• Latest reply 8 months ago by colocole
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZ mini sw (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
GLM TZ Mini Switch Kit.pdf (PDF preview)
9AE8D333-BB3D-4293-9207-0769F07A8C56 (resized).jpeg
7CBA0BF1-A635-4811-AF3F-D3A8B4AA2D43 (resized).jpeg
9D67F06A-3A33-4C5A-B7E8-292FBE0D85AC (resized).jpeg
3A23C2CF-5FCD-4021-B62A-3EE5888A8BF1 (resized).jpeg
2E6B491C-7DE4-4B61-B04F-BAD2D74A9836 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_0174_(resized).jpg
IMG_0173_(resized).jpg
IMG_0171_(resized).jpg
IMG_0164_(resized).jpg
IMG_0161_(resized).JPG
IMG_0154_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Greetings everyone! I've been away for a while due to some stupid work-related stuff but I'm back now. (Been back for a couple weeks, actually.)

Kind of a long read, get a drink before you start!

Before my Pinside hiatus, I had just installed GLM's TZ mini-playfield switch kit and was VERY happy with how everything turned out, so much so that I wanted to do a general overview about how it all went and a light version of what to do for those that might be on the fence about it. Give this a read-through, maybe even a couple of times, then dive right in. If you're even halfway decent at soldering, you can do this install. GLM's included instructions are great and should be followed closely as well. When you reach the point of having removed the mini playfield out and take off the cardboard guard underneath, really look at and study all the wiring; where it goes, where it comes from, what colors are attached to what, etc. It's really important to familiarize yourself as much as possible with what you'll be doing and what you want to end up with BEFORE you start. It's always good to have a plan.

One thing you want to be sure of before you start to unbolt things is to disconnect the wiring harness underneath and label the two identical connectors with something easily identifiable. When they're still connected, you can either write on them with a Sharpie(1 and 2, or X and O, or whatever) or put some kind of colored tape on both connectors of one set to ensure they get back together correctly. I know the wires are colored differently and you can match them up that way, but this is just another step I've heard WAY too many TZ owners recommend doing, so I even did it myself. Made it a no brainer upon reassembly.

I know some people have said that this install can be done without removing the mini playfield, but I didn't want to risk anything; from solder splashes to wires not being long enough, to not having enough room to work in, or anything unforeseen. Plus, I wanted to be able to groom and shield the wiring and make it look a lot nicer than B/W ever cared to do at the factory when they were practically throwing these things out the factory doors. Needless to say, I took out the mini playfield on mine. It's pretty easy to do, there's just the two main nuts out front on top of those brackets and the one screw to the wireform ramp in the back. In order not to damage that area where the wireform comes in, make sure to loosen the screw that holds the wireform down to the post on the left side of the left ramp. That'll loosen up that wireform so that once you get the posts out from the brackets out front, you can manipulate the playfield out slowly but surely and it'll be clear of everything pretty quickly. Force is not your friend on this one. You can really bugger up that area where the wireform meets the mini playfield if you try to force things. Take your time, take it easy.

When you have everything unbolted/disconnected, you'll want to put a towel or blanket or something out over the playfield, especially above the pop bumpers so in case you need to, you can set the mini playfield down to work on getting the wiring through that hole in the main playfield. It's easiest to pull them through that hole one plug at a time.

Once it's out and free from the game, you can unbolt all of the switches you'll be replacing and really get a good look at what you're up against. Keep all the hardware organized so you know where it goes for reassembly. You may even want to lay out your new parts to make sure you've got everything and you know where it's all supposed to go. Make sure you've got a good pen-style soldering iron and be sure to tin the pads of where the switch wiring is going to go. There's not a whole lot of room in there when you go to solder the wires onto the new switches, so be careful. If you're unsure of your manual dexterity, it may even be prudent to use one of those third hand-type tools with the clips and magnifying glass to make it easier to get right the first time. Take note of the pads and look closely to which side the wires are going to go. They're also labeled on the board as to where the white and the green wires are supposed to go. GLM's instructions are really good for this, too.

