(145 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

as_it_Say_s.gif
F.U.gif
VSthread.gif
gollum.jpg
come-at-me-bro-im-gonna-run-around-in-.jpg
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

TZ or LOTR? Let the debate begin......

#2 12 years ago

I am not going to participate in this survey, but I will say one thing. The fact that they are being compared to each other must mean that they are somewhat similar and close to equal and thus both worthy of similar acclaim.

#3 12 years ago

You unlock this door with the key of imagination

#4 12 years ago

KwiKi ,, What are you do-n man .... TZ is No Contest to LOTR... TZ All day long !!!

These 2 are NOt even Closely related.. I'm Out .... I'm Not a fan of LOTR anyway . I'll vote tho

#5 12 years ago

Not even close. Why? Because LOTR is a fun game. Case closed.

#6 12 years ago

TZ, but LOTR need not hang its head as it was defeated by one of the all-time greats.

#7 12 years ago

Well hell, If it's Not the TZ Hater,,, Figured you would jump in.. Tell us MORE " AGAIN " how Much you Hate TZ and Detest Led's , Bla Bla ,,,, Dip-SH#t

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

KwiKi ,, What are you do-n man .... TZ is No Contest to LOTR... TZ All day long !!! I Love mine..

I understand, but I'm also asking the rest of Pinside as well. If one person like another game more than another, I get it.

#9 12 years ago

TZ is one of my favorite games of all time. Also, I'm NOT a huge fan of Stern titles. That being said, I still think LOTR is a killer game. These are two COMPLETELY different titles. IMO they can't be compared one being 'better' than the other. Your deathmatch ends in a draw.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Well hell, If it's Not the TZ Hater,,, Figured you would jump in.. Tell us MORE " AGAIN " how Much you Hate TZ and Detest Led's , Bla Bla ,,,, Dip-SH#t

Ummm... Wow...

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Alright, alright, we don't need this type of arguing here. Let's take it to RGP where it belongs

#12 12 years ago

Have to go with LOTR on this one. Both classics though.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

BLACK_ROSE said:

Ummm... Wow...

+100

#14 12 years ago

I own both and I must give it to TZ. I love the books and movies of LOTR as well as the TV show TZ, so it's purely based on the games and not the themes for me.

#15 12 years ago

Own both.

Love TZ, the play, layout, depth, sound, theme, great innovations, cabinet art, but i hate the use of almost exclusively primary and secondary colors on the playfield. Playfield artwork is the only weak aspect for me.

Really like LOTR. Whole lot going on. Deeper than TZ, and more difficult to attain wizard mode. Grainy artwork and overall cheaper feel.

Both are keepers for me, but I give the edge to TZ.

#16 12 years ago

Well, Kwiki, you have my #2 and 4 here so I can definitely say you are comparing 2 I love...but...I would say LOTR is deeper and prettier, TZ is more fun and entertaining.

Again, that is just my opinion. And we all know I am nothing but a dumb ape.

#17 12 years ago

Theme goes to TZ, gameplay to LOTR

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

BLACK_ROSE said:

Alright, alright, we don't need this type of arguing here. Let's take it to RGP where it belongs []

B.S ... This is a Death match.. RGP ,, Dam New's paper over there.. I've Owned LOTR 2-Time's
I Couldn't Get into it ,, I Sure tried Too .. But , TZ is a Blast For me.. Alot of Pinhead's have Alot of Respect for the 2 - Pin's listed on this Thread .. And LOTR & TZ Both command a High $$..

#19 12 years ago

Hey Rascal, are you a giant or is your wifey a wee bit short? RE the picture thread...

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

FOREIGN OBJECT!!

#21 12 years ago

I love LOTR and miss the hell out of my LE.

I just got a TZ days ago, so I'm in the honey moon stage, but man, what a great pin! Enjoying the hell out of it so far!

