Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
IMG_4633.JPG
IMG_4632.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hey All,

First, thanks to everyone who has helped with tech items in the past.

I happen to have an odd issue with a Twilight Zone involving the sound and DMD display. Everything appears to boot up and work properly but the DMD has vertical lines across it, spaced evenly, and the sound plays incorrectly. For the sound, on boot the game produces one sound bong which I believe indicates everything tests OK. It boots properly with no errors and then plays the jackpot sound effect. In the test menu incorrect sounds are played while navigating menus/exiting. The DMD has lines throughout and some of the screens are garbled/incorrect. The game was working properly up until I knocked off the +12v supply wire on the connector of the left flipper opto board while changing the start button bulb which I have corrected. My initial thought was to re-seat the ribbon cables and to gently press on the roms/chips on the CPU in case of loose connections but this did not correct the issue. Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

IMG_4632.JPGIMG_4632.JPGIMG_4633.JPGIMG_4633.JPG

#2 9 years ago

Not a tech . But I own a TZ. That is very strange . Have you tried disconnecting the DMD .Boot up and listen for the jackpot sound ?

#3 9 years ago

What you said, ribbons should be the problem.

#4 9 years ago

^^ agreed, ribbons seem to be the culprit here.

#5 9 years ago

+1, check all ribbon connections on your boards.

#6 9 years ago

Yeah this is exactly what I thought so I reseated all the ribbons but nothing helped is it possible one of the ribbons is actually bad I happen to have a world cup soccer here that I could check and see if the cables are the same to try those.

#7 9 years ago

I did try to disconnect the ribbon cable for the DMD and boot the game and heard the same jackpot sound so I am assuming the DMD itself isn't at fault.

#8 9 years ago

If it's affecting both audio and DMD then it's the larger of the two cables.

You have an address line that is stuck high, low, or other.

If you're sure the cable is all plugged in correctly, then the problem is either with the cable itself, OR, on one of the boards.

Try these to start to determine where the problem is..
(1) Disconnect the cable from the audio board. If the DMD still has it's lines, the issue is NOT on the audio board.
(2) Disconnect the larger of the two cables on the DMD board. If the audio is still incorrect, the issue is NOT on the DMD board.
(3) Get a replacement cable (or borrow a cable form another game). If the issue remains, then it is on your MPU board.

Cheers -
Mike

#9 9 years ago

I had the exact same lines on my Popeye. They weren't always there, only sometimes at first. Eventually they appeared all the time. Yes, sound was jacked too. I replaced ALL my ribbon cables with new ones (set) from Great Plains Electronics and it totally fixed it. That was over 2 years ago

#10 9 years ago

You guys were right. I followed mikes steps exactly and when trying the 4 connector ribbon cable from the World Cup soccer everything was corrected. Now to find somewhere to buy the cable.

Thanks everyone I owe you all.image.jpgimage.jpg

#12 9 years ago

Glad you got it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-twilight-zone-odd-sound-display and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.