Topic poll

“TZ vs LOTR vs FH vs TOM”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161029_001858 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170719-082439 (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Just getting the itch to let my ft go that sits next to my TSPP. Narrowed it down to these four, with a lot of givin' thought to it. So, what do you think would go well next to a TSPP? Whats your fav and why if you are feeling like typing it too. I'll be selling the FT quite soon and will be looking to buy.

Thanks dudes. And I know a LOTR next to a TSPP might be a mortal sin, but I am considering it.

Edit: I realise I only put tom as a voting option, accidently clicked enter and now I don't know hot to edit the other three in. Maybe the community can help me with that too, haha.

#2 6 years ago

Either LOTR or TZ, tom is pretty shallow and gets old fast. If you like tinkering, TZ is a better choice. If not, get LOTR.

Fh is a great game too, and at cheaper price. I never tire of Rudy.

#3 6 years ago

TSPP and TZ both have deep rule set. I would probably get something that uses less brain.

#4 6 years ago

Poll?

Screenshot_20170719-082439 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170719-082439 (resized).png

#5 6 years ago

Did you read the first post?

#6 6 years ago

Close the thread and start a new one

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Did you read the first post?

O I C

#8 6 years ago

Poll seems biased...

#9 6 years ago

I own all 4

LOTR > TZ > ToM > FH

For descriptions why you can go back and read the last few hundred times comparisons have been made with these machines.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

Just getting the itch to let my ft go that sits next to my TSPP. Narrowed it down to these four, with a lot of givin' thought to it. So, what do you think would go well next to a TSPP? Whats your fav and why if you are feeling like typing it too. I'll be selling the FT quite soon and will be looking to buy.
Thanks dudes. And I know a LOTR next to a TSPP might be a mortal sin, but I am considering it.
Edit: I realise I only put tom as a voting option, accidently clicked enter and now I don't know hot to edit the other three in. Maybe the community can help me with that too, haha.

Any interest in a great condition DW?

TSPP is a pretty deep game, isn't it? You may want something more "fun" that has shorter games, which would be ToM. The others are right though; that game is a little "too" shallow. So if you're ok with knowing you won't play it every day, its still a great game, and fun. LOTR has legendary status but is a long game, so consider which you're looking for (fun quick vs a long journey)

#11 6 years ago

Tz and lotr are my favorates of all time. Cant go wrong with either.

#12 6 years ago

TZ from that group. Although I've never owned one, I was very close to it at one point.

#13 6 years ago

I own tz and lotr and I suggest getting twilight zone it is a great game good rules, awsome toys,Great music and sound, and great artwork.
Theatre is way too easy and it gets very boring fast.
Fun house and lotr are good games but I think twilight zone is more fun.

#14 6 years ago

TZ I think would be the best choice. Classic and plenty to do. I like LOTR as well but for me the ball times are too long. I am not that great a player either...

#15 6 years ago

1. Twilight Zone
2. Funhouse
3. Lord of the Rings

4. Theatre of Magic

ToM isn't bad by any means, but it's very simple and doesn't hold up long term compared to the rest. I still think that after all these years that Twilight Zone is the best game ever designed. It's just a blast to play with a great mix of flow and stop and go. It has it all. Funhouse just slightly gets the edge over Lord of the Rings. LoTR is one of my favorite games ever, but it takes quite a commitment of time each time you play. When you have it in you, however, LoTR is a tough one to pass up.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

1. Twilight Zone
2. Funhouse
3. Lord of the Rings

4. Theatre of Magic
ToM isn't bad by any means, but it's very simple and doesn't hold up long term compared to the rest. I still think that after all these years that Twilight Zone is the best game ever designed. It's just a blast to play with a great mix of flow and stop and go. It has it all. Funhouse just slightly gets the edge over Lord of the Rings. LoTR is one of my favorite games ever, but it takes quite a commitment of time each time you play. When you have it in you, however, LoTR is a tough one to pass up.

Ya I don't want to sell my lotr. Even if I stop playing it for a while, I know I'll eventually come back and say 'today is the day I get to valinor!'

#17 6 years ago

TZ- one of the greatest games ever made (might be the perfect pinball machine)
LOTR- Fantastic game for 1 player. Great epic journey for home use (not good for leagues, tournaments or group play)
FH- fun game, shallow in some aspects but still a good game
TOM- Looks nice, but very very boring. Had it for 6 years only because I didn't need the footprint and I loved the way it looked.