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

DCFAN said:

BLACK_ROSE said:
Alright, alright, we don't need this type of arguing here. Let's take it to RGP where it belongs []
B.S ... This is a Death match.. RGP ,, Dam New's paper over there.. I've Owned LOTR 2-Time's
I Couldn't Get into it ,, I Sure tried Too .. But , TZ is a Blast For me.. Alot of Pinhead's have Alot of Respect for the 2 - Pin's listed on this Thread .. And LOTR & TZ Both command a High $$..

The thing that I find funniest about RGP is how I am starting to see a lot of complaining about pricing being inflated. I know there is some of that here as well but it is much more predominant over there. I think many of these types of pinheads are the one's that own pre-1990's games and cannot sell them for much compared with DMD games. They are getting more and more bitter by the day. Many are also probably retired and their pensions are getting more and more depreciated by the day so that also would contribute to the sticker shock of new pins.

#23 12 years ago

I am going to go LOTR. Not a big wide body fan. I love the jackpot callouts and overall look and with the right lighting LOTR wins it for me.

#24 12 years ago

Your deathmatch ends in a draw.

Definition:
A match in which many of the normal rules do not apply, typically leading to a more violent contest.

One will fall.

come-at-me-bro-im-gonna-run-around-in-.jpgcome-at-me-bro-im-gonna-run-around-in-.jpg

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The thing that I find funniest about RGP is how I am starting to see a lot of complaining about pricing being inflated. I know there is some of that here as well but it is much more predominant over there. I think many of these types of pinheads are the one's that own pre-1990's games and cannot sell them for much compared with DMD games. They are getting more and more bitter by the day. Many are also probably retired and their pensions are getting more and more depreciated by the day so that also would contribute to the sticker shock of new pins.

I dont think it is that they own a lot of pre DMD games as much as the fact that a lot of posters on RGP have been around for a long time. Ive been collecting since right around the end of Bally/Williams & seen the prices go crazy over the past few years. Many on RGP have been around quite a bit longer.

As far as the poll goes. Neither of these titles really grabbed me but i'd buy a TZ long before another LOTR.

#26 12 years ago

I'm going to go with Bad Girls. That's all I gotta say on the matter.

#27 12 years ago

You might be interested to know TZ was the first pin I bought. It was about a year before I got into the industry, and no question the game I had the highest regard for because of the amount of stuff it offered to do and the masterful theme integration. Both aspects have been pretty influencing on me, as I hope is obvious. If you're going to deal with a license, you might as well integrate as best as you possibly can. And as for the amount of stuff, well, I've certainly been accused of putting "too much" in, whatever that means.

My vote is for LOTR though. (Still have the TZ.)

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Theme goes to TZ, gameplay to LOTR

My thoughts exactly.

#29 12 years ago

TZ is the real precious.

gollum.jpggollum.jpg

#30 12 years ago

Own both, and they are two of my most played games, but it has to be LOTR for me.

#31 12 years ago

LOTR.

A good game is an epic experience and so many different objectives, collect modes, go for TABA, 3 multiballs, complete multiballs, destroy the ring.........and beyond that lies Valinor and probably ton of stuff I have never seen.

TZ is great but not as much fun to me anyway.

#32 12 years ago

LOTR....love the theme and its a great game. TZ is just out of my league and my abilities don't to it justice.

#33 12 years ago

TZ truly is an incredible game but for me LOTR is even more incredible!

#34 12 years ago

If LOTR was a widebody and had 2 more flippers for across the playfield shots, I may go with it, but as it is, I like TZ better. It even has the 2 extra magnetic flippers. Every flipper is another chance for you to interact with the ball, therefore more fun in my book, and TZ has 6 places where you can interact with the ball. I also like the TZ theme and the fact that you can have an awesome game and get LITZ within 20-30 minutes and be done with an awesome game and move on.

I do like LOTR and it's on my wanted to buy list. I'd be more than willing to take a LOTR in on loan for 3-6 months to see if it changes my mind.

#35 12 years ago

My #2 and#3,neck and neck but its TZ in a real close 5 round Brawl,and fight of the night!

