Disappointing.

Test report is telling me to check EOS switches. What do I check? They're normally open, right? So what is it flagging?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from mitchb2:

Test report is telling me to check EOS switches. What do I check? They're normally open, right? So what is it flagging?

It's letting you know one or more aren't working.

Switch Edge Test - move the flippers back and forth. All four should register a EOS closure. If any don't, check all four EOS switches for a broken wire.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from mitchb2:

I installed the new Fliptronics board. No change. Disappointing.

Go into the switch test and manually extend the flipper bats to see if they all register. If not, you have a broken wire or a EOS contact that is needing to be clean or replace as needed.

LTG beat me to it by seconds.

#11 6 years ago

Yes, all four register when I manually extend the flipper.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from mitchb2:

Yes, all four register when I manually extend the flipper.

Then the error should clear.

Try a factory reset and see if it returns.

#13 6 years ago

Factory reset cleared the errors. Thanks.

The flipper situation is slightly better with the new board. The lower left and upper right flippers extend all the way (but not with enough power to hit a ball), the other two just flutter. With the old board all four fluttered.

Flippers behave the same in test and gameplay.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from mitchb2:

Flippers behave the same in test and gameplay.

Weird. I wonder if new ribbon cables and new fliptronics board would help ?

#15 6 years ago

Assuming 'In test mode' means you hit the flipper buttons, when you run the flipper test in the Test menu, to the strong coils fire the bats completely, and do the hold coils slightly or weakly move the bats?

#16 6 years ago

In test mode Hold does nothing.
Strong coil test only slightly moves them, exactly like they move in gameplay.

Also, if I manually extend a flipper and press the button, it doesn't hold.
Except for the lower left which now holds on its own. It didn't do that with the old board.

This machine is so close to being played!

#17 6 years ago

20 VDC at flipper coils!

Test point on driver board all measure what they should. +50 actually measures 72 VDC.

#18 6 years ago

Well, there's why they're weak. Now, gotta find out why it's at +20v. Start checking voltage all the way from the power board to the input plug on the fliptronics board, and then through that..

#19 6 years ago

J105 connector was plugged in upside down.

Dumb.

Machine plays great now!
Thanks for all the replies. I learned a lot.

#20 6 years ago

Since last weekend I got one weak flipper (top right)... Advices noted... I'll try to check it out next weekend...

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Since last weekend I got one weak flipper (top right)... Advices noted... I'll try to check it out next weekend...

AlexSMendes let me know what you find. I have a weak upper right flipper too. And the game resets after pushing both flippers during the first couple of games.

#22 6 years ago

Have you guys checked the sleeves? That's what it ends up being for me a lot of the time. Make sure you can easily pull the sleeve out from the coil, and make sure it's installed the correct way. I had a weak flipper on my CFTBL which is supposed to have a slightly weaker left flipper coil, but when I sold it the buyer found I had stupidly installed the coil backwards!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from RefugeNate:

And the game resets after pushing both flippers during the first couple of games.

Go through the reset check list :

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#24 6 years ago

After playing for a while (already beat LitZ!) the upper left flipper isn't as strong as it should be.
It makes the piano shot but not as strong as it used to.

I'm going to check for mechanical issues this weekend. I want the machine to be at its best.
I'm expecting to find some mushrooming. I definitely don't expect electrical issues after all this.

The other three flippers are awesome. What a great game. I'll miss it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.50
$ 14.95
$ 12.95
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tzweak-flippers-trying-to-troubleshoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.