I've owned all of these games. I know them well and listed them in the order of awesomeness. the first 3 are top 25's for me, TOM maybe in a collection of 100+

#18 6 years ago

I had the LOTR/TSPP combo and while it was nice I feel like you need something a little more frantic to go with TSPP which is a pretty deep game.

LOTR is just loooooong to get to anything fun. Great theme, great sound, good looking. Want to get to a cool mode? Got a while? Destroy the Ring is a cool sequence tho, and if you have the time There and Back Again always feels really nice to get to... I was never baller enough to get Valinor tho.

TZ kinda too. It's a favorite of mine and I love the theme but its like, get ready to play a buncha modes, then LITZ. Plus alot of cheap drains. Still, the POWER is pretty cool, and the Powerball is always a good time.

So for less deep games, TOM is neat, but somehow it never hooked me... it's kinda brown and red and the sound and calls are just not for me, but it's good fun and does some cool stuff with the pinball.

Personally tho, I'd do FH. Rudy is great and the game is just really about getting in there and making some points. It's always fun to close the funhouse down and mess around and get Rudy pissed at you, you big sausage!

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I own all 4
LOTR > TZ > ToM > FH
For descriptions why you can go back and read the last few hundred times comparisons have been made with these machines.

That is how I would rank them as well. I have owned 3 of these games (no TOM). I really like all four so you can't go wrong. Actually, TSPP is the one I would get rid of, and did.

#20 6 years ago

I'll throw in a vote for TZ or LOTR. I believe LOTR has more universal appeal overall, however, so if you're trying to please your guests and more casual players, go with that. I've heard people say they don't like TZ. I've never heard someone say they don't like LOTR. I love both.

#21 6 years ago

What can I say, TZ still the best game ever made.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

What can I say, TZ still the best game ever made.

Agreed. While it's not perfect, I still think it's the best. If there is a perfect game, however, it's probably Attack From Mars.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If there is a perfect game, however, it's probably Attack From Mars.

Hmmmm...hmmmm....I wouldn't argue that one too far.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If there is a perfect game, however, it's probably Attack From Mars.

You would be correct if it weren't for Whirlwind. It's the best game ever made.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Oh geez It's hard to argue that one too...next you're gonna throw in HS and then i give up.

#26 6 years ago

Whirlwind is amazing. So good for tournament play or casual play too.

#27 6 years ago

I owned LOTR and like it, but I sold it cause it got old to me. Its still a fun game though.

TZ is currently owned and I never get tired of it.

I'd go TZ, FH, LOTR

#28 6 years ago

+1 for TZ. Fond memory of getting my ass kicked on the first league game i ever played. He had the game of his life and i got to see all the modes unlocked and "entered the zone". Pretty awesome to see live even though i was on the wrong end of that game! Will have one in the Collection one day. +1 for WW too i'm picking one up this weekend but thats for another thread....

#29 6 years ago

Sell TSPP and get LOTR and TZ.

#30 6 years ago

TZ and LOTR are great! ToM gets boring pretty fast. Never played FH so don't know on that one but it seems popular

#31 6 years ago

I own all four games and think they are excellent in their own way. In no particular order.

TZ : Similar in gameplay to TSPP. Great toys. Not very beginner friendly.
LOTR: One of the best theme implementaions. Not as stop and go as TSPP. Okay for beginners and advanced players.
TOM: Playfield has excellent flow and is just fun to shoot. Very good for beginners. Shallow rules may not hold interest.
FH: Rudy is one of the best toys in pinball. May be creepy for young children. Stop and go game play. Not great for beginners but a great overall package.

So, depends what you're looking for in your two game collection.

If you want a game that non pinball enthusiasts will enjoy, I'd stay away from TZ and FH.

If you want a game that plays like TSPP go with TZ.

If you want a deep game that plays different to TSPP and might also appeal to non pinball enthusiasts, choose LOTR.

If you want a game that shoots very different than TSPP, plan to share it with beginners and don't mind a more shallow ruleset, TOM could be a good fit.

If you are drawn to any particular theme and/or art, that is also a factor.

#32 6 years ago

Wow.

