• Latest reply 8 years ago by bstyles
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZ-Spiral-Wireform-Mod.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Recently I picked up one of the spiral wireforms mods for Twilight Zone. I heard a couple hundred of these mods were originally made, and they seem to sought after on the used market. Recent eBay sales have realized $320 on up. I don't know who originally made them, and any leads I chased did not product any results (no returned emails).

To the point... I finally got around to installing it and promptly ran into an issue.

As the end of the wireform it had place to install a rubber bumper pad, though no pad was present. I have not seen these mods ever offered with a pad, so I assumed that the installation would require you to remove the round blue rubber pad from the stock TZ wireform and refit it to the spiral wireform mod, which I did.

Unfortunately I quickly noticed that the pinball would often bounce out of the return lane after traversing the wireform and making contact with the rubber pad.

Solution: I grabbed a thinner blue rubber pad (23-6702) and installed it in place of the thicker rubber pad (pn: 23-6686).

Now I thoroughly enjoy the mod. IMO it adds a neat element to gameplay and doesn't obstruct the playfield (which was the concern of some friends). I'm glad to have worked out the issue I had with it., and wanted to share my solution with the group.

Note: Also, my opinion, the only other drawback is that I don't think you can fit the spiral wireform AND that cool slot machine mod at the same time. I don't have the slot machine mod, but I don't see the two mods working together due to the wireform's design. If anyone has anything to add on this topic, please do.

For reference:

Stock wireform rubber pad pn: 23-6686
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=38-6686

Thinner rubber pad pn: 23-6702
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23-6702
Note: this thinner pad is used in the tough up-kick on games such as Judge Dredd. As of Jan-2014, Marco didn't have them in stock, but PPS seems to.

TZ-Spiral-Wireform-Mod.JPGTZ-Spiral-Wireform-Mod.JPG
#2 10 years ago

so YOU were the one I was bidding against (ha..... no really ,, I was bidding)

its a great mod... considering the spiral effect..... makes a lot of sense - would love to pick one up.. I would loose the slot machine mod for this mod

is there any link to the origin of them and maybe going to be remade?

enjoy it , and creative thinking will solve most of the quirks and fit problems out there.. good job

K

#3 10 years ago

Hey Brian,

Glad you found a solution! Definitely didn't work with the stock rubber...

#4 10 years ago

Hey that's my fiance's computer chair!

I have no idea who was making these either, but someone accused me of making them "under the table" in the auction thread I started. The person I bought it from also mentioned the need for small washers to level it out during gameplay, but I never even installed it.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I'll be honest, I didn't know how sought after it was when I put it up for auction. In fact I was a few seconds from putting it in the marketplace for $50 OBO!

3 weeks later
#5 10 years ago

They are being remade at the moment, but with some hostility by someone else who's remade them!
I've posted about them before, and will post again when I've tested the final product fully. Want to make them so you can also have the poker machine mod in place. Should be done in 1-2 weeks, and letting the guy who's making them sell them directly - starving artist type!

1 year later
#6 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

They are being remade at the moment, but with some hostility by someone else who's remade them!
I've posted about them before, and will post again when I've tested the final product fully. Want to make them so you can also have the poker machine mod in place. Should be done in 1-2 weeks, and letting the guy who's making them sell them directly - starving artist type!

1-2 weeks.... It's been a year. Any updates?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 132.00
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-spiral-wireform-mod-tech-tip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.