When I cut the wires from the old switches, I trimmed them back a bit so I could get nice, fresh copper so I could further put nice, new solder on them, ensuring that all the solder joints were new everywhere. I did not trim the wires to length for the new switches. I wanted to leave as much of the original wiring intact for the benefit of any future choices I might make or any future owner's decisions/tastes/likes/dislikes. As much as I love to customize and make things nice and tidy, I don't like it when things are difficult or impossible to put back to original. I try not to customize myself into a corner, as it were.

As a part of the "wiring clean up" upon assembly, I chose to sheathe everything with heat shrink tubing. I did not apply heat to it to shrink it down, I merely used it as a protective conduit and as a way to make things look a lot better. I also tidied up the wiring to the spiral light and upper mini playfield optos. Maybe it was just my machine, but that one side of the light that has the resistor attached to it was making intermittent contact with the head of the screw just below it. I rerouted some of that wiring to get it out of harm's way(potential flying balls) and to ensure that nothing can cause any kind of grounding or shorting out. This was my main goal in sheathing everything, protection, then looks….form following function.

I also chose to make my custom "rivet-bolts" for reattaching the sign plastics out front. I take some short 4-40 button head machine screws, scuff up the tops of them and solder fill the tops of them until they're nice and smooth. Then, I polish them up a bit. This makes them look like rivets to the naked eye, but also makes them easily adjustable/removable/changeable. That is a very difficult spot to get into with a rivet press(which I don't have) or even a rivet gun(for those that don't mind using regular pop rivets). So, for me, this was an easy work-around that had added benefits down the road. There are companies that make threaded rivets, for those that'd like to just purchase them.

Here are some pictures of the finished product:
IMG_0161_(resized).JPGIMG_0161_(resized).JPG
IMG_0154_(resized).JPGIMG_0154_(resized).JPG
IMG_0164_(resized).jpgIMG_0164_(resized).jpg
IMG_0171_(resized).jpgIMG_0171_(resized).jpg
IMG_0173_(resized).jpgIMG_0173_(resized).jpg
IMG_0174_(resized).jpgIMG_0174_(resized).jpg

I could not be happier with the results. The switches are super responsive, easy to readjust for stretching rubbers in the future, and make that whole area look SO MUCH BETTER! Honestly, I did not think I'd like it as much as I do. I just knew that area was something that needed a ton of cleaning, adjusting, and part replacing on my machine anyway, so I decided to spend the relatively small amount of money and upgrade to their mini switch kit.

Let me stop you before you post critiquing my methods/abilities/style choices/favorite burrito coverings…..I am in no way any kind of pinball machine maintenance/mod/upgrade expert. What I've written should only be used as a guide and NOT as the ONLY way to do it. This was my own personal experience, what I learned from it, and how I did it. Your experience WILL be different. Your "mileage may vary". The intent of this writeup was just to share and enlighten those who might be struggling with whether or not they can do this install, and whether or not they should. That is all.

Thanks for the read!
-Mike

#2 8 years ago

Excellent, thanks Miguel!

#3 8 years ago

Thank you very much for posting this. I received the GLM switch kit about a month ago & am a little nervous tackling this. I'll do it step by step while reading your post.

#4 8 years ago

Remember people if you want to double jazz it up, you can get the side cliffy for it also

http://www.passionforpinball.com/tz.htm

#5 8 years ago

Nice write up

#6 8 years ago

Get the door flasher board too if you're a fan of blinding bright LEDs. Both mods are awesome.

#7 8 years ago

Nice. I am not much of a mod guy, but want to do this purely for the added visibility. Nice work.

#8 8 years ago

Looks great. How much does it cost to get all 4 replaced?

#9 8 years ago

It is $85 plus s/h for the set.

www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/tzmpskit2.html

I noticed the quality right away. Great work.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Remember people if you want to double jazz it up, you can get the side cliffy for it also

I debated getting that last time I saw him at PAGG. I figured I'd wait until I decide to get both new playfields before I get the rest of the cliffy's for it. I've only got the essential ones on there now.

Quoted from scampcamp:

I'll do it step by step while reading your post.

Also be sure to follow GLM's included instructions. That's all I used and it worked for me!

Quoted from Squeakman:

Nice. I am not much of a mod guy, but want to do this purely for the added visibility. Nice work.

Thanks. I'm not that much into mods as well, as you can see. I've got Ingo's clock board with the color changing LEDs, my custom rule cards, and the "gumballs" in the gumball machine(which are plastic chinese checkers pieces that were $4), but that's about it!

A further note on the underside of the mini playfield:
I did do some moving of the wiring retainers to accommodate how I wanted to reroute and tidy up the wiring under there. I also added a few zip-ties as well. Your machine's wiring will almost certainly be different than mine was when I started. I don't think B/W's production line was so regimented that they all came out exactly the same. Heck, they couldn't even get the pop bumper cap color order right!

5 months later
#11 7 years ago

Ive actually reached out to GLM last week to buy it, but haven't heard back... Hope he's ok??

#12 7 years ago

Sometimes they don't get their emails from their website. They are members here on Pinside and it has worked for others in the past to just PM them here.

If that doesn't work, there are some vendors that sell their kit. You might ask Pinsider borygard to see if he has any left.

Good luck!

#13 7 years ago

Mike, I'm still screwing up the courage to tackle this swap. I'm sure this sounds harder than it really is, sooner or later I'm just gonna have to dive in...

#14 7 years ago

Tried this week to buy this also but no response from GLM.

#15 7 years ago

I've had a little trouble a few times ordering direct from GLM so I just got GLM stuff from K'sArcade

https://ksarcade.net/tz-mps-kit-v2-twilight-zone-mini-playfield-switch-kit.html

#16 7 years ago

Ok, heard from them, they are back ordered a couple of weeks. Intimidating project but I'll give it a shot. Started this weekend by making a plexiglass bottom, finally got rid of that ratty cardboard

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#17 7 years ago

You should sell that plexiglass replacement. I'd buy one.

#18 7 years ago

Hmmm, how much? Budget for brighter flashers underneath. I'm getting this for the eye flasher:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm sure this sounds harder than it really is, sooner or later I'm just gonna have to dive in...

Pretty much! The main thing to remember, once the mini playfield is out, is to study everything; what goes where, what color wires are daisy chained, what wires are routed where, how the pieces connect to the playfield, etc. Take pictures if you need to. If you study the crap out of the mini playfield, you'll have no surprises when you finally jump into it. Heck, even looking at the picture of the bottom of Animal's mini playfield versus mine, you should get a pretty good idea of a before and after without even having to touch yours!

I may have forgotten to mention it in the write-up, but doing this install is also an EXCELLENT opportunity to clean and polish that mini playfield more extensively than before. Take advantage of that chance and do it well.

4 years later
5 months later
#21 2 years ago

Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions for the tz-mps-kit? I bought it years ago and forgot about it and would like to actually install it but I'm an idiot and can't find the instructions!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyHK:

Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions for the tz-mps-kit? I bought it years ago and forgot about it and would like to actually install it but I'm an idiot and can't find the instructions!

If you decide not to install I’d love to buy your kit.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from cconway84:

If you decide not to install I’d love to buy your kit.

Thanks for the offer, but my fallback is to use the guidance in the original post in the thread.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyHK:

Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions for the tz-mps-kit?

I think I do I’ll check after work.