/thread

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

And I know a LOTR next to a TSPP might be a mortal sin, but I am considering it.

I'd go shorter ball times in the other game. I won't give suggestions that are not on your list, but IM sure you could think of a good game for the spot

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'd go shorter ball times in the other game. I won't give suggestions that are not on your list, but IM sure you could think of a good game for the spot

Dude, I played an IM at my buddys house a while back and was pleasantly surprised how much fun I had with it. I was doing real well and I dig the ramps and war machine. Its not a theme I would consider but the gameplay rules.

It seems like TOM is getting slagged off by a lot of people. I get it though, its shallow and I see it could be repetitive. But, next to s TSPP which isn't really repetitive and far from shallow, it could work. Its been a fav of mine for a while now. FH has always been my #1 and would take one over all of these but I would want it in spectacular shape, possibly restored. As you guys know, its hard to find one of these at a decent price. Prices are going nuts now, its unbelievable. TZ and LOTR are ones I've always liked too, for all the reasons you've guys said. TZ is timeless, LOTR is loaded and well coded.

Quoted from tamoore:

This is also a fav for me. I played my buddy Darin's (bigd) WW when he had one and it kicked my ass. He also had a JM which I went into thinking it would really blow, but I had a blast on that thing and it shot up to my top 10. Both of these were fast and difficult and I dig that. But I think for my second one it should be friendly to non pinhead friends and these I don't feel would be. But I respect those damn games so much.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I own all four games and think they are excellent in their own way. In no particular order.
TZ : Similar in gameplay to TSPP. Great toys. Not very beginner friendly.
LOTR: One of the best theme implementaions. Not as stop and go as TSPP. Okay for beginners and advanced players.
TOM: Playfield has excellent flow and is just fun to shoot. Very good for beginners. Shallow rules may not hold interest.
FH: Rudy is one of the best toys in pinball. May be creepy for young children. Stop and go game play. Not great for beginners but a great overall package.
So, depends what you're looking for in your two game collection.
If you want a game that non pinball enthusiasts will enjoy, I'd stay away from TZ and FH.
If you want a game that plays like TSPP go with TZ.
If you want a deep game that plays different to TSPP and might also appeal to non pinball enthusiasts, choose LOTR.
If you want a game that shoots very different than TSPP, plan to share it with beginners and don't mind a more shallow ruleset, TOM could be a good fit.
If you are drawn to any particular theme and/or art, that is also a factor.

As far as theme goes, I'm def in the tom/fh ballpark. Maybe TOM more. But fh is my all time fav. Only reason I don't have one already is that it's so damn difficult to find one in the shape I want. I want a restored one and their going for cuh-razzy cash nowadays.

Granted TOMs are getting up their too. The cheapest machine out of the 4 would prolly be LOTR.

Would love either one of these machines, but they have to be clean and nice to go next to my tspp.

20161029_001858 (resized).jpg20161029_001858 (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago

Own Lord of the Rings . Play Twilight Zone a lot locally. Both are great. Lord of the Rings seems to be more enjoyable if you have full knowledge of the movie franchise. Twilight Zone is fun even if you only have passing knowledge of the show.

#37 6 years ago

I have owned a FH. I currently own a TZ and a LOTR. All 3 are fantastic games you really cant go wrong. My opinion is TZ is one of the best pins ever made by any manufacturer. LOTR is the best pin made by Stern. So, if you cant get both grab the TZ and LOTR later. That being said a FH in pristine condition isnt easy to find. If you come across that one, Id grab that and go for the others down the road.

Mike

#38 6 years ago

No love for ToM! ToM is a smooth flowing machine. So much fun to shoot, even with the shallow ruleset. You already have TSPP, which has a deep ruleset. TZ and LOTR, which both have deep rulesets also. ToM is a fun pin to just bang around on. TZ is a classic and you can't go wrong with it, but next to TSPP, might be similar playing. LOTR is also a fun pin, but again, you'll be playing 20 minute games. ToM has an easy ruleset, but probably has the most appeal to beginners and novices. It's so damn satisfying to hit those shots.

At the end of the day, I would get TZ, but I love TZ. Don't discount ToM because it's easier. It's the prettiest one out of all of them

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 39.50
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-vs-lotr-vs-fh-vs-tom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.