Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 6.15.23 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 6.15.31 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 7.28.59 PM (resized).png
tz (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 7.00.53 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I am working through the last of my issues after fully restoring my TZ. Playfield swap and all. I have one issue that is really got me stuck. If a ball is hit softly to the tunnel above the pop bumpers but below the camera shot, it gets stuck up there. The only way I can unstick it is by raising the playfield. It gets stuck pretty darn far up that path. Then the weight of the ball releases it. At first I thought something on the mini playfield was sticking down there. Like a wire or something. I pulled the mini and made sure everything was good. Problem didn't go away. Then I thought it may be the switch it rolls over was bad. I then shimmied the switch and lowered it. Still no-go. Then I took the switch completely out. No-go.

I really don't know what is causing this. When I had the playfield off I didn't see any obstructions.

Thoughts, ideas? I am about to defenestrate this machine! If you don't know what that word means, look it up. Great word to have in your vocabulary!

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this one!

Dave
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 7.00.53 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-21 at 7.00.53 PM (resized).png

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Can you use your flashlight and camera on your phone to shine in there and record while gently throwing the ball to see where it’s getting stuck? I don’t have any big ideas other than taking the mini pf off, comparing all details to the manual drawings and putting things back one at a time while testing for the problem.

I did try the flashlight/camera idea. The problem is that tunnel curves hard left and goes towards the gumball machine. That is the area it is getting hung up. Pretty far up there for sure.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

This. Next time ball get stuck shine a flashlight or mobile flash and take a picture up there and you should be able to see what the ball gets stuck on.

I did try the flashlight/camera idea. The problem is that tunnel curves hard left and goes towards the gumball machine. That is the area it is getting hung up.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A couple thoughts. Red arrow points to area bashed by ball that should be flat. Green arrow point to spring thing that should be straight up and down.
Either of these could be part of your problem.
LTG : )
[quoted image]

I know it isn't the bashed part. The clearance there is fine. That bashed part is just cardboard from airballs. I should have fixed it though the last time I pulled the mini playfield. BUT, your comment on the spring is interesting. I wonder if that is cranked too far down and creating a more angled mini than it should be? That slight amount may be enough to contribute to the mini playfield being lower than normal. I will check that out.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from pincoin:

I had this problem 20 years ago with mine, it was a playfield plastic under there that was sagging down. I just clipped a little off the plastic, check that out

Looks like I will be pulling the mini again. I think I will do what you are suggesting in that you can't even see that plastic under there anyway.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

That cardboard can be sagging down as it’s old or not all the screws are holding it up flat.

I think I am going to 3d Print a new panel with PETG. I will get em done and offer the STL up to the group when I am done making it.

#13 2 years ago

Well, I figured it out. As it turns out, the canal that the ball had to go through was too small. All I can think is the pre-drilled holes for the metal guard rails were off just enough to make the ball get stuck. After moving some of the guards around, the problem is solved. I do appreciate all of the theories and the next time I take the mini off I think I will make the 3D printed version of that piece of cardboard. When I do that, I will share the file with people.

I have a couple more issues to work out, but this by far was the most serious one in that it just stopped game play cold.

Thanks again!

Dave

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 7.28.59 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-22 at 7.28.59 PM (resized).png
1 week later
#16 2 years ago

Update. Thought I fixed the problem by putting pressure on the metal dividers and that worked for a while. Then the ball got stuck AGAIN!

This time I did some more serious work. I took out the middle screw of that metal divider and drilled a different hole (see pix). This really opened up that gap and now all is good. For anyone that buys an aftermarket playfield, lesson learned is that the pre drilled holes are not all perfect.

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 6.15.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 6.15.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 6.15.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 6.15.31 PM (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 132.00
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-stuck-ball-situation-and-i-am-stuck-?tu=iamabearsfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.