Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinballManiac40
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I turn machine on and sometimes, while playing, the game will shut off by itself. Sometimes it'll reset and sometimes it will stay shut off. When it stays shut off I have to turn machine "off" and back on physically by flipping switch below machine. And even then sometimes machine won't immediately turn back on. When it doesn't turn back on I wait a bit (10-20 mins.) and then it'll turn on.

When the problem first appeared the machine didn't reset/turn off too often (maybe every 20 or 30 plays). Problem seems to have gotten much worse over time. In fact, sometimes I will turn on machine and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and then it will just reset, or turn off, for no apparent reason.

Any thoughts and comments on possible problems/fixes would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

You either have a weird sort somewhere, or (more likely) your 5v is not stable. Buy one of Rob Kahr's boards or go through the pin wiki on resets.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php

#3 2 years ago

Try reseating J101, J102, J114 on the power driver board and J210 on the MPU. As you remove especially J101, look for burnt pins and discolored connector housings.

#4 2 years ago

Have the batteries been changed? any acid damage?

#5 2 years ago

www.kahr.us

#6 2 years ago

Check pinwiki, sounds like the varistor has gone bad. Easy fix if that's it.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Have the batteries been changed? any acid damage?

There is no acid in an alkaline battery. Cleaning methods for acid damage will be counter productive.

#8 2 years ago

Take the varistor out to test - you don't need it for the game to run. You may want to replace it if it has indeed gone bad though, it protects from overvoltaging

#9 2 years ago

Do you have a multimeter?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

There is no acid in an alkaline battery. Cleaning methods for acid damage will be counter productive.

I know that as do most experienced pinball people, batteries leak alkaline which is a base and must be neutralized with acid. Seeing as this is a new member i didn't want to confuse by saying alkaline damage. Now if he posts a pic with damage I would have clarified and led him in the proper direction.

1 month later
#11 2 years ago

Any progress?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 999.00
$ 279.95
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 159.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carolina Forest, SC
$ 78.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pleasanton, CA
$ 10.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Santa Clara, CA
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside