• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wire1.jpg
wire2.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Where can I get a better 5 million target for my TZ? It keeps bending back and I've got a slight divot in the scoop. Are there any modifications that can be made to the target? I tried to pull it forward, but it didn't work for long and triggered a switch error as the leaf switch probably moved too much when I pulled it forward.

Thx

#2 9 years ago

Hi

Check pbresource. Scroll down on this page. Steve has a reinforced target to solve for this very issue.

http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm

#3 9 years ago

There is a reinforced target available, but if yours is bent back, there is a good chance the welds on the scoop are broken also. You can replace the scoop assembly with a replacement one that has a built in reinforcement for the target, or if your welds and scoop are still ok, just replace the target with the reinforced one. The stock setup always fails. The origional target bends back, exposing the side of the scoop, and the ball hitting the side of the scoop breaks the welds.

#4 9 years ago

That target has always been a PITA for my machine as well. I have seen a fix on pinside but did not add it to my favorite's .

#5 9 years ago

I also posted this in the TZ owners thread, but I installed the sling shot hinge bracket fix from http://www.marvin3m.com/tzmod/ about 10 years ago and the target has not bent backwards since.

#6 9 years ago

Think I posted on the TZ owners thread....got the Mantis scoop w/ built in brace for that target:

http://www.mantisamusements.com/tzscoop.htm

best $65.00 I ever spent...fixed once and for all.........mark

#7 9 years ago

I am looking at the Mantis scoop. My new TZ has the scoop welds broken and the target is bashed back. I was told by someone that the mantis scoop reenforcement bracket has gotten bashed back a little along with the target. I wonder if you can do the mantis scoop with the reenforced target?

#8 9 years ago

I put the mantis scoop in mine and it's great. Not sure if the reinforced switch will fit or not, but you could notch the brace for the target if needed to make it fit.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I am looking at the Mantis scoop. My new TZ has the scoop welds broken and the target is bashed back. I was told by someone that the mantis scoop reenforcement bracket has gotten bashed back a little along with the target. I wonder if you can do the mantis scoop with the reenforced target?

can't imagine that brace getting bashed back, but I guess anything is possible...it's horizontal steel tacked onto the scoop....entire assembly pretty solid...if your scoop welds are broken, this is definitely the right way to go, imho...mark

#10 9 years ago

Thanks guys. My scoop welds are in tact. Going to order from pbresource, not the easiest guys to order from, but should be worth it.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks guys. My scoop welds are in tact. Going to order from pbresource, not the easiest guys to order from, but should be worth it.

I would just add a reinforcement to it , its very easy and cost very little . The new supposed to better target is so sturdy that u will get alot of airballs and possibly break some things. I used a metal pop bumper yolk bc thats what I had at the time but its worked so well with no airballs I have decided to keep it inst4 of changing to the more common sling shot hinge

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I am inept . I could not figure out how to place an order for the TZ target off of PBresorce web sit.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I am inept . I could not figure out how to place an order for the TZ target off of PBresorce web sit.

I bought one of those re-inforced ones (from Marco), and it bent backwards within the first few hundred games. So, even with that, you'll want some thing else for support. (Haven't fixed mine yet, but liking the suggestions in this thread)

#14 9 years ago

This is an easy fix. I also used this same fix for the swamp targets in TAF. Go find some 12 gauge electrician wire, cut around 6 inches or so. Put a shooter rubber cap on each end of it, and wedge it behind the targets in an L shape. Have not had any problems since.

#15 9 years ago

Capper, do you have a picture for this fix ?

#16 9 years ago

What do people think of the steel rod being sold on ebay?
Look like it reenforces all three targets. But it just a piece of rod? Just search twilight zone pinball and youll see the auction for the piece of steel bend rod.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

This is an easy fix. I also used this same fix for the swamp targets in TAF. Go find some 12 gauge electrician wire, cut around 6 inches or so. Put a shooter rubber cap on each end of it, and wedge it behind the targets in an L shape. Have not had any problems since.

12g wire is pretty flexible, not sure how this would work.

I pulled my target out last night and the bracket was bent. I bent it back and it's back to normal. I need to think of a way to reinforce it, something to wrap around the base of the target that acts as a clamp. Possibly a large zip tie, maybe even a hose clamp wrapped in electrical tape.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

12g wire is pretty flexible, not sure how this would work.
I pulled my target out last night and the bracket was bent. I bent it back and it's back to normal. I need to think of a way to reinforce it, something to wrap around the base of the target that acts as a clamp. Possibly a large zip tie, maybe even a hose clamp wrapped in electrical tape.

Slingshot bracket or pop bumper metal yolk like I said above works great ant tskes no time

#19 9 years ago

Various ways of fixing the problem:
http://www.marvin3m.com/tzmod/

I went with option 2c and the solution was flawless for 10+ years now.

#20 9 years ago

I bought a reinforced target about 5 or 6 years ago. It worked great.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

you dont, you call or email him. He sends you the order and an invoice. you send him a check.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

I put the mantis scoop in mine and it's great. Not sure if the reinforced switch will fit or not, but you could notch the brace for the target if needed to make it fit.

I put in the PBR reinforced switch with the Mantis scoop several years ago. They went together without any modification and have worked great. I also used the reinforced switch for the clock millions target as well, since mine was bashed back somewhat. That has been fine since I switched it as well.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from rviguet:

I also used the reinforced switch for the clock millions target as well, since mine was bashed back somewhat. That has been fine since I switched it as well.

Yeah this is another area of concern for me. Mine is ok, but you can tell the original green traget has been replaced. I can see it moving when I hit it sometimes. Just looks fimsy and gets some hard hits there.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

What do people think of the steel rod being sold on ebay?
Look like it reenforces all three targets. But it just a piece of rod? Just search Twilight Zone pinball and youll see the auction for the piece of steel bend rod.

Can't find it. Link?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

ebay.com link » Tz Twilight Zone Pinball Machine Slot Target Bending Fix
Looks like they all sold.
Here's the pictures.

wire2.jpg
wire1.jpg

I want one. Don't have the means to make one myself.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I want one. Don't have the means to make one myself.

Easy to learn. Hammer, vice, hunk of wire, pliers.

LTG : )™

#28 9 years ago

I would imagine if you just get on eBay and message the guy he most likely has more.
Magicchiz

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Here's the pictures.

wire2.jpg
wire1.jpg

That's almost exactly what I did, although I used a tilt bob stick thing and just bent it to suit my needs. Been fine.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-6231

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

Capper, do you have a picture for this fix ?

Quoted from Magicchiz:

Here's the pictures.

wire2.jpg
wire1.jpg

Its basically this. Go get some 12 gauge wire (it will have a white/black and copper in the sleeve) and bend it like the pictures above. I put a rubber cap on the end so no wire ends were exposed. I'll try to take a picture later if needed but its exactly like the ones i quoted.

#31 9 years ago

I wound up ordering the slot and clock enhanced switches fom PBR. They were very responsive and easy to deal with.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-slot-target and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.