(Topic ID: 200875)

TZ - wiring up mods (red & black croc clips, lamp diodes, etc)

By Durzel

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171022_150148 (resized).jpg
IMG_7970 (resized).JPG
IMG_6434 (resized).JPG
IMG_4290 (resized).JPG
IMG_0224 (resized).JPG
IMG_2467 (resized).JPG
camera_insert (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

No.
FFS, this is how a lamp matrix works.
One needs to go on the Yellow wire.
The other needs to go on the UN-BANDED side of the diode - NOT on the red wire.

Otherwise, depending on the lamps in the mod, you are bypassing the lamp matrix diode, which will cause other lamps in the matrix to light when the Camera lamp is on. (However, looking at your camera lamp socket, I can't tell if both red wires are wired to the same lug. They should be.

#9 6 years ago

The diode is the small black cylinder, with two silver-colored leads coming off of it. One end of the diode has a silve band around it - that is the banded (cathode) side. Assuming a lot of things about the mod, since it doesn't seem to be Lermods above, clip one alligator clip to the terminal that the yellow wire is on, and clip the other to the terminal on the socket that is connected to the diode's side that does NOT have the silver band.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

So this is interesting. When I wrote instructions for my camera mod, I wrote them based on connections I made with the game right in front of me. The connections were to the lugs with wires on them and I did not have any lamp issues elsewhere. Now, this was a few years ago and it’s entirely possibke I wrote them incorrectly, but usually my instructions are correct. I don’t have my game anymore so I cannot confirm this, but nobody has come back to me and told me my instructions were wrong. To be safe, I will add a note in my instructions about an alternative connection if an issue arises.

In theory, if you're using a bulb, and not an LED, then adding a bulb from wire-to-wire (and not diode-to-wire), that bulb will bypass the diode, and let current flow to light up other lamps. This would depend on the bulb's resistance, etc as well, affecting the result.
Now, if you have an LED, which is a diode, then if you wire the LED up from wire-to-wire, and the diode's direction matches the same polarity as the diode there on the lamp socket, then.. you'll have no issue. Because the LED is not allowing reverse current, none of the other lamps will light.

So, there are a lot of factors that could cause or prevent other lamps from lighting. (And I haven't even touched on whether the OTHER lamps are LEDs or incandescent, etc..)

Just basing on what @op said in his opening post, I'm taking a guess that the mod has a small bulb in it, and it's bypassing the diod there on the socket.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, too. I often am! Just basing my suggestion on what's been posted so far. I mean, hell, it's possible that his TZ has another socket with a shorted/missing diode, and adding this one just exemplifies the issue.

#15 6 years ago

Good to hear!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 14.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-wiring-up-a-camera-mod?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.