(Topic ID: 254557)

TZ: Weak Magna-Flip & difficult trapping?

By Claster

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I had the good fortune to be able to visit Sunshine Laundromat & Pinball in Brooklyn last week, which has over 30 of the best, rarest, and most beautifully maintained pins I've ever seen. (Downside: $1 per 3-ball game.) I played their Twilight Zone game, and in doing so, realized that the copy I own has comparatively very weak Magna-flip flippers in the upper playfield. The one in Brooklyn really felt like invisible flippers, strongly propelling the ball up, whereas mine seem much more random. Is there any sort of adjustment for this, or a part or parts I need to replace?

Another difference I noticed: on my machine, it's very difficult to trap the ball with the lower flippers. It just keeps on rolling the length of the flipper and down the center. I've tried different rubbers, and that doesn't help it. Anyone got any advice about this?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Claster:

I had the good fortune to be able to visit Sunshine Laundromat & Pinball in Brooklyn last week, which has over 30 of the best, rarest, and most beautifully maintained pins I've ever seen. (Downside: $1 per 3-ball game.) I played their Twilight Zone game, and in doing so, realized that the copy I own has comparatively very weak Magna-flip flippers in the upper playfield. The one in Brooklyn really felt like invisible flippers, strongly propelling the ball up, whereas mine seem much more random. Is there any sort of adjustment for this, or a part or parts I need to replace?

Check your flipper opto boards, it's possible they need cleaning. It could also be due to lower coil voltage and such.

Quoted from Claster:

Another difference I noticed: on my machine, it's very difficult to trap the ball with the lower flippers. It just keeps on rolling the length of the flipper and down the center. I've tried different rubbers, and that doesn't help it. Anyone got any advice about this?

Your game likely has the newer coil stops in it, which limit flipper travel. Mid-run of TZ, they changed the coil stops from A-12111 to A-12390.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Claster:

There are two factors that would affect being able to trap the ball, the playfield pitch, and the angle of the flippers. If you are having trouble trapping the ball, my guess is that your playfield pitch is too low, your flippers are sitting too low, or both.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Your game likely has the newer coil stops in it, which limit flipper travel. Mid-run of TZ, they changed the coil stops from A-12111 to A-12390.

That's another possibility that I hadn't thought of. Show us a photo of your flippers when they are at rest and when they are activated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 9.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-weak-magna-flip-amp-difficult-trapping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.