#25 2 years ago
3A23C2CF-5FCD-4021-B62A-3EE5888A8BF1 (resized).jpeg3A23C2CF-5FCD-4021-B62A-3EE5888A8BF1 (resized).jpeg2E6B491C-7DE4-4B61-B04F-BAD2D74A9836 (resized).jpeg2E6B491C-7DE4-4B61-B04F-BAD2D74A9836 (resized).jpeg9D67F06A-3A33-4C5A-B7E8-292FBE0D85AC (resized).jpeg9D67F06A-3A33-4C5A-B7E8-292FBE0D85AC (resized).jpeg
#26 2 years ago

When I installed my kit the o ring rubbers were tight on the two upper switches so I put a clear zip tie on each of the bottom posts on right and left to move the rubber away from the switch allowing it to work.

7CBA0BF1-A635-4811-AF3F-D3A8B4AA2D43 (resized).jpeg7CBA0BF1-A635-4811-AF3F-D3A8B4AA2D43 (resized).jpeg9AE8D333-BB3D-4293-9207-0769F07A8C56 (resized).jpeg9AE8D333-BB3D-4293-9207-0769F07A8C56 (resized).jpeg
#27 2 years ago

That's it! Thank you so much RVH ! I really appreciate you taking the time to upload those photos and share your tips.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

When I installed my kit the o ring rubbers were tight on the two upper switches so I put a clear zip tie on each of the bottom posts on right and left to move the rubber away from the switch allowing it to work.

Couldn't you slide the switch assembly back a bit to adjust the switch clearance instead? In the bottom photo it looks like you've got room in that top slot.

#29 2 years ago

One of the metal actuators (levers) on one of the microswitches broke. Any ideas on what I can do to fix/replace/rig something? It seems that GLM doesn't even exist anymore.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

One of the metal actuators (levers) on one of the microswitches broke. Any ideas on what I can do to fix/replace/rig something? It seems that GLM doesn't even exist anymore.

Try these. I have the German version of this kit, with 2 micro switches on each pcb. This is what is used on mine. Good luck!
Cylewet 25Pcs AC 1A 125V 3Pin SPDT Limit Micro Switch Long Hinge Lever for Arduino (Pack of 25) CYT1073 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TYWX86/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XYJBKRKC50ZFZWN7BKWA

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyHK:

JohnnyHK,

I'm not a Pinside+ member so I couldn't attach it to the PM you sent me, but here are the instructions in PDF form, for you and for those that come afterwards.

GLM TZ Mini Switch Kit.pdfGLM TZ Mini Switch Kit.pdf
#32 2 years ago
Quoted from qbass187:

Try these. I have the German version of this kit, with 2 micro switches on each pcb. This is what is used on mine. Good luck!
Cylewet 25Pcs AC 1A 125V 3Pin SPDT Limit Micro Switch Long Hinge Lever for Arduino (Pack of 25) CYT1073 amazon.com link »

Thanks!!! These look like they might be a good match. Need to remove the MPF and do a closer inspection.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

JohnnyHK,
I'm not a Pinside+ member so I couldn't attach it to the PM you sent me, but here are the instructions in PDF form, for you and for those that come afterwards.

Fantastic! Thanks, Miguel.

1 year later
#34 1 year ago

Also bought the kit, but being a zero at electronics I have nog clue where to solder which wire on the new switches. Anyone can provide me with a manual, video or whatever could be helpful?

I know for the right side the wiring is green/yellow and blue/white. But where do I solder them to the new switch?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#35 1 year ago

TZ mini sw (resized).pngTZ mini sw (resized).png

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from qbass187:

Cylewet 25Pcs AC 1A 125V 3Pin SPDT Limit Micro Switch Long Hinge Lever for Arduino (Pack of 25) CYT1073 amazon.com link »

LOL are you kidding me I can get like 25 replacement switches for 7 bucks? LOL thanks so much!!!

And these will work, Do I have to like rivet them in or get some small screws?

Thanks again!!!

5 months later
#38 8 months ago
Quoted from zaza:

[quoted image]

Has anyone used these auxiliary switches for mods? Thought I saw someone had added post lights that flash when the switches are hit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.50
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-tech-glm-mini-switch-kit-installwrite-upimpressions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.