(Topic ID: 240109)

TZ restoration to Mylar or not to Mylar?

By Squeakman

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Squeakman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9092A754-A64D-4133-801A-9EC91AF0CAA2 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tahitiansea.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago

I went through this same issue. I restored a Funhouse and installed a brand new playfield. I opted for a playfield protector as I didn’t want to Mylar the playfield. The playfield protector looked amazing but it did change how it played and I had a few tiny things under it. I could handle those two things but what ultimately made me decide to remove it was the cutout for the left shooter lane switch was causing the trajectory of the ball to change and it would hit the side of the steps ramp. I adjusted the shooter rod but to now avail. I dreaded the thought of removing all the ramps again to remove they playfield protector so I actually used scissors and cut out the playfield protector and threw it any. I’m not trying to bag in the PP but for my particular game, it was creating issues. I was constantly worrying about playfield damage over the next few days and ending up putting Mylar in the high traffic area and was really glad I did. It was real easy to put. Just take your time and watch a few videos. Start with the small Mylar parts (drop) and get a feel for it. You can barely see where I added Mylar to the playfield in Funhouse and I was really glad I did. I wax my machine every 200 plays but even this won’t save you from wear due to scoop ejects and ball drop. For me, Mylar is the way to go. If you have a playfield with raised inserts or paint touchups, the playfield protector is a better choice. For me, i think Mylar is the way to go on new / newer playfields. Older playfield with some damage / insert issues - playfield protectors. Just my opinion as I debated this way too much a few months ago.

#8 4 years ago

I also have a TZ and can’t imagine how much wear it would get in the pops or in front of the slot machine scoop. TZ has a lot of drops / high traffic areas that I wouldn’t be comfortable leaving unprotected. At a minimum, I would Mylar them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tahitiansea.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-restoration-to-mylar-or-not-to-mylar?tu=tahitiansea and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.