(Topic ID: 56923)

TZ trough proximity sensor always registers closed/on..?

By lukerp

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by lukerp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey all,

I have a bit of a weird problem I'm hoping someone can help out with. The trough proximity sensor on my TZ is registering as closed/on all the time. Here's what I've tried.

1) Adjusting the sensor board - this didn't have any effect; I've had the board go out of adjustment before, so I looked into this first.
2) Testing the switches on either side of the trough proximity sensor - the trough sensor is number 26; I tested switches 16, 36, 25, and 27. They all tested out fine. This rules out a switch matrix issue.
3) I unplugged the eddy sensor board from the circuit board with the LED on it. The board's LED stayed lit, indicating to me that the problem is on this board, and not with sensor itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; I'm not 100 percent sure how to go about troubleshooting this beast beyond what I've already done. Thanks, all.

Luke

#2 10 years ago

I'd remove the board away from the metal ball trough and then see if it tests okay. Maybe the metal trough is effecting it ?

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Hey Lloyd,

I tried one more thing. If I isolate the board with the LED on it by unplugging the sensor feeding into it (i.e. it's just the board being fed by the four pin connector), the LED stays lit So, it's reading closed regardless of the sensor itself. If I unplug that board, the switch reads open. So, I'm thinking it's on that board, or at least part of the problem is on that board. I figured I could test all the components on the board and see if any of them have failed, although I'm unsure of how to test the chips themselves. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

Luke

#4 10 years ago

No idea on what to test on it, or if replacements are available.

I'd probably look into a new one.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

Hey,

Thanks; I'll order one up. Much obliged.

Luke

#6 10 years ago

I had some of those same problems, then ordered new ones from Great Lakes Modular and have never had a problem again.

#7 10 years ago

Hey,

Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but where did you find those on Great Lakes Modular's website? Thanks!

Luke

#8 10 years ago

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

Click on "products"

Scroll down to "Parts for Williams WPC Games"

1st item should be:"WMS Widebody Trough Opto Board Set" $60.00

or you can buy individually:

DCS-TR Receiver opto board $35.00

DCS-TT Transmitter opto board $25.00

There are visible LEDs so you can see if each opto is reading open or closed without testing anything. If the boards visible LEDs are displaying the correct green or red corisponding to if there is a ball in that position or not and yet you still have a problem then at least you can visually see that it is not the board at fault.

Same thing happened to me with flippers as well. But once I upgraded to the ones with visual LEDs to show me open or closed I was unaware that the problem was not with the flipper optos at all, but was up in the fliptronics board. Hope the new trough boards fix your problem I have a feeling they will.

#9 10 years ago

Think the OP has an faulty eddy proximity sensor.

And the boards on the trough are somethig different.

When connected turning the popmeter in that sensor.... can you adjust it so the LED will go out?

#10 10 years ago

Hey,

It seems that regardless of what I do to the actual sensor, the LEd stays lit.

Luke

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 1,059.00
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 12.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-trough-proximity-sensor-always-registers-closedon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.