(Topic ID: 95587)

TZ - silver pinballs in gumball machine?

By dluth

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dmacy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
20140728_143845.jpg
20140728_144022.jpg
20140728_144051.jpg
DSC08262 (Medium).JPG

#1 5 years ago

I don't have many mods in my TZ, but one thing I am keen to do is put gumballs in the machine along with a LED kit. As others have pointed out, on the backglass image the gumball machine is filled with pinballs, so I would prefer to reflect this rather than have the usual coloured balls. Normal sized pinballs seem too big and out of proportion, and I'm not even sure would fit.
I had a brainwave last night thinking of Family Guy and the small pinball in that game, and thought I'd order a bunch of those. Then I found there's all different sizes out there (www.pbresource.com/Balls.html).
So my question is, do you TZ guys out there think the 3/4" ball would be good, and how many would I need to order to fill up the machine? Its diameter is 70% of a normal pinball and it's about a third of the volume.

#2 5 years ago

Even 3/4" seems big to me. Maybe look at 1/2" ball bearings?

#3 5 years ago

The biggest problem with putting in gumballs is actually getting them into the container. A lot of the multi-color gumballs are just small enough that they can be squeezed into the container from the top without taking apart the gumball machine, but I have heard that even this approach can be difficult. Make sure you know what you are walking into. I never put gumballs in my TZ because I also liked the balls that match the translight, but was unwilling to tackle gumball machine dis-assembly just for the look.

Good luck on what ever you do.

#4 5 years ago

How about pachinko balls?

#5 5 years ago

Anyone know the diameter of the 'standard' glass gumballs people put in these, eg. the ones from pinbits?

#6 5 years ago

Pachinko balls will fit perfectly. I did it to mine. I liked the look better.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks - any link to where you bought them?

#8 5 years ago

How about a picture with the pachinko balls in the gumball machine. I would love to see how that looks.

#9 5 years ago

I suggest the white, grey, & silver mix. They look awesome and match the translate. The white represents the powerball. Ask Pinbits for that mix and they might do that for you... )

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#10 5 years ago

Sorry no pics. I am in California for a bit just got in yesterday so I don't have access. You can pick them up online quite a few places sell them.

4 weeks later
#11 5 years ago

So I went with the pachinko balls. 50 for $12 delivered from Japan (vie eBay). They fill the gumball machine about half way up. I could certainly fit another 50 in but I think this is about right. With the Pinbits lighting mod it brings the gumball machine alive!
Thanks to PINBELL for the idea.

DSC08262 (Medium).JPG

#12 5 years ago

I was a little skeptical but now that I see it I like it. Looks good great job. Another nice functional mod if you don't have it is the clock LED board mod from Rob Anthony.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/now-available-ingos-tz-clock-board-borygard-le-version

#13 5 years ago

Cool I did this also as soon as I received my tz I used ball bearings . I still have alot left if anyone would like them for cheap? I had to buy a 100 .

#14 5 years ago

Yes I recently installed Ingo's board - the changing LED version...and found out there was a Rottendog board in there! It sounds like Ingo's is an upgrade anyway and I love the changing colours.
The gumbal lighting kit I was also skeptical about but I do think it's one o the better mods out there. The flashing red lights when it's ready to load are a great touch.

#15 5 years ago

I went with the Pinbits light kit as well and can say it really helps brighten it up back there. And like dluth said, the red LEDs for the Gumball ready is a great touch. I didn't go with the silver balls but they all look great to me.

image.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Machine - For Sale
Madison, AL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside