(Topic ID: 240109)

TZ restoration to Mylar or not to Mylar?

By Squeakman

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Squeakman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9092A754-A64D-4133-801A-9EC91AF0CAA2 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Squeakman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I am looking for honest opinions on mylaring my TZ when I do a full tear down and refurb for protection. I hear people say in home use that it’s not needed but I have a funhouse that was immaculate that has worn heavily and now will eventually need a new playfield because of insert damage. I ask because my playfield is immaculate but I can see a few slightly lifted inserts and the start of some very very slight insert wear on the lower inserts by the flipper. This playfield is too nice to replace. Is there a detailed thread for proper Mylar installation and how have people liked results if you have done it. Marco has a pre cut sheet ready to install. I’d rather not hear people say it’s dumb to put down Mylar but instead offer real solutions if they don’t agree. I would put one of those Lexan protectors on it but I hear nothing but complaints about balls getting stuck and the like. How hard is it to level inserts if that needs done?

#3 5 years ago

Forceflow, it’s nice to hear others are using Mylar. This is what I am wanting to hear. Most assume low use won’t cause wear but it can and will. It’s hard to justify spending 1k for a new playfield when the one in the game is near flawless.

#12 5 years ago

i route a TZ for almost 10 years now. bought it pretty much HUO (or as close as it gets), and put custom mylar over the entire playfield, day one. waxed first, then carefully installed with no bubbles or lifting edges. to this day, you still would never know it’s there, either in appearance or gameplay. 50,000+ plays later, not a scratch or chipped/worn insert. without it, my play field would probably be a mess. i’d recommend it.</blockquote

Bigehrl that is amazing. I am curious if you had any raised inserts before you installed the Mylar? That’s my issue is a have a handful of very very slightly raised inserts and the one lightning bolt insert by the piano is raised more. My playfield is immaculate now and I want to keep it that way. I’ll have to check out that playfield thread from Vid to see how feasible it would be to level them before the Mylar addition. I just can’t see replacing this playfield with a new one being how nice it is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.50
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 22.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
$ 132.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Squeakman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-restoration-to-mylar-or-not-to-mylar?tu=Squeakman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.