#36 12 years ago

I'd go with LOTR, but a big part of that is that I find TZ quite difficult, so you always have to be "on" to play it. If you're having a particulary bad session, you might at well not bother trying.

#37 12 years ago

TZ. As simple as that. As huge of a Tolkien buff that I am, could not wait to get LOTR. Had it and just tried to love it. And then tried some more......It had to go. Beautiful game, awesome PF and theme but the epic ball times and repetitive mutliballs just wore me out on it. To much of a chore to play. Funny thing is, I traded a TZ for it. Wow was that a mistake. Finally got a TZ back in the house so all is good.

#38 12 years ago

TZ, but both games are amazing - they're in the Top 5 for a reason

#39 12 years ago

Tie. Both games are great at what they do.

#40 12 years ago

The Pinside March Madness Tournament is coming, and this poll makes me very curious as to what the Final Four is going to look like. I have a feeling there will be some "upsets".

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from TheStranger:

I'm going to go with Bad Girls. That's all I gotta say on the matter.

I roll with bad girls also but don't see what that has to do with pinball.

#42 12 years ago

I went with lotr, though I don't own it, I play it at the bowling alley regularly. I do own a TZ, would I sell it for a lotr? No.........

But I like lotr just a smidge more. Hence earning my vote for now, could change a month from now.

#43 12 years ago

Nothing against kwiki at all as I think you are a great guy, but I tire of these generic comparisons people post. Two completely different types of machines, different eras, different styles, both highly successful, well liked games. Why compare at all... just enjoy. They are both monster machines that will never leave my collection if I have a choice.

#44 12 years ago

Tough choice! Both games are in my top 3. TZ plays a bit smoother, has an ingenious layout and better toys, but LOTR has deeper rules and the best multi-balls in pinball. Both games have fantastic theming, sound, light, and art packages. It's very close to a tie for me but I'd give LOTR a slight edge just because I'm a sucker for a great rule-set. TZ still has really good rules, especially for it's time but the modes are a bit more dis-jointed than LOTR and it's more points driven than goal oriented. and I get into goal driven rule-sets (like LOTR or TSPP) a lot more. With that being said, I think TZ is the more "classic" game of the two and is pretty much the pinnacle of pinball design (STTNG is a close 2nd).

I'm anxious to see what WOZ is like because it basically a combination of a game like TZ along with a modern rule-set (like TSPP or LOTR). I didn't pre-order but may consider buying a standard edition if the game is anywhere near as good as what I think it could be!

#45 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

You might be interested to know TZ was the first pin I bought. It was about a year before I got into the industry, and no question the game I had the highest regard for because of the amount of stuff it offered to do and the masterful theme integration. Both aspects have been pretty influencing on me, as I hope is obvious. If you're going to deal with a license, you might as well integrate as best as you possibly can. And as for the amount of stuff, well, I've certainly been accused of putting "too much" in, whatever that means.
My vote is for LOTR though. (Still have the TZ.)

I got the blu-ray LOTR trilogy for Christmas, and had a chance to watch it all for the second time recently. I will sure say one thing, you really nailed the story line with the pinball machine. The gameplay is like a journey through the story. Thanks! I am glad LOTR LE was my first machine purchase.

#46 12 years ago

I played TZ a handful of games...didn't get into it. This all ends up being personal opinion! But I would like lotr more.

#47 12 years ago

TZ all the way.. I think LOTR pin is almost as bad as the movie (IMHO).

#48 12 years ago

The question should really be how long have people been playing pinball, and which one do they like better. I can imagine a newer player hearing, reading about TZ forever and then finally playing one you have a much bigger chance of being let down. Factor in there probably are a lot less TZ laying around these days than LOTR and all that stuff factors in.

#49 12 years ago

I've played the TZ enough......I think TZ pin is almost as bad as the black and white TV show it is IMHO..

#50 12 years ago

Two of my faves, but I like TZ more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 39.50
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1,059.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-vs-lotr-deathmatch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.