(Topic ID: 200875)

TZ - wiring up mods (red & black croc clips, lamp diodes, etc)

By Durzel

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171022_150148 (resized).jpg
IMG_7970 (resized).JPG
IMG_6434 (resized).JPG
IMG_4290 (resized).JPG
IMG_0224 (resized).JPG
IMG_2467 (resized).JPG
camera_insert (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi,

I've recently bought a refurbished Twilight Zone, which has LEDs installed throughout. It has some mods attached to the playfield, but in some cases (for reasons unknown) they aren't wired in.

One such mod is a camera mod. It has a pair of red and black crocodile clips on the end of the wire, and the install instructions (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B18V2Lyll3xhUXlBZnFOdGRvOWc/view) talk about connecting them to the camera insert. I've looked at this on the underside, and it looks like a lamp diode fitting - but I haven't got a clue where I should attach this red and black crocodile clip. I tried connecting it once already and all I managed to do was end up making multiple lamps light up erroneously at the same time (a short I guess), so have removed them again.

I should say that I'm pretty clueless about electronics beyond the fact that I know red = positive and black = negative.

Here is a photo of the "camera" lamp insert on the playfield:

camera_insert (resized).jpgcamera_insert (resized).jpg

..and here are the two crocodile clips that are currently attached to an inert metal bar:

IMG_2467 (resized).JPGIMG_2467 (resized).JPG

Also - it has a slot machine mod (http://www.pinballdecals.com/TwilightZoneUltimateSlotMachinePage.html) which has three separate circuits for 3 different LEDs (two orange ones either side, a blue one at the top that is supposed to light up when Super Slot door panel is lit, and a third white LED that is supposed to be wired to general illumination). Only the 2 orange ones are currently working. The orange cable pair is wired into a couple of plugs...

IMG_0224 (resized).JPGIMG_0224 (resized).JPG

..the blue pair is soldered directly to the Super Slot location (but doesn't come on when this panel is lit?)

IMG_4290 (resized).JPGIMG_4290 (resized).JPG

..the green pair, which by process of elimination I'm guessing is the white LED and is supposed to be "wired to general illumination" is just hanging there..

IMG_6434 (resized).JPGIMG_6434 (resized).JPG

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide

#2 6 years ago

Assuming the mod is ours, Read step 8 of the instructions in the link you provided. If the mod doesn’t light, reverse the clips, very simple. Pm me with any questions, we will get it going.

#3 6 years ago

The camera mod is yours, I believe.

The problem is not so much that I can't get the mod to illuminate (white LED top, multicoloured one bottom right?), but when it is connected it causes other lamps to come on when they shouldn't. There may be others coming on by mistake too.

For example - with mod connected and on single lamp test on e.g. Super Slot, both Super Slot and The Spiral light up (not ghosting, I mean properly switched on).

I'm presuming I've just wired it wrong, since the mod works, but I don't know how to wire it to the camera insert (first image in my original post). There is a green/yellow wire going to one prong, and two red/green wires going to another side. I don't know based on this where the red/black croc clips should go.

Thanks in advance.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

The camera mod is yours, I believe.
The problem is not so much that I can't get the mod to illuminate (white LED top, multicoloured one bottom right?), but when it is connected it causes other lamps to come on when they shouldn't. There may be others coming on by mistake too.
For example - with mod connected and on single lamp test on e.g. Super Slot, both Super Slot and The Spiral light up (not ghosting, I mean properly switched on).
I'm presuming I've just wired it wrong, since the mod works, but I don't know how to wire it to the camera insert (first image in my original post). There is a green/yellow wire going to one prong, and two red/green wires going to another side. I don't know based on this where the red/black croc clips should go.
Thanks in advance.

Not my mod, we only use blue LEDs in the camera.

#5 6 years ago

Ok thanks, this is what it looks like - it looked like yours from what I could tell, but as I didn't buy the mods originally I couldn't confirm.

IMG_7970 (resized).JPGIMG_7970 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

(white LED top, multicoloured one bottom right?),

uff.

Just put the aligator clips on both arms of the camera insert lamp...where the wires are.

#7 6 years ago

No.
FFS, this is how a lamp matrix works.
One needs to go on the Yellow wire.
The other needs to go on the UN-BANDED side of the diode - NOT on the red wire.

Otherwise, depending on the lamps in the mod, you are bypassing the lamp matrix diode, which will cause other lamps in the matrix to light when the Camera lamp is on. (However, looking at your camera lamp socket, I can't tell if both red wires are wired to the same lug. They should be.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No.
Otherwise, depending on the lamps in the mod, you are bypassing the lamp matrix diode, which will cause other lamps in the matrix to light when the Camera lamp is on. (However, looking at your camera lamp socket, I can't tell if both red wires are wired to the same lug. They should be.

Thanks. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to this stuff I'm afraid.

The camera angle isn't great, but yes both red wires are connected to the same lug. I guess I need to attach the black (or red?) crocodile clip to the lug on the OTHER side? (this is the unbanded side right?)

#9 6 years ago

The diode is the small black cylinder, with two silver-colored leads coming off of it. One end of the diode has a silve band around it - that is the banded (cathode) side. Assuming a lot of things about the mod, since it doesn't seem to be Lermods above, clip one alligator clip to the terminal that the yellow wire is on, and clip the other to the terminal on the socket that is connected to the diode's side that does NOT have the silver band.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The diode is the small black cylinder, with two silver-colored leads coming off of it. One end of the diode has a silve band around it - that is the banded (cathode) side. Assuming a lot of things about the mod, since it doesn't seem to be Lermods above, clip one alligator clip to the terminal that the yellow wire is on, and clip the other to the terminal on the socket that is connected to the diode's side that does NOT have the silver band.

Excellent, thanks, I'll give that a try.

The last time I wired it up I connected the clip to the same lug that the red wires are attached to, and the other clip to the green wired lug, and it behaved exactly as you stated - i.e. more than one lamp would come on during "single lamp" tests.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No.

So this is interesting. When I wrote instructions for my camera mod, I wrote them based on connections I made with the game right in front of me. The connections were to the lugs with wires on them and I did not have any lamp issues elsewhere. Now, this was a few years ago and it’s entirely possibke I wrote them incorrectly, but usually my instructions are correct. I don’t have my game anymore so I cannot confirm this, but nobody has come back to me and told me my instructions were wrong. To be safe, I will add a note in my instructions about an alternative connection if an issue arises.

#12 6 years ago

20171022_150148 (resized).jpg20171022_150148 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

So this is interesting. When I wrote instructions for my camera mod, I wrote them based on connections I made with the game right in front of me. The connections were to the lugs with wires on them and I did not have any lamp issues elsewhere. Now, this was a few years ago and it’s entirely possibke I wrote them incorrectly, but usually my instructions are correct. I don’t have my game anymore so I cannot confirm this, but nobody has come back to me and told me my instructions were wrong. To be safe, I will add a note in my instructions about an alternative connection if an issue arises.

In theory, if you're using a bulb, and not an LED, then adding a bulb from wire-to-wire (and not diode-to-wire), that bulb will bypass the diode, and let current flow to light up other lamps. This would depend on the bulb's resistance, etc as well, affecting the result.
Now, if you have an LED, which is a diode, then if you wire the LED up from wire-to-wire, and the diode's direction matches the same polarity as the diode there on the lamp socket, then.. you'll have no issue. Because the LED is not allowing reverse current, none of the other lamps will light.

So, there are a lot of factors that could cause or prevent other lamps from lighting. (And I haven't even touched on whether the OTHER lamps are LEDs or incandescent, etc..)

Just basing on what @op said in his opening post, I'm taking a guess that the mod has a small bulb in it, and it's bypassing the diod there on the socket.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, too. I often am! Just basing my suggestion on what's been posted so far. I mean, hell, it's possible that his TZ has another socket with a shorted/missing diode, and adding this one just exemplifies the issue.

#14 6 years ago

Just wired it up as instructed by Coyote, and now it's working like a charm with no random lights illuminating. You're an absolute star!

Thanks to everyone for your help. That's one mod sorted, now onto the next ones

#15 6 years ago

Good to hear!

5 months later
#16 6 years ago

Nice!

2 years later
#17 3 years ago

Hi,
Just got the camera mod for TZ but am wondering which playfield hole do you put the cable through??

Could anybody be kind to tell/show me where the camera’s cable has to go to get to the underneath of the playfield?

Thanks guys!

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from ParisPinballAdct:

Hi,
Just got the camera mod for TZ but am wondering which playfield hole do you put the cable through??
Could anybody be kind to tell/show me where the camera’s cable has to go to get to the underneath of the playfield?
Thanks guys!

Hi there,
I guided the camera mod cables under the mini playfield and thru the playfield hole where the cables from the mini playfield are also located.
Hope this helps,
Ronald

2 weeks later
#19 3 years ago
Quoted from RonH:

Hi there,
I guided the camera mod cables under the mini playfield and thru the playfield hole where the cables from the mini playfield are also located.
Hope this helps,
Ronald

thanks mate

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 1,059.00
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-wiring-up-a-camera-mod?hl=parispinballadct and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.