Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pin_-_K
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“TZ or IJ?”

• Twilight Zone 95 votes
      58%
    • Indiana Jones 70 votes
      42%

(165 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D972A6EB-3A71-49E9-924D-E52B7048C24A.gif
    image-61 (resized).png
    E7AA6D76-4789-43AA-9ED8-9A35BCEEE1CF (resized).jpeg
    A42067AD-FE36-4A80-ABB9-5C47F679E152 (resized).jpeg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I have all the CGC remakes, what would be the next best addition to my collection? Twilight zone or Indiana Jones?

#2 1 year ago

Indie hands down. TZ is almost as overrated as TAF. No, TZ isn't a bad pin, quite the opposite, just overrated.

#3 1 year ago

Twilight Zone is Pat Lawlor’s Magnum Opus!

If I could own only one of the two, I’m going with Twilight Zone.

Like they say: Every collector should try and own a TZ at some point.

A42067AD-FE36-4A80-ABB9-5C47F679E152 (resized).jpegA42067AD-FE36-4A80-ABB9-5C47F679E152 (resized).jpeg
    #4 1 year ago

I'd argue Demo Man has better flow than either.

#5 1 year ago

TZ any day.

#6 1 year ago

I have played these only a handful of times each ,so I’ll just watch with interest as I’m getting one of these 2 eventually

#7 1 year ago

TZ easy, & I love me some IJ

Quoted from drsfmd:

So does Viper Night Drivin'...so yeah.

#8 1 year ago

Buy both !

Tough call but I would go with TZ...

#9 1 year ago

I've had my TZ since 1995 and I hope my kids keep it when I'm gone. That being said, I don't think they will ever get rid of my ST:TNG (IJ would be fun, but folks would lose interest around here)

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I’d fight you on that! TZ is really a perfect game.
    Wonka is probably Pat’s 2nd greatest game of all time, could be better but JJP flippers hit like wet cardboard.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

A pinhead after my own heart. The only thing holding demolition man back is many don’t like the theme.

#12 1 year ago

TZ is the best machine ever made.

Excellent layout, rules, art, sound, dots modes, best use of magnets. Then, added to all of that, you have the best Mini playfield and the power ball/ Gumball ball distribution feature. It's over the top in more ways than one.

Indy is a great game, but I've never enjoyed the path of adventure mech. The game has great ramps, modes and theme, but it's one dimensional when compared to tz. Plus tz doesn't have video modes at all!

#13 1 year ago

Road Show. Seriously though, I’ve owned IJ and TZ. Couldn’t get into TZ. Sold it a long time ago and never looked back. IJ will never leave my collection.

#14 1 year ago

Embryon

#15 1 year ago

STTNG has borg multiball, super spinner, warp factor 9 and a billion bonus for each four artifacts collected. Best of the super pins IMO.

#16 1 year ago

Would love one, sold Indy, TZ, STTNG and Popeye lol
    Restoring a Future Spa right now
    My eyes popped out when I saw how wide Future Spa looked in the flesh

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

Restoring a Future Spa right now
    My eyes popped out when I saw how wide Future Spa looked in the flesh

Yeah, those 70's wide bodies are HUGE. Future Spa migh be the best of em, they seemed to really have a good sense of how a wide body should shoot by then. And the far left outlane kickback is a great touch, all wide bodies should have that.

#18 1 year ago

I own both. TZ is great show implementation and shots are fun, but only flow is around the far right loop when magnets aren’t going ( I have third magnet version). IJ is great for same outer loop but has ramp and bridge shots flow. IJ takes the win here as it keeps you playing game after game.

#19 1 year ago

Richard are you hinting you finally got your CCr?!?

Lol, but like underlord I have both as well, and I really couldn’t choose one over the other. I enjoy TZ with the different shots from the upper flippers and the magnet flippers on the upper playfield. TZ is more of a control the ball and shoot, while I find IJ is quick and speedy with periods of control needed during different modes. Flow is a tick better in IJ (when I can get in the groove with right ramp and orbit) but doesn’t mean TZ doesn’t necessarily have that as well. Jackpot display/sounds in TZ is awesome, and with pinsound IJ comes alive, and like the video modes of IJ for a break in the action. TZ is has more innovation I think, and IJ has that one more game drive factor. You could never really get tired of either one, so my suggestion is to get which one becomes available to you first and grab it.

#20 1 year ago
    #21 1 year ago

Twilight Zone for me.

If you have a collection of pinballs, Indy might get the nod because it plays quite a bit different than other pinballs. It's actually a quite short playfield right in front of the flippers, compensated for by having lots of long ramp shots... it's just a different kind of play compared to games that have open space all the way up the playfield as most pinballs do.

The music and call outs are equally good, but Indy has this pulsing 'adventure' kind of vibe, where Twilight is more of a 'journey'.

In Twilight Zone you have this feeling that everything was really well thought out. You are in the Twilight Zone where things are not as they appear, so you have a gumball machine that isn't a gumball machine, you have flippers that aren't flippers (on the mini playfield), you even have a pinball that isn't a pinball because it's ceramic.

Couple that with what is arguably the best use of widebody space (I'll give a nod to Demolition Man here, because it does have amazing shot layouts that are perfectly implemented in software... the combo shots in Demo Man are one of the best things in pinball!), and you've got this really well balanced, well thought out pinball... Twilight Zone for the win!

Indy, on the other hand has this clunky 'path of adventure' on the left side, and I just can't get over how much playfield real estate was devoted to a non-fun toy. It just feels like they could have done better. Play Indy for a while and you'll very likely get switch errors popping up, and this feels like bad design... unless every switch on the Path of Adventure toy is activated within a certain number of games it reports it as a problem. This kind of stuff feels like amateur hour in pinball design.

You can't go wrong with either.

Twilight Zone will be the more collectable pinball through the years, but only slightly ahead of Indy, so as an investment either will be great.

#22 1 year ago

Have both keeping both.

It took me longer to get into IJ.

#23 1 year ago

TZ is possibly the greatest pinball machine of all time.

#24 1 year ago

I just really like the uniqueness of TZ. Magnetic flippers on the powerfield makes for a more fun and interactive experience than path of adventure.

Shot layout is really unique, good combos, and good stacking strategies, especially with the powerball (like doubling the jackpot if the shot is made with the powerball, and sweeping through all the spiral magnets).

Home rom code is nice with the ability to literally pause the game, and it’s just oozing with personality—especially with all the homages to prior games like Whirlwind and Funhouse.

#25 1 year ago

TZ.

Have both, IJ will leave before xmas.

#26 1 year ago

I have and love Indy and always will. I like the TZ pin, but never saw a Twilight Zone episode in my life. Before my time. Indy is an iconic theme and I love the amount of stuff to do.

#27 1 year ago

TZ all day. I don't get the IJ hype. Path of adventure and idol thing take up a lot of real estate and not that fun. Gameplay is fun but cannot think of much that is unique like TZ. Four flippers, upper pf with magnet flippers, powerball, interactive magnets, working clock, etc. It captured my interest in pinball back in the day.

#28 1 year ago

Obviously, there is no right answer. I have owned both for a long time and even though I have a lot of newer games I still spend just as much time on both of them.

TZ is an easier game in terms of getting to the wizard mode. Same for STTNG which is another great wide body. With current prices it’s probably the best bang for the buck.

A comparable condition IJ will probably cost you a few K more than the TZ. Either would be a great addition and a long-term keeper and a good investment. You truly cannot go wrong with either choice.

E7AA6D76-4789-43AA-9ED8-9A35BCEEE1CF (resized).jpegE7AA6D76-4789-43AA-9ED8-9A35BCEEE1CF (resized).jpeg
    #29 1 year ago

Thanks to all the extra stuff, TZ's main playfield area is narrower than even a standard body, and not exactly great to shoot. Toys don't make up for the lack of a satisfying main playfield for me, and apparently for casual players either, as it bombed on location. Give me Indy; feels like a pinball machine.

#30 1 year ago

For me, IJ & Judge Dredd are the best of the Superpins. JD is easy to snag for a good price because it's often overlooked. The shots & flow are far better than TZ & STTNG in my opinion. I'm lucky enough to have put many plays on all the Superpins, including Popeye & TZ just doesn't do much for me. Give JD a try if you can & if you see one pop up for a reasonable price, you might want to grab it.

#31 1 year ago

Both are all time greats. If you're an 80's kid, Indy with PinSound mix probably triggers the most nostalgia. Older folks might get more into the Twlight Zone nostalgia.

If you like stop-and-go and side-flippers than TZ is the obvious choice. If you're more into flow and smooth shots, Indy.

#32 1 year ago

TZ.
    IJ repetitive linear strategy with multiballs. TZ much much more depth.
    But IJ is beautiful, a killer theme, and great for casual visitors to the pinball room!

#33 1 year ago

TZ is an all time classic. It is worthy of its lofty status.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

TZ all day. I don't get the IJ hype. Path of adventure and idol thing take up a lot of real estate and not that fun. Gameplay is fun but cannot think of much that is unique like TZ. Four flippers, upper pf with magnet flippers, powerball, interactive magnets, working clock, etc. It captured my interest in pinball back in the day.

What he said, but exactly the opposite.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Thanks to all the extra stuff, TZ's main playfield area is narrower than even a standard body, and not exactly great to shoot. Toys don't make up for the lack of a satisfying main playfield for me, and apparently for casual players either, as it bombed on location.

That may be the key - TZ isnt really for casual players - it's a shooter. So depending how you look at it, it IS great to shoot -

Also why it didn't do well on location.

But I like shooters and sci-fi so TZ for the win!!

#36 1 year ago

I love shooters! But like, where are the shots? Two ramps straight up the middle? zzz

#37 1 year ago

For context, I ended up buying the tz that I grew up playing. The guy was the original owner and ran arcades in my area. He told me it was one of his best earning machines and it paid for itself well over 10x over the years. Indy probably earned even better due to theme. I dumped more money into Addams than any other machine. Tz would be second. Indy, while still a great game, wasn't even in the race, to be honest. I just hated the path of adventure sooo much. What a waste of space.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I love shooters! But like, where are the shots? Two ramps straight up the middle? zzz

Well, unless you count the slot machine....or the piano...or the camera....or the gumball machine....or the hitchhiker....or the pops............or the........

image-61 (resized).pngimage-61 (resized).png
    #39 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

You need to set spiral to hard and collect them all. Pretty good scoring and extra ball. My buddies and I have a gentleman's agreement: right inlane must shoot dead end. Super fun.

When you get good at the harder shots, including the left spiral, the game opens up.

Oh, and you have to set tz up as difficult as possible. It should be steep, clean and everything set to hard. One flaw I do see is that robots for xb can't be set beyond 12. I'd love to set that to 20.

Where are the interesting shots in Indy? The lock shot?

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Well, unless you count the slot machine....or the piano...or the camera....or the gumball machine....or the hitchhiker....or the pops............or the........

Yeah, I fell asleep too.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Where are the interesting shots in Indy?

I'll take good over interesting. Ramps on the sweet spot of the flippers, for starters.

#44 1 year ago

TZ, but IJ is pretty as hell. Depends on what is motivating you. They are both great pins, but TZ's innovation is just off the charts. A lot of firsts on that pin that were never done since. The use of magnets alone makes it beyond unique. I don't think you will ever see a pin made like it again. Just too much money to get all of that going. Just my 2 cents....

#45 1 year ago

TZ for me

#46 1 year ago

Since you have the remakes, out of the two I would think IJ would be the better fit. It’s a bit easier to understand for casual players. The theme integration is killer and it’s a super fun pin to play. I might be biased, but I think IJ is the best pin made of that era. I’ve owned a handful of TZs and I’ve owned over 10 IJs. Every time I sold an IJ I had remorse and ended up paying more to get back an IJ that was in worse shape than the one I had previously sold.

I love hitting the captive ball and trying to make the super jackpots, the call outs and sounds in IJ are amazing and the best of that era.

IJ is such a good pin, I’m having HEP do one up for me, I don’t ever plan on selling it.

#47 1 year ago

Owned both, love both but slight edge to IJ for me.

#48 1 year ago

Indy,
    Had TZ a couple of years ago, sold it.
    Nothing beats the theme integration of Indy, awesome game!

#49 1 year ago

I love TZ so much we have two of them. But then again, I love IJPA so much we have two of them.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I don't think you will ever see a pin made like it again.

WOZ was in the ballpark. Maybe not as many innovations, as it had pretty much all been done at that point, but widebody, upper playfield(s), lots of flippers, standup targets all over the place, two shots straight up the middle straddling a standup target, scoops galore, stop & go play, dated theme. Jack pretty much nailed it.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-vs-ij-who-is-the-wide-body-king?hl=bud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.